Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
hey guys, guys, guys, i don't know if anyone has ever said this, but

butt

coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

notwithoutmyanus posted:

My only highlight is so you don't get hosed/where they can gently caress you. I don't care if the opposite happens to crypto people, they're as lovely as any other cutthroat people and deserve the karma they get.

As said and easily predictable, these discord groups are all over the place and if poo poo happens they'll nuke their servers anyway.

What's sad is it's an excessive amount of money looking to make more from pure greed and given circumstances in the world speaks volumes about how much people care about money above all. And they always have a way to scrape together more money somehow. It's inconceivable to me.

As someone who's exclusively a freelancer now, this isn't so much about getting rich off idiots as it is I would like to afford to live and get equipment upgrades to do my job better.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

hey guys, guys, guys, i don't know if anyone has ever said this, but

butt

coin.

:hmmyes: interesting

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah it means Seraph might rereg and brag about buying a SkeeDoo because #ToTheMoon

It was a genuinely nice surprise to see Seraph come back and spend like 18 hours trying on the "contrite, humbler, wiser Seraph" persona before he couldn't take it anymore and broke down like someone covered in poison ivy rashes giving in and wildly scratching every crazy itch 'til it's bloody, just whiplashing hard back into being the big ol' weird cryptogoober he is and getting banned was a riot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Time_pants posted:

It was a genuinely nice surprise to see Seraph come back and spend like 18 hours trying on the "contrite, humbler, wiser Seraph" persona before he couldn't take it anymore and broke down like someone covered in poison ivy rashes giving in and wildly scratching every crazy itch 'til it's bloody, just whiplashing hard back into being the big ol' weird cryptogoober he is and getting banned was a riot.

He did it for months at one point when crypto was real fuckin low, like $2000 butts, he laid low in the thread just asking questions, but once it started to perk up, Seraph couldn't help himself and got on that manic poo poo before he ripped the mask off and revealed himself as the messiah of cryptocurrency who was able to buy a small townhouse off of butts.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

quote:

On July 30th, 2022, history was made by Frida.nft & CEO Martin Mobarak when Martin burned his $10M rare art piece by Frida Kahlo, to transform and revolutionize the Art, NFT, Charity Worlds, and Health Sector. This profound act was done for unfortunate and sick children, battered women and other less fortunate around the world to receive hope. Frida Kahlo became immortalized in NFT form. Her art that is now shared around the world has created donations that will continue to grow in perpetuity.

“I am proud to say this event will solve some of the worlds biggest problems in honor of Frida Kahlo”
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/d...ntation-2183391

quote:

But since it’s caught some media buzz, the Institute of Fine Arts and Literature (INBAL) in Mexico is loudly denouncing Mobarak, while a couple of the Mexican institutions listed as beneficiaries, the Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo Museums Trust and Mexico’s Palace of Fine Arts, are saying they had no knowledge of the stunt, according to Metro. INBAL authorities are now investigating Mobarak because Kahlo’s works are considered national treasures, and destroying one would be a federal crime.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
loving wimps won't immortalize themselves on the blockchain so they burn priceless art instead. put your rear end on the line first

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Federal Crimes, yessssssssssss

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Barudak posted:

Federal Crimes, yessssssssssss

I'd even go as far as saying this is actually terrorism, not any different than when people destroy any other form of significant historical artifacts.

This reminds me of a part of my crypto experience that I don't recall if I mentioned.

When I was involved with this banksy NFT project, they wanted to do this sort of poo poo too. "Turn the Banksy into an NFT to immortalize it forever and then destroy it".
I reminded the person that before they consider it they should take a million photos of the artwork from a million angles and be sure to use a professional grade camera/pay a photographer to do so and submit it to national archives. Then again not sure Banksy knows or cares.

To this, they didn't understand or blink at the concept of anything involving archives. Apparently people have no idea how much they're loving any concept of art.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh good, NFT assholes have evolved into supporting destruction of art. Too bad we probably won’t see that trend picking up with NFT prices in the gutter. Would have loved to see more people documenting their crime.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

lynch_69 posted:

It bums me out that the leadership of a company like Chipotle or SquareEnix or Ubisoft has to latch on to these empty buzzwords and pretend it's the greatest thing ever, for what? To appease their shareholders by adding the words "Blockchain" and "NFT" to a quarterly report? These executives aren't dumb, they know none of this poo poo has any actual use but they play along. Are their core businesses in such trouble that they need to desperately gin up any interest in their stock prices by dabbling in blockchain? I know this is how GameStop is staying afloat, but they've been a dead business walking for several years now - to see actual established companies like a Ubisoft or a SquareEnix or even Chipotle scrape the bottom of the barrell like this makes me wonder if a lot of these large companies (and the economy at large) are desperate and out of ideas.

I know that everyone's already pointed this out, but I just wanted to reiterate: the executives are dumb. Well, not exactly dumb, but they usually only have a superficial understanding of their business. Executives think in buzzwords. AI! Blockchain! Gig economy! Whatever's the new hotness in business, they swarm it like moths to a bright light. They're extremely bad at distinguishing between stuff that is genuinely revolutionary, like AI, from things that are just hype, like blockchain (and even with AI they don't understand how it works and assume that it's magic fairy dust they can throw at any problem). The only things they understand well is executive stuff: board meetings, securing capital, company balance sheets, layoffs, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SettingSun posted:

Oh good, NFT assholes have evolved into supporting destruction of art. Too bad we probably won’t see that trend picking up with NFT prices in the gutter. Would have loved to see more people documenting their crime.

Uh, they've been at the destruction of art stage for a bit. Remember the whole Dune book thing they thought they were magically getting ownership rights for, that they were going to turn into NFTs and destroy the book after?

Yeah. Not a new phase.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Book burning is in fact good, thanks to the blockchain!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I always enjoy those "we'll let you keep some of the money you stole if you pretty please give it back" stories but this one is extra delicious:

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1575348968288096259

quote:

Congratulations on this, we got careless and you sure managed to get us good, that was not easy to see. We would like this cooperate with you on resolving this matter. Return the funds to @x19603D249DF53d8b1650c762c4df316013Dce840 before September 28 at 23:59 GMT and we will consider this a whitehat, we will give you 20% of the retrieved amount as a bug bounty, payable as you see fit. Should the funds not be returned by then, we will have no choice but to pursue accordingly with everything in our power with the appropriate authorities to retrieve our funds.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

HappyHippo posted:

I always enjoy those "we'll let you keep some of the money you stole if you pretty please give it back" stories but this one is extra delicious:

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1575348968288096259

This bot made money by scamming a USDC holder (someone tried trading $1.8m and due to the amazing blockchain technology instead received only $500 and the rest was stolen by the bot). Then the bot itself was hacked by another crypto scammer. The whole ecosystem is just scams.

Imagine trying to transfer $1.8m of your money between two banks in a world where both banks are scams and then they use a 3rd party app to facilitate the transfer between each other which is also a separate scam. Then the
scam transfer app also gets scammed by a 4th party.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 29, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

lynch_69 posted:

I know this is how GameStop is staying afloat, but they've been a dead business walking for several years now
The GME bagholders are my favorite vocal internet idiots in the non-crypto financial sphere, especially with how deep they've gone into conspiracy territory over the falling price of their stock and the awful company it's connected to. The last time I checked on them a couple months ago, they were gearing up for their "battle to $40" to bring the price back up when it it hit the low $30s. How's that going for them now?

"If we buy as much stock as we can with every paycheck and hold onto it forever and never sell, the price will eventually just skyrocket up until we'll be millionaires. No, it doesn't matter if the company is poo poo and makes bad decisions on the regular, is constantly losing money on dumb things like NFTs, isn't making quarterly/yearly targets, and is being outcompeted by other venues in the same market sector.... Why would what a company does have any effect on its market price? Are you stupid? Just HODL and shut up, normie."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Uh, they've been at the destruction of art stage for a bit. Remember the whole Dune book thing they thought they were magically getting ownership rights for, that they were going to turn into NFTs and destroy the book after?

Yeah. Not a new phase.

That lady with the diamond as well. At least she took some low quality photos first!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PITY BONER posted:

The GME bagholders are my favorite vocal internet idiots in the non-crypto financial sphere, especially with how deep they've gone into conspiracy territory over the falling price of their stock and the awful company it's connected to. The last time I checked on them a couple months ago, they were gearing up for their "battle to $40" to bring the price back up when it it hit the low $30s. How's that going for them now?

"If we buy as much stock as we can with every paycheck and hold onto it forever and never sell, the price will eventually just skyrocket up until we'll be millionaires. No, it doesn't matter if the company is poo poo and makes bad decisions on the regular, is constantly losing money on dumb things like NFTs, isn't making quarterly/yearly targets, and is being outcompeted by other venues in the same market sector.... Why would what a company does have any effect on its market price? Are you stupid? Just HODL and shut up, normie."

I'm probably confusing them with AMC--was the gamestop boom at all effective on keeping the company alive? It was either them or AMC that was able to pay off some debts and keep the lights on for a while after its stock exploded.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

GME is my favorite. The squeeze they’re all waiting for already happened!!!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I know that everyone's already pointed this out, but I just wanted to reiterate: the executives are dumb. Well, not exactly dumb, but they usually only have a superficial understanding of their business. Executives think in buzzwords. AI! Blockchain! Gig economy! Whatever's the new hotness in business, they swarm it like moths to a bright light. They're extremely bad at distinguishing between stuff that is genuinely revolutionary, like AI, from things that are just hype, like blockchain (and even with AI they don't understand how it works and assume that it's magic fairy dust they can throw at any problem). The only things they understand well is executive stuff: board meetings, securing capital, company balance sheets, layoffs, etc.

Keep in mind this Chipotle promotion was paid for by the burritocoin people. They basically offered to buy $20,000 worth of Chipotle as a PR stunt. I'm not terribly surprised Chipotle PR/Marketing people jumped on it, though I'm a little surprised they did it for such a small amount of money. Chipotle had about $20M in revenue per day last year.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I'm probably confusing them with AMC--was the gamestop boom at all effective on keeping the company alive? It was either them or AMC that was able to pay off some debts and keep the lights on for a while after its stock exploded.

Hello no man, it's a company that sells used video games at the mall. They sold their own shares and cashed out with bigass executive bonuses https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gamestop-ceo-matt-furlong-got-paid-16-8-million-in-2021-for-a-half-year-of-work-11649783285

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

AMC did pay off their debt.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks to both above, I did have em mixed up.:tipshat:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rad Russian posted:

Imagine trying to transfer $1.8m of your money between two banks in a world where both banks are scams and then they use a 3rd party app to facilitate the transfer between each other which is also a separate scam. Then the

all the way down

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

This bot made money by scamming a USDC holder (someone tried trading $1.8m and due to the amazing blockchain technology instead received only $500 and the rest was stolen by the bot). Then the bot itself was hacked by another crypto scammer. The whole ecosystem is just scams.

I'm in a group where people talk solidity (ethereum/blockchain) development. The only thing they have interest in appears to be making MEV bots. When I pointed out that it literally screams "do not use the blockchain", they didn't seem to care. All they saw were dollar signs.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any of you goons in the know have any more info about Nugen coin? I’m the guy who’s neighbors are heavily into it. For the last 3 months they haven’t spoken a single word to me about Nugen like they used to do before.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any of you goons in the know have any more info about Nugen coin? I’m the guy who’s neighbors are heavily into it. For the last 3 months they haven’t spoken a single word to me about Nugen like they used to do before.

This is literally the only news I've heard about it, and I feel it's all the information I need to know everything there is to know about it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol at buying a Nugen coin. Tell them you have a bridge to sell them.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Piggy Smalls posted:

fullroundaction posted:

I just went to check on Nugen again since someone mentioned it upthread.

The public Facebook group has a post asking people to switch over to Telegram on July 3rd, a cryptic post on July 14th saying peoples coins are being transferred to the “new platform wallet” (accompanied by several confused comments wondering where their coins are now and how to access them) and then a final post on July 15 with comments disabled that simply reads “Will be back soon” and then nothing else since.

So it’s probably going great for everyone.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Canada has put out a warning about Nugen Coin. Hey Nugen neighbor, any updates?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Piggy Smalls posted:

They probably lost all their money and feel really stupid now.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Piggy Smalls posted:

Tell them you've changed your mind and are ready to accept NugenCoin into your life. See what happens

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Extra Large Marge posted:

Hello no man, it's a company that sells used video games at the mall. They sold their own shares and cashed out with bigass executive bonuses https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gamestop-ceo-matt-furlong-got-paid-16-8-million-in-2021-for-a-half-year-of-work-11649783285

Not just that, they’re terrible at selling used games.

I’m a cheapskate. I like buying used games. Games at GameStop are always, always more expensive than buying off eBay. I’m not even talking a few bucks I’m talking double or triple.

Last week I got a used PS5 copy of Assassins Creed Valhalla on eBay for $10, shipped. Looking at GS right now it’s $17. It’s even worse if you look at anything vaguely new. Just looked up the PS5 version of Elden Ring and used they have it for $55. There are a bunch on eBay for ~25 with less than an hour left so call it ~30 plus 5 shipping.

It’s even worse if you want to sell something.

There is literally no reason to buy or sell with GameStop.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Used at GameStop means 5 dollars off new or 2 dollars off new. When buying New it may or may not be unopened.

GameStop loving sucks lol

Edit: or they charge more for used than new! And they’ll just rip the plastic off new games and call them used and charge more lol

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 29, 2022

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

At this point it would make more sense for them to switch over to selling board games and/or providing space to play for a subscription fee like a gym.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

At this point it would make more sense for them to switch over to selling board games and/or providing space to play for a subscription fee like a gym.

There was a test store somewhere that was a lan center that had an area that sold games. It felt like a good direction for the business to grow, no sure if they’re expanding that at all

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Gutcruncher posted:

There was a test store somewhere that was a lan center that had an area that sold games. It felt like a good direction for the business to grow, no sure if they’re expanding that at all

Game in the UK do that.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GameStop? You mean the Funko POP! store?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Nugen update!

Looks like they finally got listed on an exchange (the previous policy was "no sell, only buy")

If this graph is right, it... didnt go well:

Cutting out that initial drop which might be bad data (?), it looks like this

What did the neighbors originally pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

drk posted:

Nugen update!

Looks like they finally got listed on an exchange (the previous policy was "no sell, only buy")

If this graph is right, it... didnt go well:

Cutting out that initial drop which might be bad data (?), it looks like this

What did the neighbors originally pay?

It looks like when Piggy Smalls' neighbors were trying to get him into it, the buy-in was at 10 cents a coin? But there were also multiple coins weird poo poo to do with transferring coins between wallets. I dunno what was really happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still hard or impossible for most people to cash out.