Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hello yes operator? i would like to participate in Crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Can confirm. It's cold but the homes are built and insulated for it. Same with summer heat, and basements help. Grid is largely nuclear and hydroelectric so plenty of baseload as well

Deaths are usually from some dickhead in a pickup thinking he can drive 100km/h in 2 feet of snow.
Also, 65 year old dudes who aren't gunna pay for no plow service trying to shovel out their driveway for reasons having heart attacks.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
But then you have to live in the great lakes region which, except for cedar point, is 4/10 at best

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a lot of stuff also isn't just the location but also the government and how States Rights a given place is. like as much as i love to poo poo on las vegas, nevada gives us legal weed and my driver's license gender marker is an x, and those are both things that are iirc not available in a majority of other states

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

stealie72 posted:

Also, 65 year old dudes who aren't gunna pay for no plow service trying to shovel out their driveway for reasons having heart attacks.

"They want how much for a gas snowblower? gently caress that I'll shovel it myself" :freep:

I've been intending to get myself a gas snowblower, turns out the quality of them has just gone to poo poo over the last few years.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

a lot of stuff also isn't just the location but also the government and how States Rights a given place is. like as much as i love to poo poo on las vegas, nevada gives us legal weed and my driver's license gender marker is an x, and those are both things that are iirc not available in a majority of other states

Being able to walk into a government office and just say "yeah, the gender on my license is wrong" and it gets corrected is so small, yet so important

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

kupachek posted:

The parts of California where building tall and dense would provide the most good are also right along the fault lines.
Ehh, I think this is increasingly mitigated by modern engineering. New construction is resilient enough, provided, it's built to code. Might not matter in The Big One, but the risk is nothing like that of building on sand at sea level in a hurricane-prone area.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ehh, I think this is increasingly mitigated by modern engineering. New construction is resilient enough, provided, it's built to code. Might not matter in The Big One, but the risk is nothing like that of building on sand at sea level in a hurricane-prone area.

See all of japan

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

But then you have to live in the great lakes region which, except for cedar point, is 4/10 at best
There is some personal calculus around that being a fate worse than death that one would have to solve.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've lived in worse places than the great lakes region. The South comes to mind, specifically. At least the chuds in the north can enunciate.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've also lived in both regions and do 100% agree, but 2/10 southern US doesn't, unfortunately, curve the great lakes grade. Especially with the God damned mayflies

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Zamujasa posted:

hello yes operator? i would like to participate in Crimes

Dear White People,

Why do you always wanna betray America? I’ve never heard of any black, Latin/Hispanic, or Asian person that has pulled a Benedict Arnold. And always for loving cheap. In this case free!

Sincerely,

Your local Paraguayan/Egyptian American.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Cedar Point is in Sandusky. gently caress that.

You couldn’t pay me enough to live anywhere between Toledo and Buffalo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh yeah, totally get it. Great lakes ain't that bad though. 4/10 is still better than the midwest, the great sea of corn and soy.

Nothing is really topping Colorado for me, though. I daydream about Alaska or Montana, but this place is my high water mark. The only way it could be more perfect is if we got enough rain to not have to worry about forest fires. Also if all the texans left.

That's going to vary person to person though. I'm sure there are people who love the South for all its humidity and hatred. It is beautiful, but the stink of humanity has tarnished it too thoroughly for me to move back.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Louisville KY based on private logistics companies all being very upfront about why they put all their infrastructure there. IMO from experience elsewhere that has ceased to be the case and everyone needs to be analyzing whether their own personal area of control can withstand a Harvey-level rain event.

We are all subject to Harvey-level rain events.

And same for logistics centering in Salt Lake City in the west, shame that the state is basically anti-fun.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

my friends, it is time to vote for the fattest babies.

909's cub returning after their first round loss to walking orb 132's cub in 2021.
https://twitter.com/katmainps/status/1575516889320652800

The triplets have clearly eaten the 4th cub pictured, but the twosome have been no slouches on the river.
https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1575516888452530177

vote early, vote often.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

American Freedom Tour

The company that puts on the Trump campaign events, is bankrupt. They have cancelled all future events due to this. Turns out, Trump never pays his vendors. Never.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/29/trump-speeches-bankruptcy-vendors/

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Brute Squad posted:

my friends, it is time to vote for the fattest babies.

909's cub returning after their first round loss to walking orb 132's cub in 2021.
https://twitter.com/katmainps/status/1575516889320652800

The triplets have clearly eaten the 4th cub pictured, but the twosome have been no slouches on the river.
https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1575516888452530177

vote early, vote often.

909's cub is showing strong this season.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

TheWeedNumber posted:

Dear White People,

Why do you always wanna betray America? I’ve never heard of any black, Latin/Hispanic, or Asian person that has pulled a Benedict Arnold. And always for loving cheap. In this case free!

Sincerely,

white people are insane hth

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

This is known.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is like saying it's annoying that voices clamoring for gun control is gross after a mass shooting or for police accountability after a cop committing murder. Like it or not, it's both natural and appropriate for folks to point at the latest consequences of our obviously bad policies in an exasperated attempt to open the eyes of those who are too busy living their lives and would otherwise not give a moment's thought to the shortcomings of the status quo.

lol what a sanctimonious clown you are. How many people do you think live in these flood prone areas that don't have the financial security to up and leave? How many people do you think were displaced by Hurricane Katrina who were never able to see their homes or communities again? The idea that this discussion is as cut and dry as gun ownership and school shootings is exclusively a product of your lack of perspective to these issues.

Not to mention that the individuals suffering the burden of climate change in this instance are doing so as a result of how the ENTIRE planet lives, not just their communities. Suggesting that we start by loving over the people who are dealing with the consequences of how society at large operates. You want to point to people who live in communities that have been affected by climate change like they decided on these circumstances and chose that course of action.

It is natural to want to discuss how these events and changes effect society. It makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat when you do it in a callous and uninformed manner.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 29, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

You better learn the religion of peace (and subservience to Rome)... or else!

Sincerely
A Spaniard to an ancestor, probably

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh yeah, totally get it. Great lakes ain't that bad though. 4/10 is still better than the midwest, the great sea of corn and soy.

Nothing is really topping Colorado for me, though. I daydream about Alaska or Montana, but this place is my high water mark. The only way it could be more perfect is if we got enough rain to not have to worry about forest fires. Also if all the texans left.

That's going to vary person to person though. I'm sure there are people who love the South for all its humidity and hatred. It is beautiful, but the stink of humanity has tarnished it too thoroughly for me to move back.

Western Washington has mountain views in nearly every direction, huge forests full of some of the largest trees on Earth, 3 National Parks, the Puget Sound which runs right through the middle of Western Washington and has multiple species of whales, seals, and sealions you can see with not much effort. Plus legal weed, , great breweries and wineries, and one of the most progressive electorates in the country.

You're surrounded by beautiful scenery nearly everywhere you go, including in the cities. Here's some recent pics all from near where I live in Seattle.

Sunset over the Olympic Mountains from Golden Gardens Park, Seattle

Downtown Seattle from Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park, an old gasification plant turned into a park

Sunset over the Olympic Mountains from Lumen Field, near Seattle's port

Green Lake Park, Seattle

Grab a beer while riding one of Washington's ferries across the Sound

I can't imagine a better place in the US to live. It's certainly not perfect here but in my opinion the advantages massively outweigh any disadvantages of living here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mustang posted:

Western Washington has mountain views in nearly every direction, huge forests full of some of the largest trees on Earth, 3 National Parks, the Puget Sound which runs right through the middle of Western Washington and has multiple species of whales, seals, and sealions you can see with not much effort. Plus legal weed, , great breweries and wineries, and one of the most progressive electorates in the country.

You're surrounded by beautiful scenery nearly everywhere you go, including in the cities. Here's some recent pics all from near where I live in Seattle.

Sunset over the Olympic Mountains from Golden Gardens Park, Seattle

Downtown Seattle from Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park, an old gasification plant turned into a park

Sunset over the Olympic Mountains from Lumen Field, near Seattle's port

Green Lake Park, Seattle

Grab a beer while riding one of Washington's ferries across the Sound

I can't imagine a better place in the US to live. It's certainly not perfect here but in my opinion the advantages massively outweigh any disadvantages of living here.

And me on kitsap peninsula! Come visit!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Follow up with some more pics of cool plants and stuff from around the Puget Sound region.

If you can't tell, I really loving love living here.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ASAPI posted:

American Freedom Tour

The company that puts on the Trump campaign events, is bankrupt. They have cancelled all future events due to this. Turns out, Trump never pays his vendors. Never.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/29/trump-speeches-bankruptcy-vendors/

Is this going to put his endless rallies to a stop or will he start self-funding them/someone else step up to have the privilege of getting ripped off by Donald Trump because "SURELY, this is the time where a contractor will get paid for our work and not have to sue him only to be told it was OUR fault somehow"?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Last post of pictures, this time from last fall.

So uh yeah, Washington is awesome.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this going to put his endless rallies to a stop or will he start self-funding them/someone else step up to have the privilege of getting ripped off by Donald Trump because "SURELY, this is the time where a contractor will get paid for our work and not have to sue him only to be told it was OUR fault somehow"?

yes

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ASAPI posted:

909's cub is showing strong this season.

definitely took last year's loss to heart
https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1441070710357692416

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If someone offered me a green card and a solid salary to move to Seattle I'd do it. Vancouver is lovely but wages are crap and there's no way in hell I can even think about living in any of the main cities with how little I make comparatively.

Vancouver: All the good and bad of Seattle but with effectively half the pay between low wages and a currency that isn't worth poo poo all.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

kupachek posted:

The parts of California where building tall and dense would provide the most good are also right along the fault lines.

vuk83 posted:

See all of japan

This was going to be my response. It has been about making sure everyone has parking for their cars (and coincidentally keeping poor people away). While I was busy looking up previous failures to pass similar bills, it looks like CA finally passed legislation making a mass transit exception which is really awesome news, if not a touch too late.

I'm sure there's some reason it'll be awful since I haven't read the text; I'm just happy Californians other than San Franciscoans are finally willing to accept: "what if not everyone had to drive everywhere all the time?"

Good work California!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

If someone offered me a green card and a solid salary to move to Seattle I'd do it. Vancouver is lovely but wages are crap and there's no way in hell I can even think about living in any of the main cities with how little I make comparatively.

Vancouver: All the good and bad of Seattle but with effectively half the pay between low wages and a currency that isn't worth poo poo all.

Having the border in between definitely sucks. Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland seem to have much more in common with each other than either of them do with the rest of their respective countries.

That's just my perception from visiting Vancouver anyway. This part of North America feels really isolated from the rest of the populous parts of the continent, almost like an Alaska Lite.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mustang posted:

Having the border in between definitely sucks. Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland seem to have much more in common with each other than either of them do with the rest of their respective countries.

That's just my perception from visiting Vancouver anyway. This part of North America feels really isolated from the rest of the populous parts of the continent, almost like an Alaska Lite.

Totally. I’ve got a NEXUS Trusted Traveler card and have for over a decade so I can realistically pop down to Seattle for a weekend whenever I like and it’s just like visiting an alternate reality version of my home. It’s one of the only other places I’d want to move to for work.

At this rate though I’m just going to hope for enough of a raise to move to Burnaby or Vancouver proper next year. I live in a nice apartment but it’s in the fuckin sticks and despite my oldest friends living out here as well I am tired as hell of there being no social scene around me and feeling like I’m going to die alone because of it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'd like to move to the PNW but I have no clue where and it feels like the entire area has become ridiculously expensive (probably because everyone else would also like to move to the PNW).

My apartment's lease isn't up until April but that doesn't mean I can't panic about it now :smith:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Cedar Point is in Sandusky. gently caress that.

You couldn’t pay me enough to live anywhere between Toledo and Buffalo.

Outside of Buffalo is nice in certain areas.

But then you'd have to live in NY. Which brings us back to square one.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Defenestrategy posted:

This guy gets it.

The only redeeming feature of Arizona that I am personally aware of are the border towns with the most delicious foods and the party don't stop at 6pm.

I was blessed to spend two summers working at a research station surrounded by national forest in one of the remote sky islands and it remains one of the most beautiful and biodiverse places I've ever seen. The fauna you would encounter on a day to day basis was just astounding -- premium birdwatching and herping. I won't even name it because I don't want you or anyone else to go there, but trust me, there are a couple nice spots in AZ. North Rim and the Kaibab are really great, in summer at least.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

US Berder Patrol posted:

I was blessed to spend two summers working at a research station surrounded by national forest in one of the remote sky islands and it remains one of the most beautiful and biodiverse places I've ever seen. The fauna you would encounter on a day to day basis was just astounding -- premium birdwatching and herping. I won't even name it because I don't want you or anyone else to go there, but trust me, there are a couple nice spots in AZ. North Rim and the Kaibab are really great, in summer at least.

My takeaway is that Arizona, much like Florida, gets better the fewer humans are around.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's mountainous areas or high plains areas in AZ that aren't hot as gently caress, right? Those would be cool to live in.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

piL posted:

This was going to be my response. It has been about making sure everyone has parking for their cars (and coincidentally keeping poor people away). While I was busy looking up previous failures to pass similar bills, it looks like CA finally passed legislation making a mass transit exception which is really awesome news, if not a touch too late.

I'm sure there's some reason it'll be awful since I haven't read the text; I'm just happy Californians other than San Franciscoans are finally willing to accept: "what if not everyone had to drive everywhere all the time?"

Good work California!

I'm all for the densification especially if you can prevent the corruption in the building process (and for material shortchanging) and stonewalling from the NIMBY's. Looks like California is fairly straight-forward for air-rights as well which helps simplify things.

However this wraps around to building right on a fault line, the same kind of issue as building in a reclaimed swamp or drainage basin, which is what kicked the topic off. The hubris of man not just selecting a disaster prone location, but doubling down and intensifying development as an affront to nature.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Dear White People,

Sincerely,

Heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

kupachek posted:

Heritage.

Not hate?