Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah don’t you eventually have to charge the AirTag?

You change its battery, it uses a standard coin cell that's meant to last a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you're on the beta channel and like using 40 Hz, hold off on updating for a bit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been playing GW2 on the Deck and the touchpad is such a good mouse replacement for games that insist on using mouse controls it's not even funny.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kullik posted:

Yo i spent the money for the thing but i still have this popup in steam, is this normal:

It's a message. There is a box that acknowledges you have seen the message.

----

this stupid thread has me :f5: my shipment details, waiting for confirmation of shipment.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Heran Bago posted:

If you're on the beta channel and like using 40 Hz, hold off on updating for a bit.

Why's that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

You change its battery, it uses a standard coin cell that's meant to last a year.

Ok so yeah you’d have to open the deck up every year to change the battery.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

The deck now arrives in a less conspicuous box, unlike the old one that clearly identified what it was, for those who care.

I got my day 1 ordered Dreck back in like April, then ordered a second Dreck that arrived a few weeks ago. They both came in identical boxes.

(Also they arrived in like 2 days because I'm within driving distance of the hub but that's besides the point.)

njsykora posted:

I have officially sniffed the vent. It smells like my original Oculus Quest did when it was new.

Sounds like your Quest is defective, you need to buy a new one.

The Gunslinger posted:

I also need a good powerbank recommendation that won't break the bank if anyone minds.

What's your price range?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so yeah you’d have to open the deck up every year to change the battery.

I don’t mind that if it’s not otherwise bad for the Deck, tbh.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I've been out of pc gaming for a decade but I have a question that I don't think has been asked recently in this thread?

What do you do with the shitton of steam points ordering a steam deck gets you? Do you just buy stupid random poo poo for your profile?

I want to know if I should just blow them arbitrarily or not since I sprung for the expensive deck. Or are they destined to just collect dust?

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use them for profile pictures and profile picture borders, but yeah the points are useless

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

hell yes Fedex despite being wrong about when it would arrive all week delivered. Copying games and smellin' vents like gaben intended

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My deck has entered :canada:, from Indiana to Mirabel airport.

Le :toot:

Je suis tres heureux!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Je suis tres heureux!

I am three hours!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

I've been out of pc gaming for a decade but I have a question that I don't think has been asked recently in this thread?

What do you do with the shitton of steam points ordering a steam deck gets you? Do you just buy stupid random poo poo for your profile?

I want to know if I should just blow them arbitrarily or not since I sprung for the expensive deck. Or are they destined to just collect dust?
They're good for buying creepy emotes and surprising people that forgot steam chat exists.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Je suis tres heureux!

when'd you pay for it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jokes posted:

I am three hours!

Very nice, forums user 'jokes'. Very nice.

Edit:

Mescal posted:

when'd you pay for it?

Last Monday, the day of the Queen's funeral. The... 19th? Only got the email saying it was shipped like 3 days ago.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Billy Gnosis posted:

The only cool thing you can use them for is new keyboard themes for the on-screen keyboard the Deck has. The rest is worthless junk unless you love your Steam Profile a lot, but at least there's some neat (if super limited) keyboard options.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Part of the problem with all this is that it's hard to tell what the game window resolution (#3) actually is when gamescope is running since it's always applying some kind of scaling. For Linux nerds, if you enable sshd, ssh into the deck and run "DISPLAY=:1 xwininfo -root -tree" while the game is running, that will output all the X11 windows for the game and their resolutions, and you can figure out what's going on from there.

oh gently caress thank you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm always appreciative of the vast amount of Linux nerds we have here on SA.

Bless you goons. Bless you.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Atomizer posted:

I got my day 1 ordered Dreck back in like April, then ordered a second Dreck that arrived a few weeks ago. They both came in identical boxes.

Interesting, so were both of your boxes the ones with logos and stuff that made it clear it was a steam deck? Or relatively non descript but with a upc that still identifies it as a steamdeck from valve? I got the latter, so like if someone looked close they'd see what it was. I'd read some of the earlier shipments were way more obvious.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That has to be some of the ugliest UI ever designed but the art for some of those games are horrifying:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I remember seeing that banjo kazooie art in a magazine and thinking it was a horror parody

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's the video game equivalent of bad taxidermy.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Do Humble Bundles come with Steam Keys?

$11.99 seems like a pretty good deal for CK3 and some other games. https://www.humblebundle.com/membership

Sounds like it runs well on the deck with a UI scaling mod

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would like to know this as well since I haven’t PC games since Steam was brand new.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quarterroys posted:

Do Humble Bundles come with Steam Keys?

$11.99 seems like a pretty good deal for CK3 and some other games. https://www.humblebundle.com/membership

Sounds like it runs well on the deck with a UI scaling mod

Yes. It should say if it’s a steam key but like almost everything I’ve got has a steam key.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Humble almost exclusively sells steam keys yeah, especially in the monthly. Very rarely you might get a Ubisoft, Epic, or GoG key but it will tell you.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
So, got my deck last week, and it has some backlight bleed on the top and in the bottom right corner, which is somewhat noticeable when it boots/shuts down or on loading screens, also in daylight.

But, from what I’ve read so far, that just comes with the screen being IPS and seems to be fairly normal?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Paid for my deck on Monday. Still no word on shipping. :(

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just got my Deck. This poo poo’s software is way more finicky than I expected. So I plugged it into my monitor. My monitor kept flickering. No idea why. I had to plug it into a different monitor. That worked.

It was a pain getting my bluetooth mouse to work. It pairs painlessly. But occasionally, once the Deck rebooted or awoke, the mouse’s cursor would be nowhere to be seen, despite the mouse showing as connected in the Bluetooth menu. I’d have to disconnect and reconnect it.

Then it wouldn’t format my brand new microSD card. Google told me to format it on my Switch first then try to format it on the Deck. That worked.

Painful lol. Maybe Apple should make one of these devices instead.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Grey posted:

Paid for my deck on Monday. Still no word on shipping. :(

It's all a scam. You just helped a prince.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

didnt know the content of aperture desk job until I took this baby on her maiden voyage in the bathroom, apt

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MuLepton posted:

So, got my deck last week, and it has some backlight bleed on the top and in the bottom right corner, which is somewhat noticeable when it boots/shuts down or on loading screens, also in daylight.

But, from what I’ve read so far, that just comes with the screen being IPS and seems to be fairly normal?

Yeah, that’s just the nature of LCD screens. It’s why blacks look so much better on OLED screens. No backlight, each pixel is individually lit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vegetable posted:

Maybe Apple should make one of these devices instead.

LMFAO

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm touching my Deck and reading this thread. It's very smooth, I should probably put some rubber on it just in case I accidentally bump it into something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I dislike interacting with Retroarch in the best of times but I'm finding myself very frustrated with it further after running Emudeck. For whatever reason I can't get any overrides to stick (such as shaders or hotkey settings) and have to reset them every time I launch a core, which feels like the config files not getting written to properly. I also can't "clear" some binds such as the hotkey enable setting, which is making setting up everything in that menu a hassle (and since no settings are persistent from the earlier issue that is a problem here too).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
are you specifically saving your config after you make the changes? they won't stick unless you do that. it's in one of the menus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nate RFB posted:

I dislike interacting with Retroarch in the best of times but I'm finding myself very frustrated with it further after running Emudeck. For whatever reason I can't get any overrides to stick (such as shaders or hotkey settings) and have to reset them every time I launch a core, which feels like the config files not getting written to properly. I also can't "clear" some binds such as the hotkey enable setting, which is making setting up everything in that menu a hassle (and since no settings are persistent from the earlier issue that is a problem here too).

This is really stupid, but in order to get them stick you have to apply the shader, then save the settings in the shader options and usually I save the overrides after that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for some bizarre reason the TDP limit was on for Produes and set really low, which is why I was getting such bad performance. Runs fine now with that off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My Steam Deck will be here Sunday lmao

Is the op accurate to date for emulating everything in existence?