Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Yawgmoft posted:

Got a question about the Lord of the Rings LCG: I broke out my old cards and played a few scenarios with my wife and I remembered I really like the game. I haven't bought anything for it since 2015 and I looked online and got immediately confused at the state of the game. Looks like they are publishing things still but they might be remakes of older sets? Looks like all the old sets are out of print- but are they out of print forever or are things just slow to replenish now? I've tried to find some info but I'm having trouble finding out anything more concrete than buzzwords and PR script.

I think the contents of the sets are the same; however they're doing a new model for LCG reprints where there are just two products, one of all the player cards for a cycle and one for all the scenario cards. This is in contrast with the old model where you'd get an expansion set with a bunch of player/scenario cards and six individual scenario packs after the fact.

For LotR LCG (also a favorite of mine :hfive:) I think they're starting with Angmar Awakened which is, like, halfway through the previous expansions? Maybe they thought it was altogether more polished than the old Shadows of Mirkwood or Khazad-Dum cycles which were released earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Oh I see, the whole selling model changed, no wonder I couldn't figure out what was going on. If they're the same cards just new packaging all the better, I can just ease back in as stuff gets re-released. Thanks!

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Enjoying Marvel Dice Throne so much that I've gone and ordered the battle chests for the two other seasons. £250 including shipping from the US. Could've bought all the characters separately for less in the UK but the battle chests are so nice.

gently caress me you picked a terrible week to make an expensive boardgame purchase in USD

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CaptainApathyUK posted:

gently caress me you picked a terrible week to make an expensive boardgame purchase in USD

Eh, I wouldn't sweat it too hard. I mean, it's not like it's gonna get any better any time soon.

Right? *sweats in forex*

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This looks great. I need to play with it a bit more but from what I've tried on my phone it's not pulling anything in my Collection listed as Want to Play, and only pulling games Owned.

yeah it looks like you can only include/exclude games based on BGG status if the data source is your own collection. since lists have a 1000 game max it might be a size issue.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Can you share those lists, Fate?

https://geekgroup.app/users/malloreon/lists are lists configured to generate from my collection - stuff I own with best player counts 1-9, then for different meetups. each list automatically updates monthly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Nah it was in £ and the same price it has always been.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Sorry for more Root chat, but what is this? Some crazy new Root thing or is Patrick Leder just borrowing some assets for the development of some other game?

https://twitter.com/PatrickLeder/status/1575633699369992192/photo/1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That is his Magic Realm-ish open world adventure game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yawgmoft posted:

Got a question about the Lord of the Rings LCG: I broke out my old cards and played a few scenarios with my wife and I remembered I really like the game. I haven't bought anything for it since 2015 and I looked online and got immediately confused at the state of the game. Looks like they are publishing things still but they might be remakes of older sets? Looks like all the old sets are out of print- but are they out of print forever or are things just slow to replenish now? I've tried to find some info but I'm having trouble finding out anything more concrete than buzzwords and PR script.

• The core set has been republished. It now includes sufficient copies of components and cards so that there is no reason to buy multiple. It also includes an additional campaign mode (pnp files are also available for this).
  • Two scenarios that were included the limited edition core set have been published as a standalone product. As with the revised core set there is a small campaign mode with pnp files available.
  • Four starter decks have been released. None of the cards included are new, and they are almost all drawn from expansions that are not likely to be reprinted soon (see below). They are good decks.
  • The LotR saga campaigns (previously 6 boxes) are getting combined into 3 (one per book).
  • The Angmar cycle (previously 1 deluxe box and 6 adventure packs) is being republished in two boxes: one with all of the player cards, one with all of the scenarios etc. The latter includes a campaign mode, again with pnp files available as well.
  • It is assumed that the Dreamchaser and Ered Mithrien cycles will see a similar re-release. It is unknown if any others will, or what the status of the print-on-demand packs will be.

There's less content available but the release format is much simpler and is better for newer players.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 30, 2022

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

kalthir posted:

Do you think that Inis does something differently that alleviates "bash the leader", or that it's just better in a general sense? If the former, could you expound on that?

I do think it’s the former. For a few reasons.

I think the drafting in Inis and the passing/turn order mechanics inhibits just how much you can bash the leader. There’s only so many cards in the deck that let you directly mess with someone, because of the limited card pool the leader knows exactly what you can and can’t do to them, they have the option to hate draft away some of those cards or draft things like the counter spell. On top of that they can mess with the order of their actions/passing to try to get around you. These mechanics together create an interesting puzzle to navigate around in the end turns.

I also think Inis is a shorter game than the other two and given the multiple paths to victory the natural progression of the game tends to have everyone very close to winning, which on its own mitigates the annoying munchkin-esque situation of a run away leader getting bopped down turn after turn until everyone can catch up.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Yes, to add to that I’d say the state of the game is super clear in Inis (in particular the relative positions of players) and there are opportunities to set yourself up for big swings which keep most players in the game till more or less the finish line. Of course the factions not being asymmetric helps a lot with this, as does the shorter play time as mentioned.

Inis also has an unusual and interesting approach to area competition where sometimes you want to coexist with other players pieces, and sometimes you want to eliminate them. (Giving alternative approaches to victory points) This situational pseudo co dependence is I think more interesting than the equivalents in Root, with the vagabond or otters etc. Sometimes you don’t want to bash the leader, you want to use them to springboard yourself up.

Fundamentally though the draft is a really critical handbrake on explosive player victories, players just can’t count on getting the exact cards they need in any specific turn - you have to manage it well over the whole game, and it’s exactly the kind of specific in game mechanic to manage “politics” (however defined) that Root lacks, in terms of giving every player influence over the actions available to people in the lead without necessarily denying themselves advantage either.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

I do agree that the draft is a much more interesting way of influencing how the game plays out than direct action. And a much simpler game to learn/become adept at than Root, which has a lot of advantages. Also, having a state-based instead of points-based victory condition + the pretender mechanic and having ties prevent victory allows the bashing to be put off until the last moment. However all the things I like about Inis victory conditions lead to the one thing I really dislike about it, which I'll get into below.

I would disagree that the state of the game is clearer in Inis than in Root. Game states are and paths to victory are almost public in the Root endgame (which is in itself a problem with some players), whereas in Inis it can be significantly muddied depending on the number of red cards in hands. And that brings me to my biggest gripe with Inis, or at least the way Inis is played in my groups, and that's that the endgame usually devolves into trying to be the last person to dump their red cards, so that no one has any cards left to counter your play. Do your games play out differently?

I've often wondered whether I'd find Inis more enjoyable (and don't get me wrong, I love it, it's definitely in my top 5) if I took out the red cards, but I've never gotten around to trying it out.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I can see how that might happen but no, at least in my group the red cards tend to get used pretty fast. I agree they sometimes feel like the roughest part of the game in that the person who focuses on acquiring the most of them tends to win, in my experience. The expansion may influence this, I don’t know. I’m willing to cut it a lot of slack in this respect compared with Root simply because of the shorter game time, we knock it over in less than 45 minutes typically which I think the red cards play a role in.

You’re probably right about the state of play visibility; I guess I was thinking about it from the perspective of a player unfamiliar with some of the specific factions in play.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The epic tale cards are kinda like the monsters in Cyclades: brutal for learning/teaching new players but fantastic once you know what they do and how to anticipate someone grabbing that one goddamn thing to screw everything up. Maybe I've played Cyclades way more but I also feel like the epic tales in Inis are a bit more like a scalpel when in Cyclades not only are they more generalised, but also clearly available for everyone to see and build plans around.

Also think COIN/Twilight Struggle/card driven war games kinda fall into this generally in that until you know what can happen in those decks you really are flying by the seat of your pants and if the game is short enough you don't mind learning the hard way but God help you're playing something like Here I Stand and investing a day only to get totally ravaged by an event. Unless you're like me and don't really mind it after the initial sting wears off.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 30, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Another thing with inis is that the victory margins exist on three variables instead of a single track, and that leader is much more difficult to assess, or at least the relationship between leader at a given moment and likely winner. Very small shifts in board state can cause large shifts in relative scoring. This means that "bash the leader" never eclipses the question of what I can do to become the leader.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Blamestorm posted:

I can see how that might happen but no, at least in my group the red cards tend to get used pretty fast. I agree they sometimes feel like the roughest part of the game in that the person who focuses on acquiring the most of them tends to win, in my experience. The expansion may influence this, I don’t know. I’m willing to cut it a lot of slack in this respect compared with Root simply because of the shorter game time, we knock it over in less than 45 minutes typically which I think the red cards play a role in.

You’re probably right about the state of play visibility; I guess I was thinking about it from the perspective of a player unfamiliar with some of the specific factions in play.

And if someone is going after reds with bard, they aren’t getting deeds, and deeds are a decent easy way to track who’s winning.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Inis has a good balance of epic cards, deeds, and advantage cards. I've seen games be decided by each of them separately, depending on which epics are drawn and which territories are in play. Deeds are always good, but the others keep things from becoming static and can be more powerful in the right circumstances. The expansion end game rules makes Chieftain a much more important role to fight over too, if you haven't tried it I suggest implementing it 1000%.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Games of Inis do tend to end with one player deciding which of their two rivals gets to win. And you better hope they have a decision metric for that, because I have seen a game end in a quantum state with two winners because it totally paralysed someone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

More games should use The King is Dead 1e rules where if you're in a king maker situation you just skip your turn. You can only act in the last round if it stops a win/makes you win. Then it isn't about choosing a winner but accepting that you collectively let the game get to that point.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Games of Inis do tend to end with one player deciding which of their two rivals gets to win. And you better hope they have a decision metric for that, because I have seen a game end in a quantum state with two winners because it totally paralysed someone.

The last, and, God willing, last time I played Inis, this player took literally 25 minutes on their turn to decide between preventing the player who was literally about to win if he passed the turn (me), and the other guy. It got to the point that I was trying to convince him just to pick me so we could get on with our lives.

I don't play with that group anymore.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I know its a massive turn off for some but that’s why i like Ankh’s merge mechanic, especially when people realise its legit to set themselves up for it (especially in a 4 player game where the two people in the middle have to decide if they want to be second player or third to become the superplayer). But it more or less completely dodges the kingmaker problem in practice i find.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blamestorm posted:

I know its a massive turn off for some but that’s why i like Ankh’s merge mechanic, especially when people realise its legit to set themselves up for it (especially in a 4 player game where the two people in the middle have to decide if they want to be second player or third to become the superplayer). But it more or less completely dodges the kingmaker problem in practice i find.

Ankh is so freaking good.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ankh is so freaking good.

And yet under appreciated it seems. Two of my local game stores have it and all the expansions at 40-50% off clearance.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Muir posted:

And yet under appreciated it seems. Two of my local game stores have it and all the expansions at 40-50% off clearance.

I think being a CMON game really hurt it. The minis are gorgeous, sure, but completely unnecessary, and I think a lot of people thought it was a dice-chucking dudebasher.

It's definitely been my favorite (competitive) recent game. It just has such stellar design. There isn't a ton of systems bloat, and every weird little rule ends up creating some really tough and meaningful decisions over the course of the game even if they seem almost superfluous at first.

Plus it's stupidly cutthroat at basically every player count, aided in no small part by the merge rules.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would buy Ankh at current msrp if it had pieces like this and a reasonable sized box

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Yeah everything could be cardboard and it would probably be travel sized. Maybe this will occur to someone further down the line, it plays more like a strategic euro than a DOAM really anyway. Dominant Species style cones (for gods) and cubes would be fine too.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Muir posted:

All full price here in Australia…the expansions are so hard to justify as they are more expensive than most full games. Had everything been fully cardboard and 1/3rd the price I would have bought all of it, obviously.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Actually thinking about the draft and red cards in Inis, and then Eric Lang by way of Ankh had me thinking about Blood rage again. I never played it but I remember some impression that it’s too swingy, you need to know all the cards (like Inis, maybe, although this never bothered me much) and there might be some balance issues? What’s the 2022 verdict on Blood Rage?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No reason to play it over Kemet or Inis.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was it Sprawlopolis that was good or was it Agropolis? Or are they both good?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kingdom Come Deliverance crowdfunding cancelled after Boardcubator shutting down

quote:

Bluntly speaking, we did not have the confidence to showcase the real goal of ~1.5 million euros (which would be around 10k backers) in a crowdfunding world where “Funded in XY minutes!” is a regular highlight.

:drat: taking everyone down with them

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it Sprawlopolis that was good or was it Agropolis? Or are they both good?

Sprawlopolis is good, no idea about Agropolis.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm at SHUX and just purchased Burgle Bros 2, probably will end up with a couple more games. Already totally out of space on my Kallax, definitely ordered four more games before even coming here, what's a few more haha right haha

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blamestorm posted:

Actually thinking about the draft and red cards in Inis, and then Eric Lang by way of Ankh had me thinking about Blood rage again. I never played it but I remember some impression that it’s too swingy, you need to know all the cards (like Inis, maybe, although this never bothered me much) and there might be some balance issues? What’s the 2022 verdict on Blood Rage?

It's incredibly well liked by the general population, but goons don't talk about it much at all. Lang doesn't get the type same love for his designs around these parts. That's probably because other games like El Grande, Hansa Teutonica and Inis get the chatter instead. Even Kemet hasn't made many waves recently except for it's messed up crowdfunding campaign.

I've only played it once but I enjoyed it. It's euro-y than many of these games. It is on Board Game Arena, but it is premium so it's not free.

Related to all this Inis talk: looks like there's going to be a Inis Big Box?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sprawlopolis is good, no idea about Agropolis.

I have also only played Sprawl but Agro is unlikely to be super duper different. I concur that Sprawlopolis is very good. It's incredibly clever for such a simple thing, and deserving of the wide amounts of praise it's received. I've played it 1 and 2 player and think it's superior solo, at least so far with about 10-ish plays.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Well we all just showered praise on Ankh and that’s a Lang design. :-)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

No reason to play it over Kemet or Inis.

I think there are definitely advantages over both though it's overall a 7/10 game for me. The draft vs tiles makes the upfront info a bit more manageable for blood rage over kemet and its less likely to have bad taste endings than Inis.

On a buy, play, avoid rating scale, I think it's a solid play.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I backed the Naturopolis Kickstarter after hearing so much good about Sprawlopolis and it seems like a good deal. I went with the $12 pledge to get Naturopolis and its two expansion then threw $11 on top of it to get Sprawlopolis base. Naturopolis, like Agropolis, is standalone but able to be combined with either of the other two. I didn't pick up Combopolis which let's me combine Sprawl and Natur cause it's bundled with the other Combo which is for Agro which I'm slipping for now. So I'll probably shell out a few for that sometime down the line.

I think Naturopolis is much prettier than Agropolis, which is also not as pretty as Sprawlopolis. That's how I decided to skip it entirely for now or good.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I didn’t play a ton of it but I found the computer game implementation of Blood Rage to be decent and it let me see what the game was like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think there are definitely advantages over both though it's overall a 7/10 game for me. The draft vs tiles makes the upfront info a bit more manageable for blood rage over kemet and its less likely to have bad taste endings than Inis.

On a buy, play, avoid rating scale, I think it's a solid play.

The draft is a trap though, unless you really emphasize all the pitfalls players need to look out for (Loki, etc) and possibilities of card strengths, etc. Endings wise, I've definitely seen kingmaker outcomes, though blow out wins are more likely and less satisfying than close games that lead to a kingmaker call. It's a completely fine game that's just outclassed by others now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Managed to get a copy of horizons of spirit island before it goes on sale by asking someone at target if there were any copies in the back.