Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Slavvy posted:

What different ethnicities? You think they'll start pogromming Spaniards or something?

France and Germany will absolutely team up against Spain and Italy if they think there's the tiniest benefit to be gained by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't get it what was the point of this new SK internet law

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't get it what was the point of this new SK internet law

so the ISPs are all korean but almost none of the content platforms are. they're shifting costs onto international, non-korean companies, companies which would have no problem pulling the plug the milisecond it becomes unprofitable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

I have no idea, I don't live in the EU. All I know is that my aunt constantly complains about those turkish vendors in her neighborhood in Germany.

the Turks are worthy of complaint 9/10 times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

they won't give me my motherfucking ice cream cone

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Fair, but she's from Ukraine. So it's like come on, look who's talking.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Slavvy posted:

What different ethnicities? You think they'll start pogromming Spaniards or something?
The brits killed polish grandmas during the brexit vote

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

so the ISPs are all korean but almost none of the content platforms are. they're shifting costs onto international, non-korean companies, companies which would have no problem pulling the plug the milisecond it becomes unprofitable

When you put it that way it sounds reasonable

Internet protectionism

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

they won't give me my motherfucking ice cream cone

:same:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Internet protectionism

i mean that's fair, lots of people at alphabet or meta or w/e are probably making GBS threads their pants. it just means more walls on content, and further harms the international ideal of open communication. the status quo does suck for SK, and we've cheered iran and north korea enacting more drastic measures

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dante80 posted:

Posting some slides from the Chinese presentation in IAC. Some pretty interesting stuff in the works.

moonbase!!

man, i never considered it, but all their AI building/logistics poo poo is perfect for building habitats in space.

do you have a link to the actual presentation or the slides?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:d2a:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think its worth noting that as far as foreign streaming sites skedaddling out of the market goes they already did this to russia in a move that was intended to be punitive but did absolutely nothing either to individual russians or the russian government but did cause an existential crisis at streaming companies because of the lost revenue

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So what the fallout of the Korean law? YouTube force you buy premium or give you 480p video? Or you have to $200/m for boardband internet? That sounds way more expensive than YouTube premium.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its also worth noting that netflix relies on south korean content to such a ridiculous degree that backing out of korea really isnt an option for them theyd lose a huge chunk of their international markets if they lost the south korean dramas and the domestic producers would have zero trouble finding new distributors

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

hahahaha, migrant workers in Dubai are treated so badly its insane
Almost all of them live in places like this that stretch on into the horizon.

I was there in 2006 and you could see them from the highway going into the city
They are bussed into the city for work and back again so i don't know that very many will get to use a machine like this.
Also if you become so poor that you can't find secure housing they will deport you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Or you have to $200/m for boardband internet? That sounds way more expensive than YouTube premium.

can any goons confirm this ballpark number? the blog post i quoted inferred maybe double that, and this is before the new law. i definitely estimated that though, i have no idea what broadband in NYC costs but $40/month seems low compared to texas' lovely tiered service

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

can any goons confirm this ballpark number? the blog post i quoted inferred maybe double that, and this is before the new law. i definitely estimated that though, i have no idea what broadband in NYC costs but $40/month seems low compared to texas' lovely tiered service

I pay 45 a month, no promotion. Middle tier speed in NYC.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I pay 45 a month, no promotion. Middle tier speed in NYC.

that's pretty good, maybe $60 in tx for the same, $120 for gig and higher. an order of magnitude more expensive in SK is extremely untenable lol. operating under the same conditions as SK i wonder why it's so cheap in Germany

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it is somewhat ironic that ISPs make the cheap infrastructure that other companies then make $all from.

it'd be fine if they were just nationalized and the googles taxed, but i guess that's not neoliberally convoluted enough

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nationalizing fiber is like, the easiest loving thing a govt could do. easier than amazon, easier than loving westinghouse or lockheed. it's already there, just loving take it. there's just no will to do so and we will suffer with that absense

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seatbelts posted:

hahahaha, migrant workers in Dubai are treated so badly its insane
Almost all of them live in places like this that stretch on into the horizon.

I was there in 2006 and you could see them from the highway going into the city
They are bussed into the city for work and back again so i don't know that very many will get to use a machine like this.
Also if you become so poor that you can't find secure housing they will deport you.

I know where you are coming from but housing exterior aesthetics is like the least of their problems

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

crepeface posted:

moonbase!!

man, i never considered it, but all their AI building/logistics poo poo is perfect for building habitats in space.

do you have a link to the actual presentation or the slides?

The slides come from those two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQPKzeIPBIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfsjKW4FS0

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Sep 30, 2022

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cool video at 5:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQPKzeIPBIE&t=316s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
sweet thanks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the americans just threw it in the dumpster and poured bleach on it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I pay 45,000won per month for internet and tv bundle. Most likely be the same for just internet.

Better value every single day the currency dives.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Sep 30, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

the americans just threw it in the dumpster and poured bleach on it

in America the wokes banned it for spreading gluten

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

gradenko_2000 posted:

Internet protectionism

essentially what ha-joon chang wrote about(bad samaritans)but now it’s for the internet

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Chinese heating appliances are keeping Europe warm this winter

President Xi, my people long for warmth. Please send Haier heat pumps.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
From a HK artist

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

stephenthinkpad posted:

From a HK artist

Thats a really cute picture

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

its also worth noting that netflix relies on south korean content to such a ridiculous degree that backing out of korea really isnt an option for them theyd lose a huge chunk of their international markets if they lost the south korean dramas and the domestic producers would have zero trouble finding new distributors

Netflix could still coproduce and distribute internationally, just let someone else do it in SK

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

From a HK artist

Whats happening in thailand?

Love the big chinese imperial bear reading a little red book.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm the 404

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
love Taiwan the hentai bear and Malaysia the tapir

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
who the hell is the safeguard defenders ngo that came out this week and said that chinese police has 50 offices overseas? it's hitting the news here in portugal too

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Honest Thief posted:

who the hell is the safeguard defenders ngo that came out this week and said that chinese police has 50 offices overseas? it's hitting the news here in portugal too

https://twitter.com/FuzhouCity/stat...3096%2Fpage-296

Stated goals is that it's a service to provide overseas Fuzhou residence with help handling beurocratic tasks that are difficult without being in China.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Run by Swedes associated with Gui Minhai

Not really the most salacious news, these overseas police stations don't have any legal authority in the countries they're based in, they're not fundamentally different from the Chinese police just calling long-distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There is (or was, anyway, not sure if it's still the case) a few Chinese cops in Novi Sad, as far as I'm aware they're basically tourist herders.

There's also Turkish cops in Serbia too, and they're... less tourist oriented.

e: There was also one big showing of the FBI a few years ago when someone did an international corporate espionage oopsie, although it was kept on the downlow relative to how much poo poo got stirred.

my dad has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Sep 30, 2022