Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Peanut Butler posted:

well iirc the idea was that it's not the making of the lines that requires an aerial view, it's viewing and appreciating the lines that would indicate some kind of aerial craft
but I think that loops back into a 'this is how we enjoy the nazca lines- from airplanes. it must be how the original creators enjoyed them, too' fallacy

They weren't even discovered until someone was flying around in an airplane and was like oh poo poo a giant cat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hey! Those aren't for you! Those are for gods! Stop looking!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

he's eating the track but then there's also a track under him so at some point obscured by the train that track becomes two tracks with one stacked on the other and I just don't see the practical purpose for a design like that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BrainDance posted:

he's eating the track but then there's also a track under him so at some point obscured by the train that track becomes two tracks with one stacked on the other and I just don't see the practical purpose for a design like that?

Yeah I was noticing that after I posted it. In the show it just disgorges the track into its hands and sets it down in front of itself, like the post before was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-8PEPNyxU

Whoever made this graphic needs to be called onto the carpet, they've hosed it.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 26, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

If I ever have Bezos bucks I'm going full bester with it. Laying track for my private train car a mile ahead and pulling it up a mile behind.

Just build a train with a caterpillar track of rails around it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I was noticing that after I posted it. In the show it just disgorges the track into its hands and sets it down in front of itself, like the post before was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-8PEPNyxU

Whoever made this graphic needs to be called onto the carpet, they've hosed it.

ohhhhhhh now it makes sense I am an old man so any childrens programming with 3d models in it I do not understand

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's ugly as sin, too, but this is far "off track" from the thread topic, sorry for the derail.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gaius Marius posted:

If I ever have Bezos bucks I'm going full bester with it. Laying track for my private train car a mile ahead and pulling it up a mile behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrmZIgVoQw4&t=90s

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
https://twitter.com/cwjones89/status/1575772235171651584

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peanut Butler posted:

it's not just that, dirigibles were also very prone to sudden changes in atmospheric conditions- the Hindenburg is the example we think of for why the public lost faith in the technology, and it was, but it was far from the only incident- it just happened to be both a spectacular immolation -and- had journalists on the scene to record its arrival, sending that film as newsreels around the world. When you look into the history of dirigible craft, it's a lot of oopsies

now, we have much better modeling and forecasting than a century ago, but we still collectively can be surprised by a front shift, and these things matter more when a trip halfway around the globe takes half a week. Airplane gets a lil turbulence, everyone's fine- digirible might follow that turbulence directly into the ocean

That makes sense, on top of all the problems with blimps even Archer pointed out; they're slow, fragile, expensive, and have huge maintenance needs compared to planes, I wager. You basically have all the downsides of air travel AND travel by sail when you're that reliant on the wind. And now I'm reminded of that Pokemon two-parter where Team Rocket's boss puts them in charge of the zeppelin division- which he hasn't bothered to maintain anything about in years except their insurance policies.

I feel like this definitely works in ancient times as it does now; people love monkeys and showing off monkeys gets their attention.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prince Ali al-Bhagwa demonstrated this principle at some length

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"I, the mighty Ashurnasirpal, made monkeys gently caress."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

"I, the mighty Ashurnasirpal, made monkeys gently caress."

every moment you are trying to make monkeys gently caress is a moment you aren't flaying people so maybe don't criticize.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lotium spadonis means enunuch's piss, nice.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

uber_stoat posted:

every moment you are trying to make monkeys gently caress is a moment you aren't flaying people so maybe don't criticize.

Is the first one literally ranting against a specific grammatical construction?

"Oh you loving ablative!"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
not sure i've read a single argument about how bad blimps/airships/zeppelins are here that counteracts "they look really cool"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lady Radia posted:

not sure i've read a single argument about how bad blimps/airships/zeppelins are here that counteracts "they look really cool"

There's a reason the remaining uses for them are for advertising purposes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

Ice Cube agrees.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Is the first one literally ranting against a specific grammatical construction?

"Oh you loving ablative!"

I think anyone learning a highly inflected language has had something like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

Long loiter time for surveillance

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Howdy thread, I just started reading Korea, a History by Eugene Y. Park, and I’m a bit iffy on his take on ancient Korean history. He attributes a lot to debris in the atmosphere. Here’s a pic with a few examples circled:

I’m having a bit of a hard time finding anything to back this up. Are there records of “asteroid debris falling from the sky greatly [decreasing] around 600 BCE”? Anywhere where I can find historical records of asteroid debris fields? Would this have been something the Greeks were dealing with as well? Is Mr. Park pulling this out of his rear end?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I never heard of such a thing, although it's entirely possible the Solar System was passing through a patch of denser-than-usual interstellar bullshit at some point in human history. I thought shooting stars weren't that rare, we just don't see them much any more due to light pollution. I've seen all of two in my life.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

pogi posted:

Howdy thread, I just started reading Korea, a History by Eugene Y. Park, and I’m a bit iffy on his take on ancient Korean history. He attributes a lot to debris in the atmosphere. Here’s a pic with a few examples circled:

I’m having a bit of a hard time finding anything to back this up. Are there records of “asteroid debris falling from the sky greatly [decreasing] around 600 BCE”? Anywhere where I can find historical records of asteroid debris fields? Would this have been something the Greeks were dealing with as well? Is Mr. Park pulling this out of his rear end?

Check out Ages in Chaos and Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky for some great sky based pseudoscience.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

I never heard of such a thing, although it's entirely possible the Solar System was passing through a patch of denser-than-usual interstellar bullshit at some point in human history. I thought shooting stars weren't that rare, we just don't see them much any more due to light pollution. I've seen all of two in my life.

i used to see them all the time because i was frequently outside and looked up a lot

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole with my spouse and I figure I can save some labor by asking more knowledgeable goons: is Ajax the first literary suicide?

I'm asking because a kid named Ajax is being a bully to our kid and I'm like "Ajax is still a name?" and he's like, "That's such a stereotypical bully name" and I'm like "Nah, he was really strong but went out like a bitch." But I had forgotten how he went out (I misidentified it initially as losing a fight with Heracles). Then I felt bad because I remembered how he actually went out.

Obvs gonna be difficult to separate what we mean by "literary". I'm sure the Shujing has characters commit suicide but 1) is that 'literature' or is it more of a 'history'? This is with recognizing that the same could be said of the Greek Epic Poems but at least the two we have are a lot more interesting to read than the loving Shujing which even during the Axial Age scholars were saying was a boring loving read and 2) what is older than what is tricky to resolve in an oral tradition. Plus 3) I've got a pretty OK familiarity for a non-academic on ancient Greco-Roman and Chinese literature but there is a whole world outside of those spheres. Not sure where to ask but figured this would be a good starting point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The entire nature of that post is weird at best or maybe totally hosed up

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Given he just ate a month probe for other weird stuff I wouldn't worry about replying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just ignore shbobd posts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

Just ignore shbobd posts

Was he the guy who explained the Uvalde school shooting by analogy to Dwarf Fortress? because if so, this is bad advice

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
https://twitter.com/IrisKamil/status/1579119499529555968/photo/2

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IDGI, is she saying "I could afford to ignore lessons as I'm the daughter of the king, but you're only a daughter-in-law so you better keep studying?"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I made my 11-year-old a corinthian-style helmet out of cardboard, and those things are seriously unnerving.
(The blank-faced helmets, I mean, not the kids)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kaschei posted:

IDGI, is she saying "I could afford to ignore lessons as I'm the daughter of the king, but you're only a daughter-in-law so you better keep studying?"

I think it’s either “you’re making me look bad” or “stay in your lane”.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tree Bucket posted:

I made my 11-year-old a corinthian-style helmet out of cardboard, and those things are seriously unnerving.
(The blank-faced helmets, I mean, not the kids)

People were the same back then as now, and those helmets were absolutely seen as cool if they were on your side, and scary as gently caress if they were not. Just a bunch of seemingly faceless robots coming for you.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Forget Corinthian helmets, those Roman cavalry helmets are just weird:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just a massive collection of empty eye holes marching straight at you.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I like the Phrygian helmets with the built in beard mask, just imagine a big block of dudes with dongs on their heads and bronze beards marching at you with terrifyingly long spears, must have been terrifying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Since helmets chat is already going on, how did they manage the tradeoff between blind spots and protection that helmets/visors would have?

Like are the roman cavalry helmets ceremonial or actual battle ones? How badly do eye slits as such block your peripheral vision, and is that as much a problem for cavalry who I would assume aren't as worried about attacks coming in from the side as there riding in large formations?

Is there any literature on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The Roman cavalry masks are explicitly ceremonial, they were used for festivals and parade demonstrations and such, they were not for combat use. I've seen pictures of masks that seemed intended to fit inside a typical open-face Roman helmet, matching up with the cheek pieces, so that you didn't need an entire ceremonial helmet, but I'm not sure if these were typical.