Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Ok, maybe Multiverse of Madness "has a plot held together with duct tape and prayers" and "doesn't live up to it's title" and "Dr. Strange is a boring protagonist" and "is the worst recent multiverse movie" but Strange possessing his own alternate universe corpse then weaving a cloud of ghosts into a cape to fly around is such a bonkers rad idea I give it an extra star rating just for that. You can really feel Sam Raimi's hand in, like, 60% of scenes and that was enough for me to have a good time.

This is where I land on the movie. It's got a lot of narrative flaws, but there's so much metal poo poo going on I'm having a good time regardless. I do hope we get more America Chavez soon, though, as she was criminally underused despite being so important to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The only thing I would have liked to see out of MOM is Wong being more of a badass. I sorta like the dichotomy between Strange being the improv wizard who will attack with like giant ghosts and animate sheet music and poo poo, just seemingly making up spells on the fly, and Wong being the very best at the fundamentals, having absolutely nailed the basics of "orange rune disks and crackly beams" to a degree that's Strange-comparable. I'd like to see more of that onscreen instead of Wong getting one good move in but mostly getting blasted around.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I never read any Dr. Strange comics but in the MCU both Sorcerer Supreme’s we’ve seen seem more like custodians of the mystic arts rather than walking offensive powerhouses. Comes off as more like a “I know and keep track of all the awful poo poo not to be trusted to the general mystical population” than an enforcer.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well they definitely seem to have given Wong a gimmick already, taking our huge monsters with just the sling ring.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

Well they definitely seem to have given Wong a gimmick already, taking our huge monsters with just the sling ring.

And hooking up with women who have a personality.

Sorry McAdams, they didn't give you much to work with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I never read any Dr. Strange comics but in the MCU both Sorcerer Supreme’s we’ve seen seem more like custodians of the mystic arts rather than walking offensive powerhouses. Comes off as more like a “I know and keep track of all the awful poo poo not to be trusted to the general mystical population” than an enforcer.

I think they definitely are powerhouses as well, but maybe not the most powerful. Strange definitely is way above Wong in terms of ability with spells and creativity.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lobok posted:

And hooking up with women who have a personality.

Sorry McAdams, they didn't give you much to work with.

Honestly pretty happy they gave her a happy married off story conclusion in this one just because a "Choose between Clea and Christine" triangle arc as part of the third one would have sucked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, it's both. Strange's is the custodian of our reality, and part of that job is stopping entities like Dormammu from eating it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soul Glo posted:

in the comics being the guy who keeps track of all the bad poo poo is at least 80% of his job and his house is basically a huge storage unit for bad magic stuff

theironjef posted:

Well they definitely seem to have given Wong a gimmick already, he's actually cool as hell

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've only seen the first Dr Strange once and my memory might be hazy but I never got the feeling that Rachel McAdams character was Stranger's one true love (tm) so his reactions in What If? and Strange 2 seemed somewhat off to me in regards to her character. For me the best parts of Strange 2 were all the Raimi horror stuff which made it rise above mediocre which I just feel like Marvel movies are kind of sinking into. Not terrible but not great either. I definitely feel like Marvel has peaks and valleys in the past but they have settled more into a plateau now where they don't have to try anything too out there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Titan fight against Thanos pretty much seals Strange as a powerhouse

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TwoPair posted:

I think why a lot of people think a speedster can't do a movie is because for years they've seen certain moments in comics/TV/movies where a speedster does something absolutely batshit and it's like "well okay if the Flash can go so fast he can reverse time literally nothing outside of another speedster should ever threaten him again". But those are just individual moments.
Flash comics have always relied on just not explaining how Captain Cold or Dr. Alchemy can get the drop on a speedster. But like...I think the Flash has enough powers that he doesn't need a lightsaber or the ability to caber-toss a passenger plane, and if they can't do anything fun with his powers it's time to hang it up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well ok then

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1575552861496172544?s=46&t=j2OhMmcCso26WwlqyTSE1Q

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Please let me witness a return to the days of Harrison Ford in a mustache

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why not just use a different character?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Black Widow and Eternals have been the only post Endgame stuff that wasn't great, and even then they're just pretty good. I'll take either over Dark World

I liked the Black Widow movie once I realized it wasn't a movie about Natasha and instead was a movie about the Black Widow program.

And I liked Eternals OK but it was really heavy on the Blorbo stuff. If you ignore that it's a pretty nice self-contained story and I liked the characters well enough that I want to see most of them again. Ma Dong-Seok was wasted, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

My favorite part of Infinity War was Wong just looking at all the bullshit going on and deciding to peace out of the plot.

Wong owns.

Jamesman posted:

And I liked Eternals OK but it was really heavy on the Blorbo stuff. If you ignore that it's a pretty nice self-contained story and I liked the characters well enough that I want to see most of them again. Ma Dong-Seok was wasted, though.

Heavy on the what?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Why not just use a different character?

It is a different character. His name is actually Thaddeus Bartholomew Ross while his deceased brother was Henry Thaddeus Ross.

But you can call him Thunderbolt Ross, out of respect for his deceased brother.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hope that Ford rumor isn't true, because it'd be pretty stupid to cast a guy who's infamous for A) not really giving a poo poo about most of his roles these days (short of Indy and, I suppose, Deckard in BR2049) and B) trying to exceed Joseph Joestar's record for recreationally crashing planes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is neither here nor there, but from scanning the dude's twitter feed, the source of that rumor seems like a real preening rear end in a top hat.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

It is a different character. His name is actually Thaddeus Bartholomew Ross while his deceased brother was Henry Thaddeus Ross.

But you can call him Thunderbolt Ross, out of respect for his deceased brother.

It’ll be like we never lost Thunderbolt Ross!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Cast Lizzo. Put a mustache on her. Don’t address the change in the film, meaning she will be playing a 70 year old white man.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 29, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh,
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1575610472878907393

y'know Kevin you'd cut down on a solid number of these "Marvel's in disarray" think pieces if you didn't keep changing your mind every five minutes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
don deserves to finally headline a movie

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Heavy on the what?

Blorbo from my shows/It's me, Blorko

The thing where there's a completely pointless inclusion to the movie to tie it into the greater MCU and tease future projects. Eternals was a particularly bad offender of this, with Dane, Blade, Pip, Starfox, and probably a few other references thrown in there along the way.

Also Harrison Ford will play the Inhuman Prince, Thundergar Boltagon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jamesman posted:

Blorbo from my shows/It's me, Blorko

That's sounds dumb and whoever came up with those names or whatever is dumb.

Jamesman posted:

The thing where there's a completely pointless inclusion to the movie to tie it into the greater MCU and tease future projects. Eternals was a particularly bad offender of this, with Dane, Blade, Pip, Starfox, and probably a few other references thrown in there along the way.

Three of those were mid/post-credits scenes so that's kind of a weird thing to hold against the movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Three of those were mid/post-credits scenes so that's kind of a weird thing to hold against the movie.

Yeah but that's what the movie leaves you with. It's the final impression. It's only a minor gripe of mine against the movie, because like I said, I thought it was decent overall. The movie stands well enough on its own and tells a story I thought was interesting and introduced a bunch of characters I would like to see more of in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

don deserves to finally headline a movie

Sorry, Don Cheadle will only be in it for about a minute.

But he'll still get a best supporting actor Oscar nomination.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vandar posted:

That's sounds dumb and whoever came up with those names or whatever is dumb.

You should try googling Blorbo, it has synonyms including crunkly, scrimblo, and eeby-deeby, and it just means "your favorite character." As in like "On Buffy, Xander was my blorbo."

Also I sorta doubt that Pip and Starfox will just be gone from Eternals 2, they were being introduced to be a part of the next one. Don't think that counts as fan-wankery so much as just direct sequel setup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wonder if this Armor Wars change has to do with the issues going on with Blade

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

theironjef posted:

You should try googling Blorbo, it has synonyms including crunkly, scrimblo, and eeby-deeby,
The Eternals have such stupid names

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if this Armor Wars change has to do with the issues going on with Blade

My first thought was that Cheadle deserves a starring role. My second one was "Armor Wars suggests a bunch of armor suits, and that's gonna be even more expensive that when She-Hulk has her one fight every three episodes, so a movie makes a lot more sense."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

Yeah but that's what the movie leaves you with. It's the final impression. It's only a minor gripe of mine against the movie, because like I said, I thought it was decent overall. The movie stands well enough on its own and tells a story I thought was interesting and introduced a bunch of characters I would like to see more of in the future.

That's how all of phase one and most of the other movies have been, the stingers almost always hype the next thing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Opopanax posted:

That's how all of phase one and most of the other movies have been, the stingers almost always hype the next thing

The big difference is that then the stingers were by and large hyping up the next thing, the ones now are much more "well here's a thing that will happen...at some point, maybe"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The big difference is that then the stingers were by and large hyping up the next thing, the ones now are much more "well here's a thing that will happen...at some point, maybe"

Yeah, they definitely paid them off super quickly back in the old days. Hey, when did they first introduce Tim Blake Nelson turning into Leader again? Oh right, 2008, I forgot because it was 14 years ago.

I can't even say the Blade tease won't pay off forever, we know when Blade is coming. Honestly I'm straining to remember unpaid off stuff that wasn't just bait for sequels that we still know are coming, like Clea or Xialing taking over the 10 Rings. Maybe Helen Cho being introduced in Avengers 2 and then that not really going anywhere?

I do remember people complaining that the post-credits of Dark World (Thor shows up at Jane's apartment not dead and kisses her) being useless as of Ragnarok because she wasn't in it, but I guess that one paid off 9 years later in Love & Thunder.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 30, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

Huh,
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1575610472878907393

y'know Kevin you'd cut down on a solid number of these "Marvel's in disarray" think pieces if you didn't keep changing your mind every five minutes.

Probably for the best. I have no particular attachment to Armor Wars as a concept, but they should be judicious about which projects merit the longer running time and lower budget of a Disney+ series, and which ones are better suited to a film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Riri was going to play some part in Armor Wars, right? Maybe they’re expecting her debut in Wakanda Forever to be really well received and want to beef up the Armor Wars role and use it to co-lead a movie at the same time?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

I'm working on an article about popular MCU theories from over the years that ended up going nowhere. I'm looking for some suggestions.

Thanks for the help, everybody. Here is the final product.

While I'm shilling, here's a thing I wrote looking at the history of Marvel properties in theme parks. Apparently MCU Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl show up in the Spider-Man Disneyland ride that nobody really likes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Riri was going to play some part in Armor Wars, right? Maybe they’re expecting her debut in Wakanda Forever to be really well received and want to beef up the Armor Wars role and use it to co-lead a movie at the same time?

Isn't she getting her own D+ series under Ironheart?

I have to wonder, how do you go from a presumably 8 episode series down to a 2 hour movie? Also, aren't contracts different by design between TV and movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

I have to wonder, how do you go from a presumably 8 episode series down to a 2 hour movie?

With how the last few D+ shows have gone, this should be pretty drat easy!