Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imagine going with TotesMarissa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Listening to The Flop House a couple of weeks ago I was surprised to find out that there are a bunch of cheap "Amityville" horror movies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

muscles like this! posted:

Listening to The Flop House a couple of weeks ago I was surprised to find out that there are a bunch of cheap "Amityville" horror movies.

I guess that's the natural result of branding that uses a somewhat uncommon name, of a real place, which you also can't possibly own the rights to.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's because you can't really make an intellectual property out of it, anyone can make a movie about a haunted house in the town of Amityville, NY. The original murders were an actual event, and the town really exists. The only thing you'd have to pay for is if you want to use the story of the Lutz family, which is what the original and remake are based on. Even in the original series they left the house and town by the fourth entry. There's a string of sequels in the nineties that are just haunted objects that originally came from the house like a mirror, a lamp, a clock, a dollhouse, etc.

EDIT: I've mentioned this before, but having grown up five minutes from Ocean Ave, it's really funny that literally every single movie that takes place in the house fucks up the geography. They make it seem like the houses were on these big pieces of property and you'd have to take a walk to the neighbor's place when the houses are actually very close together, like being able to look into the windows next door. What makes it even more absurd is that the biggest reason the murders were so frightening and inexplicable is because of the proximity of the neighbors and that no one heard someone shooting six people to death that night.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 27, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kiimo posted:

Imagine going with TotesMarissa

The mind shudders

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Eh a horror movie needs an element of isolation. When your neighbors can hear you having sex and pound on the wall it’s not too spooky.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not for you, maybe. Think of the neighbor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Horror in an actual apartment building works because a lot of the time despite being surrounded by people on all sides total social isolation is still possible.

Also a lot more people have lived and died in any apartment block older than a couple decades than even the oldest and spookiest manor house so they should all be full of ghosts.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 27, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Waffleman_ posted:

Not for you, maybe. Think of the neighbor.

If they don’t want to hear me scream jimminie jillickers that’s their problem!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Horror in an actual apartment building works because a lot of the time despite being surrounded by people on all sides total social isolation is still possible.

Also a lot more people have lived and died in any apartment block older than a couple decades than even the oldest and spookiest manor house so they should all be full of ghosts.

and there's always the horror of being physically in a tight-knit community that you aren't a part of.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

A24 had a movie last year called The Humans that, while not outright horror, effectively used the apartment it was set in to ramp the creepiness and claustrophobia and metaphor way up.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, claustrophobic or paranoid horror/thriller things work great in an apartment. Anonymity in the big city, and so on. The idea that there are people on all sides, but none of them notice or care what happens to you (and/or are "part of it") is scary unto itself. Black Swan is a phenomenal story of intense isolation set in the middle of New York.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They made a whole Silent Hill game about it even

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Good points! I guess you don’t need to show physical isolation from others, but perhaps it’s an overused trope of the haunted house genre.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making a spooky apartment film that never leaves the apartment would be pretty cheap.

Maybe have a scene where the character first sees something inside the actual apartment, a silhouette in a doorway or something, and locks themselves in the bathroom and calls the cops who only show up two hours later because it's a dodgy neighborhood.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Candyman is the ultimate Apartment Horror film and explicitly shows the cops ignoring what happens there until a white lady gets involved

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The movie itself sucks, but Poltergeist III has some pretty good ideas of what to do in a haunted skyscraper. It’s also mostly practical effects and there are mirrors everywhere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT: I've mentioned this before, but having grown up five minutes from Ocean Ave, it's really funny that literally every single movie that takes place in the house fucks up the geography. They make it seem like the houses were on these big pieces of property and you'd have to take a walk to the neighbor's place when the houses are actually very close together, like being able to look into the windows next door. What makes it even more absurd is that the biggest reason the murders were so frightening and inexplicable is because of the proximity of the neighbors and that no one heard someone shooting six people to death that night.

Yeah when I did a deep dive on it all that was one of the big things that stood out. Insane to think that no one heard people being murdered with a rifle. And the idea that Ronald didn't act alone but maybe his sister was involved.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Candyman is the ultimate Apartment Horror film

Rosemary's Baby though

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Candyman is the ultimate Apartment Horror

I mean, maybe…

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

muscles like this! posted:

I kind of want to see all of them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

I kind of want to see all of them.

This photoshop can't be real. Tell me it isn't real.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kiimo posted:

This photoshop can't be real. Tell me it isn't real.

you tell me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SsiMl8b1D0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

amazing

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Expectations were low but christ

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amityville in Space is apparently not any better. I mean, it is a Mark Polonia movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cinema is an art form

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah yes, Amityville in the hood of upstate New York

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don't know dick about these Maze Runner movies the director's done, but that hasn't stopped me from pounding my fists on the desk while chanting "Apes! Apes! Apes!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The apes better wear fuckin clothes in this one or imma be pissed

Gimme:

gimme gimme gimme

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah yes, Amityville in the hood of upstate New York

While it’s still not the hood, Amityville is on Long Island.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

caligulamprey posted:

I don't know dick about these Maze Runner movies the director's done, but that hasn't stopped me from pounding my fists on the desk while chanting "Apes! Apes! Apes!"

Oh my God we're getting another one? This is awesome, I thought it was done after 3.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Amityville Droods.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Get Matt Reeves back to do apes, except it's a sequel to his Batman and it's Batman vs. Gorilla Grodd.

With Detective Chimp being his sleuthing mentor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But Grod is a Flash villian!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

But Grod is a Flash villian!

Unfortunately Flash has become the villain so his rogues gallery is up for grabs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

caligulamprey posted:

Oh hell yes. The Apes trilogy (?) is low-key one of the best movies series of the past decade. The third one starts to border on being a silent movie even, there's only like three credited non-ape actors and the rest is just Andy Serkis doing sign language to himself.

It's also great because the producers realized that titling two movies Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes might be a wee bit confusing, so the third movie literally opens with a mnemonic on how to tell them apart.