Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Anyone have any opinions on the update? Been playing PoE since the patch dropped.

New dungeons fun? Anyone surprised at the reality of the combat changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I haven't played the dungeons, but everything I've heard about them has been positive.

The changes: They're noticeable, but not super extreme. You'll deal a little less damage, take a bit more damage, and get a little less healing. If you were on a borderline getting through something, this will hurt, otherwise things will take a bit longer. All setups are affected, but some will notice it more than others, and some situations will have things more noticeable. Overland won't be noticeable to most people, dungeon damage taken and dealt out will be noticeable, but healing in most cases won't since healing has been overstrong in the game for years. In vet HM stuff you'll probably notice the healing too, though.

The DoT stuff I dunno, I've never felt they were that strong in the first place. The timer changes take some getting used to but I think it's a positive change. In general the end result of the patch isn't that bad. If this had been the first patch and they had better clearer reasons for it, it would be fine. The real concern is a) how what they say their goals are don't match what they do, and b) the feeling that they don't really have a direction or a sense of the reality on the ground for anyone in the playerbase. Like, it's not that they're blinded by casuals, or by PVP or by endgamers or midtiers or whatever, they're just in their own world. And that disconnect has made a lot of people weary not just about this patch but the future.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

there's definitely cause to be concerned about the future, oof

after an extraordinary amount of effort on the part of the community, the developer managed not to outright kill the game with this patch. it was pretty wild to watch the first patch announcements open with controversial but fixable ideas and ideals while later patch announcements sank further and further into "do any of you play this game" territory

it really only pulled up out of nosedive and impending disaster with the last patch announcement one week ago :sigh:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 23, 2022

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm only level 46 stam warden been playing off and on. I hadn't played in a few weeks. Only thing I've noticed so far is that my buffs and dots are a bit easier to maintain.

I'm generally afraid of group content though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you'll be fine in group content. it's not particularly challenging at first

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

really, watch a YouTube video of a dungeon's mechanics and you're set

you don't really need to gear up for normal dungeons

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Emberfox posted:

I'm only level 46 stam warden been playing off and on. I hadn't played in a few weeks. Only thing I've noticed so far is that my buffs and dots are a bit easier to maintain.

I'm generally afraid of group content though.

If you queue for random normals, it's likely you'll have a sweaty DPS queue as tank and solo the dungeon before you have time to read the quest.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr Newsman posted:

If you queue for random normals, it's likely you'll have a sweaty DPS queue as tank and solo the dungeon before you have time to read the quest.

you're welcome.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
:patriot:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Potato Salad posted:

really, watch a YouTube video of a dungeon's mechanics and you're set

you don't really need to gear up for normal dungeons

For Normal dungeons you don't even need to do this. Just try to keep up and don't stand in the stuff.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Doctor Zero posted:

For Normal dungeons you don't even need to do this. Just try to keep up and don't stand in the stuff.

This is the MMO quote for all MMOs!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What exactly are the combat changes that caused the hubub?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Some very strong metas were nerfed a bit, but that's normal.

The big change was alteration to a lot of DOT strength, where many now last 20 seconds and spread their damage out over that longer time.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Finished my Oakensoul yesterday. I know it got nerfed but I'm having fun with it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

whatcha r running on it?

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

whatcha r running on it?

Magplar

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Does anyone know if there's any difference in the RNG between clearing Fungal Grotto a thousand times versus harder/longer dungeons when it comes to dropping stuff for the Undaunted festival?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Because I have no impulse control, I grabbed the Steam Client for free when it was available and created another account for that.

If someone could toss me an invite to any goony (dead) guilds on the PC NA servers, that would be swell! I'm on Mac - I'm assuming that doesn't matter and it's console / non-console, essentially.

[lljk]Doctor_Zero

(Shows you how long ago I created that account)

Thanks!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Because I have no impulse control, I grabbed the Steam Client for free when it was available and created another account for that.

If someone could toss me an invite to any goony (dead) guilds on the PC NA servers, that would be swell! I'm on Mac - I'm assuming that doesn't matter and it's console / non-console, essentially.

[lljk]Doctor_Zero

(Shows you how long ago I created that account)

Thanks!
Is that your steam account name? The game requires your ESO account name. when you're in the game, go to the party/dungeon finder screen, it should say userID: @XXXXXXXXXXX in top left of that section

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is that your steam account name? The game requires your ESO account name. when you're in the game, go to the party/dungeon finder screen, it should say userID: @XXXXXXXXXXX in top left of that section

Thanks. It's @DoktorZero.

which is kind of odd because I don't know where it got that from. It's closest to my xbox live account, but I never played ESO on xbox, I don't think. Although the account is linked. :iiam:

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
To anyone else who's been on the fence; high isle is 50% off right now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

valuum posted:

To anyone else who's been on the fence; high isle is 50% off right now.

Also got a lil bit of a festival going on in high isle. In case you had your eye on that daggerfall costume for awhile.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I just found out you can get ESO running in a steam deck! And it runs well too!

https://www.protondb.com/app/306130

Go into the eso launch options and enable Force the use of a compatibility tool. Use Proton Experimental.

Copy the launch text in that link into the launch options field. Don’t try to add a line break just put a space between the settings.

Install and launch. At some point in installation setup you will hit a blank screen. Use Steam key + X (or anything to just hit a keyboard key) and it will continue.

The hardest part was trying to bring up the menu to change to controller mode - use Steam Key + Dpad left for Esc.

Enjoy playing ESO on the go!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cool, they're adding alternative animations for harvesting, recall, etc., in the future. One step closer to spell fashion perhaps.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Doctor Zero posted:

I just found out you can get ESO running in a steam deck! And it runs well too!

https://www.protondb.com/app/306130

Go into the eso launch options and enable Force the use of a compatibility tool. Use Proton Experimental.

Copy the launch text in that link into the launch options field. Don’t try to add a line break just put a space between the settings.

Install and launch. At some point in installation setup you will hit a blank screen. Use Steam key + X (or anything to just hit a keyboard key) and it will continue.

The hardest part was trying to bring up the menu to change to controller mode - use Steam Key + Dpad left for Esc.

Enjoy playing ESO on the go!

Oh god. This is going to be amazing. I assume this is in Desktop mode?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Tagaziel posted:

Oh god. This is going to be amazing. I assume this is in Desktop mode?

Oh, I didn't even realize there was a Desktop mode for the SteamDeck. I've had it in Gaming mode this whole time. LOL. I don't know - I'll try it.

E: yeah, works fine in Desktop mode too.

E: E: It ran fine, but I couldn't use the Steam button after getting back to the ESO splash screen, and I had to hard reset the deck. Not sure if that was a one-time thing or not. :iiam:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 10, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

any of the rest of you unable to get the game to load past the splash screen?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

any of the rest of you unable to get the game to load past the splash screen?
No, but I had that issue on PTS, try removing your addons folder. Or wait and see if tomorrow's patch fixes things

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The known issue is HarvestMap's NodeDetection module, at last I knew.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It's supposed to be fixed now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yuuuup, latest patch fixed it all

jfc

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Didn't fix blocking, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Didn't fix blocking, though.

is that what's going on? swear to god, I am completely unable to keep myself from getting stunned from boss mechanics right now, sit there a full second before the mechanic goes off, not casting anything, just holding up my block and seeing the active bracing

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Current block issue is that it drops block all the time after a roll, much of the time after a bash, some of the time when block casting, also bar swapping and heavy attacking or just holding block for too long has a chance of dropping block. It does still mostly work, it's just kinda unreliable.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I've only been playing for a year, is it typical for ESO to announce the new zones/chapter in January like they did with High Isle?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

I've only been playing for a year, is it typical for ESO to announce the new zones/chapter in January like they did with High Isle?
Yes. Expect little info until some tease in late December and some kind of looking back/looking forward new year letter from the devs about the state of the game, then an announcement in mid-late jan about the new chapter and around the same time an announcement of the next dungeon dlc to hit pts late jan/early feb for release in march.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yes. Expect little info until some tease in late December and some kind of looking back/looking forward new year letter from the devs about the state of the game, then an announcement in mid-late jan about the new chapter and around the same time an announcement of the next dungeon dlc to hit pts late jan/early feb for release in march.

Awesome. Thanks!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Do we have any hints as to where the next expansion will take place? I seem to remember the peninsula east of Vvardenfell getting mentioned in the latest DLC.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Do we have any hints as to where the next expansion will take place? I seem to remember the peninsula east of Vvardenfell getting mentioned in the latest DLC.

Oh god if Port Telvannis finally makes it in the Tamriel Rebuilt crew is gonna have to add 100 more "yes we know ESO did it different" disclaimers to everything.

Still totally worth it and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Too much?