Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

a_pineapple posted:

excuse me, drivers, would you mind, slowing down, pretty please
. . 😔
👉 👈

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

a_pineapple posted:

. . 😔
👉 👈

ok

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a_pineapple posted:

. . 😔
👉 👈

maybe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76l55QX-V-Y

I wanted to post this because it really shows why transit in both LA and the US as a whole is such a mess.

The new K line starts with a subway essentially for several stations, then goes above-ground…fine, and afterward starts going through multiple intersections where it doesn’t even took like the train has full signal priority.

So you build this entire project which cost 2b+, has a decent underground section, then immediately knee cap it by not even allowing uninterrupted transit across its route. LA has massive transportation issues and it is clearly affecting the growth of the city, but status matters far more than efficiency.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Sep 30, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

a_pineapple posted:

. . 😔
👉 👈

they'll slow down for accidents, maybe we can just put fiery wrecks on every corner as a traffic calming measure

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they'll slow down for accidents, maybe we can just put fiery wrecks on every corner as a traffic calming measure

Drivers are way ahead of you on that one

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76l55QX-V-Y

I wanted to post to is because it really shows why both transit in LA and the US as a whole is such a mess.

The new K line starts with a subway essentially for several stations, then goes above-ground…fine, and afterward starts going through multiple intersections where it doesn’t even took like the train has full signal priority.

So you build this entire project which cost 2b+, has a decent underground section, then immediately knee cap it by not even allowing uninterrupted transit across its route.

Seattle has a couple of idiotic sections of the light rail that are at grade on road and every month or so some loving moron just takes a right turn or left turn illegally into it and gets absolutely creamed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

a_pineapple posted:

. . 😔
👉 👈

WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine having to enforce traffic laws without the ability to kill.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

hahaha jesus christ, the reason why DC opposes switching traffic enforcement to a department of transportation responsibility instead of the cops

drivers are psychopaths
The real reason is traffic enforcement is the majority of what cops do. The second reason is then that means another department can write cops tickets. Houston moved parking enforcement from the cops to its own department. Unsurprisingly the police vehicles receive more parking citations than anyone else by a huge margin (67% of city vehicle parking tickets).

Honestly if a driver is being crazy violent, just let them go. Then show up to their home later and tow their car and crush it into a small cube. Banks snatch people's cars all the time.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

while people were out there cleaning up the station and assessing the new damage, some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the people at the bikeshare station.

I don't think they're putting it back in.

PittTheElder posted:

Needs more bollards
At this point, those bollards need to be upgraded to some Czech hedgehogs.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Sep 30, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The real reason is traffic enforcement is the majority of what cops do.

haha, not here! our cops have pretty much stopped all traffic-related enforcement. which, you know, good... but no one else is doing it instead

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

someone on a chat channel was telling me they never had to get any work at all done on their EV. I asked "not even brake pads or tires?", and they told me they're just replacing the car before it ever needs new tires

and they're saving the environment

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blockade posted:

someone on a chat channel was telling me they never had to get any work at all done on their EV. I asked "not even brake pads or tires?", and they told me they're just replacing the car before it ever needs new tires

extreme rob rhinehart soylent-guy energy who was saving the environment by never washing clothes and buying new ones off alibaba when they got dirty

speaking of which, what is that freak up to these days? the ~tech~ microdosing lsd poly-phasic sleeping biohacking era seems like it was so long ago and a weird distant fever dream at this point

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

haha, not here! our cops have pretty much stopped all traffic-related enforcement. which, you know, good... but no one else is doing it instead

it's not even so much that cops "do traffic enforcement" it's that they like having the excuse to pull people over for unprovable alleged traffic offenses and then gently caress with them/ruin their lives/murder them and if you take traffic enforcement away from cops then they have to think of another excuse

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cops definitely exaggerate how dangerous traffic stops are. I've had cops flank my car with flashlights and sniff my soda for alcohol during routine traffic stops (first was because I forgot to renew my registration. Second was because my tail light had gone out). One time I was donating clothes at goodwill and a cop accused me of living out of my car.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Blockade posted:

A cop got shot during a routine traffic stop here back in 2005. The State Police responded by getting the highway named after the cop who got shot and resolving to never pull anyone over ever again on that highway. You can do 120 mph out to the airport if you want. The cops will come scrape you up once you crash, or scrape up the victims of your negligence, but they will never pull you over for driving like Richard Petty.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A cop got shot during a routine traffic stop here back in 2005. The State Police responded by getting the highway named after the cop who got shot and resolving to never pull anyone over ever again on that highway. You can do 120 mph out to the airport if you want. The cops will come scrape you up once you crash, or scrape up the victims of your negligence, but they will never pull you over for driving like Richard Petty.
It's amazing how cops love to beat up and kill people who can't fight back but the second there may be even the slightest threat to their own safety they run away as quickly as humanly possible

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

traffic enforcement should be done by cameras, just mail tickets to people who speed and if they get too many tickets revoke their license and boot their car. simple as.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this is not a carceral solution because that would require incarceration. the bad drivers can be free, they just cant drive anymore. thems the breaks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

this is not a carceral solution because that would require incarceration. the bad drivers can be free, they just cant drive anymore. thems the breaks.

have you considered that not having a car is like prison? no I don't want to do anything to change that either

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mystes posted:

It's amazing how cops love to beat up and kill people who can't fight back but the second there may be even the slightest threat to their own safety they run away as quickly as humanly possible

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Blockade posted:

I will forever maintain that my je my friend's Jetta is one of the most eco-friendly cars, simply because it is a salvage title that someone wrecked at 4,000 miles and he bought from one of those dealers that just buys wrecked jettas and fixes the ones that are worth it. Sure, going to die instantly in any wreck because if the frame wasn't wrecked by the crash then the little damage it probably has is going to be eaten through by the salt in winter. Plus it's a jetta on the road with trucks and poo poo, but still. Green. Ish.

Ban all cars tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1575837265359609856

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/justcurious1313/status/1575661610147860481

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/1575714599575654400?s=20&t=YQgXRUEqGmVeeTfuZZ6AzA

Destroy cars.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deploy a bollard in the bike lane.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah that is solved by literally one bollard

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a car in every garage, a bollard in every driveway

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Crossposting!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Got out to a memorial ride this evening for a cyclist murdered by a hit-and-run driver at the West Seattle low bridge this summer. Was neat, had at least a hundred folks of all ages on bikes on a relatively easy route.

Then, of course, during the short 5 minutes in which the widow tried to give a commemoration of the life of her husband to the crowd assembled on the side of the road, three completely unrelated drivers—in a muscle car, an SUV, and a lifted truck—angrily laid on their horns and screeched at us out their windows.

gently caress cars; gently caress drivers.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Blockade posted:

reading this has made me indescribably angry, do people do this because the idea of getting a car serviced is just too scary or something? I can't even fathom this thought process. The absolute apex of bourgeois liberalism.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

reading this has made me indescribably angry, do people do this because the idea of getting a car serviced is just too scary or something? I can't even fathom this thought process. The absolute apex of bourgeois liberalism.

There's a huge group of people that just view cars as appliances to be handled by the dealer and then immediately traded in for a new one the moment it starts getting icky. Lots of people just lease cars for a year or two and get rid of them because of this. There's very little service required anyway if you stick to that cycle.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's a huge group of people that just view cars as appliances to be handled by the dealer and then immediately traded in for a new one the moment it starts getting icky. Lots of people just lease cars for a year or two and get rid of them because of this. There's very little service required anyway if you stick to that cycle.

i know people do it, I just can't get into the mindset of someone who does, even if you only view a car as a means of getting from point A to point B wouldn't you want to keep your appliance running?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

If a car can fit in a bike lane the bike lane is too wide. Like shrink the bike lane 6 inches and make the curb juuuust high enough that it would make driving in them extremely bad for a car. Or yeah just put a single bollard at the entry/exit of the bike lane near the intersections this is not hard like how much money are DOTs spending on implementing and replacing these lovely solutions when they could just do it right in the first place SHEESH like honestly I don't even need the green paint or antyhing like that just gimme da bollards

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wider bike lanes are better and too many bollards can be dangerous for cyclists so I'm not totally convinced that changing bike lanes to ensure cars definitely can't get in them is necessarily always the right solution. They really just need to make parking in bike lanes a $300 fine and driving in them that plus license suspension, and enforce it really strictly.

Of course good luck with that in places where cops do traffic enforcement.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Oct 1, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh quote is not edit

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah the childish naivety about how laws get enforced in this thread is overwhelming at times. They passed a law here that said you have to give cyclists 3 feet of space when passing and the sheriff held a press conference where he said that the law was stupid and he personally didn't like it and it's unenforceable so 10 years later there have been zero tickets written.

When you talk about how things ought to be a certain way what you're actually saying is that you're begging a bunch of right wing cops to make the world the way you think it ought to be.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Oct 1, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol, imagine electing sheriffs.

Real countries simply promote police chiefs internally so that loyal lifetime public servants arbitrarily decide not to enforce any traffic laws.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah the childish naivety about how laws get enforced in this thread is overwhelming at times. They passed a law here that said you have to give cyclists 3 feet of space when passing and the sheriff held a press conference where he said that the law was stupid and he personally didn't like it and it's unenforceable so 10 years later there have been zero tickets written.

When you talk about how things ought to be a certain way what you're actually saying is that you're begging a bunch of right wing cops to make the world the way you think it ought to be.

Cops suck, but I don't see how making a bunch of changes to bike lanes that restrict whole classes of users like cargo bikes and three wheeled bikes while also making them less pleasand and more dangerous to use really helps us either. If spiting drivers is the only real goal, let's just fence off the entire lane and then stay home and do zwift rides?

Bike lanes are real things in the real world now. That means we're stuck dealing with the hard questions like the police. There's no avoiding it without giving up on the whole project.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

several people have said to me they bought their brand new car because the old one was "about to start generating big bills". yeah, your 8 year old toyota avensis was about to generate a £35,000 bill, very savvy to buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I had to sit in a lot of traffic today and I hated it. but I did let a bunch of people merge which made me feel good