Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

McCracAttack posted:

"No but see it's fine if you catch COVID at a work conference. I've had it three times and I'm fine."

Even worse, it was a scientific conference. But yeah, I'm remote so I zoom into every work meeting and I just see a conference room packed with people all giving COVID to each other over and over and over again. They joke about it, which is ableist as hell but it's not my problem so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

'twas announced to cheers in the allhands today that masks are no longer required on campus at work starting monday

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that poo poo haha

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m in the office today due to power being out at home still, and i have only seen one other person wearing a mask.

hundreds of people work in this building and it’s mostly open offices. i found an empty “phone room” with a door in a side hall and parked there for the day.

haven’t heard any hacking coughs yet at least.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone help me figure out if our 5 year old who has had 2 doses of the vaccine can get the new booster?

It will be 5 months in October.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone help me figure out if our 5 year old who has had 2 doses of the vaccine can get the new booster?

It will be 5 months in October.

If five and up is eligible, they're eligible. has to be at least two months since last shot.
Edit: looks like pfizer asked for 5+ to be authorized, FDA won't meet on it til Oct.

quote:

The health agency’s vaccine advisory committee has meetings scheduled for Oct. 19 and 20, where it is expected to review the available data on the boosters for that pediatric age group.

So hang in there.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 30, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Even worse, it was a scientific conference. But yeah, I'm remote so I zoom into every work meeting and I just see a conference room packed with people all giving COVID to each other over and over and over again.
this sounds like the coronavirus edition of swap.avi

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Does Omicron still present with loss of smell? I feel like I haven't heard anyone talking about that symptom since Delta.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's because nobody talks about having covid anymore op. out of sight, out of mind, and eventually, after enough infections, out of body entirely

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

some family who had covid this year (so most likely omicron, but not sure which) lost their smell, one of them for a couple months but it eventually came back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tagra posted:

Does Omicron still present with loss of smell? I feel like I haven't heard anyone talking about that symptom since Delta.

It still happens to a lot of people, but the prevalence is substantially lower than it was with Delta, or at least was with BA.1, the dominant ~subvariant~ in January.

https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00327-0 posted:

Loss of smell was less common in participants infected during omicron prevalence than during delta prevalence (16·7% vs 52·7%, odds ratio [OR] 0·17; 95% CI 0·16–0·19, p<0·001).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tagra posted:

less frequently

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just got my updated dual Pfizer vaccine. My husband got his and his flu shot at the same time. I'm getting my flu shot in 2 weeks

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tagra posted:

My mom experienced that when she got it earlier this month.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Okay, thanks!

Fur20 posted:

that's because nobody talks about having covid anymore op. out of sight, out of mind, and eventually, after enough infections, out of body entirely

^^Must be this :v:

I work in a University that is doing its first full non-wfh semester of the pandemic and have successfully made it through September, but the amount of coughing I hear is really horrific, and there's a lot of "unexplained laryngitis". Our campus is "masks recommended" though and I do see a lot of masks, to the point where I often hear students asking everyone else in the group if everyone wants them to put their mask on, since they're the only ones not doing it. I just kinda assume everyone who is wearing a mask is also sick, though. I've definitely had a lot of students cancel appointments due to illness, and a lot have reported positive COVID tests. There's a lot of useless cloth and surgical masks but a decent amount of KN95s too, but only really me and a few other staff/faculty wearing a full headstrap N95.

First major exams are coming up in October and that's when the viruses typically take hold in the stressed students. I'm battening the hatches...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I try not to think about it, but it really pisses me off how badly people have been lied to. 99% of people really think this poo poo is over, to the point where we're getting this

Tagra posted:

there's a lot of "unexplained laryngitis"

all too often. The mental gymnastics people go through now, because they're sure that COVID is over, I mean the CDC said so themselves! So they feel sick, they're coughing up lung fluid, they feel weak and tired all the time and it keeps happening, but it's just "a cold" or "allergies" or "the weather". I'm not immune to that line of thinking either, but I've burned through so many home tests that have popped negative even when I felt like poo poo, combined with a lifetime of feeling like poo poo and having constant allergies and sinus infections even pre-COVID. So once again, the only thing any of us can really do at this point is keep getting those boosters and always be masking.

poo poo sucks :shrug:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I try not to think about it, but it really pisses me off how badly people have been lied to.

:same:

The people we're supposed to look to for guidance have bungled everything so badly at every turn that it makes it difficult to trust any official guidance for anything anymore.

But anyone expressing that opinion out loud is called paranoid. We have societal gaslighting going on and it's exhausting.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It definitely sucks but at least I can be the one visible reminder in my office by wearing an n95. Until they make some policy change and don't allow masks or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Every time I go out, I wear a mask, and I am usually the only person who seems to. So, so many times I think I might be paranoid about this poo poo, why not go out and eat, everyone else is, it looks fine, no one looks sick.

Then I hear someone cough and I am reminded otherwise.

It's like thinking the zombie apocalypse is over just because there's none in your house. There's plenty of zombies outside, you just don't see them when you're inside.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's some incredible mental gymnastics around healthcare where I am too. ERs are constantly closing with 30% of staff calling in sick, and apparently according to everyone this is always how our healthcare system has been, just no one was paying attention to ERs constantly closing a few days or even a week randomly, certainly nothing to do with COVID.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've worked at my current job for over 10 years, and this year is the only time i've ever experienced management begging people at the beginning of department and all-hands meetings to please, please, please use sick leave if you are sick and don't come in

they know what's going on, they just aren't willing to deal with the backlash if they require masking or up to date vaccinations again. this is in FL, so it's not just employee backlash to worry about, but the governor would also start issuing fines if a business acknowledged that covid still exists.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 1, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ontario emergency rooms are closing every other week and all the medical staff are quitting in droves, must be a coincidence lmao

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ontario emergency rooms are closing every other week and all the medical staff are quitting in droves, must be a coincidence lmao

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

For sure there are general working condition issues due to our insanely union-hostile conservative government, but everyone acts like it's a wacky coincidence that ER closures come in lockstep with COVID waves.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just postpone your car accidents until the ER is open, ya dummies

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
ERs close or have insane wait times, like 1-2 days. Incidentally, being forced to sit on a bed in a hospital hallway for 1-2 days is a great way to get covid if you don’t already have it!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zugzwang posted:

ERs close or have insane wait times, like 1-2 days. Incidentally, being forced to sit on a bed in a hospital hallway for 1-2 days is a great way to get covid if you don’t already have it!

Okay, well its easy to point at the negatives.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you stop tracking injuries or illnesses requiring ER usage suddenly it's nbd :thunk:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So any reports yet from people who got the bivalent BA.5 vaccine and catching covid? I'm curious if they ended up being mild cases.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Whatever happened to monkeypox? Did that poo poo just disappear cause the Queen died?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

So any reports yet from people who got the bivalent BA.5 vaccine and catching covid? I'm curious if they ended up being mild cases.

all covid cases are mild

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Whatever happened to monkeypox? Did that poo poo just disappear cause the Queen died?

It's mild.

Same @ polio outbreak in NY

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

looking forward to some mild diabetes and mild heart disease as i age

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder if the final stages of the bubonic plague were mild, like you only turn a little bit black when your flesh rots and your pustules only hurt a little bit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cowslips Warren posted:

Whatever happened to monkeypox?

It dropped off a lot but it's still chugging along, the US is still reporting several hundred cases per day

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did that poo poo just disappear cause the Queen died?

Hey, it happens

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 2, 2022

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every time I go out, I wear a mask, and I am usually the only person who seems to. So, so many times I think I might be paranoid about this poo poo, why not go out and eat, everyone else is, it looks fine, no one looks sick.

Then I hear someone cough and I am reminded otherwise.

It's like thinking the zombie apocalypse is over just because there's none in your house. There's plenty of zombies outside, you just don't see them when you're inside.

My spouse works on a floor of the building where only his nonprofit that he works for are the only ones who require masks. He told me thatT someone on the same floor who works for a different company has said, "everyone has COVID, correct?". My husband said "no!" And told her to get the gently caress away from him.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Doc said I have an infiltration in my lung, probably from the covid I had a couple weeks ago. What the gently caress is that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Fattest PI posted:

Doc said I have an infiltration in my lung, probably from the covid I had a couple weeks ago. What the gently caress is that

The common term is 'pulmonary infiltrate', it basically means you got some sort of gunk all up in there. Would've helped if the doc was a bit more specific

quote:

From a pathophysiological perspective, the term "infiltrate" refers to “an abnormal substance that accumulates gradually within cells or body tissues” or “any substance or type of cell that occurs within or spreads as through the interstices (interstitium and/or alveoli) of the lung, that is foreign to the lung, or that accumulates in greater than normal quantity within it”

quote:

According to a study by Patterson et al, the use of the term "infiltrate" on its own was not shown to be very meaningful for the clinician or very beneficial to the patient
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/pulmonary-infiltrates-1

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Haha your second quote from the wiki really nailed it on the head. Hurts like a MFer though

maybe if i try real hard i can cough out a sick rear end bronchial cast

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Fattest PI posted:

Haha your second quote from the wiki really nailed it on the head. Hurts like a MFer though

maybe if i try real hard i can cough out a sick rear end bronchial cast

I'm not a doctor but you have tried lying on your stairs so that your body is inverted and then coughing really hard? That works to get water out lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

shouldn’t have inhaled that gifted wooden horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not a doctor but you have tried lying on your stairs so that your body is inverted and then coughing really hard? That works to get water out lol

I dunno ground glass opacities are a type of infiltrate and I'm not sure coughing that out would be productive?!

(a respiratory joke, ha ha!)

Hope your lung clears up well for you OP.