Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Finally got a bottle of ama iro. It looks so nice while still drying so fast, so I'm definitely going to have to pick up some other Iroshizuku inks when the time comes. My problem now is I need more pens so I can switch inks on the fly while taking notes. I could grab more sale Preppys from the bookstore but some variety would be nice, although I don't think anyone else around here is going to have pens that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Two words friend, Shark Pens

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Hello thread! I need a recommendation for a mid-tier pen that gives the thinnest possible line that’s still smooth and nice to use. My only current pen is a lamy 2000 broad so I’d rather not just get the exact same again unless they’re the super best somehow.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Same Great Paste posted:

Hello thread! I need a recommendation for a mid-tier pen that gives the thinnest possible line that’s still smooth and nice to use. My only current pen is a lamy 2000 broad so I’d rather not just get the exact same again unless they’re the super best somehow.

TWSBI ECO EF

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

TWSBI ECO EF

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Same Great Paste posted:

Preppy EF

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Prera EF.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
By mid-tier do you mean low-ish gold price, like the Lamy you have? Or around the price point of, say, a TWSBI 580?

While I tend to avoid finer nibs, ime Pilot makes very smooth (a bit too smooth for me) nibs that often tend towards finer nibs in a given size. Their modern gold nib pens may be a good option for you if you’re looking at that price point. Of those, I’d be careful about the elite, as it can run a bit large. The Vanishing Points tend to have smaller nibs IME, while the 74 and the 92 have standard eastern nib sizing.

If you’re looking for cheaper options, while I don’t have much experience with fines in the TWSBI 580 range, there are surprisingly nice Pilot 3A EF vintage pens on eBay for <$20.

In terms of nib sizing: the Lamy 2000 broad is fairly smooth. I know it’s your only pen right now, but do you have any experience with smaller/rougher nibs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

After pics (this guy took two weeks to get back to me about the repair)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions but I clearly phrased it wrong. I was asking around non-luxury gold tips, yes. My bad.

NiftyBottle posted:

By mid-tier do you mean low-ish gold price, like the Lamy you have? Or around the price point of, say, a TWSBI 580?

While I tend to avoid finer nibs, ime Pilot makes very smooth (a bit too smooth for me) nibs that often tend towards finer nibs in a given size. Their modern gold nib pens may be a good option for you if you’re looking at that price point. Of those, I’d be careful about the elite, as it can run a bit large. The Vanishing Points tend to have smaller nibs IME, while the 74 and the 92 have standard eastern nib sizing.

If you’re looking for cheaper options, while I don’t have much experience with fines in the TWSBI 580 range, there are surprisingly nice Pilot 3A EF vintage pens on eBay for <$20.

In terms of nib sizing: the Lamy 2000 broad is fairly smooth. I know it’s your only pen right now, but do you have any experience with smaller/rougher nibs?

Thanks for the suggestion about Pilot!

Yes I’ve worked my way up through disposables and Safaris of all sizes. I love the smoothness of the 2000, it’s the only one I still use. Hoping to find the best EF counterpart.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sb hermit posted:

How are you refilling it? Do you have a piston or is it just a cartridge and a syringe?

I have the latter and I like it but all my other pens use a piston or other converter.

I’m not at home, but they take carts and any Pilot converter except the con-70. You can remove the actual “pen” part of it and just dunk that and wipe clean before putting it back into the main body.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kerbtree posted:

I’m not at home, but they take carts and any Pilot converter except the con-70. You can remove the actual “pen” part of it and just dunk that and wipe clean before putting it back into the main body.

Thanks! Maybe I should give it a shot.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Two words friend, Shark Pens

Those look so cute! Unfortunately I'm in Canada so shipping is a killer unless I'm ordering from Wonderpens, although I haven't done an online pen order since I first got my very first Metropolitan so maybe there's other online shops in the country now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Those look so cute! Unfortunately I'm in Canada so shipping is a killer unless I'm ordering from Wonderpens, although I haven't done an online pen order since I first got my very first Metropolitan so maybe there's other online shops in the country now.

You can get them off of Amazon, but you have to buy six.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get a batch of shark pens from AliExpress for like $6 I got a bunch and just give em out in the office.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

A new Jinhao X159 arrived today and I think I'm love! This is so much better than the all-metal 159. It's a nice oversized pen with about the same dimensions and styling of the Montblanc 159, but at a ridiculously low price. I think mine was $5.50 including shipping.

What makes it really cool though is that it has a steel #8 sized nib.

Even though I'm partial to wider line widths, this only comes in Fine or Extra Fine, so I got a fine. With a wet ink it runs a smidge wider, but the nib has a really pleasing bounciness and feels smooth so I'm not complaining.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve heard that cosmo air light, the paper people used to replace tomoe river when it looked like it was being discontinued, is being discontinued. I never used it myself. Was it any good?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’ve heard that cosmo air light, the paper people used to replace tomoe river when it looked like it was being discontinued, is being discontinued. I never used it myself. Was it any good?

Yup: https://musu.bi/stories/2022-09-cosmo-air-light-is-being-discontinued

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How the semester started vs. how it's currently going

I have a problem

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a problem

good choice of ink and pens, not sure what the problem is :confused:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a problem

Yeah, it sucks having duplicate colors of pens. You should probably get more

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a problem
Pfft, call us when you already have more ink than you can use in a lifetime and a cart with three more bottles in it. Then we will be able to help you narrow it to two. Maybe.

Edit: As an example, I went from one Pilot Metro and one bottle of cheap blue ink to 60+ pens, a shelf full of ink bottles, and two test tube racks full of samples in about a year. And this thread has taught me that is fairly normal/tame.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've been partially buried under a large pile of Delta fountain pens for three days.

Please send help

Also please send more Deltas

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a problem

I'll mirror the rest of the comments to say that this is pretty tame in comparison to how a lot of us saw our collection grow. I used a Metropolitan and cartridges for a year before I found out about bottled ink, cartridge converters, cheap Chinese pens, expensive limited editions, and sample inks. Needless to say, although I'm not buying as much as I used to, I'm still planning out my first Cult Pens order full of Diamine Ink.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought I was being financially irresponsible getting all that in the span of a month, but I'm willing to take solace in the fact that there's people out there worse with money than me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Obviously don't know your financial situation, but its not looking like you went on a :homebrew: tear there.

Compared to a lot of us, you are a model of restraint. Carry on, friend.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You also have excellent taste, I have quite a few cheap no-name pens that I wish I'd combined the price of into something nicer

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought I was being financially irresponsible getting all that in the span of a month, but I'm willing to take solace in the fact that there's people out there worse with money than me.

speaking of grack

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Obviously don't know your financial situation, but its not looking like you went on a :homebrew: tear there.

Compared to a lot of us, you are a model of restraint. Carry on, friend.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Me in 2019: Man, my handwriting sucks. I need to do something about it, maybe I could try practicing cursive?

Me in 2022: YES…HA HA…YEEES! *greedily tears up the latest package, spilling an assortment of ink bottles, Jinhaos, Leuchtturm notebooks and bamboo dip pens all over my desk*

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The way I'm justifying it is that those studies about writing stuff down by hand vs. typing have proven absolutely true for me to help with retention and comprehension. The more pen junk I have the more motivated I am to use them and make sure I understand what's going on. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

The routine I've settled in to is having a pad of graph paper for quick note taking and in-class example problems that always end up being messy as hell, especially with a meandering professor. After class I cross reference with my readings to make sure I have all the important bits and confirm I understood everything, and put it in my notebook with clean layout and formatting and colors to hammer it home, and to have a nice reference when I get stuck on a practice exercise later. Similar to what I was doing with OneNote up until now, but I'm certainly having more fun doing it this way, even if it's much slower.

Chromatics posted:

You also have excellent taste, I have quite a few cheap no-name pens that I wish I'd combined the price of into something nicer

I found that Lamy demonstrator for $10CAD that was sitting on the local buy & sell for a few weeks and I knew I had to get it because I want to see what other nibs are like. She had a bunch of other pens for sale in the non-starter range too but I really can't be spending a hundred bucks on a pen. She was selling the Private Reserve Plum for $8, so I knew I had to grab that since it's on the list of fast dry inks. It feels smooth as hell with a wet flow using the included green cart, although I wish I could rotate the nib so my lefty grip plays nice with the angles without having to fight the triangular section. I'd love to try one with a finer nib.

It got me more curious about finer European nibs so I grabbed that Kaweco Perkeo from the local pennery with a fine nib that looked cute. I also figured I should get some proper cartridges since I not a fan of the squeeze converter my Kaweco Sport came with, and I can just reuse the carts since I have plenty of blunt syringes kicking around.

That was my Friday and Saturday apart from studying. The only thing keeping me from looking up more pen stuff is that everything's going to be closed tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I still walk by the fountain pen section of the university bookstore every other day but I don't want to risk some sketchy bad inks that weren't sealed right at the factory. They even put the bottle I returned back on the shelf, even after showing them how it was all clumpy inside and how another bottle was the same.They have Lamy inks on clearance that are hopefully fine, so if it's cheap enough I might grab one of those, although going by the supplied cart that was included with the Vista Lamy ink seems super wet.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Coxswain Balls posted:

She was selling the Private Reserve Plum for $8, so I knew I had to grab that since it's on the list of fast dry inks.

Please let us know how this writes. I'm still looking for good fast dry inks.

I know that Mountain of Inks did a review, though...

https://mountainofink.com/blog/private-reserve-plum

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Coxswain Balls posted:

And from the other posts you made it seems that you not only buy things but actually use them and that is a lot more than I can say for the bulk of my ink and pens.
Although by now a few of my more frequently used pens are writing notably smoother than pens I used very little so I guess I use the 6 or 7 pens I have in rotation often enough.

In fact, my most expensive pen, a 150EU gold nibbed sailor is the worst writer I own, I might trade it in for a gold nibbed Pilot provided the store is interested (I do not think so so my kids will sell it for 30 after I die) (or worse, it goes in the bin of one of those Hoader House buyers who then puts it on ebay) (drat, these edits make me angry, how to tell my kids to treat a gold nibbed pen I never used with some respect?)(gently caress it, I'll sell it myself, I'll take some pics and put it up here)

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2022

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

The way I'm justifying it is that those studies about writing stuff down by hand vs. typing have proven absolutely true for me to help with retention and comprehension. The more pen junk I have the more motivated I am to use them and make sure I understand what's going on. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

The routine I've settled in to is having a pad of graph paper for quick note taking and in-class example problems that always end up being messy as hell, especially with a meandering professor. After class I cross reference with my readings to make sure I have all the important bits and confirm I understood everything, and put it in my notebook with clean layout and formatting and colors to hammer it home, and to have a nice reference when I get stuck on a practice exercise later. Similar to what I was doing with OneNote up until now, but I'm certainly having more fun doing it this way, even if it's much slower.

I found that Lamy demonstrator for $10CAD that was sitting on the local buy & sell for a few weeks and I knew I had to get it because I want to see what other nibs are like. She had a bunch of other pens for sale in the non-starter range too but I really can't be spending a hundred bucks on a pen. She was selling the Private Reserve Plum for $8, so I knew I had to grab that since it's on the list of fast dry inks. It feels smooth as hell with a wet flow using the included green cart, although I wish I could rotate the nib so my lefty grip plays nice with the angles without having to fight the triangular section. I'd love to try one with a finer nib.

It got me more curious about finer European nibs so I grabbed that Kaweco Perkeo from the local pennery with a fine nib that looked cute. I also figured I should get some proper cartridges since I not a fan of the squeeze converter my Kaweco Sport came with, and I can just reuse the carts since I have plenty of blunt syringes kicking around.

That was my Friday and Saturday apart from studying. The only thing keeping me from looking up more pen stuff is that everything's going to be closed tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I still walk by the fountain pen section of the university bookstore every other day but I don't want to risk some sketchy bad inks that weren't sealed right at the factory. They even put the bottle I returned back on the shelf, even after showing them how it was all clumpy inside and how another bottle was the same.They have Lamy inks on clearance that are hopefully fine, so if it's cheap enough I might grab one of those, although going by the supplied cart that was included with the Vista Lamy ink seems super wet.

I wish I had just one pen store that was close by. I think the closest is a 5.5 hour drive away. I'm jealous that you have so many options, although I suppose my wallet is thicker because I don't have a store I could hop into to grab an on-sale pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

speaking of grack

Hey, my last three pen purchases have been funded entirely with nib repair work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Hey, my last three pen purchases have been funded entirely with nib repair work.

circle of life right there

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost
Have people had good experience with Appelboom pens? A little baffled by my current situation.

I ordered a Leonardo 14k nib a few months ago, and got the package a few days ago due to supply shortages (not Appelboom's). It's got my address and name and everything, but upon opening the package, I found a whole mess of other people's orders with mine. Like 3 labeled with receipts that aren't for me or my address, and at least two that appear to be direct to the Boston store from the NL, since they don't have receipts or names. The package came from the Boston store. Some of these appear expensive, like a 18k gold/gold Parker Sonnet nib.

I've emailed them about the predicament. Just a fluke or have others had things like this happen? Also, would I be out of line to ask for something to cover shipping costs?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Corrigenda posted:

Also, would I be out of line to ask for something to cover shipping costs?

To return their stuff to them? Of course that wouldn't be out of line.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNO9fxXFwE&t=105s
Not mentioned, Nitrogen's tendency to get everywhere. Still, an overall good list, with a couple inks I haven't tried yet: the Robert Oster and Sailor Manyo Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(lid of my coffin slides off and I sit directly up)

nitrogen bad

(lays down again)