Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wonder Free posted:

We had one of our aircraft do a few quick collection lines in Punta Gorda and Fort Myers yesterday afternoon. Imagery available here https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#11/26.5501/-82.1269

We collected pre-event imagery in the late spring across the east coast, gulf, and west coast for comparison, my advice is to use a computer and open the two maps next to each other if you actually want to do a side by side comparison https://geodesy.noaa.gov/storm_archive/coastal/viewer/index.html

We mainly focus on areas with highest predicted storm surge and critical infrastructure, so stuff like missing bridges, piers, hospitals are the priority. Looks like the water has gone down in the neighbors but you can see where some houses used to be and boats stacked up in peoples yards.

We’ve got a DHC-6 twin otter (much slower) coming from Tallahassee today that will target another coastal area on its way to Miami. The King Air is in Miami and will do another flight today. We will probably be at this for awhile. We keep a ground team on standby to upload and process data so it usually takes 8 hours or so from landing to imagery release on our site.

Other assets that FEMA works with is the Civil Air Patrol and commercial satellite / NGA satellites. The CAP imagery is usually available off their site, the satellite stuff is usually not distributed. Hopefully nothing bad happens in Charleston and the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Thesaurus posted:

Did anyone stay on Sanibel? Because if so... Lol but also :smith:

yes, and sanibel is one of the places where i don't think we know the full extent of the carnage (literal and infrastructural) yet because they're cut off and out of power. very evident that no one is posting to snap map from there when it's returned from other places. i don't think folks there evacuated and right now everything has to be flown in and out.

keep in mind that sanibel is a rich resort town but, like all such towns, is supported by a low-wage underclass living in poorly built and/or trailer homes inland and not on high ground. not clear those folks could evacuate if they were expected to be at work next day.

err posted:

Is there any active count of deaths/missing? The sheriff said hundreds dead.

my suspicion is that we won't know for weeks because right now they're literally still wading into collapsed houses and finding bodies

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

this first link is incredibly useful and demonstrative and cuts off exactly one road south of my folks' place lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Roofs on Sanibel Island look less bad than I expected, my expectations being set mostly by Ida.

There’s still a ton of destruction visible, plus all the invisible waterlogging.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i noticed it was deleted while the embed was still cached:

looks more like concerned community members helping with clean up to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UFOTacoMan posted:

looks more like concerned community members helping with clean up to me.

:yeah:

Imagine if a child had stumbled upon that alcohol. They’re goddamn heroes for taking it off the streets.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder how much money and resources will be wasted on rebuilding here.
Here's a few estimates
https://twitter.com/pkedrosky/status/1575609282141122561
https://twitter.com/artemisbm/status/1575799116441042945

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Homeless Friend posted:

where the hell is the beautifully manicured drone footage at 4k.

was literally just looking for this

when I retype search terms to find the magic combination I have to keep changing the filter to “Upload Date” to get a less-algorithm’d source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsqCJII7Wzo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

:laffo: oh no you looted the hurricane trash off the ground shameful! Those bars need those bottles of sea water/sewage covered liquor!

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

She deleted it right after someone posted "Oh shut up, Karen"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:laffo: oh no you looted the hurricane trash off the ground shameful! Those bars need those bottles of sea water/sewage covered liquor!

Nooo don't take goods that are insurance write-offs now haha you're so cute

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Platystemon posted:

Roofs on Sanibel Island look less bad than I expected, my expectations being set mostly by Ida.

There’s still a ton of destruction visible, plus all the invisible waterlogging.

if im remembering right, the south side of the hurricane brought the storm surge, but the really nasty winds as of landfall were on the north end by englewood where they got the full brunt of the wind damage

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I know nothing about anything, but there are far fewer "piles of lumber that used to be houses" than I was expecting. Based on the surge I assume every one of those is uninhabitable now having been underwater for a few hours, but still.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

reporter upset that people can't simply die with dignity in a way that might get her a local news award

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want another hurricane to form and smash right into Tampa within a month for maximum hilarity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ian survivors sucked up my beer!?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Sep 30, 2022

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I want another hurricane to form and smash right into Tampa within a month for maximum hilarity.

Ian defies all known probability, circles through georgia to charge back up in the gulf for a second shot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

Ian defies all known probability, circles through georgia to charge back up in the gulf for a second shot

Ian becomes the earths red spot and continues to loop around Florida forever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When a house gets flooded in the UK, it fucks it for months, as flooring, plaster, electrics etc all need to be ripped out and replaced. Are these Florida properties designed differently, so a soaking doesn't do too much harm so long as the structure remains intact? Was just wondering if there's any mitigating strategies you can use when building somewhere like that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

When a house gets flooded in the UK, it fucks it for months, as flooring, plaster, electrics etc all need to be ripped out and replaced. Are these Florida properties designed differently, so a soaking doesn't do too much harm so long as the structure remains intact? Was just wondering if there's any mitigating strategies you can use when building somewhere like that.

Yes, it’s called ‘murica and not giving a gently caress.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pistol_Pete posted:

No, most of the intact looking structures will still need major renovation if not complete rebuilding for reasons like that. The stronger hurricane materials/building methods mainly make it safer to be in during a hurricane, the flooding is still going to gently caress everything up

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yes, the process is called “selling to a house flipper who will dry wall over all the rot, mold, and electrical damage and sell to some sucker who will be left holding the bag when they discover it”

I don’t think people in other countries realize how warped America is where even your everyday people have had their brains crack pinged so much that everyone is trying to figure out how to grift off everyone else 24/7 because we’ve destroyed any sense of morality beyond “making money for yourself at all costs and at the expense of others is the only good moral”

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Sep 30, 2022

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ian survivors sucked up my beer!?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol

Hahah

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pistol_Pete posted:

No, there's a pretty good chance that any house where water reached the second floor (so basically anywhere in the path of the worst storm surge that's not on stilts) is probably getting stripped down to the frame at a minimum. Even the salvageable ones probably won't have crews in place quick enough to avoid moisture damage just ruining the whole house.

Also absolutely everything in those houses is going to be ruined by moisture, including poo poo on upper levels that the storm surge didn't reach.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think since you're coming from the UK where the perspective on property is that it's expected to stand for an extremely long time, over several generations is what throwing you off.

Here in America, the houses are not built to last longer than 20 to 30 years. That's not a cheaply made either. Those are thought of as a well made house, the cheap houses last only 5 years here in America

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/felipe333x2/status/1575192200467853312

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

A more accurate description of how a lot of florida housing is designed would be effectively disposable mobile/manufactured homes placed in high-density suburb-style neighborhoods. They aren't built to withstand poo poo, the expectation is a replacement home will be brought in

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

what are they supposed to do? like- take them to the nearest store and say "hey I think you dropped this, please sir let me pay you for it"

the stores don't even exist anymore

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

lol

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

I think since you're coming from the UK where the perspective on property is that it's expected to stand for an extremely long time, over several generations is what throwing you off.

Here in America, the houses are not built to last longer than 20 to 30 years. That's not a cheaply made either. Those are thought of as a well made house, the cheap houses last only 5 years here in America

I specifically looked for pre-1990 houses due to this, ended up buying a 1978 house.

My house has it's issues, but nowhere near the poo poo I'm hearing from people living in five year old houses. When I do any work behind the walls it's a bitch because of how sturdy and well-made the studs are, whereas new houses are made of cheese.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Mold is already growing in those houses.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SirPablo posted:

Mold is already growing in those houses.

old people hate ac

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

old people hate ac

Yeah but most old folks in the US are on blood thinners which do make you feel cold all the time.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Spergin Morlock posted:

seattle bbq sucks rear end

Only if it's not BBQ salmon. Even then, the local Duwamish BBQ will be inferior to my uncle's Chemainus BBQ spring salmon with secret sauce.

Ed: Weatherdammerung 2022: Your BBQ Sucks!

Hexigrammus has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Sep 30, 2022

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

2 years ago our water heater had some valve fail and it dumped its contents all over our garage floor, and because a brain genius built our house, the slab in the garage is sloped toward the entrance to the home. so a poo poo ton of water got under the vinyl flooring down there. didn't matter how quickly we broomed + toweled + got fans set up in there, that floor was turbo hosed and had to get ripped up and replaced. and that was just like an inch of water. so no, any house that had flood waters enter it needs between 'some work' and 'to be rebuilt'

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Why don't Floridians just live in their CyberTrucks?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

elon gonna start producing CyberSheds and CyberTrailers

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

CyberDomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Why don't Floridians just live in their CyberTrucks?

Why don't Floridians just not live in Florida?