Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

easymode: engineer with the mechanist elite spec

unique: mesmer, especially the mirage elite spec while using an axe. it takes some learning, doesn't click with everyone and the damage is nowhere near what it used to be, but there's nothing like it for sheer fluidity of play. i reiterate the damage is not good anymore though

variety: make alts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

One of the things GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs is alts, really. They are trivial to level, but most of the time you won't need to since the game throws level-up scrolls, books and boosts at you. Many of the things you do at end-game are account-wide, e.g. mounts, masteries, currency, even ascended gear (best stat-wise gear in the game). You can join a group, swap to another character, and remain in the group, for example. People frequently do this in end-game content.

As others have said, engineer (mechanist - requires End of Dragons) and guardian (firebrand - requires Path of Fire) are kinda broken good at the moment, but don't worry about switching characters if you want to try something different. You can boost an alt to end-game and have gear that's not the best, but will be very close and work in anything but high-level fractals or top-end challenge modes in about 10 minutes, assuming you have a small amount of in-game currency.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

404notfound posted:

You can use ascended salvaging kits on them for a chance at a ball of dark matter, which is a necessary ingredient for gen 2 legendaries

So Ascended Rings are special in that they have zero chance of dropping balls of dark energy. Accessories, backpacks, and amulets have a small chance, and armor and weapons have a 100% chance.

Salvaging rings is still worthwhile because of the stabilizing matrices you get from doing so.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Alts are totally unneeded, yet done really well as you said.

I remember at launch when dyes were character bound. lol. Now of course youll go broke trying to get the 500 shades of black, but every character can use them.

The armoury just made alts so much easier. And even the shared inventory slots are amazing.

Its funny to read about new mmos releasing that dont have a fraction of the QoL stuff GW2 has.

It wants you to play the game because its a good game (and dress up your dolls)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

..btt posted:

One of the things GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs is alts, really. They are trivial to level, but most of the time you won't need to since the game throws level-up scrolls, books and boosts at you. Many of the things you do at end-game are account-wide, e.g. mounts, masteries, currency, even ascended gear (best stat-wise gear in the game). You can join a group, swap to another character, and remain in the group, for example. People frequently do this in end-game content.

The new adventure guide achievements would make leveling even faster now, too.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Guardian and revenant are the only two classes that can perform any role in the game with the appropriate gear, have amazing solo builds and are the most versatile classes overall, really. Both are a blast to play, too. Revenant might seem a little bit complicated at first but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 29, 2022

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

Since I got onto tier 2 fractals last week, I've got ascended rings falling out my rear end. What do I do with them aside from wearing?

if they're not infused, attuned, or a good stat then I vendor them

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I booted the game after... I guess I stopped playing a few months after launch. I got bombarded by gifts and dyes and decided to make a mesmer to start fresh again.

Is mesmer still god awful to level?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mode 7 posted:

Guardian or Necro. Both have a large variety of builds are are great for all content.

Mango Polo posted:

I booted the game after... I guess I stopped playing a few months after launch. I got bombarded by gifts and dyes and decided to make a mesmer to start fresh again.

No, I don't think anything is bad anymore. Mesmer is not as complex as Ele but it doesn't play like a class in any other MMO, to my knowledge. So folks just starting out don't know how to capitalize on its unique features.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 29, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

i did it recently and it was fine. having the most cohesive build you can manage at your level/hero points can make a big difference. sword is good for power shatter, staff is good for condition damage, etc.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Actuarial Fables posted:

So Ascended Rings are special in that they have zero chance of dropping balls of dark energy. Accessories, backpacks, and amulets have a small chance, and armor and weapons have a 100% chance.

Salvaging rings is still worthwhile because of the stabilizing matrices you get from doing so.

Ah hell, I didn't know about the different percentages :negative: But good to know that it's guaranteed from weapons/armor

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Worse case scenario the game will absolutely vomit exp tomes/writs/birthday levelup rewards at you so you don't have to touch a single character before they are 80 if you'd rather not.

Plus the raptor and new tutorial achievements just blow past the early levels.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Worse case scenario the game will absolutely vomit exp tomes/writs/birthday levelup rewards at you so you don't have to touch a single character before they are 80 if you'd rather not.

I just made a bunch of 80s and I currently have 5 level 60 scrolls and 110 tomes of experience, which is 5 more fresh 80s altogether.

I decided to just use a level 40 scroll and level up like normal while I do my personal story on my Sylvari and I ended up roughly keeping pace with personal story levels while doing some exploring here and there.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you do a decent amount of WvW you can also just straight up buy your elite specs with Jade Heroics, which is super handy.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I think if I were to change anything it would be to choose an elite (if you own them) right from the start, even if all you get is the core mechanic. I got to level 80 and specced into the new thief and I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing or how any of it worked. I ended up in the baby zones just trying to get the hang of it. Since some of the elites change the entire way the class works I think it'd be great if you could slowly work your way up and get used to each new skill slowly like you do with the core classes. Even if it locks you into that one only as you level or something, it'd be a better way to learn that mechanic rather than learn a sort of similar one then be left going "wait I have shroud now what the hey?! how does it work? what's this purple bar mean??"

Still what's great is that noodling about in the starter zones still has a use in materials gathering & the chance of a key. Plus ppl get to laugh hysterically as I die to a mosquito while flailing around trying to work out what the smack I'm doing. Then get real and proper annoyed when I one hit kill a boss because I had NO idea how hard this thing can hit, sorry level 5 dood trying to kill an event vet I did not think that one skill would lay the everloving kickass smack down and I honestly have no idea of which button I just pressed that did it.

New thief is fun tho, I don't know why it took me so long to make one. Off to the next starter zone. Still no idea what the purple bar is. I presume how much shroud, like the necro?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elites tend to require a bit more of an understanding and focus than core classes

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

No kidding. I finally cleaned up all the stuff tossed at my characters from years of inactivity:

Boosting up to 60 seems pretty daunting while knowing nothing of the game.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Nah. Leveling in this game isnt really that big of a deal. Those birthday boosters are fantastic though, always have one running

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Honestly I wouldn't even say it's a trend. It depends on the elite, really. Some of them laser focus on a specific mechanic, or just reduce your options to a single set of skills or so, or are just inherently easier than the core class, and a lot of them simply trade in your options for different (and usually more powerful) ones. I'd even say about half of them are no more or less complicated than their core version.

Personally I'd put it this way (just baseline kit, not counting raid rotations or advanced shenanagains):

More Complex: Weaver, Catalyst, Firebrand, Renegade, Holosmith, Untamed, Druid, Specter, Tempest, Spellbreaker, Harbinger

Same Complexity: Dragonhunter, Willbender, Herald, Daredevil, Deadeye, Mirage, Reaper, Scourge, Berserker, Chronomancer, Bladesworn

Simpler: Virtuoso, Mechanist, Scrapper, Soulbeast

Meeko fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 30, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mango Polo posted:

No kidding. I finally cleaned up all the stuff tossed at my characters from years of inactivity:

I feel like I just need to gather mastery points and extra experience does nothing for me but I have like 90 birthday boosters-- what are they good for?

I also have like 20 of the heroic boosters

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Birthday Boosters are amazing for WvW

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DALL-E is now free for everyone so I used the prompt,
"A Sylvari necromancer reanimates a Charr warrior"

Charr should be tiny!!!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Game would be way better if charr were just actual, non anthropomorphic house cats. No question.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Birthday Boosters are amazing for WvW

Yeah, if you want to rank up in wvw, have a birthday booster going. With that and the guild buff running you basically clear 1/10 of a rank for a simple veteran mob event or camp clear, and towers are like 1/5 a rank. Extremely good for progress, especially if you haven’t hit the rank 151 point yet for the bonus pip.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Mover posted:

Game would be way better if charr were just actual, non anthropomorphic house cats. No question.

Char engineers that are just cats with mounted rifles/pistols

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

GetDunked posted:

Char engineers that are just cats with mounted rifles/pistols

Stray MMO lookin good

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Inzombiac posted:

DALL-E is now free for everyone so I used the prompt,
"A Sylvari necromancer reanimates a Charr warrior"

Charr should be tiny!!!

More like nec-WHOA-mancer

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Do any of you play on the Steam Deck? I've been thinking about doing it while I'm just doing my dailies or map completion or whatnot, but I'm having trouble finding a good controller scheme that doesn't feel like absolute garbage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do. You’ll want a keyboard nearby, but make sure to spend a good amount of time loving with the configuration.

9000% recommend turning your left trackpad into a mount selection wheel.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jokes posted:

I feel like I just need to gather mastery points and extra experience does nothing for me but I have like 90 birthday boosters-- what are they good for?

each birthday booster last for 24 hours and gives shitloads of XP boosts and magic find

just run them, magic find seems to be pretty good, i'm around 400% and its a constant stream of T6 trophies and stuff

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

jokes posted:

WvW and PvP are technically the best uses of them because of the reward track bonus gain, especially WvW which also makes use of magic find.

If you don't give a poo poo about either, just pop them whenever on a character you do a lot of meta events on with high density of mobs that kill poo poo like Drizzlewood. 100% magic find is roughly about a 10%~ increase in dropped loot quality by one tier, as it takes roughly 1000% magic find to double your chance of loot upgrading by a tier. Keep in mind this only means things like you'd get a Green instead of a Blue, or a T5 instead of a T4 material drop. This is only for dropped loot as well, and doesn't affect chests or event rewards. It also won't affect most bags you open, but it will mean you'll get better bags from mobs.

In other words, it's a marginal increase so you can use it whenever without worrying much. Heroic boosters definitely save for WvW or PvP, unless you can't stand it then save it for Drizzlewood or Silverwastes.

Also if you can be assed, the increased XP does mean a considerable increase in income from spirit shards. They're annoying to convert but definitely fairly profitable.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Meeko posted:

Also if you can be assed, the increased XP does mean a considerable increase in income from spirit shards. They're annoying to convert but definitely fairly profitable.

One day I have to look into this, I have like 6000 of those.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Neutron posted:

One day I have to look into this, I have like 6000 of those.

https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards

You basically just gamble with material conversion, it averages out, you make xyz profit per shard on average. The real costs are the time spent setting up buy orders for the materials, converting them, and then selling them.

If you don't want to bother with all that, you can take a hit to profits in exchange for faster conversion and liquidity of product by sorting with buy orders and only craft if necessary instead. Just from buy orders alone for example and not bothering crafting, you could turn 6000 spirit shards into 234,000 silver, which is 2340 gold.

Don't look at the "most profitable" section if it includes anything except crafting materials, it's misleading since those items don't sell very well well. You can try to sell the weapons at best, the triforge pendant will never sell.

You can also sell your shards on like, trading discords, but i never bother with those myself.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I too have a mountain of spirit shards.

Never done any spirit shard conversions to gold before, though i have heard of mystic forge gambling.

Threw 4 stacks of bronze ingots to make iron ingots. Got 40 ingots 4 times, literally the smallest possible amount 4 times.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ineptitude posted:

I too have a mountain of spirit shards.

Never done any spirit shard conversions to gold before, though i have heard of mystic forge gambling.

Threw 4 stacks of bronze ingots to make iron ingots. Got 40 ingots 4 times, literally the smallest possible amount 4 times.

8/10 name-post combo

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've tried to finish this loving lw3 mission "heart of the volcano" 4 times but these dumb loving dogs keep getting bugged.

I had the previous episode bug out too, I'm not doing well.

Between the quests bugging and having to run all over hells half acre I'm seriously considering skipping to EOD for a scenery change and to start working on the dragonscale.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Do we have a confirmed release date of Halloween events starting?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kris xK posted:

I've tried to finish this loving lw3 mission "heart of the volcano" 4 times but these dumb loving dogs keep getting bugged.

I had the previous episode bug out too, I'm not doing well.

Between the quests bugging and having to run all over hells half acre I'm seriously considering skipping to EOD for a scenery change and to start working on the dragonscale.

EOD story stuff i actually enjoyed which is rare for me in this game. ive been through it twice already and would have no problem doing it again

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CODChimera posted:

EOD story stuff i actually enjoyed which is rare for me in this game. ive been through it twice already and would have no problem doing it again

Yeah, I've run through the EOD story completely once, and far enough to get my jade bot a second time and I have no problem going through to get my next jade bot. I wish they were account unlocks and not character based, but the story is good enough and it's quick enough that I'm not complaining too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can craft or buy off the TP a jade bot core and just slot it into your characters, no need to run the story on each character.

T1 is around a gold and T6 for access to a service chip is around 12g, easy enough to get that gold just running events for a little while.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 2, 2022