Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

VideoGames posted:

My 10 most favourite video game soundtracks are (not in top ten order):

Mass Effect

thinkin abou t Vigil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

You almost have to admire SE’s commitment to mediocrity for the next generation of console and PC gaming. It’s a good thing FF14 is beloved because otherwise I do know what they have going for them. A couple more remakes of the last decent DQ title maybe?

I'll take SE's throwing poo poo at walls to see what sticks approach rather than AAA western gaming releasing two games a year which are all the same any day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

On to Dark Bramble. Dark Bramble sucks! It's bad game design, folks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

On to Dark Bramble. Dark Bramble sucks! It's bad game design, folks!

sounds like Outer Milds alright

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

thinkin abou t Vigil

Even though not my most favourite track from the OST, Vigil is literally mass_effect.mp3 to me. :)

Man, what are my favourite tracks from each one?

Probably:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like so many parts of the game. But also so many of my problems with the game radiate outward from Dark Bramble! I hate that this wasn't workshopped more!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

[*]BP Please do not click this one.

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So I'm guessing you're getting the Shatter Remastered Deluxe a month from now, Veegy?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

So I'm guessing you're getting the Shatter Remastered Deluxe a month from now, Veegy?

The amount of time I spent on regular Shatter demands it. Argon Refinery is so good and easily the best, but the way Kinetic Harvest starts the first level kind of pumps you up like never before :D What a great game. I have always loved Breakout/Arkanoid style games and Shatter is a superb version!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The best video game soundtrack is Metal Gear Rising, but that list has some other good picks too!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

I like so many parts of the game. But also so many of my problems with the game radiate outward from Dark Bramble! I hate that this wasn't workshopped more!

How so? I’m guessing anglerfish, but other than that it’s pretty clever I thought, and considering what it did, it’s supposed to be lovely. Luckily there’s not tooo much to do there, at least compared to every other planet.

Also it made jonathon blow rage quit (or anglerfish specifically, even though he’d been there many times and knew that any noise whatsoever would make them come after you still did it and got pissed enough to quit. And he had just figured out what to do to beat the game, so he was basically within a single loop or beating it and literally quit out of the game and whined for like 10 minutes and never played it again.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bop bop perano posted:

Also it made jonathon blow rage quit (or anglerfish specifically, even though he’d been there many times and knew that any noise whatsoever would make them come after you still did it and got pissed enough to quit. And he had just figured out what to do to beat the game, so he was basically within a single loop or beating it and literally quit out of the game and whined for like 10 minutes and never played it again.

Tbf that was me with The Witness

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I know it's not most people's cup o tea, but Metal Hellsinger has easily become one of my favorite video game soundtracks. Easily top 10. Chrono Cross, Nier: The First, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are probably top 3 for me.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

VideoGames posted:

I do not recall any moments where I just ran up against a wall,

Oh I had a few. One was me literally thinking my best shot at getting to the Black Hole Forge was to climb a big piece of ruin that is, very honestly, obviously not the answer. But I decided to be stubborn and literally run up against a wall for an entire loop.
When I finally got there by another (correct) method it was "What just happened, where the hell am I OH I'M FINALLY HERE oh wow why did I think that there wouldn't be a better way to that."
I think the High Energy Lab is one of the few places where it feels like the normal entrance is too obnoxious and there has to be a better way but there isn't. Besixes that I did find I was getting stuck because I was determined to get myself stuck and refused to consider that there might be an easier way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Playing MGS2/3 without being able to slowly let go of square to not shoot a guy in the back of the head seems like not even playing it at all.

I hear you have to press down on the dpad in the non-PS2/PS3 versions instead? gently caress that.

Pro trick is to unequip your gun with the shoulder button while aiming. It's much faster and reliable. This also reloads your gun if your mag isnt full so its something I do all the time.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 30, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bop bop perano posted:

Tbf that's exactly how my playthorigh of outer wilds ended too :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

My 10 most favourite video game soundtracks are (not in top ten order):

Nier:Automata
VVVVVV
Sonic Mania
Shatter
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Mass Effect
Outer Wilds
Metal Gear Solid 3
FFVIII

I'll bite, in favorite soundtrack order, a favorite for each

1. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - The Shard
2. Xenogears - My Village Is Number One
3. Bloodborne - The First Hunter
4. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - Cure The Princess
5. NieR: Automata - Alien Manifestation
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Wandering Ghosts
7. The Last Guardian - Escape
8. Final Fantasy 7 - Cosmo Canyon
9. Disco Elysium - Disco Elysium pt 1
10. Jet Set Radio - Sneakman
11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Snake Eater Theme
12. Star Gladiator - Fourth Empire's Scout Ship
13. Shadow of the Colossus - Avion, A Despair Filled Farewell
14. Celeste - First Steps
15. FTL - Engi
16. Kolibri - Metastasis
17. Bionic Commando '09 - The Gauntlet
18. Inscryption - [*]Veegy no click The Scrybe of Magicks
19. Diablo II - Tristram
20. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - Credits

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I'm offended that you dont have powerplant from bionic commando rearmed on that list

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

legit thought I broke my console. ps5 would boot fine for like 30 seconds and then would freeze at the Home Screen, controller unresponsive apart from the ps button, and trying to turn it off would make it freeze on the ‘turning the console off screen’ and would need a hard reset. Turns out it was the router being plugged in but not having an internet connection lol.

xbox and switch worked normally :magemage:

One thing I've found with modern internet-focused devices is they behave like they're straight-up broken if they think you have working internet but don't. It can force them into waiting for a response from a server that's ordinarily very fast but never comes. If it properly detects your internet is down then it will just give up and not go into these stuck situations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i didnt read the list so i have no idea whether its there or not

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I'll bite, in favorite soundtrack order, a favorite for each

1. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - The Shard
2. Xenogears - My Village Is Number One
3. Bloodborne - The First Hunter
4. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - Cure The Princess
5. NieR: Automata - Alien Manifestation
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Wandering Ghosts
7. The Last Guardian - Escape
8. Final Fantasy 7 - Cosmo Canyon
9. Disco Elysium - Disco Elysium pt 1
10. Jet Set Radio - Sneakman
11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Snake Eater Theme
12. Star Gladiator - Fourth Empire's Scout Ship
13. Shadow of the Colossus - Avion, A Despair Filled Farewell
14. Celeste - First Steps
15. FTL - Engi
16. Kolibri - Metastasis
17. Bionic Commando '09 - The Gauntlet
18. Inscryption - [*]Veegy no click The Scrybe of Magicks
19. Diablo II - Tristram
20. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - Credits

That Celeste track was my most listened to piece of music in 2020 according to spotify :) What a superb sound track! Some of the games in your list I am going to eventually play so I am not clicking them either ;)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The disco Elysium soundtrack is great in game but I did try to listen to it on YouTube absent context and it just doesn’t work. Also @BP good choice on the mirror’s edge soundtrack that rocked.

Shout out to Majora’s mask for having one of the best soundtracks of all time.

I was suddenly struck by how Nintendo’s soundtracks have gone way down the drain ever since Mario’s music turned into that weird incessant BWAH-ing and Zelda adopted free form Jazz. Go back!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BP here’s a Dark Bramble tip: the terrifying fishies are attracted to the engine sounds, not to movement. so if you accelerate lots before entering a new area but then stop when you get there you can sail past them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Might do a top soundtracks post when I get home. Itll probably just be all jrpgs tho

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The vidjagame song that puts the biggest smile on my face is buck bumble from the n64s theme

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The vidjagame song that puts the biggest smile on my face is buck bumble from the n64s theme

Mods please close this thread

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Still playing through Tsushi-DLC, I realize every game (especially open world stuff with crafting/upgrades etc.) should have the TLOU automatic pickup option.

Let me play as a murdering roomba, please!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

fridge corn posted:

Might do a top soundtracks post when I get home. Itll probably just be all jrpgs tho

:hmmyes:

I don’t really have a list, but Persona 3 FES, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal are all first ballot hall of fame soundtracks. Mass Destruction from Persona 3 is my favorite combat music of all time.

Edit for link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFaoLrLzd4

Babybabybabybabybaby *horns squeal*

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 30, 2022

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

tuo posted:

Still playing through Tsushi-DLC, I realize every game (especially open world stuff with crafting/upgrades etc.) should have the TLOU automatic pickup option.

Let me play as a murdering roomba, please!

I'm just thankful Ghost of Tsushima lets me grab resources from my horse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wanted to like JETT: The Far Shore a lot more than I did, and so did a lot of other people, but I guess enough of them succeeded at liking it that it's getting a free expansion next year. Hopefully it'll at least help with the sudden and unsatisfying ending

quote:

The 2023 campaign “Given Time” takes place 3 years after the events of the original campaign's ending, as Mei arises from torpor into Ground Control, which is still in hibernation with only one other scout awake, and a weathered jett awaiting outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=latPiVIx0Xw

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 30, 2022

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It's not my absolute favorite, but sometimes I think about the stage 1-1 song from Super Turrican

https://youtu.be/J6gW975XDwA

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

E1M1 played entirely on the haptic motors in a DualSense or nothing

https://youtu.be/9tc-FnGVdps

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Aipsh posted:

The disco Elysium soundtrack is great in game but I did try to listen to it on YouTube absent context and it just doesn’t work. Also @BP good choice on the mirror’s edge soundtrack that rocked.

idk i listen to it all the time, but usually jut like 5-7 specific tracks, or i'll listen to the british sea power versions that are more like a full rock band version of tracks like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkb5OtTmgg

the solar ash soundtrack for some reason was just now released, or like a couple weeks ago, but it fits the game so well, i love the theme you hear in the reveal trailer and these two tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8L_tLVvDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOz3Pe9dV9Y

ive mentioned it a few times itt but the returnal ost by the haxan cloak is too good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kUDQfpEbc

someone posted this michael nyman soundtrack to enemy zero in a pyf thread about video game soundtracks like a year ago and i've been obsessed with it since, it's so good and like the weirdest choice to pick michael nyman to do a game score. but apparently kenji eno didn't like the first group of tracks he submitted which apparently offended michael nyman enough to really outdo himself and make some of his best work ever. he straight up reused the whole soundtrack again as like his version of the score for man with a movie camera, like 20 years later, so i imagined he also thought it was too good for how few copies of enemy zero were sold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fEcOPn5-Xg

overall it's such a strange game, the way kenji eno had originally planned on releasing it on playstation, but apparently sony were a pain to work with and his previous game, D, had sold like 100,000 preorders but Sony only manufactured like 20,000 discs and in general they were sort of treated like poo poo, so they showed off the trailer for enemy zero at e3 in like 1996, but at the end the playstation logo morphed into a sega logo and they ended up releasing enemy zero on the saturn, and they just didn't tell anyone at sony prior to that which owns. also, fumito ueda worked on the game as an animator, 5 years before ico was released. it also has the most crazy special edition ive ever seen, it was like 20 grand and they only made 20 of them, but it's absurd:
https://twitter.com/rpgsite/status/940966690149601281

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What do you even do with resources in late game tsushima? Jin should have the option to let the peasants keep their bundles after he's rescued them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s taxes

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

I'm dumb, but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do in Machine Strike and after a few minutes I'd always quit, because I'd rather be doing something else. It might actually be good, but the introduction was just super unfun and if you can't hook me there I'm never gonna care about it.

Nope, I think you nailed it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

motherfucking BFG DIVISION

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

still didnt read the list is that masterpiece on there

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

look you can argue ohhh read the loving post or whatever but do you have any idea how hard it is to scroll up like satchel paige said dont look back somebody might be gainin on ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fridge corn posted:

It's unfair to say that the best soundtracks are all JRPGs. There's also racing games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJkK83jJFuE