Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So the former “CFO” that stole redirected a bunch of money and was sued as a consequence party to a coverup lawsuit, and is just hanging out with the owners today like old chums. Something fucky is afoot. Everything is normal peon, go about your business.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Critical posted:

I've had to explain the invoicing process to my new bosses three times in the past three days. I have completely lost all filter. They mentioned cutting out a step on the process and I told them it was an awful idea that makes no sense and reveled in the 30 seconds of awkward silence. I'm like days away from recreating the Ric Flair "fire me I'm already fired" promo.

Dumb poo poo your work does - It was an awful idea

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So I guess smoking honey for the amount I need isn't viable on our smoker, so the imperial stout I'm brewing next week is gonna have smoked coffee beans added later. That's thinkin' on my feet, baybeeeee!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why not just smoke the beer after you've brewed it?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Why not just smoke the beer after you've brewed it?

Municipal Waste? Is that you?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That's the best compliment I've had on this site.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Atopian posted:

I doubt the co-workers would stand still long enough.

Bonk them with a heavy book first.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm flattered when people enjoy my beer but I will always find people who collect brewers' autographs a little odd. I've only encountered a couple, but it always throws me for a loop.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

evilpicard posted:

Yeah even though I'm like 3 steps above needing to wear a uniform I do it a lot to save on dry cleaning .

I wear a uniform because I got tired of clothes I like getting holes worn or torn into them

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I brought my Drake posted:

Apparently the label scrapers I use in book mending are the perfect tool for prying up pee- or vomit-stained carpet squares. Yet another tool I have to bring from home because I don't want people using it and not returning or cleaning it. :mad:

Do you use them in a specific location? If so, chain them to the desk.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I got hired in April at a little scientific startup company after my last gig got outsourced. They decided that the meds used in IVF would be better made by paying people a quarter as much and paying a tenth of the taxes. Always a good decision. So, I got this job, and holy poo poo, it was a sea of red flags from jump. When I started, I found out that I was replacing someone who had left in December, and had been C-suite level staff. He had bailed, along with the Chief Financial officer. They also shortly after lost he chief Science officer, the person who hired me, and stayed literally only as long as she needed to before also bailing. But, fun of funs, I wasn't only replacing the C-suite guy. I was replacing someone who had been asked to do my job between when that dude left and when I came on. She took over the role that would become mine, and immediately left.

When I started, there were 8 lab staff. 2 had already given their notice, one due to going back to college and one due to moving. One quit, and another 2 bailed between then and now, with one of the folks leaving 2 weeks ago to go to a better job.

There are 3 lab staff left including me.

I just had a really great second interview with the same company that the guy left for 2 weeks ago, and have been forwarded on to further hiring managers. Holy poo poo has this year been a slog, dealing with this loving job. You get 6 days of PTO per year, with a slow and lovely accrual rate that boils down to 1 hour per 2-week pay period for the first 2 years of employment. The CEO brags about paying people below market value. I don't know how the company makes money. The lab manager was hired a week before I was, and the new lab director was hired a month ago and is trying to be a little eager beaver. It's not going amazingly. I really hope I get to follow my coworker to this other, much more lucrative and beneficial company.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Good luck! That poo poo sucks, but few things feel better than leaving a poo poo company to leave your awful boss to twist in the wind! I hope it works out for you!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have to pass referencing checks again to get my old job back (financial services poo poo) because I’ve been gone slightly too long to just be waved back through the door and it has made this last loving week in my current place absolute torture.

I am on my third boss in as many months and I’m about to get number four because the place is a loving clown show, and all I wanna do is just give them my week’s notice and get the gently caress out, but I can’t until the reference is done and my new offer is all nailed down.

Next week I’m hoping for that final magical email so I can just pull the trigger, at which point given how they’ve treated everyone else who’s resigned I’m mostly likely just going to be sent home to sit out my week’s notice with pay because the place is run by vindictive petulant pissbabies.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sorry you get SIX DAYS of PTO per year? What the gently caress

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Please don't take them all at once

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No saving them up. Use em or lose em. No you can't take time off just now

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm sorry you get SIX DAYS of PTO per year? What the gently caress

TotalLossBrain posted:

Please don't take them all at once

Well, they can't take them all at once because they accrue instead of get distributed. Still one of my least favorite models for giving people PTO (next to early in my career when the model was "work overtime the rest of the week and you can take a day off"). I get the idea that you don't want to give someone who shows up in September the same amount of time off someone who was with the company all year gets or something, but it's way easier to prorate those days than it is to tell them the days are earned by working X Hours.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Regressive PTO policies are all big brained MBA business plans about reducing fixed costs because vacation is overhead that exists on a ledger somewhere and burnout impacting productivity is fake and all in your head.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Accrual based PTO is horseapples. My place uses it but they allow you to take time with the assumption you will accrue the negative balance in the future. I think I'm -9 hours of PTO at the moment after a long labor day weekend and a couple of mental health days since. I should have 2 1/2 more days coming to me for the rest of the year if they don't can my rear end first.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Where I work, we accrue PTO... Kinda? Like, we have sick time that's just there all the time and rolls a bit over at the end of the year, then normal PTO what officially accrues, but the accrual gets mostly ignored and everyone just goes off the year-end balance - The official policy is "You're only SUPPOSED to use what you've accrued, but... Eh. It's still your PTO."

I once interviewed at a place and asked about PTO. The interviewer had to call HR and the HR lady had to RUN CALCULATIONS to tell me if I was hired that day, I'd have SIX HOURS PTO for the next year. That interview did not last long after and I just ghosted them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm flattered when people enjoy my beer but I will always find people who collect brewers' autographs a little odd. I've only encountered a couple, but it always throws me for a loop.

How drunk were they while asking?

Query: Resinated beer, à la retsina. Is this a thing? Can it be weaponized?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Man, and I feel ripped off cause I only get 30 days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My current employer gives us about 15 days a year. It's per pay period accrual so that's some napkin math, but it pencils out about right.

The fucker is that a) we are only allowed to roll over 7 days a year and b) we don't have separate sick leave.

Which is how two years ago I had to burn a gently caress ton of PTO playing video games during one of our business months (November) because lol gently caress no I'm not working for free. These hours don't roll over so it's use it or lose it. Just had it piling up because it's not like I was going to go on vacation during covid.

This is also how I burned up all my PTO this year having covid. I'm now negative because I had to take some time to help my wife deal with some minor-surgery grade health poo poo. Taking a day to drive her to and from the hospital etc.

According to my contract if they fire me today that gets deducted from my final paycheck.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, I seem to have given y'all the impression that my poo poo job gives me six days of PTO per year.

That's not specific enough for the full impact.

Two days of sick, two days of personal, two days of vacation. Something like 8 holidays over the course of the year, and a vague floating holiday policy. And then my super cool accrual rate of 1 hour per 80 hours worked.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

My current employer gives us about 15 days a year. It's per pay period accrual so that's some napkin math, but it pencils out about right.

The fucker is that a) we are only allowed to roll over 7 days a year and b) we don't have separate sick leave.

Which is how two years ago I had to burn a gently caress ton of PTO playing video games during one of our business months (November) because lol gently caress no I'm not working for free. These hours don't roll over so it's use it or lose it. Just had it piling up because it's not like I was going to go on vacation during covid.

This is also how I burned up all my PTO this year having covid. I'm now negative because I had to take some time to help my wife deal with some minor-surgery grade health poo poo. Taking a day to drive her to and from the hospital etc.

According to my contract if they fire me today that gets deducted from my final paycheck.

Mine's more or less the same. The worst part was that because things didn't roll over and because we had "furlough" days all of summer 2020 (basically, we were off on Fridays but also had a 10% reduction in pay) I ended the year with all of my days intact. I was the only person in my department/team that did my job, so taking an actual day off was nearly impossible until the close of 2021. Because of the extra days the company "suggested" managers institute a policy of employees not saving their days up for the end of the year, but I knew multiple people who disappeared between Thanksgiving and New Year's anyway.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

rotinaj posted:

Oh, I seem to have given y'all the impression that my poo poo job gives me six days of PTO per year.

That's not specific enough for the full impact.

Two days of sick, two days of personal, two days of vacation. Something like 8 holidays over the course of the year, and a vague floating holiday policy. And then my super cool accrual rate of 1 hour per 80 hours worked.

:hmmno: no sir i dont like it

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

madeintaipei posted:

Like, a pine resin? Epoxy resin? What kind of resin is going into these beers?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Insect resin: shellac.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pine.

Oh, you.

Pine.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Only the finest bong scrapings for pot resin, of course

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

American PTO is batshit pathetic, Jesus.

The mandatory minimum in the UK for a full time employee is 5.6 weeks/28 days. Some of those are taken up by the public holidays but pretty much any place that requires you to work them just gives you the day back to take some other time.

Sick days vary from company to company but have nothing to do with your PTO entitlement, my last place just paid sickness absence in full as long as your Bradford Factor number was below their arbitrary cutoff.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

At my previous lovely job they gave me like 2.5 weeks of PTO, bit separate from sick time. Oh, and those federally mandated holidays we told you all about having off, cause that's a "benefit"? They get deducted from your PTO.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
In my early 30s one employer tried to decline my PTO for my WEDDING that I was requesting 9 months in advance.

I told HR and my boss they can either approve it or I'll collect it as paid PTO when I quit and walk out the next day. They gave me a shocked look and said theyd generously allow it just this once because it was a special circumstance.

I ended up quitting the day I got back from said wedding. Employers seem to think they have full control over employees' lives. They can die in the hottest of fires.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

History Comes Inside! posted:

American PTO is batshit pathetic, Jesus.

The mandatory minimum in the UK for a full time employee is 5.6 weeks/28 days. Some of those are taken up by the public holidays but pretty much any place that requires you to work them just gives you the day back to take some other time.

Sick days vary from company to company but have nothing to do with your PTO entitlement, my last place just paid sickness absence in full as long as your Bradford Factor number was below their arbitrary cutoff.

Wait till you hear about parental leave here!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As an old boomer, I have 28-days. That's supposed to include sick time, so they prosaically refer to it as "flex time."

My son, who is a scientific lamp-worker (glass-blower, makes apparatus to spec) had no time off his first year, got a week after the second year, and just got two weeks after year #5. It's a loving travesty.

His fiancee works at a national grocery chain, and while she has more time off than he does (plus sick time), they beat her over the head for taking it & she works insane shifts & rarely has an entire weekend off.

No wonder my kids have anxiety issues.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Slayerjerman posted:

In my early 30s one employer tried to decline my PTO for my WEDDING that I was requesting 9 months in advance.

I told HR and my boss they can either approve it or I'll collect it as paid PTO when I quit and walk out the next day. They gave me a shocked look and said theyd generously allow it just this once because it was a special circumstance.

I ended up quitting the day I got back from said wedding. Employers seem to think they have full control over employees' lives. They can die in the hottest of fires.

lol. Sorry babe, can't make it tonight. The best man can stand in ciao!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

I've only met a couple people who do it but the guy had an autograph book. I actually met him a couple years ago when I was working at another place. I don't think he was drunk. Or at least not totally. Nice enough guy and all but it throws me for a loop when it happens.

I was talking about it to some brewer friends and one of them said some guy once asked him to sign the shirt he was wearing. His brewery is way more popular than anywhere I've worked though. He was even featured in a fairly popular craft beer manga.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

rotinaj posted:

:killing:

We get 18 vacation days a year, plus a personal. This goes up to 19 +1 next year. We also get all Federal holidays, including Juneteenth paid. And we shut down around Christmas and New Years, usually like the 23rd through the 3rd, that's paid too. Every six years, we get a six week sabbatical. For sick time, we get six "incidents" a year, which are paid but if you're out more than three days you need a doctor's note to come back; an extended absence will be converted to paid or unpaid medical leave at some point.

No loving way am I ever leaving this gig short of retirement.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Escape From Noise posted:

a fairly popular craft beer manga.

What

Also pro level username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

What

Also pro level username

I think it's fairly popular. The thing about Japanese publishing is I believe a lot of it is basically funded by manga. I could have this wrong, as it was something I learned from a professor in college, but revenue from manga is high enough that books almost never go out of print here and publishers are more willing to take risks on newer authors. The other thing is that there's a huge breadth of manga, with some for really niche interests such as a manga about music theory that has somewhat technical information in it. I think this craft beer one is more accessible than that. It's not super huge, but it seems to be at least somewhat known.