Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The stories about cranking rent up on stable long term tenants just baffle me .. like maybe my perspective is skewed but if I had a stable tenant i would be terrified to raise rent at all for fear of them leaving
I have met people who are small time landlords and brag about how smart they are to not raise the rent to the absolute maximum the market can bear. They speak of the idea that they found a reliable tenant and want to keep them there long term like it was a brilliant innovation they are pioneering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, you don't need to be obsequious; I've reported under-heating & no garbage collection (landlord didn't pay the trash bill for a month, lol) to the city & gotten landlords in trouble for that poo poo.

how do you under heat a house

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

how do you under heat a house

some municipalities have winter minimum interior temperature requirements for landlords and heating must be provided by the landlord.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
does that mean the tenant has no access to the thermostat? that seems crazy but a good way to save money I guess

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

does that mean the tenant has no access to the thermostat? that seems crazy but a good way to save money I guess

where I’ve encountered it you have hot water or steam radiators usually in old buildings. often old systems that will heat enough to keep the place hot with the windows open in the winter which was a Spanish flu era thing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yeah: steam-heat radiators & heating rules per city code.

sept. 15 to june it has to be 68F inside 6 ft from any windows or doors, or something like that.

when the city came out, most of my apt. was in the low 50s, and the kitchen (small, leaky door) was in the 40s.

it had been like that for three days, bc the owners of the prop. mgmt. co. were out of the country, it started on a holiday weekend (jan. 1, iirc), and it took that long for the inspector to come out.

I wasn't the only tenant who called the city. The inspector visited a few apartments, issued something scary to the mgmt. co., and the next day & thereafter we had good heat.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

in the winter my building (steam heat) is constantly wavering between needing windows wide open in 15degree weather and essentially no heat or hot water.

must be tough to have one dial to turn for a 30 unit complex and the dial also turns on its own sometimes. or something.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My apartment has in floor radiant heat. Building is probably 6 years old. Everyone has a thermostat, goes to a flow control valve. Thermostat is basically just on/off and a temp setting. I usually turn it on at 66 in the winter, set for 71, but it doesn't stop until it's around 76. If I babysit the thermostat and cut it off at 71, it still rises to 73ish.

The annoying thing is the boiler is also the water heater for the whole building. 16 apartments pulling on it for heat, showers, dishes. If you don't get a shower by 7am, you get a cold one until around 10am.

There's no blower or central AC. Fans are pretty much required. Farts will haunt you if you don't create some air flow. But it can get down to -30ish here on the long winter nights and the radiant heat keeps it warm, I'm assuming way more efficiently than everyone having a furnace.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

should have checked this thread a while ago but uh is now a bad time to buy? lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jenny Agutter posted:

should have checked this thread a while ago but uh is now a bad time to buy? lol

Much worse than yesterday, probably better than tomorrow

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

staring at my loan offer thinking about what kind of apartment I could get for that amount

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

prices may be falling but that's more than made up for by interest rate hikes. buy immediately or wait 2-3 years because it's going to get worse. unless you're a cash buyer I guess

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Jenny Agutter posted:

Capital has huge stacks of cash to speculate on and no place to stuff it but bonds and real estate after the pyre of VC and equities moldered, so we won't have a price crash nearly as beneficial as 2009 for those Fed-imagined hordes of married households with $200k in cash also sitting in their bank to take advantage of.

Interest rates are only going up for the foreseeable future, so buy buy buy

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

Much worse than yesterday, probably better than tomorrow

i say swears online posted:

prices may be falling but that's more than made up for by interest rate hikes. buy immediately or wait 2-3 years because it's going to get worse. unless you're a cash buyer I guess

A Bad King posted:

Capital has huge stacks of cash to speculate on and no place to stuff it but bonds and real estate after the pyre of VC and equities moldered, so we won't have a price crash nearly as beneficial as 2009 for those Fed-imagined hordes of married households with $200k in cash also sitting in their bank to take advantage of.

Interest rates are only going up for the foreseeable future, so buy buy buy

dang tho

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

you can write off loses

the fact that you can write off loses on taxes is one of the premiere failures of the system. you are punished somewhat for failure as a rent-seeker, but rewarded dramatically.

sure, but lets say you go from HOF poster Willa Rogers and your next tenant is How Are U and they text you democrat propaganda all the time

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I would hold off a little longer on buying a house because a little birdy told me there’s gonna be some fixer uppers at decent prices coming on the market in Florida soon

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I would hold off a little longer on buying a house because a little birdy told me there’s gonna be some fixer uppers at decent prices coming on the market in Florida soon

you mean "from the florida market"

this poo poo is gonna be like Katrina for houses where everyone buying a used house for the next 2 years needs to look at the deed history with a magnifying glass to make sure it's not a fake and they're being sold some McMansion that drifted up from Ft Myers, ended up on a golf course property side in NC and now they're just selling it as is

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

haha yeh.

back in 2018 the realtors were telling folks 'yeah the market is very hot right now, we're getting two bids or more on homes,' and then tyool 2019 comes and you have petit bougies going from Bill Tschosche's Bowling Ltd to Tschosche's Estates & Lanes LLC buying 4-units because money was free and if you're not in on the frenzy you're missing out.

everything is a commodity when you think like a shark.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
thread title is very apt for current events despite predating them by weeks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I assume the US will equal Cuba's experience with this hurricane at zero deaths

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

are inmates people because if so lol we already blew past that so hard

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CNN just reported Charlotte county as having at least "8 or 9" dead, so no.

I'm sure there will be suppression of deaths linked to it, but there are deaths being reported.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

thread title is very apt for current events despite predating them by weeks

oh no lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

this thread is for bragging about how cheaply you bought your house/are renting your apartment OP

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this thread is for bragging about how cheaply you bought your house/are renting your apartment OP

yeah that's why i started it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A few deaths but like Katrina there will be a lot of “missing” people who will remain missing forever because you can’t sue over a loved one being killed by lovely infrastructure/government negalgence because they aren’t dead, just missing! A lot of inmates are gonna be listed as missing again, fyi

To put in perspective the official death count of Katrina is 1,836. There are still 705 people listed as missing because of Katrina today, nearly half the official death count

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Sep 29, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a hard time understanding how bad a hurricane is going to be. I can never remember the categories.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a hard time understanding how bad a hurricane is going to be. I can never remember the categories.

same, except burn degrees.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

sure, but lets say you go from HOF poster Willa Rogers and your next tenant is How Are U and they text you democrat propaganda all the time

I don't know what HOF stands for & urban dictionary makes it sound like even I would rather have how are u as a tenant than me. :ohdear:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't know what HOF stands for & urban dictionary makes it sound like even I would rather have how are u as a tenant than me. :ohdear:

hall of fame

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

well, that's much better than the shart or w/e the def was on urban dictionary. :sweatdrop:

I'm usually good at sussing out acronyms, too.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don’t understand how the death tolls (like actual loss of life) is so relatively low for hurricanes.

they are storms the size of small states smashing into metropolitan areas. you’d think deaths would be in the hundreds at least!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's pretty funny that the US is one of the few places where the vast majority of mortgages are based on fixed interest rates

otherwise we'd get more stuff like this
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1575547197483266048?s=20&t=PQE7hLIcYFy9lu8549T2Ug

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t understand how the death tolls (like actual loss of life) is so relatively low for hurricanes.

they are storms the size of small states smashing into metropolitan areas. you’d think deaths would be in the hundreds at least!

Despite the near constant attempts by conservatives to undermine them building codes still exist and mostly do a good job of ensuring that homes and businesses don’t just fall apart and crush people during high winds or floods. It still happens in the places hit by the worst of the storm surge and winds but usually those people evacuate unless they can’t (which is what happened to a lot of the Katrina victims).

YOLOsubmarine has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Sep 30, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

Willa Rogers posted:

well, that's much better than the shart or w/e the def was on urban dictionary. :sweatdrop:

I'm usually good at sussing out acronyms, too.

:D classic willa

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my street which was red hot up until recently just had a house stay on the market for 2 weeks and now it’s off market.

another house around the corner had a reduction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I went for a walk today and was imagining corporate branding on suburban houses and … that’s about 8 months away

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I'll put a giant nike swoosh on my house if they give me a house

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

cool av posted:

you'll be lucky to get a whole roof out of the deal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cool av posted:

“my house “ hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005