Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

(seriouspost maybe next time i'm in NYC but not a lot of good cocktail spots out in the suburbs)

It doesn't need to be a particularly good cocktail spot, any place with a full bar will have Chartreuse, and ordering a green Chartreuse on the rocks for dessert is a hell of a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I searched this thread for recipes using Midori but couldn't find much. Other than a Midori sour is there anything that it goes well with?

Pineapple and rum?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Somebody tell me I’m a fuckin idiot because I got obsessed with clear ice over the last 6 months and have now perfected my clear ice but now I want one of these: Brass Ice Stamp but I also don’t want to spend $200 when I can buy more alcohol with it. I don’t want an ice stamp but I want something I can lay ice down like this, does anybody have anything that’s a little cheaper?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That doesn’t even seem that expensive. A 1’ long 4” wide 3/8” thick piece of lead free brass is $150 on McMaster-Carr.

Check AliExpress maybe?

edit: lol US $54.60 30% Off | Bar Ice Stamp Brass Ice Plate Honeycomb Ice Mold Branding DIY Cocktails Whiskey Ice Printing Stamping Bar Tools Carving Icecube
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNHbq8o

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I searched this thread for recipes using Midori but couldn't find much. Other than a Midori sour is there anything that it goes well with?

Don't know if my post was one of the ones you found, but

Human Tornada posted:

How about a Basic Beach

.75 lime juice
1.75 pineapple juice
.75 Midori
.75 Banana liqueur (Giffard)
.75 silver rum (Don Q cristal)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Those are cool. Do you need to apply any heat or just set them on there for a bit? I recently got the owner of our company excited about clear ice and he bought an insulated mold. I might cut our logo into a piece of brass for him as a gift.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

No heat required, generally. My local place (currently closed due to a fire this summer, sadly) has/had these big copper sphere makers. Just gravity and copper. They're massive and beautiful.

With highly (heat) conductive metals, just contact and pressure does all the work.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Chemmy posted:

That doesn’t even seem that expensive. A 1’ long 4” wide 3/8” thick piece of lead free brass is $150 on McMaster-Carr.

Check AliExpress maybe?

edit: lol US $54.60 30% Off | Bar Ice Stamp Brass Ice Plate Honeycomb Ice Mold Branding DIY Cocktails Whiskey Ice Printing Stamping Bar Tools Carving Icecube
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNHbq8o

haha more like I've already been made fun of for spending $50+ on a clear ice cube maker but this might take the cake
Might as well buy it and support smaller businesses, it's that or another 4 bottles of smith and cross

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Personally I wouldn’t be buying metal food products off of AliExpress unless I was confident in my ability to confirm their composition.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

adnam posted:

haha more like I've already been made fun of for spending $50+ on a clear ice cube maker but this might take the cake
Might as well buy it and support smaller businesses, it's that or another 4 bottles of smith and cross
What would one look for if one were interested in clear ice cubes even though one's wife already thinks one's obsession with phat ice cubes is silly.

Just a hypothetical, nothing to do with me at all.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

What would one look for if one were interested in clear ice cubes even though one's wife already thinks one's obsession with phat ice cubes is silly.

Just a hypothetical, nothing to do with me at all.

Great question! If you have a lot of freezer space you can DIY with a cooler but that took up too much room and I don't like chipping at large ice blocks if I can help it
If you're like me and the missus has graciously allowed all use of a top shelf, I purchased On The Rocks Ice Maker which does pretty well for my usually self or self+1 needs. I just use hot tap water and it has yielded pretty great clear ice for the last year or so. There's a lot of similar/cheaper ones and honestly the basic principle is the same so you could theoretically get away with the generic version of the above

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Similarly, I was gifted this one, and like it a lot. It's very clear, which is nice, and looks great in the glass. Also check your local area, before I got that, occasionally I'd put an order in at a local ice spot, they might do residential and it's not cheap, but it's fun for special occasions. Plus they'll do spears!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Carillon posted:

Similarly, I was gifted this one, and like it a lot. It's very clear, which is nice, and looks great in the glass. Also check your local area, before I got that, occasionally I'd put an order in at a local ice spot, they might do residential and it's not cheap, but it's fun for special occasions. Plus they'll do spears!

I also have this ice mold and it works a treat. Takes two days to make four cubes, but it’s much cheaper than most of the alternatives and produces a higher quality cube to boot. Plus, you can use the excess opaque ice it creates for stirring and shaking.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I also have this ice mold and it works a treat. Takes two days to make four cubes, but it’s much cheaper than most of the alternatives and produces a higher quality cube to boot. Plus, you can use the excess opaque ice it creates for stirring and shaking.

I have this dream of using the massive left-over opaque ice for a giant holiday punch float at a holiday party or something similar but who am I kidding, I have 1 friend and 3 cats so it's pretty much just me crying into my fancily decorated punchbowl every Thanksgiving

Anyways I bought Giffard's Liquer du Banagne and made a bunch of banana rum old fashioneds and banana daiquiris. I actually drank a little bit over ice cause it was surprisingly tasty.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get a dog.
Walk the dog.
Meet other people with dogs.
Talk to other people with dogs.
If you like the other people with dogs, invite them over to make them a yummy cocktail.
Make friends.

As an adult, I'd struggled to make new friends in a new area. But accidentally falling into those instructions above worked really well.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

adnam posted:

I have this dream of using the massive left-over opaque ice for a giant holiday punch float at a holiday party or something similar but who am I kidding, I have 1 friend and 3 cats so it's pretty much just me crying into my fancily decorated punchbowl every Thanksgiving

Anyways I bought Giffard's Liquer du Banagne and made a bunch of banana rum old fashioneds and banana daiquiris. I actually drank a little bit over ice cause it was surprisingly tasty.

I have a similar problem where I throw parties with carefully considered themed cocktails that I do advanced prepwork on and then my friends all come over and drink PBR all night anyways.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a similar problem where I throw parties with carefully considered themed cocktails that I do advanced prepwork on and then my friends all come over and drink PBR all night anyways.

I made my dad limoncello a couple years ago after he came back from Italy dripping in the stuff. Sous-vide, hand-carved organic lemons, rich syrup the whole monty and poured into little ikea glass bottles w/ a nice label to boot. I visited him a week later and he had poured the individual bottles into a 7-11 big gulp and added some ice and asked me if I wanted some. :sigh:

My other favorite friends who don't appreciate cocktails story is when I had pre-batched tiki cocktails and came back to people pouring them 1:1 w/ soda because 'they were too strong', that one was great

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*gets poured shot of macallan 25, chugs it*

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Imma make a Last Word tonight, over ice :twisted:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

*gets poured shot of macallan 25, chugs it*

My mother in law did a shot of 2 oz of Louis the XIII about a year ago. In her defense, nobody told her exactly what it was (but the vintage crystal goblet was a good tell, imho), but she's great, so we just poured her another one.
For all you Costco-ites, I recently found this stocked near me Kirkland Signature Islay Single-Malt and for sub $40 it's a fantastic deal. Great neat, or as a highball.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

prayer group posted:

. You might try replacing half the vermouth in a Manhattan with it, and balance its richness with a spicy high-proof rye as the base spirit.

Oh hey that's not half-bad with rye, thank you!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Right on! Glad that worked for you.

Let this be a lesson to y'all! Instead of just straight 1:1 subbing when trying to make a new bottle work in a drink, make like a gymnast and do the splits. Split the bitter part of a Negroni between the Campari and another amaro. Split the vermouth part with a sherry. Hell, split the gin part with something crazy. Gin and Jamaican white rum work impossibly well together in many contexts. Could an apple brandy Negroni be good? Why not find out? Get weird! A big part in getting good at making cocktails is understanding why things don't work, so let your failures be as constructive as your successes.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 29, 2022

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Waltzing Along posted:

Get a cask of Amontillado.
Brag about the cask.
Meet your rivals.
Talk to your rivals about Amontillado.
If you hate your despicable rivals, invite them over to make them a yummy cocktail.
Make friends their screams echo into the bowels of the earth as you wall them off for all of time.

As an adult, I'd struggled to make new friends in a new area. But accidentally falling into those instructions above worked really well.

Fixed that for you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
How long does a cask of amontillado last once tapped? Asking for a friend...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have rabbits because I like drinking alone

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How long does a cask of amontillado last once tapped? Asking for a friend...

Just get a delicious cask of Madeira, it’s already fully oxidized.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made a thing, but I feel it needs some tweaking:

4 - milk
1 - mr black
1 - creme de cacao
1/2 - hersheys syrup

The drink ended up too chocolately. I think the syrup should have been 1/4 at most. But it also seems like it could be tweaked more.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Uhhhhh just go down to 1/1/1 milk/coffee liqueur/cacao and you'll have something in between a Mudslide and a White Russian. What you've made is chocolate milk that also happens to have some liquor in it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I wouldn't use the syrup at all, Mr Black is already chocolateyish, creme de cacao emphasizes it, and the syrup just is too much.

I also don't like drinking straight milk, esp not 4 oz, but I guess you're specifically aiming for a milkshake vibe?

My own drink would be
1.5 oz Mr black
1 oz bourbon
1 oz half and half
.5 oz sweet vermouth (carpano antica)
.25 oz creme de cacao

But that's a dessert cocktail, not a milkshake. If I had to do milkshake:

3 oz milk
1.5 oz Mr black
.75 oz sweet.vermouth
.25 oz creme de cacao
.25 oz creme de.menthe
1 drop vanilla extract
Shake with ice, garnish with one more small drop of extract.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like any time I try to make a fancy cocktail that has coffee liqueur and dairy, it just turns out to be a slightly different (worse) White Russian. Probably should just embrace it I guess

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pander posted:

3 oz milk
1.5 oz Mr black
.75 oz sweet.vermouth
.25 oz creme de cacao
.25 oz creme de.menthe
1 drop vanilla extract
Shake with ice, garnish with one more small drop of extract.

I think I'll try this next. And I have everything on hand including the opened, slowly dying, bottle of vermouth.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Add a whole egg if you want more of a milkshake vibe too

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

As someone with an overactive pancreas, some of these cocktails make me sleepy just reading the recipes 🤣

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I would add .25 Louisa's in there too. But maybe that's a regional liqueur.

I just found out about this. I can't wait to make some orange peels without fear of slicing a finger open: https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/my-new-favorite-citrus-peeler/

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Professor Wayne posted:

I would add .25 Louisa's in there too. But maybe that's a regional liqueur.

I just found out about this. I can't wait to make some orange peels without fear of slicing a finger open: https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/my-new-favorite-citrus-peeler/
Huh. I've never come close to slicing my fingers. Maybe it's technique? I have a specific way of peeling that just involves rotating the fruit slowly as the peeler is held stationary. No fingers get anywhere near the peeler.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sounds like they were maybe just using a knife instead of a peeler?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
yep. i've never sliced open a finger with a normal peeler and made a permanent scar . definitely a knife

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It happens. Do it enough times, especially under pressure and maybe with wet hands. I’ve shaved off half my pinky nail, or slipped and cut a chunk out of a knuckle. Mind you I’ve made thousands of twists and those are the only 2 I can think of.

It’s especially daunting for people who have never done it. Just takes practice. I’m sure you’ve all cut yourself in dumb ways while chopping something.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The Maestro posted:

It happens. Do it enough times, especially under pressure and maybe with wet hands. I’ve shaved off half my pinky nail, or slipped and cut a chunk out of a knuckle. Mind you I’ve made thousands of twists and those are the only 2 I can think of.

It’s especially daunting for people who have never done it. Just takes practice. I’m sure you’ve all cut yourself in dumb ways while chopping something.

Yeah, I only garnish for myself at home, so I take my time. If I had to actually produce a volume of twists I'd eventually get careless, like when I took the tip of a finger off with a mandolin on the very last cucumber out of like 50 prepping for a luncheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was doing some searching and saw some discussion of CO2 canisters came up; I have *6* empty sodastream canisters because I was a lazy dummy and didn't exchange them when I went to get new ones. Are these theoretically refillable? I'd just prefer to maybe exchange them or pawn them off to someone else, but I'm open to just having a stockpile of CO2 I cycle through until I decide whether to invest into a larger industrial canister.