Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

someone's been reading the thread

reveal yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bush did this page

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

bush did this page

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

bush did this page

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"You're saying the situation's dire."
"Not exactly. Your house is burning to the ground, the situation's dire. Your house has already burned to the ground... the situation's over."

Probably my favorite part of a consistently excellent clip. Honestly, people poo poo on The Newsroom, deservedly so, but in 4 minutes this is still better climate change media than Don't Look Up (and I like DLU!). A real standout gem, bizarrely so, completely spot on from start to finish. How did this get written, much less aired?

And it still just makes me laugh. Completely jokerfied.

"That would have been great" still cracks me up

schmug
May 20, 2007

shitfuckery

schmug
May 20, 2007

shitfuckton

schmug
May 20, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

"That would have been great" still cracks me up

...twenty years ago lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"You're saying the situation's dire."
"Not exactly. Your house is burning to the ground, the situation's dire. Your house has already burned to the ground... the situation's over."

Probably my favorite part of a consistently excellent clip. Honestly, people poo poo on The Newsroom, deservedly so, but in 4 minutes this is still better climate change media than Don't Look Up (and I like DLU!). A real standout gem, bizarrely so, completely spot on from start to finish. How did this get written, much less aired?

And it still just makes me laugh. Completely jokerfied.

It was written because in the context of the show this guy was a wrong idiot to be mocked

Entertainment Weekly Recap

quote:

–Newsroom executive producer Paul Lieberstein, in the role of EPA deputy assistant administrator Richard Westbrook (the guy who gave Maggie the exclusive interview on the train last week), takes what could have been a completely forgettable subplot and runs with it. His EPA report on how “the world is coming to an end” has landed on News Night‘s schedule thanks to Maggie, but the associate producer’s glee is short-lived when Westbrook’s on-air appearance devolves into the ramblings of a doomsday kook

I think all of the horrified reactions aren't realization they are just annoyance and the bit accidentally hits home almost a decade later.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

schmug posted:

shitfuckery

I'm impressed how it translated to Portuguese.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

bush did this page

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The page is a joke

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It was written because in the context of the show this guy was a wrong idiot to be mocked

Entertainment Weekly Recap

I think all of the horrified reactions aren't realization they are just annoyance and the bit accidentally hits home almost a decade later.

Of loving course lmfao
Learning this has increased my joy of this scene immensely

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I thought this was animated for a second but it turns out I'm just the right combination of sleep deprived and stoned to be having mild additive hallucinations. Nice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I thought this was animated for a second but it turns out I'm just the right combination of sleep deprived and stoned to be having mild additive hallucinations. Nice.

your monitor is just bad probably

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I tried reading a recap of that episode apparently it’s about some government poo poo that got leaked saying the environment is hosed but the show cares about the leak and it’s all about the leak and the interview is about the content and that shrug is basically summing everything up who cares let’s get back to the drama about decorum.

the reviewer thought everything besides the interview was dull as heck and wondered why there wasn’t more focus on the things the scientist was saying.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Like the takeaway from the article about flaring really shouldn't be "well we better make our flares more efficient" but instead "this is yet more proof the natural gas and oil systems must be mostly shut down and the sooner the better."

Instead we'll have some public grants where we give away $400M from the public to private companies to install $2M worth of enhanced flares, all while furthering the longevity of the oil and gas infrastructure.

you are insufficiently cynical

they'll also say that this saved the equivalent emissions of x million gas burning cars so now we can relax and push back any goals on that for a bit

rinse and repeat for a few different things and they'll be able to keep up the accounting to continue business as usual but now all our accountants say that emissions are negative so why so gloomy doomy it isn't our fault the account books say so

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

blizzard needs to die because i can't play original version starcraft anymore

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

Star craft remastered is extremely good and cool.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

really hope the sequel is them just dropping asteroids on the planet from orbit and strip mining it

just factorio but with blue catboy skeletons everywhere

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

its 6 gigs of wasted space that does nothing to improve the game

it doesn't even fix pathing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

It plays on modern windows and has 4k textures. Nothing else needs to be improved. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Armadillo Tank posted:

agreed. :hmmyes:

FlapYoJacks posted:

oh yeah I forgot that exists. does it support custom game modes like the original?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kater posted:

Why is poo poo always phrased like this?

Because even carbrains hate cars, they just won't admit it to themselves.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because even carbrains hate cars, they just won't admit it to themselves.

we murdered the earth for something that deep down everyone hates anyway

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Armadillo Tank posted:

Does not fix pathing but I'll forgive that for the improved sparklies when you blow up Protoss.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
It was a perfectly admissible argument that Howard Beale advanced in the days that followed. It was, however, also a very depressing one. Nobody particularly cared to hear his life was utterly valueless.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You must construct additional carbon capture facilities

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

arctic ice forums are down :(

those people must be fully unhinged by now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CODChimera posted:

it’s working.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CODChimera posted:

I wonder if they have frequent meltdowns, end up getting thinner as they face increasing stress, and often break down and find themselves in pieces

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

You must construct additional carbon capture facilities

we need more icelands for that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Europe’s Heat Waves Offer a Grim Vision of the Future

quote:

With land temperatures in Europe projected to increase by at least another 1.2 to 3.4 degrees Celsius by the last few decades of this century, heat waves and wildfires like the ones that have broiled Europe this year will eventually become commonplace and affect more land area. Drought, too, will become more frequent. Temperatures during future heat waves could hit 50 degrees Celsius or higher, particularly in the Mediterranean, where the influence of hot air from Africa is strongest,[/.quote]

[quote]The double hit of drought and heat waves will cause up to a 50 percent drop in crop yields in Southern Europe by 2050 and might even force farmers to abandon agriculture altogether, even as yields in parts of Northern Europe increase

quote:

Heat waves are caused by several complex and often interacting factors, including changes to currents high in the atmosphere and in the ocean, soil moisture, and overall temperature trends. But a study published this summer shed new light on one of these factors: atmospheric currents. Recent heat waves in Europe have coincided with periods when the jet stream that moves across the Atlantic split in two, resulting in weaker winds that allow heat waves to form, the study found.

[...]

“Before, a double jet used to last a few days—now it lasts up to one month.”

quote:

“There’s no upper limit” on just how bad things can get, he says.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pipeline sabotage is supposedly the largest man-made methane release ever, so that's cool. I guess they don't count all the other sources as "man-made" despite humans causing them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stereotype posted:

we murdered the earth for something that deep down everyone hates anyway

If it's any consolation, humans hate humans more than anything, which is why they won't save them

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

bomb the clathrates next imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Fly Molo posted:

agreed. :hmmyes:

oh yeah I forgot that exists. does it support custom game modes like the original?

yes, and they generally work well. i don't think there were any underlying code changes, unlike war3 where they did make some minor ones (that broke most custom maps). when SC remastered came out, i had zero issue playing dozens of classic UMSes with friends. starcraft remaster was great.