Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I find Roche a very particular kind of annoying in an ongoing, incomplete story: I don't know what he's doing here aside from injecting some kind of 'fun', but also I don't find him fun. But because the story's not done yet I can't just tune him out completely (which would not be hard) because he might turn out to matter.

In personality he reminds me of DMC3 Dante. And much like DMC3 Dante, every time he shared a scene with somebody I was more interested in every other part of the scene.

Gotta admit I'm shocked you played any DMC because you've repeatedly said you hate action games in this thread but also it's very funny to imagine someone watching any of the DMC cutscenes with Jester and going "Dante's definitely the least good part of this scene."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I disagree with a lot of things Cleretic says but I understand them.

I do not understand playing a Devil May Cry game and thinking Dante is less interesting than, like, everybody except maybe Virgil or Nero.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sonic is good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dante is good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hellioning posted:

I disagree with a lot of things Cleretic says but I understand them.

I do not understand playing a Devil May Cry game and thinking Dante is less interesting than, like, everybody except maybe Virgil or Nero.

DMC3 has Lady, and the biggest mistake of DMC3 is not realizing that Lady is the most compelling character it had both in action and story.

Honestly, I played the DMC HD collection out of curiosity; it was cheap, the games were short, I thought maybe games so lauded in the genre would stand alongside the ones I liked (mostly ome of the slower-paced or RPG-focused Platinum stuff like Astral Chain or Nier Automata), and there was a famously bad one in the mix and I wanted to see just how bad it got.

DMC1 was the most fun to me, since it was basically old-school Resident Evil without terrible combat. I liked 1's vibe quite a bit.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 29, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah, gotcha. I was looking at this

That square off in the middle of nowhere, and the "hole" square a bit above it - stuff like that makes me nervous, ya know. But I'm glad to hear SFF fixed things, thanks again.

One other thing that's important to mention is that when you get all three of a character's Quickenings, it removes all the Quickening licenses you didn't get from their license boards. It is possible that a square that's off by itself isn't from an esper, but a Quickening license that's gone because you have all three of that character's Quickenings.

Now I know you said you hate Quickenings and you kind of want to ignore them so that's probably not what's happening here, but it is something important to keep in mind. You want to make sure you're unlocking Quickenings effectively to get you something on both job boards.

MechaX posted:

tbh I wasn't feeling Roche when he immediately first appeared but then I just embraced the chaos the farther i got in that level and let things play out

Yeah, same. He's a fun character and I like him but he also feels incredibly unnecessary. Now admittedly I only just met Aerith so I still have a lot of game to go, and there's also two entire games after this one where Roche could fit into the plot and I'll go "Oh man, that's perfect for having him in Remake." But as it is, he's basically a character I think is cool that I also think has no reason to exist and kind of brings the game down a bit for me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think Roche adds a lot. Through his disdain and abuse of the Shinra grunts you learn that the SOLDIER program has a lot of autonomy and doesn’t really answer to the same hierarchies that the general Shinra security guys do. He reinforces the theme built up by the visit to Jesse’s dad’s room, that Shinra cares as little for most of its employees as it does for the general populace. He also helps characterize Cloud by being our first look at an active SOLDIER so we get a better picture of Cloud by the stark contrast in their personalities, but also the similarity of their abilities.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Chrono Trigger is probably my first pick for "honorary FF" once you play the actual ones.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electromax posted:

Chrono Trigger is probably my first pick for "honorary FF" once you play the actual ones.
Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light :colbert:

(or just Bravely Default)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i wish they would do another Golden Sun game :(

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Isn't Chrono Trigger one of the concepts for a FF that spun into its own game, ala Secret of Mana and Xenogears? That would make it a true honorary FF.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Isn't Chrono Trigger one of the concepts for a FF that spun into its own game, ala Secret of Mana and Xenogears? That would make it a true honorary FF.

I don't think so, actually, from what I can find. Weirdly it was originally going to be under the Seiken Densetsu/Mana series; meanwhile, Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) was codenamed "Chrono Trigger" during development before it became Seikden Densetsu 2. Weird switch-up there.

Chrono Trigger's development is kind of a fun story because it's this wild crossover project featuring the creators of both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, long before Square and Enix merged. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii, and Akira Toriyama all went to the US to research computer graphics and decided to make something together, and that eventually turned into Chrono Trigger.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Defeated the guard scorpion before toddler demon woke up. If other bosses/large enemies have similar phases with varying gimmicks I'm in for a treat. Combat slaps, it's a bit different from other FF action but I'm getting the hang of it.

Can you have your party pals automatically use their atb moves or is the intention that you juggle them around?

I got strong terminator 2 vibes off of the opening sequence and, to me, that owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Defeated the guard scorpion before toddler demon woke up. If other bosses/large enemies have similar phases with varying gimmicks I'm in for a treat. Combat slaps, it's a bit different from other FF action but I'm getting the hang of it.

Can you have your party pals automatically use their atb moves or is the intention that you juggle them around?

Yeah a lot of bosses are like that. Generally you can expect that if there was a memorable boss or even memorable regular encounter from the original, it's going to get a big setpiece boss battle in Remake.

There's no automation for party members, no. You're meant to be switching between them regularly because ATB also builds much more quickly for the character you're actively controlling. Switching characters also spreads damage around well because enemies tend to prefer targeting whoever you're controlling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I got strong terminator 2 vibes off of the opening sequence and, to me, that owns.

You can't largely because you want to always be swapping and because many moves are situational. You don't want Barret blowing all his ATB on Steelskin or whatever

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Goddammit all you goons playing FF7R are making me want to play it again but I just started the Yakuza series :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man I wish Yakuza had FF7R combat

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The game doesn't tell you this but elemental weaknesses are best used to pressure/stagger an enemy, not do damage. The real damage comes from ATB moves/triangle abilities.

Also I hate every flying enemy in that game. Stop dodging my wind spells!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Man I wish Yakuza had FF7R combat

FF7R should have had Yakuza's unhinged sidequests tbh.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF7R needs a Tiger Drop equivalent

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FF7R's combat engine actually seems like it would mesh really well with the Yakuza series. I think you'd just need to cut the encounter rate down some.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would certainly be better than the combat in Yakuza 7

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF7R needs a Tiger Drop equivalent

Cloud's Counterstance move he can learn late in the game isn't too far off, in that it's an absolutely devastating counterattack you can use on almost any attack

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It would certainly be better than the combat in Yakuza 7

That's Dragon Quest's fault

It's a shame we never got the Yakuza 7 where Ichiban was real into FF8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've only played three Yakuza games (0, both Kiwamis although I haven't finished 2), but they all seem generally solid and enjoyable with the caveat that they've all got one extremely broken bullshit thing that you're gonna eventually need to learn just because eventually the game gets unfair enough that you need it.

So I'd put 'em in the top third of character action games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

DMC3 has Lady, and the biggest mistake of DMC3 is not realizing that Lady is the most compelling character it had both in action and story.

Honestly, I played the DMC HD collection out of curiosity; it was cheap, the games were short, I thought maybe games so lauded in the genre would stand alongside the ones I liked (mostly ome of the slower-paced or RPG-focused Platinum stuff like Astral Chain or Nier Automata), and there was a famously bad one in the mix and I wanted to see just how bad it got.

DMC1 was the most fun to me, since it was basically old-school Resident Evil without terrible combat. I liked 1's vibe quite a bit.

Lady is the one character with a less interesting story than dante in 3. Even jester has the but that he's actually 2 guys just loving with the twins by being them but even more stupid to make fun of them and egg them on to where he wants them. Lady's got an extremely simple and bare bones revenge story which hinges on the least charismatic character in the story.

This is just you seeing a lady and assuming she has to be more interesting than everyone else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lady is the one character with a less interesting story than dante in 3. Even jester has the but that he's actually 2 guys just loving with the twins by being them but even more stupid to make fun of them and egg them on to where he wants them. Lady's got an extremely simple and bare bones revenge story which hinges on the least charismatic character in the story.

This is just you seeing a lady and assuming she has to be more interesting than everyone else.

A: She literally has a more compelling reason to be in the story than Dante himself, and it's actual bullshit that she gets told to sit out of the finale for no good reason.

B: She has crazy gun-fu poo poo as her whole aesthetic and gimmick. I am not typically someone motivated by aesthetic over story, but we're talking about a game that cares so much more about style than its story that they invented the concept of the style rating, so I think it's worth pointing out that out of every major player in the game, she was the one with the most fun fighting style to watch.

If you just assumed I went 'lady, therefore better' then I would've considered Trish among the best parts of DMC1, instead of getting sick of her constant betrayals followed by the game declaring that Dante Really Cares About Her.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Help Im Alive posted:

That's Dragon Quest's fault

It's a shame we never got the Yakuza 7 where Ichiban was real into FF8
instead of a gunblade he just holds a sword in one hand and a gun in the other :hmmyes:

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Replaying 13 for the first time in four years - thanks again for the earlier help with mods. I've set up FF13Fix and the 4gb RAM mod, and it's smooth sailing. Just beat Shivamotorcycle and arrived at The Vile Peaks. About four hours in.

So far:

Super important to skip as much combat as possible until you beat Anima - you get basically nothing for participation, it's boring and the only enemies worth fighting are the ones guarding chests (which contain several weapon upgrades).

Lightning is insane, I immediately like her. She's struggling with a lot and is obviously terrible at controlling her emotional response to things. It's good and it's been interesting.
Snow is terrible.
Hope is having a very strange reaction to his Mother's death, which I understand, he is a child.
Vanilla is present and her VA is really weird.
Sazh has been excellent since the very first scene.

I remember a lot of the first few hours of 13, so no surprises here. Few things though;

Game really likes to spell out what l'Cie and Ci'eth are which is great - what's less great is the manner in which this information is conveyed to the Player. Thanks to "Old Myths and Legends and such" these characters know a tremendous amount: I guess you can infer that the whole l'Cie thing is widely taught and known about within Cocoon society, which makes sense considering there's a news broadcast that says the vast majority of Cocoon residents agree with and would not be against a second "Purge" which... speaks volumes of the society of Cocoon, it's really depressing to hear something like that, even in the context of the game.

At the moment Snow is pissing me off. His motivation, mood and general direction varies wildly by scene and whilst I get that a character trait of his is "guy who is making it up as he goes along" this isn't really that - that character trait is interesting and can lead to good moments and storytelling. Snow right now is just loving neurotic and makes any scene he's in suck.

One final thought for now; this game is still wonderful to look at, it's impressive how much its age doesn't really show. Also the designed for Ci'eth are excellent - I never noticed the little human like faces before now and it's creepy as all heck.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sazh rules and is a Chocobo Bearer, making him a truly excellent character

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Sazh rules and is a Chocobo Bearer, making him a truly excellent character

Final Fantasy Chocobo Chronicles: The Chocobo Bearers
Final Fantasy: Legend Of The Chocobos
The Chocobo Braves
Chocobo Defenders

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Final Fantasy Chocobo Chronicles: The Chocobo Bearers
Final Fantasy: Legend Of The Chocobos
The Chocobo Braves
Chocobo Defenders

Kweh of the Warrior

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Kweh of the Warrior

I'm here to kill Kwehos

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

iTrust posted:

At the moment Snow is pissing me off. His motivation, mood and general direction varies wildly by scene and whilst I get that a character trait of his is "guy who is making it up as he goes along" this isn't really that - that character trait is interesting and can lead to good moments and storytelling. Snow right now is just loving neurotic and makes any scene he's in suck.
welcome back to ff13 please enjoy your ride

Snow is absolute dogshit for every single scene except the one 13-2 ending where he rolls in on a motorcycle and snatches Serah off to be Time Cops together and no explanation is given why, because at least that's funny

like, dude was probably intended to be a stereotypical FF protagonist a la Bartz? but fuckin just whiffed it totally

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm a dub guy generally but last time I tried to replay FFXIII I had to go JP and it was like night and day, the English direction is just awful most of the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

welcome back to ff13 please enjoy your ride

Snow is absolute dogshit for every single scene except the one 13-2 ending where he rolls in on a motorcycle and snatches Serah off to be Time Cops together and no explanation is given why, because at least that's funny

like, dude was probably intended to be a stereotypical FF protagonist a la Bartz? but fuckin just whiffed it totally

He is very explicitly a Locke reference, right down to dead girlfriend and quoting Locke with minor changes in the Japanese version.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I will say that I find it neat that FF13's setting sucks so much for everyone that the solution isn't to fix it but to destroy it and ship everyone to a new world. It's not a very Final Fantasy answer to the problem the protagonists face.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ImpAtom posted:

He is very explicitly a Locke reference, right down to dead girlfriend and quoting Locke with minor changes in the Japanese version.

does he ever do the little finger wag

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

If you ever get the urge to replay FF13, please play the English VA because I'm really curious on the differences between the English and Japanese versions based on your previous posts about how different the Japanese dialogue is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i do think 13's dub is more natural than 15's, so far, with the maybe exception of vanille who is french and australian somehow but i'm thinking about deciding its charming. the 14 arr and 15 dubs are even weirder sandwiched between 13 and the excellent 7r dub