Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Isn't Woli going to gas himself out quicker with all the running around and jumping between rounds? What a ridiculous character.

Presumably he had tons of stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

a whole like three chapters for the payoff of ricardo going "what the gently caress is this, is this even boxing"

the page where wally's hands are behind his back with his face straight up in front of ricardo with his fists up is so goddamn funny and i hope it has a really good payoff

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I, too, was more invested in the stool being placed than the actual match

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Good to see Ippo's training paid off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
At least it's pretty certain that we'll see Ricardo pop off and switch to his "natural" style....at which point Woli is going to be massacred.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I was on board with this at the start because I thought it was a funny idea, but it's starting to be a bit obnoxious

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm betting Woli is going to start falling apart the second he realizes the depths of the predicament he's in. Ricardo won't be goaded into slipping up and once he's satisfied with his observations, he'll be out for blood, and even though Woli has the physicality to compete, he won't have the psychological or technical means to.

To put it another way: Ippo fights in a way that, despite metaphorically disembowling people with body blows, makes other fighters realize their love for boxing. Guys like Sendo and Martinez... do the opposite.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

To put it another way: Ippo fights in a way that, despite metaphorically disembowling people with body blows, makes other fighters realize their love for boxing. Guys like Sendo and Martinez... do the opposite.

Yeah remember that time Sendo ended a guy's career with FEAR :spooky: Think it was his first title defense after Volg.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah remember that time Sendo ended a guy's career with FEAR :spooky: Think it was his first title defense after Volg.

No, he ended Shigeta's career by completely breaking him. The guy was knocked out and Sendo kept smashing him upwards just so he couldn't fall down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duM3apskeHA&t=778s

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ippo makes people realize they love boxing by being a boxer with a Swiss cheese defense (and brain) and a habitual use of simple movement patterns that beg for counters. You can’t be a serious boxer and come away thinking you’ll lose next time.

He’s a perfectly designed arcade game boss fight that just devours quarters because it keeps revealing more health bars.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like ippo’s students saying “there’s nothing we can learn from this match”, but not for the reasons they think

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
After 20 years, Hajime no Ippo has finally become an anime.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In the next chapter Ricardo will reveal that he spent his youth in the Mexican jungles so he has experience fighting monkeys.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ricardo: Muda muda MUDA MUDA MUDAAA!!!

Woli will then reveal his stand, The Monkees

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

trucutru posted:

In the next chapter Ricardo will reveal that he spent his youth in the Mexican jungles so he has experience fighting monkeys.

Man gently caress its gonna be this isnt it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bisse posted:

Ricardo: Muda muda IN A GADDA DA VIDA!!!

Ricardo will then reveal his Sunday Punch, The Iron Butterfly

:hmmyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ricardo uses his flexible muscles and strong bones to treat his arm like a bow, and fires an arrow at Woli

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ricardo will turn away from woli, revealing his back muscles to be in the shape of a demon's face

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ricardo knocks out the ref so Woli can no longer hide behind him. The fight continues as normal

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ricardo is gonna punch and knock out the ref so Woli can no longer hide behind him

CharlestonJew posted:

Ricardo knocks out the ref so Woli can no longer hide behind him. The fight continues as normal

Great minds think alike

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would laugh so hard if he punches out the ref. Also yeah goddamn it Woli irks me. Like dude just gets away with poo poo not even allowed. Like thats not new but Woli its so blatantly over the top.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He has not done anything against the rules in this match.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Woli will start riding a dog and Ricardo will think "drat, there's nothing in the rulebook saying a dog can't be in a boxing match"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't see how an old fuddy-duddy like Ricardo can keep up with this. I think Woli has this in the bag.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Fereydun posted:

a whole like three chapters for the payoff of ricardo going "what the gently caress is this, is this even boxing"

the page where wally's hands are behind his back with his face straight up in front of ricardo with his fists up is so goddamn funny and i hope it has a really good payoff

that's probably the least dumb thing woli's done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSsfxYkBW0

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

has he turned his back to ricardo at any point

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

has he turned his back to ricardo at any point

Not yet from memory. Other than when he ran past him, but he turned around right away.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I just love the buildup to "Ricardo's still watching! What's he going to do?!"

Like Woli is jumping off the ringposts, using anime dash powers and getting away with every kind of nonsense, Ricardo throwing a carefully aimed punch is not going to deliver the payoff George might think it will.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ricardo is boring, at least Woli does something other than literally stand in one spot in the ring. I'd be booing my loving head off if I were at this fight.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'd be booing because Woli's corner had clearly bribed the ref.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nilbop posted:

Like Woli is jumping off the ringposts, using anime dash powers and getting away with every kind of nonsense, Ricardo throwing a carefully aimed punch is not going to deliver the payoff George might think it will.

it will if woli just falls the gently caress over

even if he gets back up it would still rule

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If your hand touches the mat, it's a down, right? So no escalation to cartwheels from Woli or anything?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Basically any body part other than your feet I believe

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stop wavedashing, woli

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If your hand touches the mat, it's a down, right? So no escalation to cartwheels from Woli or anything?

Has to be as a result of a blow from the opponent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Woli is going to copy aokis look away move and knock out ricardo

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

donotpost posted:

that's probably the least dumb thing woli's done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSsfxYkBW0
lmao holy poo poo that rules, i actually can't believe that's not only real, but lead to a knockdown

now where's a high profile boxing match where one of the boxers is throwing punches while using the ref as a human shield

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Nilbop posted:

I don't know, I'd be pretty satisfied with a whole chapter of Ricardo doing A Beautiful Mind calculations, taking into account humidity, wind resistance, Wally's fatigue from previous sprints, his adrenaline fighting in front of an away crowd... then on the last page he perfectly times one of Wally's sprints and hits him with a shovel hook that spins his head around 180 degrees.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I'd like Ricardo to slowly panic at being unable to hit Woli and resort to bullrushing him and one-inch punching his stomach, leaving a machisimo-infused fist mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I'd like Ricardo to take out a gun and shoot that little freak