Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a reason why Google disabled Android Auto on phones other than "gently caress you, that's why"?
I guess they replaced it with Google Assistant Driving Mode, which looks like a massive improvement over the ancient AA app, but still lovely enough that I wouldn't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wish Driving Mode would give media controls to YouTube. I've been paying download and play YouTube in the background, let me have the media controls so I don't need to also have the floating window.

I suppose there's not a lot of incentive to make listening to YouTube audio compatible with driving.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I wish the Spotify integration that works in Google maps with car navigation also worked with cycling navigation. Why isn't that an option?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Cycling with headphones on is pretty dangerous.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I use a small speaker. It's more dangerous to try and fiddle between two apps. Plus tons of other people are cycling with headphones AND having to fiddle between two apps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

withoutclass posted:

I specifically have headphones that don't plug my ears and that let in outside noise, so I can hear well while riding.

I mean, I have a much better audio awareness then when doing 60 mph on a motorcycle and hearing nothing but wind (and now, a ringing in one ear...).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Re: that MrWhoseTheBossVideo I post earlier this week, MKBHD has taken it to his main channels as well

The working theory he says is that it seems to be mostly affecting Samsung phones that are stored away rather than being actively charged and discharged through use, which is nice at least.

Interested to see if Samsung addresses this at all now that multiple tech influencers are talking about it to their millions of subscribers.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Lowclock posted:

I guess they replaced it with Google Assistant Driving Mode, which looks like a massive improvement over the ancient AA app, but still lovely enough that I wouldn't use it.

Thanks. I didn't know the Maps app had Spotify integration, so I'll have to check that out. I pretty much only used Spotify + Navigation in AA anyway.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there an Android watch with good battery life, that syncs over WiFi?

I'm a weird little guy who keeps their phone turned off during work hours, but I still need a device that notifies me for meetings and work emails so I don't get fired.

Literally just calendar and email pings, so it doesn't need a great processor. I was leaning toward FitBit but they all seem like they operate on Bluetooth sync with a phone. This is my first smartwatch so I thought I'd bug you guys, the experts.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
probably not, but you'd better off asking in one of these
wear os thread
general wearables thread

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WearOS, even when syncing through Wifi, needs the phone to be on and connected in some way for cloud sync to work.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is there an Android watch with good battery life, that syncs over WiFi?

I'm a weird little guy who keeps their phone turned off during work hours, but I still need a device that notifies me for meetings and work emails so I don't get fired.

Literally just calendar and email pings, so it doesn't need a great processor. I was leaning toward FitBit but they all seem like they operate on Bluetooth sync with a phone. This is my first smartwatch so I thought I'd bug you guys, the experts.

When you say your phone is turned off, do you mean the screen is off and stays in your pocket?

If you mean physically turned off, how is a phone that's turned off supposed to sync with anything?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Quixzlizx posted:

When you say your phone is turned off, do you mean the screen is off and stays in your pocket?

If you mean physically turned off, how is a phone that's turned off supposed to sync with anything?

Completely turned off (I like to focus and get back to people after work so that I can work fewer hours). The watch just needs to sync to my calendar and email over wifi. Some Garmins do this but they also seem kinda overkill price-wise if you're not a runner.

bull3964 posted:

WearOS, even when syncing through Wifi, needs the phone to be on and connected in some way for cloud sync to work.

This is good to know

EDIT: The Apple Watch Series 3 is apparently the first gen of apple watch that is truly standalone, that might be one to look at. Android vs Apple is kinda irrelevant in my use case

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 30, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

withoutclass posted:

I'd rather people cycle with headphones than drive with phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

I'd rather people cycle with headphones than drive with phones.

uh how about we do neither

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
When did phones start having glass backs? And am I an idiot or is it the worst material possible to use for the back of a phone?

My last phone was pixel 2, which has a metal or plastic back. I recently got pixel 6. I had hoped to be able to survive with just a screen protector not a bit silicon case thing, like I did with my pixel 2. Obviously naive. But still even though I get that everyone uses a case these days I don't understand the logic behind having a back which is made of such a brittle material. Which presumably is not a good conductor for thermal regulation either? I guess it's just about the thing looking good in advertising materials?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 30, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol no one's gonna stop

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

El Grillo posted:

I guess it's just about the thing looking good in advertising materials?

Ding Ding Ding.

Since wireless charging is now a thing, metal is out. Reviewers who handle phones for 2 weeks and never have to worry about protecting them because they move on from them after that wax poetically over build quality and hand feel and if you don't want to have them say a phone isn't premium, then you need to have a glass/metal sandwich.

Plastic is considered a second tier material and if you want to charge more than $500 for a device, it normally has to have a glass back for it to not get raked over the coals in reviews.

Personally, I wish that Google would have continued down the design of the Pixel 5 with the metal unibody with bioresin coating.

Right now, about your only choice for a flagship level phone without a glass back is the Zenfone 9 and it's still dicey to get a hold of in the US and doesn't have a big update commitment.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i don't use a case, instead choosing to not drop my phone. the glass looks and feels nice, i prefer it

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Without a case, my phone is as smooth as a shark and glides off surfaces at the whisper of a breeze, completely frictionless.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Without a case, my phone is as smooth as a shark and glides off surfaces at the whisper of a breeze, completely frictionless.

I have a very, very thin case on my current phone cause my last one slipped out of my hand and cracked and they wanted more than the phone cost to repair it. Two weeks after I bought it.

This is the first case I've had on a phone since I got rid of my first dumb phone in like 2003.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I usually use Aramid fiber cases nowadays as my every day carry for grip and a little bit of protection with a more rugged case as backup if I'm going to be out and about for a prolonged period of time.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I just lick my fingers a bit like trying to turn the page of a book.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

If I use Pixel Pass to get a Google phone for my business (which is pretty deep into Google products) should I wait for it to include a Pixel 7, or just not worry about having a Pixel 6.

It would only be for work, and I'm not super worried about camera quality. Won't loving break, does smartphone poo poo adequately are my usage requirements. I mostly just don't want work stuff on my personal phone, and not worry about personal data/contacts getting mingled with business clients/data. The repair/replacement for accidental damage etc is part of the appeal of the Pixel Pass.

So should I wait a bit, or pull the trigger, or third option because I'm pretty dumb about Android? Thanks friends.

Fake edit: The Nexus 4 is the only Google phone I've used, and that ended with like an $8 class action settlement for lovely battery life.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Regarding cycling/driving/media control, in my car I just use a little bluetooth microcontroller and some buttons to send controls to my phone or whatever. Works with pretty much everything and I can just leave my phone in my pocket. There's probably some kind of commercially available solution if you don't want to program stuff.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 1, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
My own car is ancient enough that I'd rather not use the built in bluetooth solution.

I got a fairly cheap bluetooth adapter that runs off a USB port in the center console, and pipes aux audio out to the same.

The biggest QOL modification I made to that setup was to get a cheap USB rocker power switch to put between the two. On a previous bluetooth adapter, I'd use it all the time to force a re-connect attempt if the initial attempt failed because of the cold.

I haven't seen that issue lately, but I'll still use it to prevent accidental pairing when I have the car running but want to still use my headset, such as when I need to clear off snow or ice, or refill the tires from the pump I'm using, or any other reason I want to prevent or force a switch to or from the car's audio.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just out here, with my thoughts.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Zach/JerryRigEverything and MKBHD are in the video as well, and Mr. Mobile is quoted.

JerryRigEverything as in the guy who was claiming phone had plastic screen but turned out he just had a dirty pick

Captain Yossarian posted:

Does Brave mine for crypto on mobile too or is that just desktop lol

It doesn't on desktop. So why should it do that on mobile. (I use Firefox+uBlock Origin on desktop and android)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Brave's crypto "BAT" (Basic Attention Token) isn't a proof of work token like bitcoin which solves hard math problems (and gobbles up energy in the process) for cash returns. They give it out for being exposed to ads that they serve. You can choose to opt into those ads or not. The default is off.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I hate crypto anything so I will just opt out, thank you for verifying!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lowclock posted:

Regarding cycling/driving/media control, in my car I just use a little bluetooth microcontroller and some buttons to send controls to my phone or whatever. Works with pretty much everything and I can just leave my phone in my pocket. There's probably some kind of commercially available solution if you don't want to program stuff.

I use my smartwatch for this in cars with older Bluetooth implementations that don't let me do it from the car's controls.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

~my wife~ walked into a Best Buy intending to trade in an S21 for an S22 while Samsung's promo lasts (supposedly ending tomorrow?). A mere 2h30m later she walked out with an open box S22 Ultra free of charge instead, so uh okay then?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 1, 2022

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Ding Ding Ding.

Since wireless charging is now a thing, metal is out. Reviewers who handle phones for 2 weeks and never have to worry about protecting them because they move on from them after that wax poetically over build quality and hand feel and if you don't want to have them say a phone isn't premium, then you need to have a glass/metal sandwich.

Plastic is considered a second tier material and if you want to charge more than $500 for a device, it normally has to have a glass back for it to not get raked over the coals in reviews.

Personally, I wish that Google would have continued down the design of the Pixel 5 with the metal unibody with bioresin coating.

Right now, about your only choice for a flagship level phone without a glass back is the Zenfone 9 and it's still dicey to get a hold of in the US and doesn't have a big update commitment.
Ah I'd forgotten about the wireless charging thing. Although amusingly the only wireless charger I've tried the pixel 6 with, slides out of the central position it needs to be in. Due to the super smooth glass back. Then again I think it was an Apple charger.

Here's hoping someone works out how wireless charging can work through some kind of metal. Or I dunno maybe they transition to using some crazy tough ceramic composite or some poo poo that turns out to be good

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Plastic is good, like nexus 5 or pixel 5

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

El Grillo posted:

Ah I'd forgotten about the wireless charging thing. Although amusingly the only wireless charger I've tried the pixel 6 with, slides out of the central position it needs to be in. Due to the super smooth glass back. Then again I think it was an Apple charger.

Here's hoping someone works out how wireless charging can work through some kind of metal. Or I dunno maybe they transition to using some crazy tough ceramic composite or some poo poo that turns out to be good

Didn't the Essential phone have a ceramic build?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It did. We've also been hearing rumors of a ceramic Pixel for years.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

El Grillo posted:

every apple phone with wireless charging has a glass back too. i've never heard anyone in real life complain that their phone is slippery so it's completely bizarre to read about it all the time here like i missed something when i signed up that the SA forums are for people with grip disorders

also wireless charging is great and you should use it every night

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a way to factory reset a Pixel 4a with a broken screen? My googling says no, but I want to make sure there's nothing I missed.

My old Windows Phone (lol) had a volume/power button sequence you could do to factory reset it. Is there anything like this for Android phones?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

eXXon posted:

~my wife~ walked into a Best Buy intending to trade in an S21 for an S22 while Samsung's promo lasts (supposedly ending tomorrow?). A mere 2h30m later she walked out with an open box S22 Ultra free of charge instead, so uh okay then?

I have no idea how Samsung makes any money on these crazy trade-in deals with best buy. I bought the flip 4 for 200 for trading in a free phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

lostleaf posted:

I have no idea how Samsung makes any money on these crazy trade-in deals with best buy. I bought the flip 4 for 200 (on contract) for trading in a free (with contract) phone.