Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe someday Kurogane's LNs will get translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The best part is where the girl with plot powers tries to analyze him, and then promptly gets the worst mental backlash imaginable and tries to peace out as hard as possible despite being incredibly smug about her abilities up to that point. He is not just death, he is finality of a plot!

Not just peace out, new chapter shows she placed out so hard she hid in a subspace in reality where she sits in the fetal position and refuses to do anything, and hides from everyone because she's so objectively defeated and terrified of what she saw wasn't just death, but instead the omega, finality and the end of existence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Legally unwholesome isekai report!

https://mangadex.org/title/7f7d765f-3d87-41f9-908e-460b96449481/resetting-lady

Resetting Lady. A girl reincarnates as the protagonist of a novel with an otome game-like story. You know the drill, where she's supposed to steal the villainess's fiance and live happily ever after. But after living through the story as it was supposed to go, she's murdered the very next day after the book's ending, and resets to one year ago. Then she lives out that same year over a hundred times, Groundhog's Day style, always getting murdered after one year no matter what she does, and by different people depending on her choices. So in this latest loop she decides to break the story entirely by killing literally everyone, one at a time. I mean, it can't get any worse, right? So, yeah, an otome isekai about a serial killer.

Honestly I might even describe it as wholesome by isekai standards, but one character gets called a g*psy by the villainess, and given the circumstances I can't tell if that's the writer being racist or just the character. I just thought it worth mentioning.

Anyway, one thing that's especially interesting to me about it is that it spends a lot of time from the villainess's perspective, and while she's definitely an rear end in a top hat she's also being kind of... gaslit? By the murders. And it's sort of fascinating to see her slowly break down and in the process become almost more sympathetic than the actual heroine. Even though she's still an rear end in a top hat.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually kinda close to a premise I want to see in an isekai someday: person reincarnates and, going past murder spree, attempts to unmake the entire reality they're in because they find the concept of living a feel-good lie of any kind in a literal fictional world utterly appalling.

What I'm saying is I'm still real sad the "kill isekai" isekai got shitcanned.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Been following that and the interesting thing is that it's not a clear cut story about a serial killer. There's the question of whether the writer, God, or a character is going behind her to undo her murders and smooth over reality. When she kills her personal maid and leaves her head behind it's gone a while later but the spoiled chick who saw it remembers the scene. The blood was gone too off her dress if I recall. So is our MC just plain crazy and snapping under the weight of a centuries worth of anxiety and suffering, or is something else going on?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, that's also interesting, I just didn't want to give too much away in a little blurb. The open question of how much the world is self-correcting, or if other people are doing it on purpose, etc etc.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Tree Reformat posted:

That's actually kinda close to a premise I want to see in an isekai someday: person reincarnates and, going past murder spree, attempts to unmake the entire reality they're in because they find the concept of living a feel-good lie of any kind in a literal fictional world utterly appalling.

What I'm saying is I'm still real sad the "kill isekai" isekai got shitcanned.

That's kind of the plot of the game Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was that goblin/orc village manga where they're fighting a kingdom? One of the latest chapters was him summoning a meteor via earth magic.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

What was that goblin/orc village manga where they're fighting a kingdom? One of the latest chapters was him summoning a meteor via earth magic.

Is it "Suterareta Tensei Kenja"? English title is "The Abandoned Reincarnation Sage".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

firrup posted:

Is it "Suterareta Tensei Kenja"? English title is "The Abandoned Reincarnation Sage".

Yes! That's it but unfortunately, it still hasn't had an update recently.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RareAcumen posted:

Yes! That's it but unfortunately, it still hasn't had an update recently.

It got axed a few months ago. There's a few chapters left but no one competent translated it yet.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Rudoku posted:

It got axed a few months ago. There's a few chapters left but no one competent translated it yet.

It's probably for the best. That format tends to fizzle out if you let it go on for long enough. There's only so many times you can profitably digivolve your main character's sister before it becomes boring.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I was trawling mangadex and found this completed manhua that people here might like. Not an isekai, but its an ugly, juvenile, stupid, power fantasy about getting revenge on your high school bullies and I don’t know any other thread where people might appreciate this trash

https://mangadex.org/title/38dc5832-4714-4467-9c7e-fc9689fb149c/rooftop-sword-master

I’ve also found some other actually interesting isekai that haven’t been posted before i think, but I want to effortpost those a bit, and some of them actually belong in the wholesome thread

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its a super trashy revenge manhua and part of the authors extended universe.

Worthless waste of time imho

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Sounds like https://mangadex.org/title/00446151-d199-45d6-8671-821db1151e6c/juujika-no-rokunin which is about a guy who kills all of his school bullies.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Aren't there like hundreds of these things? Mostly Chinese or Korean.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thousands

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think one of those guys made a Yakuza game too

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
So it looks like Omniscient reader has finally reached the introduction of the comically evil Japanese as is mandatory for all Korean isekai.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The junk collector posted:

So it looks like Omniscient reader has finally reached the introduction of the comically evil Japanese as is mandatory for all Korean isekai.

Hey sometimes it's comically evil Chinese instead.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The junk collector posted:

It's hardly their fault that the universal asian experience is getting invaded by the Japanese.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
According to the translator's notes a revised version of Reader was published that changes this arc quite a bit specifically to make the Japanese teams less universally evil and the comic is going to be following that version

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/...ng_with_is_ch01

This nonsense with an absurdly long title just dropped. Horny isekai fangirl gets isekai'd, but the world does not match her expectations. It's got one of the best orcs in manga.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Schubalts posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/...ng_with_is_ch01

This nonsense with an absurdly long title just dropped. Horny isekai fangirl gets isekai'd, but the world does not match her expectations. It's got one of the best orcs in manga.

I couldn't even finish reading the title.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The painful title is part of the point. The whole thing is taking the piss at the dregs of the genre, stupidly long titles and all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Title aside, it's pretty funny.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s okay. There really isn’t much to it beyond “I’m horny. I want a slave. Oh no, I’m the slave! I’m horny”

I chuckled a bit at the beginning but I don’t really think it’ll have much legs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure one day someone will draw the isekai diss track that people desperately want

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think that death isekai where the MC just instakills every sociopathic isekai protag that comes his way is a pretty decent sendup

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I think that death isekai where the MC just instakills every sociopathic isekai protag that comes his way is a pretty decent sendup

There was that one about killing Isekai protagonists that got immediately poo poo canned for directly utilizing extremely thinly veiled versions of all the popular Isekai protagonists.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Isekai Shikkaku is pretty good. Osamu Dazai parody suicidal author gets isekai'd, gains the power to send all the other isekai protags the world is infested with back to their original lives

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
But only after figuring out their story, which takes precious time when many of these isekai people are shitheads actively causing harm.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kyte posted:

But only after figuring out their story, which takes precious time when many of these isekai people are shitheads actively causing harm.
I suspect the end game will be a mass deportation power but for the moment it's one at a time and that gives us some insight to the majority of the people sent back who got the much needed life lessons on how to improve their normal lives that Isekai as a whole lacks given the lack of interest writers have for sending people home. I actually really like that Sensei's power also averts accidents that otherwise make a return trip impossible in Isekai. Also gently caress the Gluttony dude, I'm glad he was not given a redemption and instead was given a swift end

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I completely forgot who was the gluttony dude.
e: oh the guy in tama's arc. he really was such a lame guy.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 30, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kyte posted:

I completely forgot who was the gluttony dude.

Imagine Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist but not a homunculus, instead he just decided to be that way because life was too easy as a rich failson insulated from all problems.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter of Endo and Koboyashi's Commentary on the Villainess just dropped, and I love how this series plays with your expectations.

oh, the villainess is cursed by an evil witch, and she is doomed and must be saved by the prince and heroine? how about she has her own agency, and tells that curse to gently caress off because it's super obvious it's just spouting generic gaslighting rather than knowing anything about what it's talking about? :allears: love it

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
An Active Hunter in Hokkaido got another update, though it's mostly gun-stuff (and one cute panel of the Goddess)

And now for something new:

I Became the Tyrant of a Defense Game. Standard isekai setup, MC beats a completely unfair tower defense / rpg game and is rewarded by being transported into it as the shittiest character.

Somewhat notable in that it starts out by emphasizing the value of the lives that are going to be lost, and the MC realizing that he's not going to be able to win the normal way by just callously sacrificing units to reach objectives. Does still contain some of the usual cycle of the MC scheming / MC gets hosed over that I've come to expect from these kinds of manhwas.

The Creation Alchemist Enjoys Freedom -If I Am Exiled From My Hometown, I Can Make Magic Items With Transcendent Effects at the Knees of the Demon Lord

This one is isekai-adjacent (the otherworlders have already come and left), but as the title says the MC gets kicked out of his home country and sent to the demon realm, but going there fully awakens his OP alchemy powers.

While not particularly deep, I do enjoy that the main gimmick is the MC crafting stuff out of what is essentially a skymall catalog because surely the otherworld artifacts must be amazing (and they are when you're an OP main character).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

The Creation Alchemist Enjoys Freedom -If I Am Exiled From My Hometown, I Can Make Magic Items With Transcendent Effects at the Knees of the Demon Lord

This one is isekai-adjacent (the otherworlders have already come and left), but as the title says the MC gets kicked out of his home country and sent to the demon realm, but going there fully awakens his OP alchemy powers.

While not particularly deep, I do enjoy that the main gimmick is the MC crafting stuff out of what is essentially a skymall catalog because surely the otherworld artifacts must be amazing (and they are when you're an OP main character).

Thank you for this one, it's been really great :allears:

Nemo2342 posted:

I Became the Tyrant of a Defense Game. Standard isekai setup, MC beats a completely unfair tower defense / rpg game and is rewarded by being transported into it as the shittiest character.

Somewhat notable in that it starts out by emphasizing the value of the lives that are going to be lost, and the MC realizing that he's not going to be able to win the normal way by just callously sacrificing units to reach objectives. Does still contain some of the usual cycle of the MC scheming / MC gets hosed over that I've come to expect from these kinds of manhwas.

I'll give this one a go next, I've been reluctant to try new manhwas recently cause the last few I tried to start have been super mid.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i was reading through modern villainess: its not easy buidling a corporate empire before the crash, which is about an alt-universe japan where the MC is a Nice Billionaire using her fortune and future knowlege to basically do a private sector bailout of the japanese economy during the lost decade. it was ok, heavy focus on business/politics of 90s japan which is a change of pace. then volume 2 drops this banger when she goes to america:

quote:

“The homeless veteran problem—I wanted to hear your proposed solution.”

“Finding them jobs isn’t the hard part. The hard part is finding them jobs they’re capable of.”

“Which brings us to your gated community idea. Feels like something out of a bad sci-fi movie.”

The homeless veteran problem was a quiet, long-term problem in America. It had started after the Vietnam War and persisted with the Gulf War, and the American government had yet to find an effective solution. My proposal was a gated community—or, rather, a fortified city.

The plan was to dig out a dry moat around the land I’d purchased, pile up earth at a steep angle, and set a concrete wall topped with barbed wire on top of that. The moat and embankment could be used to quickly drain the town in case of flooding, and they also prevented water getting in. Dotting trees around the place would prevent sniping and improve the town’s environment and views.

All the roads in the gated community counted as private land, so if any African-Americans or Hispanics tried to enter, I could have them arrested for trespassing, or for trying to enter without a resident permit.

I would collect money to pay for the security via a monthly “toll” from the residents. Later on, I would sell some of the land, get rich, and have my own house built there.

:catstare:

dunno why the author thought having the "good guy" MC build a racially-segregated fortress city for rich people guarded by military vets was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm going to guess the author thinks that's good. To be honest, I am not even slightly surprised that someone who wants to write a story about nice billionaires saving society from itself is a racist libertarian?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 25, 2022