Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Soon (tm). Still<200 mi. On the clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Fuckin’ love vans. Almost want kids so I have an excuse for a Pacifica plug-in hybrid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Fuckin’ love vans. Almost want kids so I have an excuse for a Pacifica plug-in hybrid.

Stick with just the van and thank me later

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Stick with just the van and thank me later

Name/post combo gold right here.

Vans are awesome. My kids will all be adults in the next few years and I’m still considering getting another one. They’re just that useful and comfortable.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I drove a recent model Pacifca last year and the driver's seat was like a recliner. It ruled.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Time to buy the van and get to conceiving!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Full Collapse posted:

I drove a recent model Pacifca last year and the driver's seat was like a recliner. It ruled.

The Voyager ain't bad either, drove one to help a buddy move last year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm classing it as stupid because doing the NC500 from the Midlands in a V8 is dumb as poo poo at current petrol prices.

It was fun as hell though and the drives were breathtaking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hell yeah, Scotland is stunning, the West Coast is crazy beautiful, it's like another planet in places.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hell yeah, Scotland is stunning, the West Coast is crazy beautiful, it's like another planet in places.

Absolutely, so much of it was stunning but the stretch along the B869 really stuck out to me as almost being like a drive along Martian roads in the best way possible.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's like a Scandi Flick but you didn't end up with Quattro livery by the time you got home. Looks fun! It does look considerably moister than Mars however.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Charles Leclerc posted:

I'm classing it as stupid because doing the NC500 from the Midlands in a V8 is dumb as poo poo at current petrol prices.

Quit doing this and start winning championship points. You’re upsetting my wife!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Quit doing this and start winning championship points. You’re upsetting my wife!

I am rather regretting this over-exhuberant toxx now lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
After 20 years of 'the dominant driver' winning in the car that's clearly OP, I'm starting to believe that F1 car design has more to do with it than driver skill, so keep your pecker up Charles!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Took the Subaru to a cabin for the weekend.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took a nice cruise with some new friends yesterday to the local state park. I had to leave before the final group shot at sunset since I was getting ready to leave for vacation at 4:30am, but I did manage to get one shot with a companion

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I feel as if there should be either a CR-X or an NSX in between them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Tossed our 2020 Volvo V60 for a 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser. We do not need this size, nor the capability. All I really wanted was the deep quality and reliability that comes with "Land Cruiser", plus I've never owned a V8 before. 2, 3, 4, 5 and six cylinders sure, supercharged and twin and single turbo versions, but never a big dumb V8. Now we're a two Land Cruiser house I guess!

Pearl paint with terracotta leather interior. It is, not even a joke, 100% better than the Volvo in quality, ride comfort, power (of course). Absolutely zero rattles, squeaks, no weird build quality. We tried to really like the Volvo wagon, but we just didn't connect with it no matter how pretty and wagon it was. Plus in just a year it was already in for repairs and that's...not what I like. Ever since we started doing the importing from Japan thing and pulled in Land Cruisers the quality of them is just off the charts. The green Prado in the last picture has been my daily for a couple years now, and it's a 1994 from another country and just eats mileage up. Yeah it's manual and yeah it's a diesel, but the quality inherent to how Land Cruisers are engineered is something I've gotten far to comfortable with. If I could, I'd get a brand new 70 series that Australia can have but I've got to settle with the last one the United States got, the J200.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

When I got my car it had a bunch of scratches and swirls from the previous owner's use of brush carwashes. I just got a full paint correction and ceramic done and it made a world of difference.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 10, 2022

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KakerMix posted:

Tossed our 2020 Volvo V60 for a 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser.

We tried to really like the Volvo wagon, but we just didn't connect with it no matter how pretty and wagon it was. Plus in just a year it was already in for repairs and that's...not what I like.

Interested in the issues you had with the Volvo. It's on my shortlist when my Nautilus lease is up next year.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Goober Peas posted:

Interested in the issues you had with the Volvo. It's on my shortlist when my Nautilus lease is up next year.

Replacing both front rotors at the car being at 12,000 total miles is lol, but the dealership experience was pleasant at least and it was done under warranty. The service dude there was talking about how this is common with the rotors. We traded it in at 14,000 miles having done maybe 2500~ over the year we had it, and in that time interior rattles and squeaks got ever so slightly worse, even though there shouldn't be any at all. Weirdly harsh ride sometimes, an inescapable jolt when coming to a complete stop as the brakes do this weird thing where they CLAMP right before you'd naturally stop so you always get a little jerk, no matter what you did. The transmission gear hunted sometimes as well, not confidence inducing. I'm positive the front rotors were getting out of round again as well.
Just a weirdly put together car, maybe that's me in living in and around mid 90s JDMs for a long time and comparing this car to that. Plus we got around 22 mpg with our typical driving no matter what we did as well. If you put it in ECO mode it automatically applies start stop which I have no issues against in principle, but it added an unacceptable delay when taking off from a stop sometimes. You can disable the start stop but you have to do it *every* time since it didn't remember that you didn't want start stop active when in ECO mode. Twice the car just slammed on the brakes for no reason that my wife and I could detect, just driving down a straight road with no intersection or traffic close by. Once it slammed on the brakes that actually prevented an issue in a parking lot backing out as someone was ripping rear end through the lot and probably would have hit us. Really liked the autonomous driver features or whatever Volvo called it when cruising down the highway, but then sometimes it just refused to turn on with no indication on why which then just made me sigh and go "what the gently caress". Adaptive cruise control always worked, just the lane keep assist would flake out. Waiting for the infotainment screen to boot up when turning the car on is such a bummer, especially because I just want to adjust the HVAC but got to sit around and wait 20~ seconds or so. Not a lot of time at all, but that you MUST wait for the car to come up to speed makes it an unpleasant experience especially compared to the JDM garbage I've been in with real knobs and switches. The black plastic and aluminum trim (ours was an Inscription model) would blind you depending on where the sun was sometimes and there wasn't anything you could do about it.

Nothing catastrophic for reliability, but it felt delicate and that weighed on me every time we drove it. Not nearly as good of fuel economy at 22 mpg no matter what we did either, and it sucks premium. I just really don't think my wife and I like this transition era right now in new cars which everything is high-strung buzzy 4cy turbos. These all feel like they will probably end up being a neo-malaise space in the future in automotive history. A pure EV would be a lot better and will be where we go if we ever decide to get a new car after this.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Weirdly harsh ride sometimes, an inescapable jolt when coming to a complete stop as the brakes do this weird thing where they CLAMP right before you'd naturally stop so you always get a little jerk, no matter what you did.

Brake by wire? My Alfa has it and this describes it perfectly.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KakerMix posted:

These all feel like they will probably end up being a neo-malaise space in the future in automotive history. A pure EV would be a lot better and will be where we go if we ever decide to get a new car after this.

Interesting that you bring this up as I just had the thought the other day that the last decades have pretty much been malaise ear in Europe. Big cars with a ton of "luxury" features with 132hp diesels and where sub 10 second 0-100 times are a rarity. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it sure feels that way.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 11, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It looks so happy. :unsmith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Full Collapse posted:

It looks so happy. :unsmith:

Lol, my S2000 had that look about it too

also lol rear tire pulling on the wheel

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MrOnBicycle posted:

Interesting that you bring this up as I just had the thought the other day that the last decades have pretty much been malaise ear in Europe. Big cars with a ton of "luxury" features with 132hp diesels and where sub 10 second 0-100 times are a rarity. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it sure feels that way.

I'm pretty much on that bandwagon, but I suspect it's a convergence of consumers preferring better infotainment to keep them distracted from the "chore" of driving, the cynicism of manufacturers milking as much as they can out of diesel engines before they're choked out of existence and the fact that the car industry is basically a financial services industry selling people leases/PCP deals over three or four years before getting you into the next four-wheeled white good with a newer infotainment system.

I realise that the above comes across as aggressively old fart chuntering.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrOnBicycle posted:

at least over here, it feels like the malaise is coming but it's not here yet. we still have cool and good things like the hellcat, demon, zl1, zr1, gt350, stuff like that. but the writing is on the wall. supposedly the hellcat is ending after next year, they already killed the viper like 5 years ago, and probably the other halo cars will be dropping one by one in the next decade. so we will probably have a real low spot between the last of the high performance gas motors and when the electric stuff comes into its own.

is merc and bmw not making fast stuff anymore? i admit i dont pay any attention to that stuff, but they used to have e.g. the C63 and similar beasts. anything over 500HP these days, or is that all going away too?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hasn't that always been the case in Europe? Everyone remembers the top models but your average 80s 5 series would have had some worse than gutless four cylinder.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Raluek posted:

at least over here, it feels like the malaise is coming but it's not here yet. we still have cool and good things like the hellcat, demon, zl1, zr1, gt350, stuff like that. but the writing is on the wall. supposedly the hellcat is ending after next year, they already killed the viper like 5 years ago, and probably the other halo cars will be dropping one by one in the next decade. so we will probably have a real low spot between the last of the high performance gas motors and when the electric stuff comes into its own.

is merc and bmw not making fast stuff anymore? i admit i dont pay any attention to that stuff, but they used to have e.g. the C63 and similar beasts. anything over 500HP these days, or is that all going away too?

The C63 a 2.0 four pot hybrid now and it's legitimately a technical marvel from the reviews I've read, but I doubt it'll stir the soul the same way those brutish 5.0 NA V8s did.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Didn't the C63 go straight from the big 6.2 N/A to a 4l TT anyway?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Charles Leclerc posted:

I'm wildly loving jealous you got to drive out there.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I'm wildly loving jealous you got to drive out there.
Amen, I had the privilege of driving through the highlands and around Isle of Skye back in June and it was loving awesome, would love to do it again. Really enjoyed the "cooperative experience" of single track pull-offs.

Didn't get many pictures because I was busy concentrating on not dying. I'm sure people who live in countries that get the Corsa hate it or whatever but it was seriously a great little car. Exactly what we needed for a week of tourism.

Edit: Also, lol, forgot I saw this at a viewpoint pull-off spot.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Skye is supposedly one of the most geologically diverse places on the planet which is pretty wild considering how small it is. As I've said before, West coast of Scotland is crazy pretty, my uncle lives in Fort William so we visited and took a drive over to Skye and took a walk up The Storr and got to drink in this view:

It felt fully primeval.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Well well well.

I finally had to get rid of the ol' BMW after driving it for 17 years. I didn't want to spend $2500.00 for a new A/C compressor, and enough little things are faulty now that I couldn't justify keeping it. What a good car it was. I'm sure it will be parted out within the next 14 days, which is sad. RIP.

BUT I BOUGHT THIS FUKKEN' 2018 CAMARO SS AND IT'S AWESOME

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Well well well.

I finally had to get rid of the ol' BMW after driving it for 17 years. I didn't want to spend $2500.00 for a new A/C compressor, and enough little things are faulty now that I couldn't justify keeping it. What a good car it was. I'm sure it will be parted out within the next 14 days, which is sad. RIP.

When do you have to report for basic?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bitchin' Camaro

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

:patriot: :freep: :fsmug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s on the gas door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

bird with big dick posted:

What’s on the gas door?

"Camaro".

In case you still needed further clarification.