Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

players who could not afford the bills if they stop playing never ever pressure medical staff to violate protocol ever lol

NFL quarterbacks are actually the one group that can afford the bills. It's really the exception that proves the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

rodbeard posted:

No they are 100% doing that to downplay the concussion he just received from getting back in the game too soon after they downplayed the last severe concussion he received.

Calling it now, he's going to be dead before the end of the year.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

tactlessbastard posted:

NFL quarterbacks are actually the one group that can afford the bills. It's really the exception that proves the rule.

I believe players on an active roster have health insurance through the league so cost is absolutely not a factor for the players (while active players). After they leave the NFL... that's been a bigger issue between the NFL and the NFLPA (players union).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I've got no horse in this race but he passed concussion protocol and apparently had an ankle injury along with back injury. That could easily cause him to stumble. His head did hit on the play but it wasn't awful.

And tonight, the CIN hospital released him. They are not affiliated with the NFL or the Dolphins so they have nothing to lie about. Their only concern is the patients health.

It's very possible that last Sundays injury is exactly what the team says it was. But man are there a lot of armchair neurologists showing up.

i think the only safe and responsible thing to do is send him out there again in 4 days and see how he holds up

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is that a combination umbrella and powerbank? Because that would be useful for people in England and such.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cursed because even in the feminist column women still submit to their boss and go to church even if it is as preachers.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Cursed because even in the feminist column women still submit to their boss and go to church even if it is as preachers.

I had a student once (an adult, in community college) who once tried to tell me that the lyric, "I'm a thief, I'm a liar / There's my church I sing in the choir" was "nonsensical" because "Christians don't lie or steal. It's right there in the Ten Commandments." This was a non-traditional student in her forties. I was blown away by the parochial gullibility of the statement.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Railing Kill posted:

I had a student once (an adult, in community college) who once tried to tell me that the lyric, "I'm a thief, I'm a liar / There's my church I sing in the choir" was "nonsensical" because "Christians don't lie or steal. It's right there in the Ten Commandments." This was a non-traditional student in her forties. I was blown away by the parochial gullibility of the statement.

I don't really expect a christian woman to act like an adult because american christianity tends to force women to remain in a stunted, child-like state to make them easier to control.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lol @ debating pearl jam lyrics at community college

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Yaldabaoth posted:

Calling it now, he's going to be dead before the end of the year.

I rarely swear, but gently caress off with this. That kid is probably pretty messed up and "calling" him dying this year is really lovely, even if you're joking.

Show some damned tact.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Contact sports should be illegal. You want to turn your brain into Swiss cheese you should do it with drugs and alcohol like a regular person.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Is that a combination umbrella and powerbank? Because that would be useful for people in England and such.

The caption translates as "automatic folding umbrella".

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Contact sports should be illegal. You want to turn your brain into Swiss cheese you should do it with drugs and alcohol like a regular person.

they should just wear the equipment that protects them but looks a little silly, like they do in practice

in fact how about an escalating arms war of safety equipment until playing something as stupid as football looks too dumb for kids to want to do

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Poohs Packin posted:

Lol @ debating pearl jam lyrics at community college

I wouldn't call it a debate. She was complaining about some other student's tunes.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

boar guy posted:

they should just wear the equipment that protects them but looks a little silly, like they do in practice

in fact how about an escalating arms war of safety equipment until playing something as stupid as football looks too dumb for kids to want to do

No amount of safety equipment can make a 250 pound man tackling another 250 pound man medically acceptable.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Frank Frank posted:

He’s apparently dazed but ok and is asking what the gently caress happened. That’s some actual live brain trauma though :smith:

"CINCINNATI -- Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was taken to a local hospital and later released after suffering head and neck injuries on a second-quarter sack in Thursday night's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Dolphins said shortly before halftime that he was conscious and had movement in all his extremities at the hospital, the University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

A source confirmed to ESPN that Tagovailoa was later released from the hospital and flew back with the team to South Florida.

Tagovailoa was in "good spirits" upon returning to his home in South Florida on Friday, a source told ESPN. Initial tests showed no structural damage, another source confirmed to ESPN, and Tagovailoa, who wore a neck brace as a precaution, will have an MRI.

Tagovailoa hit the back of his head on the ground when he was sacked by Bengals nose tackle Josh Tupou, and his arms appeared to seize up almost immediately. He remained on the field for roughly 10 minutes before he was loaded onto a stretcher and taken away."

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No amount of safety equipment can make a 250 pound man tackling another 250 pound man medically acceptable.

no but you can make it look real dumb

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32140546/guardian-caps-soft-shelled-football-helmet-covers-effective-limiting-head-injuries

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

These are hilarious and I would watch football if everything looked like this

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Those aren’t nearly humiliating enough. They should be the size of beach balls and impair the wearer’s field of vision.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Those aren’t nearly humiliating enough. They should be the size of beach balls and impair the wearer’s field of vision.

They need to have their entire uniform made of that stuff so they can look like a low-rent version of The Thing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://twitter.com/an_glare_oh/status/1575495059746611202?s=21&t=lJdbGAzt1BUQ_Qk4aWi9EA

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Yaldabaoth posted:

French stamp collector Philipp von Ferrary:

I'm assuming this is what happens when you lick one too many stamps.

Poor guy just looks like that because he was drowning in all that pussy thrown his way. Philately was more popular back in the day.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Robobot posted:

Show some damned tact.

No, I see no reason to show tactfulness to a guy who willing chose to gently caress his body up for millions of dollars.

Content:

Yaldabaoth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No, really.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's this, really. Your brain is not super well secured inside your skull (it never needed to be) nor is it rigid enough to support itself against it's own weight, so if you are subjected to extremely sudden accelerations, your brain doesn't move perfectly in unison with your skull and bumps and compresses up against the inner skull walls. This is why no helmet really protects against the CTE injury: a hard tackle at the waist still snap accelerates the head and your brain bounces inside your skull anyways. The only safety equipment that would reduce the injury would be to weigh people down so they can't move fast and put them in those sumo suits. Physically prevent speeds from getting fast and physically reducing the tackle acceleration. Never gonna happen.

A few of those big bumps over a lifetime is no big deal, but make a career out of bruising your brain and of a sudden, all of those unbidden caveman-monkey-brain thoughts (take that thing, punch that guy, sex now?!) are no longer able to be suppressed and it results in horrible impulse control and emotional instability. Some food for thought on it is that CTEs were originally called dementia pugilistica, as in, they were the disease of the pugilist - the boxer. Boxers comparatively don't even get the disease named after them anymore as they're completely dwarfed in comparison to American football players. Getting punched in the face certainly isn't too great for you, but the forces involved with all but the biggest of punches are still an order of magnitude smaller than those with a hard, head-on tackle.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Tua Tagavailoa went to school in Alabama on purpose

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Intensely cursed

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm not gonna post it but the Miami quarterback just had a massive brain injury after likely having a massive brain injury less than 5 days ago.

And Amazon keeps replaying it and showing him rather than advertising baby food.

https://twitter.com/PardonMyMeme/status/1575658391619280896?t=cqYxv7J9KWHxybwfNZjhTg&s=19

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yaldabaoth posted:

You had me at fornicates

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Intensely cursed

What, new covers?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Radio Paranoia posted:

Intensely cursed

Do you mean the covers?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Meh, quote is not edit

Karate Bastard posted:

You had me at fornicates

But seriosly I thought this was written by some teenage atheist up until about 60% through, where I was like wait a minute are you making a case? Are these supposed to be negatives???

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
God is a loving coward come at me bro I'll twist and manipulate you like a goddamn chiropractic. You'll like it too

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Karate Bastard posted:

God is a loving coward come at me bro I'll twist and manipulate you like a goddamn chiropractic. You'll like it too

James Hutton murked his rear end in the 1700's.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I'd never heard of this guy until last night. And then "randomly" youtube recommended one of his videos.

He's not funny at all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Karate Bastard posted:

You had me at fornicates

fornicates is my favorite greek hero

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

Intensely cursed

What the gently caress.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

*Cursed Stavros laugh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Not only that, but the safety equipment might actually make it worse. The person DOING the tackling is being protected to such an extent that they don't need to worry about hurting themselves, so they hit way harder than if they weren't wearing padding. It's the same reason boxing injuries skyrocketed after the introduction of the glove; you hit way harder when it doesn't hurt you to do it.