Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

That sounds really good! I could probably go 10/20-21. Message or email me.

That’s awesome, I got new phones and all,

My line ID is burgerburgerlover-

No flights to shikoku directly yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

captkirk posted:

Listen, it might be delicious but it's *not* cheesecake.

Yes. It's sponge that smells like cheese. Let's not get it twisted. Very "we have cheesecake at home".

Also has Costco increased prices? The pizza is up to 1750 yen and I heard the hot dog is 200 now too

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

take the Shinkansen down to Kyoto, spend 8-10 days there, then fly back home ("home" is Seattle, if it matters).

When last I asked about a good district to stay in Tokyo, I was advised to avoid Shinjuku

Is there a particular good area to stay in Kyoto, again with good transit access?

Someone recommended a tour of the Tokyo rainwater drainage system

Are Japan Air and ANA

EDIT: Also, is there a good way to search flights that go into Tokyo and leave Kyoto, or do I just have to do two one-ways on Kayak?

no snark. Quick fire answers

stay near Tokyo station - closer ueno National museum, slightly better food selection, close to shimbashi, closer to the fish markets, and you can run around the imperial palace every morning, 5k.

In Kyoto, expect to walk more, the city center is smallish and everywhere is fun to walk, not just the 3 main sites. They do have legit ryokans there but $$$. You guys seem like you can afford a bit more than the budget traveler. Nara can be done in a day trip. If you have time, definitely stop by himeji castle.

Drainage system - I always wanted to go but seems like Japanese only because it’s far far out in the suburbs.

Airlines- waaaay better than EVA. Japan #1 top dog any day.

FINALLY TRAINS, no airport in Kyoto just Osaka airport. You are better off taking a train. If you have time, look into the hokuriku 7 day arch pass, slightly cheaper than the nation wide JR pass but takes you from Tokyo to Osaka and back. Looks into k look.com for train and mobile data deals

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:peanut:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What are you looking to get out of your stay in Tokyo? If you want somewhere you can go out at night and stumble back drunk to your hotel, Shibuya or Shinjuku are good choices. If you want something quiet at night but easy access to transport, around Tokyo or maybe Ueno are good options.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

There is a garden in Nara that’s pretty close to the train station that I thought was stunning, I think it’s the Yoshikien Garden from a quick google, but it’s like something out of a movie. If you go to Nara it’s really worth visiting.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wonton posted:

Drainage system - I always wanted to go but seems like Japanese only because it’s far far out in the suburbs.

uhh what

That's a really weird definition of "for Japanese only". You know it wasn't built as a tourist attraction, right? They couldn't just stick it under the 109 building and call it a day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

uhh what

That's a really weird definition of "for Japanese only". You know it wasn't built as a tourist attraction, right? They couldn't just stick it under the 109 building and call it a day.

I think they mean the tours are Japanese-language only because it's off the beaten path and not in a big touristy area.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

There is a garden in Nara that’s pretty close to the train station that I thought was stunning, I think it’s the Yoshikien Garden from a quick google, but it’s like something out of a movie. If you go to Nara it’s really worth visiting.

I like this place in Nara because you wander through the less touristed parts of the park (where the deer behave like deer rather than muggers) out the back into the suburbs and there's this random temple with a hall full of 1000 year-old statues that hardly anyone goes to.
http://www.shinyakushiji.or.jp/

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I think they mean the tours are Japanese-language only because it's off the beaten path and not in a big touristy area.

Ya this.
The website is also written in Chinese and Korean. To allow your groups to book their own tour (but must be accompanied by a Japanese language guided tour)

From Tokyo station, it’s an hour train ride out + 6 minute taxi. Definitely doable if planned ahead of time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've known about it for a long time but all this talk makes me actually want to go and do it next time I'm in Tokyo.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If you do the drainage system tour you can also go to The Railway Museum in Saitama on the same day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

We recently stayed here, it's on the Yamanote Line and Keisei Skyliner to Narita, but Nippori Station is small enough that the exits are very intuitive.
ART HOTEL Nippori Lungwood
03-3803-1234
https://maps.google.com/?cid=17727138133207626968&entry=gps
drat, they have a triple room here for wildly goddamn cheap. Is Agoda.com fine for booking (I have not ever planned an international trip where I needed a hotel)?

Wonton posted:

In Kyoto, expect to walk more, the city center is smallish and everywhere is fun to walk, not just the 3 main sites. They do have legit ryokans there but $$$. You guys seem like you can afford a bit more than the budget traveler. Nara can be done in a day trip. If you have time, definitely stop by himeji castle.

You aren't the only one to mention Kyoto being small; I love historical poo poo, and that's why I wanted to make it a destination, but we're going to be there for quite awhile; would we be better off staying in Osaka and doing a couple of day trips to Kyoto? Maybe even do like 2-3 nights in Kyoto on the way to Osaka for another 4-5 nights instead of 8-9 nights in Kyoto.

We can definitely afford to do some more expensive stuff, but as far as lodging goes, we're all pretty basic; I've always had the philosophy that I'm spending my time doing poo poo while I'm on vacation, not sitting around the hotel room, so as long as it's clean and comfortable to sleep in I'm good. The plan was to do regular Western-style hotel rooms for most of the trip, then try to find a nice (maybe a bit more upscale) ryokan in Nara to spend the night in, try out the whole tatami mat experience.

quote:

Busy Bee posted:

If you do the drainage system tour you can also go to The Railway Museum in Saitama on the same day.

This looks so loving cool, I'm gonna see if I can convince my Japanese-speaking friend to play translator for that one day. We'll buy him dinner after; the fact that we can do the train museum the same day makes it seem like a must-do.

quote:

Airlines- waaaay better than EVA. Japan #1 top dog any day.
Really? drat, EVA was nice as gently caress.

quote:

FINALLY TRAINS, no airport in Kyoto just Osaka airport. You are better off taking a train. If you have time, look into the hokuriku 7 day arch pass, slightly cheaper than the nation wide JR pass but takes you from Tokyo to Osaka and back. Looks into k look.com for train and mobile data deals
So, the plan was to fly into Tokyo, spend a bunch of time there, take the Shinkansen to Kyoto, spend a bunch of time there with maybe an overnight trip to Nara, then to fly home from Osaka airport (which inevitably involves a layover in Haneda or Narita). I don't really want to try to train back to Haneda or Narita then catch a plan home, that just sounds like a brutal day. Is there a good pass for just, like, local rail inside Tokyo, or are we best off just paying the fares as we go?

slinkimalinki posted:

I like this place in Nara because you wander through the less touristed parts of the park (where the deer behave like deer rather than muggers) out the back into the suburbs and there's this random temple with a hall full of 1000 year-old statues that hardly anyone goes to.
http://www.shinyakushiji.or.jp/
Added to my spreadsheet.

Thank you all for the help.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

We stayed in Hostel Haruya Higashiyama in Kyoto and it was one of the most memorable places we stayed during a 6+ month trip. It was a tiny, creaky building inside a shopping street, with (heated) bathrooms outside on the courtyard, tatami rooms upstairs and delicious rice porridge in the morning. :3: Absolutely loved it. Hostelworld is cool if you're looking for weird small places to stay, they aren't all dormitories and/or party hostels.

Edit. There was also a craft beer place next door!!

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 1, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

drat, they have a triple room here for wildly goddamn cheap. Is Agoda.com fine for booking (I have not ever planned an international trip where I needed a hotel)?

Yes, we stayed in a triple: me, grandma, and two kids. It was comfy.
Agoda is fine, so is booking.com, jalan, and yahoo japan travel.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For public transport I did the math for my trip in 2018 and decided not to bother with day passes of any kind, I just got an Icoca when I arrived in Osaka and kept topping it up for the rest of the trip. Super convenient, accepted in several cities, and you can use it for vending machines too.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

You aren't the only one to mention Kyoto being small; I love historical poo poo, and that's why I wanted to make it a destination, but we're going to be there for quite awhile; would we be better off staying in Osaka and doing a couple of day trips to Kyoto? Maybe even do like 2-3 nights in Kyoto on the way to Osaka for another 4-5 nights instead of 8-9 nights in Kyoto.
A week in Kyoto is overkill in my opinion, unless you absolutely love historical stuff. The main places downtown like Kiyomizudera can be visited in a couple of days since buses service all of them regularly. You can probably get through 3-4 a day if you plan right.

There's also things like going to Fushimi for sake tours, Uji for green tea stuff, Arashiyama or even going to Nara for a day trip. Also it'll be overpriced, but dining at a restaurant overlooking the Kamogawa river in the evening can be quite nice followed by a bar in Pontocho. I'd say 4 or 5 nights should be sufficient before you're ready to move on, but bear in mind that's only because I'm used to the place. On the other hand Kyoto is basically bankrupt so you'll be doing everyone a favour by spending money there.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

A week in Kyoto is overkill in my opinion, unless you absolutely love historical stuff. The main places downtown like Kiyomizudera can be visited in a couple of days since buses service all of them regularly. You can probably get through 3-4 a day if you plan right.

There's also some good hiking in Kyoto. Hiking up on the Daimonji mountain is fun, though you want to make sure you're not hiking down after sunset.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah that's also a good shout, March would be great for it too.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Is there a good pass for just, like, local rail inside Tokyo, or are we best off just paying the fares as we go?

This is called the Tokyo Free Kippu, basically 1600 yen for unlimited metro, JR, and Toei buses in Tokyo for a day. Notably it doesn't cover them monorail to Haneda or any trains out to Narita.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/pass/tokyo_free.html

You'd need to ride quite a lot to make this worthwhile so unless you're planning on covering half the city in one day or something, I'd say just stick with Suica or Pasmo.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

We can definitely afford to do some more expensive stuff, but as far as lodging goes, we're all pretty basic; I've always had the philosophy that I'm spending my time doing poo poo while I'm on vacation, not sitting around the hotel room, so as long as it's clean and comfortable to sleep in I'm good. The plan was to do regular Western-style hotel rooms for most of the trip, then try to find a nice (maybe a bit more upscale) ryokan in Nara to spend the night in, try out the whole tatami mat experience.

This looks so loving cool, I'm gonna see if I can convince my Japanese-speaking friend to play translator for that one day. We'll buy him dinner after; the fact that we can do the train museum the same day makes it seem like a must-do.

Really? drat, EVA was nice as gently caress.

So, the plan was to fly into Tokyo, spend a bunch of time there, take the Shinkansen to Kyoto, spend a bunch of time there with maybe an overnight trip to Nara, then to fly home from Osaka airport (which inevitably involves a layover in Haneda or Narita). I don't really want to try to train back to Haneda or Narita then catch a plan home, that just sounds like a brutal day. Is there a good pass for just, like, local rail inside Tokyo, or are we best off just paying the fares as we go?

Added to my spreadsheet.

Thank you all for the help.
Kyoto and Osaka are very close. It's a little more than twenty minutes by train, so if you prefer not to switch hotels you can stay on either place and visit the other easily. With 9 days there you have time for some day trips. I'd recommend Nara because you haven't really visited Japan if you don't get mugged by a cracker hungry deer. Himeji has one of the most impressive castles in Japan, so that is a good choice as well.

Kyoto and Osaka both have daily passes good for the metro lines and bus. Generally you'll break even if you use the metro three times on the pass and save money after that. In Tokyo you will often use the Yamanote line travelling in the city and it's not covered by the metro pass, so I don't think it's worth it. Definitely get an IC for when you don't have a pass so you don't need to buy paper tickets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're going castling in Kansai don't sleep on Hikone Castle, which is one of the few with its original structure intact instead of a modern rebuild. And you can chill by Lake Biwa.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Don’t get the daily metropolitan subway passes.

Do get the regional passes if you are on regional day trips. But Most of these passes are more for specific regions or people know kind of know their way around Japan.

The regional ones include unlimited regional shinkansen rides and that’s where you get the most savings. If you travel to other regions, do get an international drivers permit and have the option to rent a car. People are super nice and roads are well maintained.

I was in Tokyo during august a few years back and the weather was just too hot and unbearable. It was also a weekday and most goons were busy, so we ended up going up to Sendai and Aomori. It was also the Neputa and Nebuta festival which made the trip really memorable.

We also drove up to osore san where JP trip advisor posted “really dangerous and windy roads” when everything was freaking paved and clean.

Anyways, visit Japan multiple times! Not this trip but next autumn or spring I want to stop by izumo taisha because of YouTube recommendations and take the hokuriku arch pass and do the kurobe gorge walk and onsen stay.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're going castling in Kansai don't sleep on Hikone Castle, which is one of the few with its original structure intact instead of a modern rebuild. And you can chill by Lake Biwa.

I had planned on meeting a friend and visiting Hikone while I was on a work trip once and it turns out there was a loving typhoon that weekend. Booooo.

I think it's better to just stay in one place for Kyoto or Osaka, to be honest. Osaka if you want to go out at night, Kyoto if you want to really do stuff early before crowds or whatever.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm back from my trip. One week in Osaka with day trips to Nara and to Kobe, then down to Okayama. Plan was just to overnight there and visit Kurashiki/Korakuen garden before spending a few days staying and doing the art islands in a fancy hotel, but the Super Typhoon put paid to that. Ended up basically vaguely bunkering down in Okayama, squeezed in main highlights of Naoshima and a day tip to Himeji before everything closed down. Not a total loss because had time to go get some really nice jeans.

Knock on effect was that schedule was a bit messed up so didn't have time to make the most of proposed route down to Kochi, at least not without constantly packing/unpacking which is no fun, so stayed in Takamatsu and did Kotohira and Yashima/Shikoku Mura. Then final week I was 'working' with an 8 hour time difference in Tokyo, and most free time was shopping/eating/drinking - and a trip for some sumo - because I couldn't really take the whole day off for trips.

Overall, I'm really grateful I had an opportunity to visit before the vast numbers returned. Final week in Tokyo, you could see things were beginning to pick up tourist-wise more and more. Felt like kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity in a lot of respects. I spent a couple of months in Japan in 2019, a month of which was at Kyoto Uni in August (hell weather), and the headline temples really are astonishingly beautiful but nonetheless very marred in my view by visitor numbers. I climbed Fushimi Inari at 6am back then and it was just about peaceful and you were able to take some nice photos and poke around with not many others. Way back down it was just queues of people taking selfies one by one in the torii tunnels as far as the eye could see. Similar story in Arashiyama, either you get there at sunrise or it's a zoo (in peak season, at least). It put me off going to Nara because it's such a popular destination.

Random bits:

- Since I'm seeing some talk on shinkansen/flying, if you aren't getting a JR pass, flying from Haneda to Osaka is actually a lot cheaper than even the cheapest shinkansen option. I used the JAL Explorer Pass (I don't think it shows up on normal flight aggregators?) and it was about 50% of the cost of a shinkansen ticket and not vastly different timewise, even accounting for transfers.

- In Osaka, Nara was fantastic and a lot of fun as a trip. I rated Osaka Aquarium. I actually got a lot of value from Osaka Amazing Pass due not to free metro per se, but free entry to museums/galleries. The weirdest thing I did was go to the Suminoe Speed Boat racing/gambling thing. A bit of a struggle if you speak no Japanese I imagine, but it was a very fun, off the beaten track experience. You basically get unlimited free drinks and a seat if you have the pass.

- Naoshima main galleries were great, although Lee Ufan Museum was almost a scam. Wish I had had more time and better weather to chill and cycle around but that's the way it goes.

- Really rated Takamatsu as a place. Honestly had a pretty vibrant central district of izakaya/udon joints. Kotohira was good and the Kabuki theatre there was also really cool. Also came with free old man tour, although only in Japanese. Shikoku Mura was the surprise standout of the whole trip. I think parts were renovated this year for the Setouch Triennale? Place was dead empty, literally had the place to ourselves for like 3+ hours. Insanely good bakery down the road too.

e: not sure on picture policy, but I threw some snaps on imgur https://imgur.com/a/hHouWPz

Jeza fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 2, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

This is called the Tokyo Free Kippu, basically 1600 yen for unlimited metro, JR, and Toei buses in Tokyo for a day. Notably it doesn't cover them monorail to Haneda or any trains out to Narita.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/pass/tokyo_free.html

You'd need to ride quite a lot to make this worthwhile so unless you're planning on covering half the city in one day or something, I'd say just stick with Suica or Pasmo.

This looks good for collecting stamps at all the JR stations
https://tabiyomi.yomiuri-ryokou.co.jp/article/000580.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you can snag your Japanese translating friend’s time, take them to the railway museum too. They have some cool train simulators that are JP only, but looked hella fun when I last went.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anything look overly weird/impractical with this rough sketch of a schedule for going at the end of October and early November?
  • Friday-Monday Arrive in Tokyo (Shibuya Halloween, Karaoke)
  • Monday-Thursday Osaka (Universal Studios, rock bars)
  • Thursday-Saturday Sapporo (Sweden Hills, Obori Park)
  • Saturday-Wednesday Back to Tokyo and Yokohama
  • Wednesday or Thursday Fly back to Sweden

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That looks good.

Shikoku festivals are happening in mid-October! There's basically something everyday from Oct 13th to Oct 21st. I'll type up a multicity schedule soon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Shibuya Halloween is going to lead to the country being shut down again hopefully.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, Peanut! I was hoping to squeeze Fuji-Q Highland in there somewhere but I don't think I have enough time for it without things getting too busy.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Mister Chief posted:

Shibuya Halloween is going to lead to the country being shut down again hopefully.

Shibuya Halloween is just gonna be a whole heap of lost people wandering around the train station wondering what the gently caress JR is up to.

(Meaning the pretty odd construction zones between the keo and JR sections.)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wibbleman posted:

Shibuya Halloween is just gonna be a whole heap of lost people wandering around the train station wondering what the gently caress JR is up to.

(Meaning the pretty odd construction zones between the keo and JR sections.)

It is a hell of a lot better than it was before covid for those who have not been here.

I have literally been lost every single time I have gone to Shinjuku station however.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i always think those stations would be better if you could see outside if them more so you can see where you are in relation to outside. otherwise you are just supposed to know the number of your exit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i always think those stations would be better if you could see outside if them more so you can see where you are in relation to outside. otherwise you are just supposed to know the number of your exit

This is always what I do at Shinjuku, just get to daylight and walk around.

Mister Chief posted:

oh yeah they'll get a photo of like three drunk Eikaiwa teachers who live out in Saitama and use that as a reason to shut the gates again.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Mister Chief posted:

It is a hell of a lot better than it was before covid for those who have not been here.

I have literally been lost every single time I have gone to Shinjuku station however.

Shinjuku still isn't finished. And I was here 4 years ago. The odakyu at the west gate being shut/renovating makes that side a lot more complicated to get where you want. Keo seems to have not hosed up their section though.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
No liquid restrictions on domestic flights within Japan, right? For example nothing over 100 ml and must fit all in a small Ziploc bag.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Shinjuku still isn't finished. And I was here 4 years ago.

I was here in college in 2007 and the Shiodome intersection was under construction. Still is today.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

No liquid restrictions on domestic flights within Japan, right? For example nothing over 100 ml and must fit all in a small Ziploc bag.

you can basically walk through the gate while eating cold okonomiyaki from a plastic tray and drinking a beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone have a Yakiniku or a Wagyu restaurant recommendation for Tokyo?

I tried
Shima
Wagyu Mafia (need membership now, cant join RIP)
Ginza Steak (vaguely remember, did I go?)

Haven't been to Rokkasen in years, I'm kind of out of the loop.

Thanks guys