Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nukes wouldn’t achieve any of the goals of Russia, even tactical ones. Nice job you just nuked the battlefield, now enjoy marching your troops through the fallout. The threats are empty, and the annexation is probably more about ramping up conscription and maintaining public support, than actual justification for nukes which firstly they don’t need to ask the public for and secondly would not be popular anyway and might get Russian leadership killed. Never say never though, the Russian leadership are in the habit of making some very stupid and bellicose public statements, it might take just one brain cell misfiring for Putin to actually believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

qhat posted:

Nukes wouldn’t achieve any of the goals of Russia, even tactical ones.

Nothing Russia can do will achieve any of the goals it wants, even tactical ones. But nuking Kyiv would give him a few minutes satisfaction.

Which I very much doubt he can feel any other way.

edit- Just thought of a new horror. Putin decides the annexed land iesenough, and decides to prevent Ukraine every being a threat again.

He launches strategic nuclear weapons on all major cities in Ukraine. He does not care about damage to his own country anyway. There's little difference between what the West can or will do between 1 nuke and dozens, but the destruction of every Ukrainian city bigger than 10,000 people would destroy all Ukrainian resistance.

That's my new nightmare scenario.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 30, 2022

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Is anyone still confident that Putin is thinking rationally? All of these assessments about "what would this gain" and "it would cause more problems" assume that he's a rational actor.

I guess that there's no real way to tell what state of mind he is in, but at this stage there are no good options for him, only varying degrees of shithouse ones. There is no return to status quo ante.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Is anyone still confident that Putin is thinking rationally? All of these assessments about "what would this gain" and "it would cause more problems" assume that he's a rational actor.

I guess that there's no real way to tell what state of mind he is in, but at this stage there are no good options for him, only varying degrees of shithouse ones. There is no return to status quo ante.

This line of thinking is exactly what's fed hundreds of "oh no, now that North Korea has nukes, surely North Korea is going to nuke us any minute now" articles over the years.

Even if a leader seems irrational from the Western perspective, that doesn't mean they're gonna slam the nuclear button at the first chance they get.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Putin's going to get shot if he loses the war, so he's going to keep escalating because in escalation there is a chance he might win. He's being extremely rational for his personal situation.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

What if Putin nuked the moon

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carmant posted:

It'd be the only good thing he's ever done.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Comstar posted:

Nothing Russia can do will achieve any of the goals it wants, even tactical ones. But nuking Kyiv would give him a few minutes satisfaction.

Mmm. I think this misunderstands Russian chauvinism, Kyiv is a beautiful Russian city for them. The nukes will land on the "nazi" units or on a Western capital.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Carmant posted:

https://youtu.be/qEfPBt9dU60

This, but Russian

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Who cares about the moon name one thing the moon has ever done for us.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Capt.Whorebags posted:

If Putin were completely unhinged I dont think his flunkies would continue following his instructions

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grip it and rip it posted:

If Putin were completely unhinged I dont think his flunkies would continue following his instructions

Counterpoint: The previous US president

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Outrail posted:

Counterpoint II: Most dictators ever

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/AAhronheim/status/1575893236383506432

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

...and?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Carmant posted:

Good

gently caress the moon

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Good

gently caress the moon

https://youtu.be/9sEINMGorTE

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Outrail posted:

The DoD stopped giving Trump escalatory responses in his security briefings after he blew up Qassim Suleimani, because they recognized that they were dealing with a loving idiot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The DoD stopped giving Trump escalatory responses in his security briefings after he blew up Qassim Suleimani, because they recognized that they were dealing with a loving idiot.

The DoD had not been fully purged at that point yet

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That's just pre-emptively not following instructions.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Outrail posted:

Who cares about the moon name one thing the moon has ever done for us.

Hey I like cheese ok

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Putin's going to get shot if he loses the war, so he's going to keep escalating because in escalation there is a chance he might win. He's being extremely rational for his personal situation.
I don't think there's any reason to think that's true. If he declared victory and retreated everybody today, he'd be embarrassed and maybe lose some internal soft power, but no Russian general is going to go "That retreat makes me think this trainwreck of a war is worse than it was yesterday, it's coup time!"

Putin trying to order a nuclear strike on the other hand, does have an increased chance of a general saying "This might escalate and end badly for me personally. Is obeying more or less dangerous than trying to do something about it?". Attempting a nuclear attack is more likely to get Putin coup'ed than declaring victory and retreating.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think there's any reason to think that's true. If he backed down, he'd be embarrassed and maybe lose some internal soft power, but no Russian general is going to go "That saber rattling makes me think this trainwreck of diplomacy is worse than it was yesterday, it's coup time!"

Putin trying to order an invasion on the other hand, does have an increased chance of a general saying "This might escalate and end badly for me personally. Is obeying more or less dangerous than trying to do something about it?". Attempting an invasion of Ukraine is more likely to get Putin coup'ed than quietly swallowing Ukraine from the edges.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think there's any reason to think that's true. If he declared victory and retreated everybody today, he'd be embarrassed and maybe lose some internal soft power, but no Russian general is going to go "That retreat makes me think this trainwreck of a war is worse than it was yesterday, it's coup time!"

Putin trying to order a nuclear strike on the other hand, does have an increased chance of a general saying "This might escalate and end badly for me personally. Is obeying more or less dangerous than trying to do something about it?". Attempting a nuclear attack is more likely to get Putin coup'ed than declaring victory and retreating.

The generals aren't the issue, the ultra-nationalists are. Why do you think he mobilized? They've been braying for it for weeks. Now they're braying for nukes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

wins32767 posted:

The generals aren't the issue

quote:

Curtis LeMay (1906-1990) was a United States Air Force general.

[...]

LeMay’s Strategic Air Command was ready to bomb North Korea, except for one crucial step: it had no nuclear bombs. Though the military protected the bombs with guards and fences, it did not have access to them. LeMay said in retirement, “These bombs were too horrible and too dangerous to entrust to the military. They were under lock and key of the Atomic Energy Commission.” LeMay wanted bombs ready to be loaded into the hatches of his bombardment crews at any time.

Dropping nuclear bombs on major North Korean cities was also LeMay’s idea to force an end to the Korean War at its inception. His superiors demurred; such an attack would be too bloody, and cost too many civilian lives.

[...]

LeMay continued to be a strong advocate for use of nuclear weapons. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, LeMay tried to goad President Kennedy into bombing the missile sites in Cuba. LeMay believed that a massive display of US force would force the Soviets into capitulation. Kennedy was more cautious; the blockade worked and the crisis passed. Early in the Vietnam War, he advocated widespread bombing of key North Vietnamese industrial and military targets; President Johnson thought that this would draw the USSR and China into the war. LeMay wanted to threaten to North Vietnam that they stop aggression or “We’ll bomb them back into the Stone Age.” Outspoken and unpopular, he retired in 1965.

During the 1968 election, LeMay joined Alabama Governor and infamous segregationist George Wallace as vice-presidential running mate. Wallace and LeMay ran as part of the newly-established American Independent Party. Both were controversial candidates: Wallace opposed federally-enforced desegregation, while LeMay called for use of nuclear weapons on North Vietnam. They won 13.5% of the popular vote and won five states in the Deep South--a strong showing for a third party.

:allears:

Though LeMay was a general in a military that was still somewhat de-coupled from the civilian administration, presumably Putin has purged the Russian military from independent thinkers of this calibre.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:laffo: Literally the Nuke General from C&C Generals!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Curtis LeMay was almost a caricature of a war hawk.

Dude just loved bombing poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1575861091669749760

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a path to deescalation anymore? Seems like Russia's gone all in, and there's no space to negotiate. The only way out is defeat, and then pray that Russia doesn't launch

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tractor fanatic posted:

Is there a path to deescalation anymore? Seems like Russia's gone all in, and there's no space to negotiate. The only way out is defeat, and then pray that Russia doesn't launch

It seems like Putin has backed himself into a corner for no good reason. Before the referendums you could perhaps envisage Ukraine ceding the separatist Donbas, its claim to Crimea, and its bid to join NATO permanently; pleasing nobody but at least being enough to stop the fighting. Trouble is Putin just made a big showing about how a bunch of other regions are Russia's permanently, backtracking on that would be political suicide for him. Honestly, the way the Russians have been behaving over the past few weeks is making it seem like that they are going to launch nukes regardless and want to soften the blow to the population. The referendums had nothing to do with proving anything internationally, to Russia it was all about domestic justification. Hopefully that is not the whole story though, since nukes would trigger a massive conventional response by the west and assuming nukes don't start flying left and right, would end Russia's ambitions in Ukraine overnight.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

qhat posted:

It seems like Putin has backed himself into a corner for no good reason. Before the referendums you could perhaps envisage Ukraine ceding the separatist Donbas, its claim to Crimea, and its bid to join NATO permanently; pleasing nobody but at least being enough to stop the fighting. Trouble is Putin just made a big showing about how a bunch of other regions are Russia's permanently, backtracking on that would be political suicide for him. Honestly, the way the Russians have been behaving over the past few weeks is making it seem like that they are going to launch nukes regardless and want to soften the blow to the population. The referendums had nothing to do with proving anything internationally, to Russia it was all about domestic justification. Hopefully that is not the whole story though, since nukes would trigger a massive conventional response by the west and assuming nukes don't start flying left and right, would end Russia's ambitions in Ukraine overnight.

According to this NY Times article, the likely response would be providing Ukraine weapons able to counterattack where tactical nukes are launched and unplugging Russia from the world economy

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/world/europe/washington-putin-nuclear-threats.html

quote:

But in background conversations, a range of officials suggested that if Russia detonated a tactical nuclear weapon on Ukrainian soil, the options included unplugging Russia from the world economy or some kind of military response — though one that would most likely be delivered by the Ukrainians with Western-provided, conventional weapons.

Here's another article from a week ago that has other options considered

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/us/politics/us-russia-nuclear.html

quote:

For months, administration officials have said they could think of almost no circumstances in which a nuclear detonation by Russia would result in a nuclear response. But there has been discussion of several non-nuclear military responses — using conventional weapons, for example, against a base or unit from which the attack originated, or giving the Ukrainian forces the weaponry to launch that counterattack. In the minds of many officials, any use of nuclear weapons would require a forceful military response.

But many of the options under discussion also involve nonmilitary steps, casting Mr. Putin as an international pariah who broke the nuclear taboo for the first time in 77 years. It would be a chance, some officials say, to bring China and India, along with much of Asia and Africa, into the effort to impose sanctions on Russia, cutting off some of the biggest markets that remain for its oil and gas.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My guess is that US Diplomats have talked to China and India about this possibility too. Because that is the last stumbling block to cutting off Russia completely. I guess better to be prepared than not and what you want your responses to be.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

According to this NY Times article, the likely response would be providing Ukraine weapons able to counterattack where tactical nukes are launched and unplugging Russia from the world economy

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/world/europe/washington-putin-nuclear-threats.html

Here's another article from a week ago that has other options considered

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/us/politics/us-russia-nuclear.html

Direct nuclear retaliation for use of a tactical nuke would make no sense whatsoever, but the concern remains. Any use of Tactical Nukes absolutely must induce a disproportionate response which would push the Moscow regime further in its corner, theoretically making it more likely for them to deploy strategic nukes.

If the reaction is proportionate, then it puts the credibility of current deterrence doctrines into question. There is no scenario involving Tac Nukes use by Russia that doesn't suck immensely.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Next step on the ladder: conduct a nuclear weapons test.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Though I may have got ahead of myself.

Next step on to the road to a 1918 revolution: not feeding, housing, arming or leading your armies, so they start to elect their own leaders when you want to send them on one last honorable attack on the enemy.

How long did it take from the German navy started to elect their own leaders, before the Kaiser fled to the Netherlands?

And what country will Putin flee too? Saudi Arabia?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Comstar posted:

Ukraine, noone will suspect

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1578188802836791296
:w00t:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Pretty sure that's a shot across the bow to Putin.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Comstar posted:

Though I may have got ahead of myself.

Next step on to the road to a 1918 revolution: not feeding, housing, arming or leading your armies, so they start to elect their own leaders when you want to send them on one last honorable attack on the enemy.

How long did it take from the German navy started to elect their own leaders, before the Kaiser fled to the Netherlands?

He's sending ethnic minorities to fight for him, and he's got Chechnya's TikTok superstars to keep them from retreating. If they succeed, good. If they fail, oh well, just some guys from fuckoff nowhere. These guys aren't soldiers, they're literally randos too inept or unlucky to get out of it, and the Russian public will see them as Steppeland Sheep fuckers before they see them as liberators.

Worst case scenario is a very embarrassing defeat of his plan to gobble up Ukraine, but I doubt anyone will try to move on him or let the people get too uppity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
What's going on with Ukraine? I thought Russia was losing but suddenly everything I hear is about Ukraine being attacked?