Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exmarx posted:

a bunch of rats are gonna scurry out of it

The rats symbolize rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every video i watch on HoTD has a description of the model city as a train set, legos, but its 100% a warhammer set. There's even a royal miniature maker there.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sentinel Red posted:

Don't even joke about this.

It will safely buried with him in a lavish crypt, his fleshless skull gazing over it lovingly for all eternity.

This except he’ll still be alive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mastajake posted:

This except he’ll still be alive.

Alicent: We had our differences, but how could you subject my poor husband to a torturous existence in that way?
Otto: What? No, it was his idea! He's so happy right now, he was singing a little song as we walled up the entranceway!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bobjr posted:

There won't be enough blood in him left to do that.

Like a leaking beanbag chair.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
EDIT: I'm just going to edit the whole thing out. It was a video analyzing Rhaenyra's poor politicking style (not a book spoiler, just an analysis of how she as acts in the first scene of episode 4). It mentioned the Blackwoods and Brackens and their feud. I guess that's a spoiler despite being mentioned again in episode 6. Whatever.

I'm actually impressed I'm on someone's ignore list for GoT spoilers of all things, I don't even remember posting that much in those threads back then, especially when that was a time when people were intentionally spoiling goons with avatars and FYAD having its name changed to spoilers every other week.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 29, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There aren't any book spoilers in there beyond [FUTURE EVENTS]

oh come onnnn

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Lol cmon pal. 11 years! 11 years you been doin this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Lol cmon pal. 11 years! 11 years you been doin this

...how long have you been doing math?

But, no, seriously. I just don't get the point of having a spoiler free thread if there are multiple posters who'll come in here and indicate the nature of future events, or try to guide people's speculation. I feel like anyone's who's been here for a decade (or nearly a decade in my case, oh gently caress) has seen it a bunch, and I know I've definitely seen posters leave threads because goons overstepped these boundaries -- something I feel it'd be so easy to just not do. I'm struggling to find a way to talk about this, but for the want of a better way: it just feels disrespectful, and against the ostensible goals of the thread.

If a thread's marked as being spoiler free, then surely it should be spoiler free?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I was agreeing with you and I know it has been that long cause I put that poster on ignore 11 years ago cause of GoT spoilers. I know that cause that’s the only time I ever put anybody on ignore. They seem nice, there’s no apparent malice behind it and they don’t seem to know they’re doing it. And that’s actually kinda funny now. 11 years!!!!!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
LOL, I'm actually curious what I could have been posting back then. 11 years ago would have been...season 1? I didn't even watch that season live because I distinctly remember not owning HBO back then, and there wasn't streaming in those ancient days, so I couldn't have been catching up until they did re-runs before season 2.

FAKE EDIT: I think that's correct. I only started posting in the hiatus thread. A whole 15 posts across 112 pages. One being that Renly being gay was supported by the text, several being "Oh, they cut a Ned flashback scene." (it was the Tower of Joy, but I never say what was in the flashback or even say that name), and and one being a description of Dany's nightmares before she wakes up and jumps in the bonefire (a book 1 event that already passed by the time I was posting in the hiatus thread). I'm wondering which of those got me put on ignore.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Finally caught up. Holy poo poo, this episode. GoT: Emotional Intelligence Edition is harrowing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like the marriage proposal was either an attempt to get under Alicent's skin in a deniable way or a means to score points with her father and make it look like she's trying to patch things up. 'I will marry my totally-not-a-bastard child to your trueborn child' isn't much of a proposal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like the marriage proposal was either an attempt to get under Alicent's skin in a deniable way or a means to score points with her father and make it look like she's trying to patch things up. 'I will marry my totally-not-a-bastard child to your trueborn child' isn't much of a proposal.

Did you catch the way her own marriage was negotiated? Some true romance and love poo poo right there, I tell you hwat

I mean Rhaenyra, but also applies to Alicent I guess

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I can't hate on Alicent. Olivia Cooke's face is just nowhere as hateable as Cercie's face.

She also was doing her "duty" for her dad and getting on goon king's good side and making babies for him despite his rotting body. No cheating with Spaniard Jake Gyllenhaal either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I do think this show, especially with the last 2 episodes, has entered into the realm of "prestige tv" that GoT never really got to. GoT was great TV and always fun, but it pretty much established itself as tits and dragons early on and coasted on its popularity. This is more like actual prestige drama that also happens to be fantasy IMO.

It's not as good as the good seasons of GOT so I'm not sure where this comes from.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think at this point she's honestly fearing for her family and has, at least for now, abandoned her interest in strengthening her claim on the throne. That is more or less what she said to Laenor at the end of the episode before they headed off to Dragonstone.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This show's audio is so loving wacky. One scene's dialog will be normal-ish volume, but then the very next scene I have to crank it way up to hear what people are saying. It's like it isn't normalized scene-to-scene at all.

e: I'm watching it on the HBO Max app on AppleTV, with a Sonos 5.1 setup. I do have the "turn loving loud-rear end explosions down" since I have a kid bedroom adjacent to the living room, but that's all the volume settings I mess with.

We gave up and have been watching it with subtitles since the second episode. It was tiring having to rewind every once in a while to hear an important line that was drowned out by footsteps or w/e.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Baronash posted:

I think at this point she's honestly fearing for her family and has, at least for now, abandoned her interest in strengthening her claim on the throne. That is more or less what she said to Laenor at the end of the episode before they headed off to Dragonstone.

We gave up and have been watching it with subtitles since the second episode. It was tiring having to rewind every once in a while to hear an important line that was drowned out by footsteps or w/e.

I have a soundbar with a "Truvolume" setting that basically keeps volume at a steady level. I know it's bastardizing the intended sound or whatever but I just can't watch anything normally without having the volume so high to hear the quiet stuff that actual loud noises show up without warning and blow my face off. I live in an apartment too so I'm self conscious about bothering my neighbors.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm running a soundbar with an Apple TV, and House of the Dragon, and the HBO Max app in general is the only one I don't need to use subtitles on to make sure I catch everything. Netflix tends to be fine as well, but it more of a show by show basis. I need to keep subtitles on for everything on Disney+, and The Boys is the only show I haven't needed it for on Prime.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I'm on eps 6 atm, I feel like HoTD has potential to be GoT Season 1 level good

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Robert and Cersei’s season one discussion but it’s Viserys talking about how he loves life and his family, with a disgusted looking Alicent not paying attention

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

She also was doing her "duty" for her dad and getting on goon king's good side and making babies for him despite his rotting body. No cheating with Spaniard Jake Gyllenhaal either.

I mean broadly speaking, there's very few true villains in the show. Cripplefinger is the outlier, but everyone else is doing their duty or coming from a fairly reasonable position (Cole turning spurned nice guy aside). They're just making very human mistakes along the way, rather than malicious intent, that increasingly build up the tension.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Morrow posted:

Cripplefinger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the thing about HBO: 95% of their shows are good to excellent, including owning the number 1, 2, 3, and 4 all time great show slots.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Here's the thing about HBO: 95% of their shows are good to excellent, including owning the number 1, 2, 3, and 4 all time great show slots.

???? Mad Men was on AMC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mameluke posted:

???? Mad Men was on AMC

Look Arli$$ is the number one show of all time, there's just no arguing it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ya I guess I'm forgetting about Real Sex as well

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

If Rome was released in the last 10 years we'd have more than two seasons of it :sigh:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well, maybe the Rome producer get the money from Netflix first, in which case you still get 2 seasons. And in dog poo poo color palette.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

If Rome was released in the last 10 years we'd have more than two seasons of it :sigh:

Deadwood would've got more seasons as well.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I love David Simon too, but this is a little too generous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Leftovers

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I can accept a list of someone's top 4 shows all being HBO, but not one that doesn't include Veep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comedies are tougher because tastes vary more I think but you could do one for comedy shows that just includes HBO too: Curb, Veep, Barry, Pick Your Favorite McBride joint (Gemstones for me)

the point I'm trying to make is a lot of people assumed this show was going to suck because of season 8 of GoT even though they got rid of the vile D and D on whom all odium rests and only kept around a few good directors. Like, HBO doesn't make many lovely shows, and GoT wasn't a lovely show until season [X]

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 29, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Comedies are tougher because tastes vary more I think but you could do one for comedy shows that just includes HBO too: Curb, Veep, Barry, Pick Your Favorite McBride joint (Gemstones for me)

Yeah, those are all great shows, just bantering.

My HBO picks: Veep, Band of Brothers, Rome, The Wire

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it rules that we're in the GOT thread and no one has attempted to make an argument for it wiggling into their top 5 HBO shows, or even entertained the thought. universally objectively disqualified

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That DICK! posted:

it rules that we're in the GOT thread and no one has attempted to make an argument for it wiggling into their top 5 HBO shows, or even entertained the thought. universally objectively disqualified

That or they don't want the inevitable 3 page derail over it...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

After season 8, GOT is gonna need to do a lot of wiggling to get at the top for me.

So far they are off to a good start

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
True Detective (S1) > The Sopranos > The Wire > Rome

Leftovers and Deadwood are both outstanding but they don't quite make the top 4 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Deadwood wasn't as bad as GoT on this front, but every rewatch I completely lose interest somewhere near the beginning of season 3. If we consider the first 2/3rds of a show, Deadwood and GoT easily make the cut.