Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

runaway dog posted:

talking about how the thumb button is a paddle like on the basilisk, though to a lesser degree.

For the Basilisk V3 it's just a button. Still kind of too short, I can't comfortably hit it in games unless I'm playing with a claw grip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

change my name posted:

For the Basilisk V3 it's just a button. Still kind of too short, I can't comfortably hit it in games unless I'm playing with a claw grip

Dang that actually kind of sucks for me, it was the 1 thing I felt they did unquestionably better than the 502, aside from the switches. Also didn't realize the new ultimate is the v3 pro.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
Are controllers Mice? I feel like they are.

I bought a Razer Wolverine V2 Chroma and both thumb sticks have broken off, and the A button has managed to get a dead body underneath it.

What controller can I use that makes transitioning to consoles not 100% absolute poo poo?

Edit: it's not like im throwing this POS across the room. It's in my hand and no... doing anything specials on my Xbox or my PC

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nazattack posted:

Are controllers Mice? I feel like they are.

I bought a Razer Wolverine V2 Chroma and both thumb sticks have broken off, and the A button has managed to get a dead body underneath it.

What controller can I use that makes transitioning to consoles not 100% absolute poo poo?

Edit: it's not like im throwing this POS across the room. It's in my hand and no... doing anything specials on my Xbox or my PC

as someone with a wolverine v2 what the gently caress did you do to it, that thing is built like a tank

edit: i know razer has quality control issues but if you physically BROKE both thumb sticks i genuinely would make sure you're not crushing the controller with your fists of lead or something

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

as someone with a wolverine v2 what the gently caress did you do to it, that thing is built like a tank

edit: i know razer has quality control issues but if you physically BROKE both thumb sticks i genuinely would make sure you're not crushing the controller with your fists of lead or something

Yeah that was my initial reaction as well. I've got the original Wolverine Ultimate but it's been used and abused for 2 1/2 years now and the rubber back's not even peeling (yet). It's easily the most robust peripheral I've owned in recent memory.

Aren't the sticks hot-swappable on both the V1 and V2 Wolverine? I can't imagine physically breaking them before they just sort of...magnetically decoupled from the controller first.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

G502 X was just delivered, so far I'm finding it way more comfortable than the Basilisk V3 and the original G502. My thumb rests right behind the paddle and I'm able to use it without adjusting my grip like with the Basilisk.

Weight feels good and balanced, its no 40g honeycomb mouse but its not a brick with teflon feet.

Not sure how long it will last, but the left and right mouse buttons have a solid snap back and a decently loud click. There's a little bit of pre-click travel but nothing you'd notice with regular use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah that was my initial reaction as well. I've got the original Wolverine Ultimate but it's been used and abused for 2 1/2 years now and the rubber back's not even peeling (yet). It's easily the most robust peripheral I've owned in recent memory.

Aren't the sticks hot-swappable on both the V1 and V2 Wolverine? I can't imagine physically breaking them before they just sort of...magnetically decoupled from the controller first.

That's a thing on the Chroma and the Ultimate, which neither of us have. So maybe the OP just accidentally disconnected them without knowing it?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Is there an inherent limitation in Bluetooth standards that prevents wireless mice from not being terrible when operating in that mode? I just picked up a Razer Orochi V2 to use as a laptop travel mouse, and while it seems to be pretty great when used with the 2.4 GHz dongle at any DPI or polling rate I've thrown at it, Bluetooth mode is no better than the $15 Amazon specials I've been using up to this point. In Bluetooth mode, the cursor seems to update at uneven intervals and/or move across the screen at an inconsistent rate. I think I succeeded at capturing it on video. Let me know if it needs further explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5j926rz1uY

Pointer precision also seems to be a problem, even with Windows mouse sensitivity in the lower range (i.e. 5 out of 20) and the cursor will occasionally jump by multiple pixels when making small movements.

The last mouse I tried was a Razer Atheris, but that was several months ago and I can't remember if it had the same problem. Like the Orochi, it operated in both 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth modes, but I seem to remember it working equally well in both. I didn't get to spend much time with it, however. I had to return it for unrelated reasons (the mouse wheel scraped during use--whose brilliant idea was it to make the sidewall of the scroll wheel stationary and give it a tolerance of less than 0.2mm where it meets the moving bits despite the whole assembly being made of plastic?).

The Orochi was an Amazon Renewed product and that may very well answer my own question as to what is wrong with this thing, but this isn't exactly an intermittent fault. It just performs consistently poorly while operating in Bluetooth mode. But so has every other Bluetooth mouse I've tried in recent memory, with possible exception of the Atheris I tried.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 28, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zorilla posted:

Is there an inherent limitation in Bluetooth standards that prevents [bluetooth thing] from not being terrible

yes

Bluetooth mode on any gaming mouse is there for backup / extended battery time / using your favorite mouse with a business laptop so you don't have to unplug the dongle from the back of your gaming desktop / other extremely secondary purposes. Just because it is on a fancy expensive mouse, don't expect it to work better than a $10 no-name.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Well, that sucks. I wouldn't exactly call Bluetooth an edge case in 2022 where your typical laptop has an average of maybe 1 1/2 USB Type-A ports on it (or zero of you include my work-provided MacBook Pro) and mobile work environments are becoming more common. I thought decent performance from Bluetooth input devices was a modest request well over 10 years ago and would have loved to have it even then, but it seems like the only thing that has improved in that span of time is battery life and not much else.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Odds are you are getting interference from something. Bluetooth operates on a single frequency at a time, so if something interferes and it has to switch to a different frequency, it takes a moment while it re-connects essentially.

Most 2.4 GHz mice operate on two frequencies, so if one gets interference it still has a connection on the other.

Bluetooth is great as Klyith said, but for actual day to day use, nope. For your Macbook, get a dongle and run wireless.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Bluetooth controllers can actually have very low latency, totally competitive with wired controllers. For presumably power reasons most bluetooth devices are just trash. Maybe Razer doesn't want to bother making bluetooth perform well due to power, development cost, compatibility, or something similar. It would doubtless not be as good as their own wireless, but it probably is capable of being better than trash.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Koskun posted:

Odds are you are getting interference from something. Bluetooth operates on a single frequency at a time, so if something interferes and it has to switch to a different frequency, it takes a moment while it re-connects essentially.

Most 2.4 GHz mice operate on two frequencies, so if one gets interference it still has a connection on the other.

Bluetooth is great as Klyith said, but for actual day to day use, nope. For your Macbook, get a dongle and run wireless.

I have seen Bluetooth mice get really choppy during heavy network transfers, but that would make sense since I was connected to a 2.4 GHz network at the time and the radio would be trying to negotiate two connections on the same band essentially. Conversely, I've seen my internet connection mysteriously go flaky soon after turning on my Bluetooth headphones. Let's just say I make absolutely sure WiFi is on 5 GHz whenever possible now to avoid these situations.

The kind of performance issues I'm complaining about don't seen to be anywhere severe enough to be explained by interference. Plus, the experience is the same across at least four different machines and two locations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

K8.0 posted:

Bluetooth controllers can actually have very low latency, totally competitive with wired controllers. For presumably power reasons most bluetooth devices are just trash. Maybe Razer doesn't want to bother making bluetooth perform well due to power, development cost, compatibility, or something similar. It would doubtless not be as good as their own wireless, but it probably is capable of being better than trash.

If every device used high power wouldn't it just contribute to the problem.

Living in a house with a lot of roommates was a nightmare which got hilarious during the holidays when everyone seemed to have multiple fire sticks and god only knows how many collective bt devices.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zorilla posted:

I have seen Bluetooth mice get really choppy during heavy network transfers, but that would make sense since I was connected to a 2.4 GHz network at the time and the radio would be trying to negotiate two connections on the same band essentially. Conversely, I've seen my internet connection mysteriously go flaky soon after turning on my Bluetooth headphones. Let's just say I make absolutely sure WiFi is on 5 GHz whenever possible now to avoid these situations.

The kind of performance issues I'm complaining about don't seen to be anywhere severe enough to be explained by interference. Plus, the experience is the same across at least four different machines and two locations.

There's also antenna sharing, usually, WiFi and Bluetooth share the same antenna, but time-divided.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I just took a Logitech MX Master 3S back to where I bought it because the scroll wheel broke within 2 months. I fully expected the store to dick me around with 'repairs' and whatever, but much to my surprise they simply gave me my money back.

Before I reluctantly try my luck with the QA lottery again, is there any other mouse I should be checking out?
As for why I landed on the MX Master 3 in the first place: the scroll wheels are nice, but I mostly got it because of ergonomics. After a bout with RSIs and coming to terms with the fact that I can't keep using my G502 for both work and gaming anymore, I tried several (cheap) vertical mice and discovered that I didn't like any of them, even after weeks of trying to get used to the whole vertical thing. The MX Master seems to be my happy medium in that regard, but this isn't my first Logitech mouse that had quality issues, so I'm open to alternatives.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Controller-wise I'd recommend 8bitdo's pro 2. Solid controller at a fine budget and has two back paddles, and you can completely reassign every button. Unfortunately I don't think they have anything compatible with the xbone's wireless standard?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been using the MX Master 3 for a year and it’s still working great. You can get the Anywhere or Triathlon if you don’t need the horizontal scroll wheel. Cheaper means a bad QA experience doesn’t hurt as much. Mouses are finicky enough that I don’t think any one brand holds the golden standard for reliability

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any specially recommended cloth mousepad or will pretty much anything do? I have a steelseries one about 10 years old that is getting pretty threadbare

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Some people will tell you that surface matters a lot. I'll tell you that what matters is size. I use a 4x2' mousepad and I don't think I'll ever go back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Some people will tell you that surface matters a lot. I'll tell you that what matters is size. I use a 4x2' mousepad and I don't think I'll ever go back.

I actually could never use a bigass mousepad because I need to keep the surface completely clean at all times or I'm extremely distracted and irritated by it. I've seen some beautiful bigass mousepads/deskpads and I love the concept but in execution I'd be pretty bothered by making sure there wasn't any dust or crumbs or whatever other little debris on it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Oh I am absolutely on team Big Mousepad. My current one is about 18x18 inches. Just wondering if there's any difference between brands or if they're all basically the same

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've had a Big glass mousepad for the last 5 months and I don't think I'm ever going back to Not Glass.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've had a Big glass mousepad for the last 5 months and I don't think I'm ever going back to Not Glass.

Skypads are rad. Steelseries SX was rad too but they don't offer that anymore. Anyway cloth mousepads are slow garbage.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

icantfindaname posted:

Oh I am absolutely on team Big Mousepad. My current one is about 18x18 inches. Just wondering if there's any difference between brands or if they're all basically the same

As you might guess that’s kind of a rabbit hole https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RAnmZxDNduaGV8kB-GCvZ0MO6d9-0j9jmrU2f8dp0Ww/htmlview#gid=0

But IMO just buy a steelseries qck in your size of choice

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

icantfindaname posted:

if you made a regular steelseries last 10 goddamn years I would say just buy the same thing but more often

like I'm kinda a fan of artisan mousepads for their durability, but even those only last 5 years for me (and they've gotten stupid-expensive since 2020 so I don't really think they're worth it anymore)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ain't pulling in bank streaming for a living but I'm pretty good at the vidya games, and I think mousepads aren't worth obsessing over. I'm using bigass cloth currently (qck3xl), regular size cloth before that, and nothing before that. It is kinda nice not having to worry about going over the edge, but I'd say stick to personal preference and dont bother obsessing over the travel smoothness of different materials and such.

I also play darts and theres a saying re: darts equipment, "if you think it works, it does", which I suppose isn't really specific to darts but you get my meaning. You may think something makes a difference but it could be purely placebo.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
With regards to performance, unless there's something you're noticing with your current mousepad holding you back or you're a pro gamer looking for that extra edge in tournaments, the difference between cloth mousepads is negligible. You might care about how the edges are sewn or their logo printing though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there anything that’s as close to a QCK large as possible but with sewn edges? The edges on mine are where it the most degraded, they’re slightly warped and the rubber underneath has some small chunks missing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Is there anything that’s as close to a QCK large as possible but with sewn edges? The edges on mine are where it the most degraded, they’re slightly warped and the rubber underneath has some small chunks missing

https://www.lttstore.com/products/deskpad

:shrug:

It gets pretty drat big.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I bought a black Corsair mousemat a while back which has been nice, but after a month I can see where my wrist rests because of the white outline (dead skin, honest!). My old, thinner QcK mat lasted for a trimester before it really needed some cleaning.

So now I use the Corsair most of the time, but once a month I swap it for the old QcK while it's drying.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 23, 2022

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

icantfindaname posted:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mousepads/qck-edge-series?size=l

They make qck with sewn edge now

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

isndl posted:

With regards to performance, unless there's something you're noticing with your current mousepad holding you back or you're a pro gamer looking for that extra edge in tournaments, the difference between cloth mousepads is negligible. You might care about how the edges are sewn or their logo printing though.

A mousepad with your own custom image is the pro move. Sike out the competition with your very own goatse mousepad. I might upgrade mine to one that also does sewn edges though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

halokiller posted:

A mousepad with your own custom image is the pro move. Sike out the competition with your very own goatse mousepad. I might upgrade mine to one that also does sewn edges though.

Make one of the sewn rings on the edge be gold

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm using a medium Steelseries pad with sewn edges I got for $10 and it's pretty good

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

change my name posted:

I'm using a medium Steelseries pad with sewn edges I got for $10 and it's pretty good

I would also like to express my fondness for that particular mousepad

edit: I just checked and I've been using mine for over three years

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ah, that looks good. Thanks

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does anyone have a cost-effective alternative to Razer's adhesive grip tape stickers? They're just the right amount of grippy without being tacky, and they seem to hold up well. I've put them on all my mice and controllers, including my new Steam Deck.

That said, $10 is a lot for less than 2"x4" of material when they could probably sell rolls of the stuff for not much more. I'm hoping someone knows of a way to get the material directly. I could even see applying the adhesive manually.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't use a mousepad because my mouse reads my desk surface just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't use a mousepad because my mouse reads my desk surface just fine.

I use a mousepad to not gently caress up the skates on my mouse, partially.