Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/a24/status/1574745693318795264?s=21&t=LfRkuFVyXKdE-3_J1bn5nQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dunno what's going on but I'm into it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/mudron/status/1575282318306312192
Crappy version but Indiana Jones trailer from D23.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/mudron/status/1575282318306312192
Crappy version but Indiana Jones trailer from D23.

If it's the same version I watched on Instagram yesterday, it's almost unwatchable (cue the "So just like Crystal Skull?" jokes). The cam was filmed at, like, a 45 degree angle, and that's when it was held steady, which was not the entire time.

It's gone now, but it's fine, you're better off waiting for the real version. I'm honestly not sure what I even saw.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that was very underwhelming

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I like how every time there's a new horror movie I can just be like "I wonder who Naomi Watts plays in this one"

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

If it's the same version I watched on Instagram yesterday, it's almost unwatchable (cue the "So just like Crystal Skull?" jokes). The cam was filmed at, like, a 45 degree angle, and that's when it was held steady, which was not the entire time.

It's gone now, but it's fine, you're better off waiting for the real version. I'm honestly not sure what I even saw.

Man... I'm getting old. I can't believe Crystal Skull came out 14 years ago. I never saw it. I'm actually surprised to see that the last Spielberg movie I've seen was Catch Me If You Can. I've seen all of his movies up until that one, but none of them since then. Any that I really should watch?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

confused posted:

Man... I'm getting old. I can't believe Crystal Skull came out 14 years ago. I never saw it. I'm actually surprised to see that the last Spielberg movie I've seen was Catch Me If You Can. I've seen all of his movies up until that one, but none of them since then. Any that I really should watch?

Minority Report came out the same year as Catch Me If You Can and it rocks, Munich is very good, Lincoln is okay.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tintin's a better Indiana Jones movie than Crystal Skull. Or at least, the cartoony elements are less incongruous when the entire movie is animated.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I like how every time there's a new horror movie I can just be like "I wonder who Naomi Watts plays in this one"

The Impossible counts as a horror movie in my book

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Minority Report is really good, but it looks ugly as hell with its bland grey production design and its over the top bleach bypass. Looks better if you turn your TV color to black and white, at least.

Still bummed it wasn't the Verhoven Total Recall sequel it started life as. Arnold in a goofier weirder more visually compelling version of that story would be raad.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

confused posted:

Seconding Minority Report, great movie and one that I don't think quite gets enough recognition for driving a lot of sci-fi visuals, concepts, etc in a lot of stuff since then.

Too bad Spielberg and Cruise never got around to doing their third collab.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seconding Minority Report, great movie and one that I don't think quite gets enough recognition for driving a lot of sci-fi visuals, concepts, etc in a lot of stuff since then.

I did see Minority Report when it came out. Was meh about it at the time. I got it in my head that it came out before Catch Me If You Can. So sounds like I'm not missing much in his recent output.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I personally think West Side Story is Spielberg's best movie in years. It shows a passion for filmmaking that I didn't think he had anymore, and it looks fantastic. But you do have to get over the Ansel Elgort problem in order to enjoy it. Both that he sucks as a person, and that he sucks in the movie.

In his defense on the latter one, Tony is the worst character in the movie. No one ever stands out as Tony.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think Minority Report gets a lot of credit. At the time, if my memory serves, rather than just designing cool poo poo, Spielberg put together a big think tank of MIT folks. So they were actually striving for real ideas of what the people in those industries thought was going to happen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

confused posted:

I did see Minority Report when it came out. Was meh about it at the time. I got it in my head that it came out before Catch Me If You Can. So sounds like I'm not missing much in his recent output.

not really, no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I think Minority Report gets a lot of credit. At the time, if my memory serves, rather than just designing cool poo poo, Spielberg put together a big think tank of MIT folks. So they were actually striving for real ideas of what the people in those industries thought was going to happen.

The visual aesthetic is way ahead of its time, but the plot devices are absolute fluff, it's simply not weird enough for PKD and leans hard on cliche.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The visual aesthetic is way ahead of its time, but the plot devices are absolute fluff, it's simply not weird enough for PKD and leans hard on cliche.

I actually kinda like the way PKD's cynical weirdness butts up against Spielberg's populism. It's similar to the clashing tones in AI, but it works better in Minority Report IMO.

I do wish they had kept the originally scripted title card at the end about the murder rate shooting back up once they stopped using the precogs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Fabelmans looks good and I'm not just saying that because I'm at Universal now. I understand though that goons are dead inside and will probably call it schmaltzy

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Spielberg owns and I mostly like his recent movies (except ready player one, that’s a hard skip). I’m glad someone is still out there making non-cynical schmaltzy movies, and he’s a drat master of the craft who’s still got it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

by the way I have gone my entire life without watching Fast and the Furious and was content to go the rest of my life without doing so.

and now I have to watch all loving ten of them. I'm already sick of the word family and I haven't even started

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bridge of Spies is a fantastic recent Spielberg film, penned by the Coen Brothers and starring Tom Hanks. It baffles me that it got overlooked, even in film buff circles.

Ready Player One was pretty bad and The Post was mediocre, true. But I think this latest era of Spielberg's career has been on par with his others. He has a few duds alongside his masterpieces in every phase of his career, he just gets less attention for his best films these days.

I'm down for The Fabelmans. If any director has earned a mythologized auto-biography, it's him. And any tone except schmaltz wouldn't really be appropriate for a film about Spielberg as a storyteller.

ALFbrot posted:

She's in two horror series this year, but prior to that her last horror film was in 2011? And prior to that, there were just the two Ring movies, Mulholland Drive, and Funny Games. Very prominent horror films for sure, but all more than a decade ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually kinda like the way PKD's cynical weirdness butts up against Spielberg's populism. It's similar to the clashing tones in AI, but it works better in Minority Report IMO.

I do wish they had kept the originally scripted title card at the end about the murder rate shooting back up once they stopped using the precogs

I actually don't think Spielberg gets PKD, which is why he treats the surface of everything in MR with such a pious sincerety.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Spielberg's populism

There's a lot to unpack, here, especially for a director as commercially tethered as he is. At best calling his style 'populist' would require a definition of the term that has no actual political substance, while in fact many of his films have a quiet reactionary angle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

kiimo posted:

The Fabelmans looks good and I'm not just saying that because I'm at Universal now. I understand though that goons are dead inside and will probably call it schmaltzy

I saw it at TIFF and it's both schmaltzy and very good. There's nothing in it that's remotely challenging or offensive, it's just Spielberg making a very safe and exceptionally well crafted fantasy version of his childhood where you never wonder of things are going to work out for his character or not because he's Steven Spielberg. It is as close to technically perfect as a movie can be and has Michelle Williams giving a performance of the year candidate.

Cynically, I think it's a Steven Spielberg movie about filmmaking and the power of film that was created in a lab to win Oscars. But when it does, no one will be able to say it's undeserving of them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

by the way I have gone my entire life without watching Fast and the Furious and was content to go the rest of my life without doing so.

and now I have to watch all loving ten of them. I'm already sick of the word family and I haven't even started

:lol::lol: :rip: that's rough I'm so sorry

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

I'll bring the popcorn.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Reading the original Minority Report short story and the bad guys were far-right military extremists trying to pull off a coup lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if the whole familyfamilyFAMILY thing even was a thing in the F&F series until Five anyway. The 2nd and 3rd are definitely not about that. I always struggle to remember the 4th one.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

1. Mediocre Point Break wannabe.
2. Low-budget DTV spinoff that somehow got numbered with a theatrical release.
3. Too much CG instead of real stunts, but introduced Han, which will pay off later.
4. Vin Diesel returns, the rest is impossible to remember.
5. Wait, these movies are good now?!?! Rad bank heist with great practical stunts and the cast takes a more charismatic Oceans 11 twist.
6. Now it's Mission Impossible with cars! My favorite of the franchise.
7. Wow a third good movie. James Wan's action chops are even better than Justin Lin's. More or less FF6 part 2. I guess this is actually just a great action franchise now.
8. Wait, nope. It sucks again.
9. Maybe bringing back Justin Lin can save it? Nope, it went over the brink of cringy self-aware absurdity in 8 and there's no saving it.

In summary, 5, 6, and 7 make a good little stand-alone trilogy. They don't require prior knowledge of the series and even end on a good final note. I'm sorry you have to suffer through the other 6 films, which range from mediocre to awful.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What about Hobbs and Shaw?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Vandar posted:

Watch the trailers, you’ll get all the enjoyable parts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They really should have shut it down after Paul Walker died.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every single Fast and Furious entry has something to love in it, but Tokyo Drift is where it's at. :getin:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vandar posted:

I managed to forget it until you reminded me. God that movie is such a slog.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think I only really enjoyed 5 and 6, the rest are forgettable

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There are so many individual threads of Spielberg's early life that he's weaved throughout so many of his films that The Fabelmans feels like it's a natural sort of thing to finally tackle at a time when he's coming closer to the end of his life (dude is 75!), and making something personal in scope like this is harder and harder to do every year (and given his previous statements on streaming services, he clearly has negative interest in approaching a Netflix or Amazon to see if they'll back it).

I mean I'm going to see it if only just because there is no better "I would have never thought of that but that is perfect" casting than David Lynch as John Ford.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Cameo posted:

I mean I'm going to see it if only just because there is no better "I would have never thought of that but that is perfect" casting than David Lynch as John Ford.

Welp guess I'm now gonna see The Fabelmans

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Cameo posted:

It's the highlight of the film for me. Also username/post combo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I'm sorry, that's a really funny onboarding process to me.

"Alright, so you've filled out your W-2, taken your drug test. All that's left is to watch all the F&F movies."
"I'm sorry what?"
Vin Diesel walks in. "You heard the man. Welcome to the family."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kiimo be sure to take a drink every time they say family.