Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Plants rot faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

And the onion crank

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shear Modulus posted:

And the onion crank

:rip:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jeeves posted:

Yeah killed in COVID along with the $5 huge chicken salad that was honestly a great lunch.

That one I can understand, fresh greens require a lot of logistics and the supply chain is still all hosed up. But the combo pizzas come in frozen for pete's sake.

edit: they ditched Hebrew National for the hotdogs a decade ago?! My whole worldview is shattered.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 29, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

That one I can understand, fresh greens require a lot of logistics and the supply chain is still all hosed up. But the combo pizzas come in frozen for pete's sake.

I don’t think they were frozen

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think they were frozen

I mean they sold them frozen as standalone if you wanted to cook it at home, I figured they were all like that. I guess they could all arrive refrigerated and then they freeze only the ones that don't go to the foodcourt. I guess that could make it harder to keep the green peppers fresh. But I mean even subway can (kinda) manage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero VGS posted:

I mean they sold them frozen as standalone if you wanted to cook it at home, I figured they were all like that. I guess they could all arrive refrigerated and then they freeze only the ones that don't go to the foodcourt. I guess that could make it harder to keep the green peppers fresh. But I mean even subway can (kinda) manage.

This is not even remotely close. Where's our boy Marcus to set this straight?

Take and bake pizzas are a completely different product.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

StormDrain posted:

This is not even remotely close. Where's our boy Marcus Marius (?) to set this straight?

Take and bake pizzas are a completely different product.

Right?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’ve made pizzas in my teenage years and raw sausage loving sucks to work with and try to get into pizzas. It’s sticky…

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im happy to announce the chicken bake has not been cancelled as of September 28th 2022 5:54 PM.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Im happy to announce the chicken bake has not been cancelled as of September 28th 2022 5:54 PM.

It was better with the deli mustard imo. Yellow is fine on it I guess

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It was better with the deli mustard imo. Yellow is fine on it I guess

I keep a full fridge of condiments and a basting brush in my second office. I haven't tried mustard on the bakes yet

I will report back shortly after I baste the top of this with Dijon

Edit it's very very good. My master plan is to cut the fronts off of every chicken bake I eat and fill them with Dijon, bacon, and siracha. Then use a hand blender with a soft plastic tip to mix it all together. Low speed as to not degrade the chicken or puncture the shell.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I haven't seen frozen chicken thighs or frozen Kirkland cheese pizza in a while :smith: Surely not discontinued?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

edit: they ditched Hebrew National for the hotdogs a decade ago?! My whole worldview is shattered.

This man has never stepped foot into a Costco in his life

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

This man has never stepped foot into a Costco in his life

I've been in there constantly raiding their membership-free liquor store for my friends (and their pharmacy because they had the good blue Adderall instant generic instead of the lovely time release) but it's been a long time since I had a membership propper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They make the pizzas fresh. Like you can legit see them making the pizzas in the back lol

The take and bakes are also fresh and never afaik frozen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pizza's are fresh, but I don't think we sell take and bakes anymore. They had a push awhile back to try and make the pizza better, put in proofers to get the dough proofed right since so many people were just using it straight out the cooler. Personally I think they put too many toppings on. The Cheese is 1#8oz of cheese, that's too much. The Chicken bakes come in frozen now which is nice cause it sucked making those every morning

jeeves posted:

I’ve made pizzas in my teenage years and raw sausage loving sucks to work with and try to get into pizzas. It’s sticky…

Sausage came in frozen

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

They make the pizzas fresh. Like you can legit see them making the pizzas in the back lol

The take and bakes are also fresh and never afaik frozen.

Oh that could be, maybe my brain sees an uncooked pizza in a box and defaults to "frozen pizza" because I've never seen just a refrigerated pizza sold outside Costco.

I could only see them putting parmesan shreds on top of the chicken bakes while I was waiting today, I saw no pizza assembly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They don't have Papa Murphy's where you are

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

They don't have Papa Murphy's where you are

Never heard of it, and yes I agree they use too much cheese, only time in my life I've seen the plain cheese have substantially more calories than plain pepperoni. Texture-wise it feels like a layer of silly putty twice as thick as the crust that you're trying to bite through. In any event they're still kinda like 7/11 pizzas in that they're all great while warm but the crust gets really miserable once they cool down. A few of the only pizzas I don't like cold.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pape Murphy's is trash but it's delicious trash

Costco's sauce and dough aren't great but they make up for it by absolutely slathering it in NYC slice cheeze

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Costco's sauce and dough aren't great but they make up for it by absolutely slathering it in NYC slice cheeze

Also it’s cheap as poo poo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't think it's necessarily a price issue. I'd be willing to bet you could take their ingredients and mess with the proportions of stuff to get a better (but less dipshit crowd pleasing) pie

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
The take and bakes aren't even the same size as the food court pizzas - you'd never fit one in a standard kitchen oven - not to mention the toppings are different.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Somebody I used to work with would go to Papa Murphy's on Tuesdays(?) When they had a :10bux: as-many-toppings-as-you want large deal. He'd get double everything and eat one slice for dinner each day of the week. Every week.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It used to be $10 but is now $12.50 or something like that. And since they're not sold hot SNAP covers them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Strong Convections posted:

The take and bakes aren't even the same size as the food court pizzas - you'd never fit one in a standard kitchen oven - not to mention the toppings are different.

You sure about that? I remember the take and bakes being enormous.

I figured they just made them in the morning in the food court and boxed them up for sale.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Right as COVID hit, Costco Corp was in a groove of re-evaluating and experimenting with the food items. To the point where I remember the Beyond Meat Al Pastor Salad being semi-seasonal.

My preferred Co also had the double cheeseburger and Acai bowls.

My guess is the supply chains being whacked, along with the increased complexity of various rotating items, made them back off.

I'm really wondering what kind of data they got about costs vs performance for those other items, too.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

jeeves posted:

Yeah killed in COVID along with the $5 huge chicken salad that was honestly a great lunch.

I buy the ~$8 chicken salad for a family that's back in the deli area and split it into two lunches.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

I buy the ~$8 chicken salad for a family that's back in the deli area and split it into two lunches.

I'm gonna steal this good idea since there's a Costco less than 10 minutes from my work, thanks.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I find it ridiculous that in America, land of :btroll: that the Costco food court is as boring and bland as it is compared to the rest of the world

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FilthyImp posted:

Right as COVID hit, Costco Corp was in a groove of re-evaluating and experimenting with the food items. To the point where I remember the Beyond Meat Al Pastor Salad being semi-seasonal.

My preferred Co also had the double cheeseburger and Acai bowls.

My guess is the supply chains being whacked, along with the increased complexity of various rotating items, made them back off.

I'm really wondering what kind of data they got about costs vs performance for those other items, too.
We can only hope that Costco spends another $500 million dollars on constructing a complete vertically integrated supply of chopped onions, deli mustard, kraut, and vegetables for combo pizza.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

It used to be $10 but is now $12.50 or something like that. And since they're not sold hot SNAP covers them.

they're still $10 here, $12 for family size. rip you

but now I think they cap it at like 5 toppings or something. still a good deal, especially if you get those ridiculous stuffed pizzas with like 2 pounds of crust

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
papa murphys is legitimately delicious and a good deal. the greek pepperoni pizza is yummy. sadly I no longer live near one

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Fashionably Great posted:

I find it ridiculous that in America, land of :btroll: that the Costco food court is as boring and bland as it is compared to the rest of the world
not everything needs to be *~cUsToMiZeD~* to death like a basic bitch's starbucks order

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You say that now, but then you go to another country where asking to have easily left out ingredients you can't eat for dietary reasons is considered asking too much/a slight against the chef/you're expected to just not order those things

you won't hate American food systems so much at that point

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never had a bad experience at a Papa Murphy's. They're always clean and the staff always seems pretty happy to be working there. Not having the stress of delivery or baking the pizzas must do wonders for them

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Last time I went there was the only bad experience

Called ahead 20 minutes because I was getting coffee. Oops, called the wrong store. No big deal, my pizza will definitely be ready by the time I drive over there. [10 minute drive later and go into the store] It's not even been started. "Oh, sorry man, we're making it now". [10 minutes later] "Hey sorry man, we're making it now, thanks for waiting" [They start making it] "I'm really sorry, we messed that one up so we're gonna rush you a new one" [They put my "rush" order on the back pizza line to make it specifically, then forget it's there, the teenage staff lose the ticket and just ignore it, so I have to ask them 5 minutes later once I realize no one is going to touch it] "Oh yeah, sorry man, we'll get to it now" [They put it on the main line and make like 5 pizzas before mine].

Was waiting in there for 45 minutes for a pizza that should have been long finished. My wife was in the car and put the seat back and fell asleep lmao.

I'll still keep eating that trash

Thank you for reading my story about a take and bake pizza.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fashionably Great posted:

Don't think anybody said it was boring or bland but go off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The turkey sandwich was good