Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

It will more likely be riots.
The flashpoint will probably be some bodies in the street though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Further evidence that Tories can either look 12yo or 68yo, no in-between. Also, extremely hosed up to post that where I can see it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The flashpoint will probably be some bodies in the street though.

Hopefully not, but you know how hope goes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Further evidence that Tories can either look 12yo or 68yo, no in-between. Also, extremely hosed up to post that where I can see it

Rick Astley’s son there with a poo poo eating grin

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Has anyone got a decent rundown on why Truss and Kwarteng's economic strategy has been so devastating?

I haven't really read into it, but "massive tax cuts for the rich funded by loving everyone else" is what the tories always do so I'm wondering why this particular instance of it is causing the economy to die

It's because it's being done so blatantly - literally a replay of the Barber Boom 'dash for
growth' which set the stage for all the problems of the 1970s, but with much less chance of even the momentary spurt of growth that Barber managed. It's not like austerity, which was done with a sad face and talk about national credit cards and scary debt/gdp ratios. That's how competent politicians are supposed to sell "continual wealth transfers from the rich to the poor". When politicians come out and literally say it and then confirm that they're definitely not going to change their minds, it suggests they're being blindly ideological and incompetent and the markets get spooked.

It's also that the government and the central bank are not only out of step but working in opposite directions - the government is trying to promote growth with inflation as an acceptable byproduct and the Bank of England is trying to restrain inflation. Contrary fiscal and monetary policy is also not a good indicator of a stable economy and currency that will be a low-risk investment in the coming years.

Finally, more and more external bodies have been telling the UK to do anything but cut taxes on the rich and slash spending to boost its economy. Noted left-wing agitators the International Monetary Fund have identified the UK's sluggish growth and poor productivity as being caused by underfunded services and infrastructure, a lack of disposable income in the consumer side of the economy, huge geographical inequities and too much investment going into property and financial vehicles rather than anything in the productive economy. The Johnson government at least talked about doing things to address those problems. So part of the response is the markets going "Not only are they not going to listen, they're really going to do the opposite, huh?" and acting accordingly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Had a conversation with my team at work today and all of them (6 people) thought their energy bills are capped at £2,500 a year.

We're gonna execute the special combo of spending tens of billions on subsidy while making it confusing enough that people still manage to bankrupt themselves with power bills.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Tory MP on radio 2 saying Liz truss is and always has been a fool.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol that owns

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Gort posted:

Has anyone got a decent rundown on why Truss and Kwarteng's economic strategy has been so devastating?

I haven't really read into it, but "massive tax cuts for the rich funded by loving everyone else" is what the tories always do so I'm wondering why this particular instance of it is causing the economy to die

The first 20 minutes or so covers it fairly well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzg7u3KW710

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I've actually had a wee bet against the pound here. Once again the Truss/Kwarteng brain trust has gone for the worst possible choice in terms of reassuring the markets.

I'm like Crispin Odey, basically, except at least 10% more slug-like in appearance and behaviour.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 30, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Had a conversation with my team at work today and all of them (6 people) thought their energy bills are capped at £2,500 a year.

We're gonna execute the special combo of spending tens of billions on subsidy while making it confusing enough that people still manage to bankrupt themselves with power bills.
Did they not pause to think that if that were the case then a bunch of free market geniuses would instantly set up aluminium foundries in their back yards and ruin the whole thing?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's important to remember that the Tory MPs were roughly split evenly between Truss, Sunak and Mordaunt, so there are quite a few of them who really did not want her as PM

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Got word that the buyers have pulled out, I think we're going to do the same :smith:

Sorry man, I had my house sale collapse twice, there is £10k I'm never getting back

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sorry for Glinnerposting but holy moly, this is where true believer GCs end up. Incredible to end uk here because his ego wouldn’t let him accept valid criticism of jokes on IT Crowd

https://twitter.com/aidanctweets/status/1575782191317266432?s=46&t=J65wRq57QY-9wipCd6ABiQ

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Turns out it's difficult to satirise people who are terminally fixated on the genitals of kids' cartoon characters
https://twitter.com/opiumteaworld/status/1575751753546444800

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SixFigureSandwich posted:

It's important to remember that the Tory MPs were roughly split evenly between Truss, Sunak and Mordaunt, so there are quite a few of them who really did not want her as PM

It's also important to remember that more of them wanted Sunak, but they knew that the party at large would never vote for him in the runoff so Truss and Mordaunt would never stand down. So they buttered their own bread and stood with whichever woman they thought would win. Which means it is even more important to remember that more Tories outside the Sunak faction wanted a hateful moronic lunatic at the wheel than didn't.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A bunch of these gender critical people have just lost their minds. Everything is a target now, everything is some sort of assault against children. I know the U.S. variant have gone after the panto dame I'm just surprised the U.K. strain hasn't picked up on that.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^^
i knd of recall someone pointing out to a GC columnist who was railing against drag shows that they'd written a column only a year or two previously extolling the tradition of the pantomime dame, and the response was 'well, that was before my eyes were opend to the TRUTH'

xtothez posted:

Turns out it's difficult to satirise people who are terminally fixated on the genitals of kids' cartoon characters
Forstater woke up today still mad as gently caress btw
https://twitter.com/MForstater/status/1575763384858865667
ten tweet thread that concludes with 'It is important that institutions do not allow cultures to develop where it is ok to lie to & disparage parents. Safeguarding 101. "Queering" these institutions w ambiguity & lies, makes parents rightly feel they are unsafe.'

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 30, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

peanut- posted:

I'm new to the whole energy system in the UK, but I just found out that our provider is a renewable energy firm, and thus out bills aren't capped.

Any advice on what to do? We're currently sitting at £300 a month for a tiny ex-council house.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xtothez posted:

The Twitter user who started the whole thing off has kept tweeting about it and I cannot even begin to understand what she is on about. Not knowing an alien's gender and parentage is apparently a threat to children's safety.

Riley's Law is proven again: once you start terfposting you can never think normally again.

e:
Yeah her

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
She was also just on radio 2.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm new to the whole energy system in the UK, but I just found out that our provider is a renewable energy firm, and thus out bills aren't capped.

Any advice on what to do? We're currently sitting at £300 a month for a tiny ex-council house.

Assuming you just inherited the provider when you moved in you won't be under any kind of contract, so you can switch fast to British Gas or another big provider that is subject to the cap. Just sign up for their standard variable tariff

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

https://twitter.com/MForstater/status/1575763404928655360

The horror, imagine an alien dressed as a toddler! The world is coming to an end I tell you what.

As a twist - are we sure the original bear wasn't trans? Maybe he's actually a former she-bear :tinfoil:. Even Maya says it's a bit suspect to have a men mothering little bears (of UNKNOWN gender? ugh how dodgy).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Apraxin posted:

^^^^
i knd of recall someone pointing out to a GC columnist who was railing against drag shows that they'd written a column only a year or two previously extolling the tradition of the pantomime dame, and the response was 'well, that was before my eyes were opend to the TRUTH'

Forstater woke up today still mad as gently caress btw
https://twitter.com/MForstater/status/1575763384858865667
ten tweet thread that concludes with 'It is important that institutions do not allow cultures to develop where it is ok to lie to & disparage parents. Safeguarding 101. "Queering" these institutions w ambiguity & lies, makes parents rightly feel they are unsafe.'

Reading that thread, she litteraly sounds like she is from a poundland version of Warhammer 40K.

"Suffer not the Xenos to be a mascot on a children's library!
Beware the Enemy Within, the Enemy Without and most of all, the Enemy who doesn't confirm to our definition of gender!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Denying the ability of a male cartoon bear to parent a cub = feminism

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Denying the ability of a male cartoon bear to parent a cub = feminism

How dare you disparage a woman's right to be a mother oh woops I became a fash

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
That whole storm-in-a-tweetcup thing about the cute alien that encourages kids to read and use their imagination genuinely gives me a headache :psyduck: Because usually when I see someone spilling their crazy theories I can at least see the faintest thread of internal logic or the false/flawed/different basis that they're building the rest of it on.

But I cannot see how an androgynous non-human cartoon character is supposed to pose a threat to childrens' safety or development. Especially given the huge catalogue of existing characters and stories aimed at children with fantasy characters and/or without parent figures. Just utterly, incomprehensibly bizarre. I can't imagine the level of brain-rot you'd have to have to see this benign, friendly character designed to promote unquestionably good and positive things and immediately worry about how it reproduces or that it's part of some sinister agenda.

I'd be less baffled if they said it was trying to spread communism because of the red star on its dungarees. Either that or Tala works for the parcel service of British Rail...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Failed Imagineer posted:

From the outside looking in, the Scottish-English divide is just the spidermen pointing meme

A lot of that, yes.

Still, I can sympathize with "a majority of these people want me dead, and I want out". I don't interpret Ash as hostile, but instead as desperate to get away from England, and given her circumstances, I can't blame her one bit for that. It's the same "everyone sucks and is hosed" as half the thread, just through a different lens.

I can't say I know many people with the intersection of issues Ash has who haven't gone the exact same kind of hostile lately.

That's a no for the threadban. I see no positive outcomes out of sanitizing the very real impacts this mess has.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BalloonFish posted:

That whole storm-in-a-tweetcup thing about the cute alien that encourages kids to read and use their imagination genuinely gives me a headache :psyduck: Because usually when I see someone spilling their crazy theories I can at least see the faintest thread of internal logic or the false/flawed/different basis that they're building the rest of it on.

But I cannot see how an androgynous non-human cartoon character is supposed to pose a threat to childrens' safety or development. Especially given the huge catalogue of existing characters and stories aimed at children with fantasy characters and/or without parent figures. Just utterly, incomprehensibly bizarre. I can't imagine the level of brain-rot you'd have to have to see this benign, friendly character designed to promote unquestionably good and positive things and immediately worry about how it reproduces or that it's part of some sinister agenda.

I'd be less baffled if they said it was trying to spread communism because of the red star on its dungarees. Either that or Tala works for the parcel service of British Rail...

Same as it ever was, they want the state to protect their right to raise children as bigots.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

BalloonFish posted:

literally the whole problem she has, as far as I can tell, that it is introducing children to the idea that it is possible for a sapient entity of any kind to not be either a boy or a girl. From this, a child might question why all humans have to be either a boy or a girl, and might even prepare them for the possibility of meeting a fellow human being who also calls themselves "they". This would lead to questioning or weakening the simple sex binary that is fundamental to the TERF view of society: patriarchy is man against woman, man is XY and penis, woman is XX and vagina, no further axioms required.

They also believe that merely telling a child that non-binary people exist and should be respected is the same as pressuring them to transition, the standard "they're recruiting our kids" stuff that dismisses queer children (you can't possibly know what you want to be called and who you fancy until you turn 16. i mean 18. i mean 25) along with a healthy dose of sexualising queer identities (being transgender or non-binary is sexually explicit and should not be shown to children).

In fact I think that the alien probably does help normalise people with "they" as a pronoun, if not perhaps to the apocalyptic extent that Forstater believes, and as a result they fuckin' rock and are awesome. all hail tala the storytelling alien

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BBC journalists seem to be starting to actually do their jobs

https://twitter.com/GraemeDemianyk/status/1575614086569955329

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fuctifino posted:

BBC journalists seem to be starting to actually do their jobs

https://twitter.com/GraemeDemianyk/status/1575614086569955329

Happens for a while about once every 12 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Sorry for Glinnerposting but holy moly, this is where true believer GCs end up. Incredible to end uk here because his ego wouldn’t let him accept valid criticism of jokes on IT Crowd

https://twitter.com/aidanctweets/status/1575782191317266432?s=46&t=J65wRq57QY-9wipCd6ABiQ
fash mouth eat the large immotile gametes

BalloonFish posted:

I'd be less baffled if they said it was trying to spread communism because of the red star on its dungarees.
Funny thing is it's the exact same argument as when it was "communism against the family" or the earlier one "the Jew, allied with the Protestant and the other guy I irrationally hate, against the Christian family"

It's this for the 20s (the 2020s)

just pure pants making GBS threads terror that they're sciencing the kids and you won't be able to throw rocks at Jews without being arrested and thrown in jail, these days.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Still, I can sympathize with "a majority of these people want me dead, and I want out". I don't interpret Ash as hostile, but instead as desperate to get away from England, and given her circumstances, I can't blame her one bit for that.
Escaping transphobic England by moving to Scotland is certainly a bold move.

endlessmonotony posted:

It's the same "everyone sucks and is hosed" as half the thread, just through a different lens.
Since people only understand politics through the lens of Simpsons memes, lets see if I can restate the problem:

This thread:

Ash:

You:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

D&D mods are almost uniquely bad, certainly with their interactions with this thread. I blame liberalism, but then I always blame liberalism.
We've had repeated mod incursions in the Scandinavian thread too, also loving things up each time. Like, either straight up trolling or trying to force an IK on us because the moderation team is apparently a state trying to make their subjects legible.

Anyway, we should clearly form an alliance against the mods.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Escaping transphobic England by moving to Scotland is certainly a bold move.

Since people only understand politics through the lens of Simpsons memes, lets see if I can restate the problem:

Ash is every bit as stuck in this mess as most other people here.

You're right, though - I see no meaningful difference between your posting and Ash's.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

endlessmonotony posted:

I see no meaningful difference between your posting and Ash's.

Have you considered English lessons?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rarity posted:

Have you considered English lessons?

They're both equally doomer-brained, frustrated, and hostile. Bobby's just masking it under a thick layer of sticking to social protocol. Stiff upper lip, pip pip.

I don't think either especially like me (this goes for a lot of people), but I don't find one more mean-spirited than the other. I think both of them will take that as an insult.

Now I could complain about people being frustrated and abrasive, but if I did, I fear the sheer size of the :ironicat: would crush the forums into a posting singularity.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s a subtle difference between “everything’s hosed we’re all doomed” and “everything’s hosed and it’s YOUR FAULT AND YOU DESERVE TO BE DOOMED” imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't think either especially like me (this goes for a lot of people), but I don't find one more mean-spirited than the other. I think both of them will take that as an insult.
Honestly if you can't understand the difference between sympathy and spite, that's very much a you problem.