Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

New Elrond painted up last night. I think I went a little too "Horizon Zero Dawn" with the hair, which is odd because there's no red pigment mixed in. It's just flesh tone washes and contrasts layered over one another. Maybe it's just how they catch the light turning it auburn?

Also, here's a side-by-side of the foot variant next to the "Battle of the Last Alliance" metal Elrond from the Fellowship range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm looking at kitbashing a vampire Blood Bowl team and thinking of what to do for my thralls.

Lore-wise, what races get turned into thralls? Is it only humans? I was thinking of mix-and-matching from my leftovers of other teams and just painting them the same scheme as the vampires

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The old models were humans, since that's who lives in the Vampire Count-ry.

I'd suggest disarmed flagellants painted to look like old prisoners. Shackles and bloodstained collars should convey how they spend the off season.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The thing is, I already own a bunch of Blood Bowl minis still on sprue. Mostly leftovers from buying two kits to make one team.

I'm making my vampires using these, this, and this and chopping off the weapons.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/27/speed-savagery-and-slipperiness-the-amazons-return-to-the-blood-bowl/

Amazon rules are up, they lost all their block

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there any additional models that work well with Cursed City? Aside from the expansion ones.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there any additional models that work well with Cursed City? Aside from the expansion ones.

Do you mean in the sense of "This model works nicely as a stand-in for X character/monster" or in the sense of "Are there rules for using X model in the game"? Because if it's the first one, I'll suggest looking at Reaper or Wizkids if you want to get minis specifically for this game and don't want to pay 40-60$ for one model.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Do you mean in the sense of "This model works nicely as a stand-in for X character/monster" or in the sense of "Are there rules for using X model in the game"? Because if it's the first one, I'll suggest looking at Reaper or Wizkids if you want to get minis specifically for this game and don't want to pay 40-60$ for one model.

Or 3D print em.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
xpost from the painting thread. I'm going to have so much fun with every model in the gellerpox team

Spanish Manlove posted:

Drybrush then contrast is literally how I just did this guy today, only it was a brown/white gradient not black/white. I'm going to mess with the underpainting colors and see what I can come up with. Oh and for how much I listen to death metal, I never painted anything gory. Well, until now:

I made the blood splatters with still water effect, a dark red, and burnt umber ink mixed to taste, then flicked it on with a brush May have gone a little overboard on it but I wanted this guy to look like he came from an album cover

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think between Gellerpox, poxwalkers, and 25% daemons it's possible to " Death Guard without the Death Guard" in 40k. Would that be any good though?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

xpost from the painting thread. I'm going to have so much fun with every model in the gellerpox team

Love him. Looks like aa possessed Spongebob!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

moths posted:

I think between Gellerpox, poxwalkers, and 25% daemons it's possible to " Death Guard without the Death Guard" in 40k. Would that be any good though?

Down that path lies the Thousand Sons combat patrol box with 0 rubric marines

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

Love him. Looks like aa possessed Spongebob!

the massive overbite is hilarious and so goofy

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I play Amazons currently and I like the changes. 4 blodgers out of the gate is a great way to get casual players to hate you in a league anyway.

I'm not a fan of the trend of special rules for each team though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Floppychop posted:

I play Amazons currently and I like the changes. 4 blodgers out of the gate is a great way to get casual players to hate you in a league anyway.

I'm not a fan of the trend of special rules for each team though.

Yeah these are the first 'significant change' rules in BB2020 that I quite like. Zons were strong but boring and felt painfully slow for an AV7 team. This gives them some zip and some muscle while also making them less fighty. Hit & Run is a seriously good ability, but losing Block is a big blow.

They will still suffer from the worsened attrition in the casualty table like all weaker-armoured teams do in this edition.

I have a cool 3rd party Zon team, so I'll see if I can find a way to make the new positionals stand out and give them a try.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have the old GW models, but I'm still getting the new ones because I really like these sculpts.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Archenteron posted:

Down that path lies the Thousand Sons combat patrol box with 0 rubric marines

You get five terminators!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bored Online posted:

You get five terminators!

It’s the perfect box for the person who already bought the old Start Collecting box!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A prerequisite Start Start Collecting box before the Start Collecting box seems unintentionally fitting for Tzeentch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kill Team question: How bad are the compendium teams compared to standalone release teams, really? I saw on that most recent community post that the overall Compendium win rate is only 40%, which is quite bad, but it's hard to tell if all the compendium choices are equally lovely or if some particularly bad ones are just pulling down those numbers. I'm going to pick up some Kroot when they get their own release, but in the meantime it would be cool to throw together a team out of models I already have and not get stomped at my local league. Could something like the Intercession Squad or Death Guard teams reasonably hang in there against more meta options? No idea what local players are running but based on which teams are the most popular I'm guessing stuff like Legionaries and Novitiates will be in the mix.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Urm, just wondering... what's a good player layout/formation for Lizardmen (me) vs Dark Elves in Blood Bowl 2, if you don't mind me asking? Got a big game against a friend coming up, and I definitely have the disadvantage, experience-wise.

I've always had trouble figuring them and their witches out, is the main thing. I think I'm generally pretty predictable in my initial layouts, since I'm not too knowledgeable on how to best position my big guys for the different halves/drives.

On the plus side though, all my Sauruses have block. Four have tackle, two have MB (one also with tackle) and the fifth has a STR-up. So, I'm considering holding a blackle saurus back on defense, to protect against breakthroughs. Otherwise... I'm not sure really. (Not helpful, I know!)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
If your team is that developed then I can only imagine what kind of nightmare skill combos the Dark Elf team has. You're at the kind of Team Value level where generic advice kind of loses its relevance.

You mentioned the witches specifically, so I guess the classic warning of watching out for the sidelines - keep your players out of frenzy surfing range.

Otherwise try to build defence in depth - creating a net of contiguous tackle zones that is hard for them to dodge through.

You didn't mention a Kroxigor, but if you have one try to make use of its Prehensile Tail to block off running channels.

Beyond that, I hope you get lucky with blocking and armour rolls.

As a side note: In terms of team development strategy, there was a time when Break Tackle was almost the most important skill for Saurus (arguably more important than Block) but it's been made significantly worse for Saurus in BB2020.

Edit: Just saw that you're playing BB2 - ok, so I am going to say something unhelpful considering how developed your team is, but you need some Break Tackle. It massively prevents Saurus from getting bogged down by simple Lineman marking. Whichever Saurus levels up next gets Break Tackle. It's as simple as that.

BB2020 advice: Break Tackle works considerably less well for Saurus in the new edition because instead of giving you pseudo AG2+ for one Dodge, it just gives +1 to your dodge. This does however mean it's great for players with middling agility eg. Human and Amazon blitzers whereas it was useless for them before.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kill Team question: How bad are the compendium teams compared to standalone release teams, really? I saw on that most recent community post that the overall Compendium win rate is only 40%, which is quite bad, but it's hard to tell if all the compendium choices are equally lovely or if some particularly bad ones are just pulling down those numbers. I'm going to pick up some Kroot when they get their own release, but in the meantime it would be cool to throw together a team out of models I already have and not get stomped at my local league. Could something like the Intercession Squad or Death Guard teams reasonably hang in there against more meta options? No idea what local players are running but based on which teams are the most popular I'm guessing stuff like Legionaries and Novitiates will be in the mix.

Intercession squad is not really compedium team any more and they are good enoug to hang with the big boys. In polish nationals guy with tyranid compedium team ended up 9 place (out of 53). Death guard is decentish. I mean novitiates/pathfinders will likely pound you but they kind of opressive teams anyway.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Squibsy posted:

If your team is that developed then I can only imagine what kind of nightmare skill combos the Dark Elf team has. You're at the kind of Team Value level where generic advice kind of loses its relevance.

You mentioned the witches specifically, so I guess the classic warning of watching out for the sidelines - keep your players out of frenzy surfing range.

Otherwise try to build defence in depth - creating a net of contiguous tackle zones that is hard for them to dodge through.

You didn't mention a Kroxigor, but if you have one try to make use of its Prehensile Tail to block off running channels.

Beyond that, I hope you get lucky with blocking and armour rolls.

As a side note: In terms of team development strategy, there was a time when Break Tackle was almost the most important skill for Saurus (arguably more important than Block) but it's been made significantly worse for Saurus in BB2020.

Edit: Just saw that you're playing BB2 - ok, so I am going to say something unhelpful considering how developed your team is, but you need some Break Tackle. It massively prevents Saurus from getting bogged down by simple Lineman marking. Whichever Saurus levels up next gets Break Tackle. It's as simple as that.

BB2020 advice: Break Tackle works considerably less well for Saurus in the new edition because instead of giving you pseudo AG2+ for one Dodge, it just gives +1 to your dodge. This does however mean it's great for players with middling agility eg. Human and Amazon blitzers whereas it was useless for them before.

Hm, yeah true. I guess I might need to have my Krox and two Sauruses on the LoS, two back a bit, then two off on the inner side of the wings.
Oh, I also have two str-up side-step skinks, which everyone else hate the guts of, haha :D

Regarding break tackle though, that's interesting! That skill actually hasn't come up at all. Even the other lizardman team doesn't have it - just some wrestle sprinkled in. I'll keep it in mind for later though, that's for sure!

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

If you have a pre-existing collection it might be better to pick up the Kill Team Annual. It will have the White Dwarf teams (AdMech, Harlequins, Thousand Suns, GSC). As far as I know there are only a small handful of compendium teams that are considered viable/competitive though that could change with Into the Dark.

There is also this Free Team: https://www.warhammer-community.com/downloads/#kill-team they released.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I would hazard a guess that Custodes, Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Tyranids are all completely playable. They might struggle with ploys and tac ops compared to "proper" teams but the operatives are solid.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Custodes and chaos demons should be fine. Grey knights look kinda ech.

Btw this was our top 8 (they still did not publish full standings for all players). I'm surpraised mostly at only 1 pathfinder team and no novitiates
1st round:
✅Hunter Clade vs Ork Kommando❎
✅Pathfinders vs Ork Kommando❎
❎Warpcoven vs Veteran Guardsmen✅
✅Imperial Navy Breachers vs Intercession Squad❎
2nd round:
✅Ork Kommando vs Warpcoven❎
❎Hunter Clade vs Veteran Guardsmen✅
❎Ork Kommando vs Intercession Squad✅
➗Imperial Navy Breachers vs Pathfinders➗

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grey Knights get to reroll all their shots and melee attacks for free, they're completely okay.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Major Isoor posted:

Hm, yeah true. I guess I might need to have my Krox and two Sauruses on the LoS, two back a bit, then two off on the inner side of the wings.
Oh, I also have two str-up side-step skinks, which everyone else hate the guts of, haha :D

Regarding break tackle though, that's interesting! That skill actually hasn't come up at all. Even the other lizardman team doesn't have it - just some wrestle sprinkled in. I'll keep it in mind for later though, that's for sure!

Don't put the Kroxigor on the scrimmage line! Try to keep it in reserve until the Elves commit to their attack*, and then put it in the way as a giant roadblock with its swishing tail. It's too easy to pin down with a sacrificial Lineman or a Blodger and then the Krox will waste its Tail in a bad position. Obviously you risk it Boneheading at a bad moment, but that's always the way with big guys.

* Dark Elves can change their attack direction very easily indeed but again, there's not much you can do about that. Try to force them to pick a road and stick to it.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

I think most of them are reasonable. You can hang with intercession squad for sure, and likely death guard too.

As an aside, while 40% is poor winrate for competitive play, am I crazy for not caring at all if that's my winrate for friendly pickup games? That means I'm winning 2 out of 5 games, and my opponent is winning 3 out of 5. If I wasnt counting I would be still feeling like I could theoretically win any game and I'd still be having fun

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Not caring about winrates over your friends is the opposite of crazy, especially if you don't actually play capital-M-Matched games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I just realized, they're already talking new season with only two additional bands release for the last? It seems a little breakneck

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I just realized, they're already talking new season with only two additional bands release for the last? It seems a little breakneck

As much as I enjoyed the game and love the warbands, GW needs to end WHU in its current incarnation. I don't know what the solution would be, but the way it is now , IMO, is contributing to the game's demise.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

didn't they make that choice conciously, that there would be box with 2 band, 2 stand alone bands every 6 months?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

jassi007 posted:

didn't they make that choice conciously, that there would be box with 2 band, 2 stand alone bands every 6 months?

Yup: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/14/harrowdeep-might-be-dark-but-the-warhammer-underworlds-road-map-reveals-a-bright-future/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What are the chances that they'll release the Skaven warband separately?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Floppychop posted:

They don't release the warbands with the cards separately from the core sets. For a while they were eventually releasing just the models by themselves for use in Age of Sigmar, but those listings all were taken off the catalog a few months ago.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Underworlds was fun from the few games I got to try but yeah they desperately need to slow down the release schedule and also not make it impossible to get older warbands / cards without spending eye-watering amounts of money on eBay.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

As much as I enjoyed the game and love the warbands, GW needs to end WHU in its current incarnation. I don't know what the solution would be, but the way it is now , IMO, is contributing to the game's demise.

I loved WHU when I first got into it, I think around 2nd or 3rd edition? I hated it a year or two later when I realized they were constantly putting out new editions and invalidating my old decks / cards. I don't need a game with painted figures to function like MTG with a need to constantly buy models to paint to keep playing with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Floppychop posted:

For Harrowdeep they put out a set with the 2 bands and cards for $80 when the whole box was $95 lol.