Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lithium batteries and salt water, a match made in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

are the cars still poo poo? it seems like the coverage of stuff like whompy wheels and random fires seems to have fallen off

I've seen a few around in NZ and they ain't looking great, panel gaps you could drive another smaller car through

Also that Norwegian thing is from around a month ago or so

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pleasebegneiss/status/1575642726137143296

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ilmucche posted:

are the cars still poo poo? it seems like the coverage of stuff like whompy wheels and random fires seems to have fallen off

this month a multiple tesla cars randomly caught on fire

a telsa electric grid battery installation randomly caught on fire

and a tesla factory caught on fire, but not randomly because that factory has previously caught on fire due to poor safety

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Somfin posted:

*Norwegian Tesla owners started a hunger strike with a list of grievances including that the cars don't start when it's cold, they don't start when it's warm, the cars are rusting when bought new, and the doors randomly open during operation.

Lmao

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Like everything Elon has hyped up, it's all a big fraud.

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1576021072239300608

Just straight LMAOs

Edit: Boston Dynamics better hang up the towel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PITY BONER posted:

Like everything Elon has hyped up, it's all a big fraud.

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1576021072239300608

Just straight LMAOs

Edit: Boston Dynamics better hang up the towel.

What are you talking about, it's incredible. Previous robots have required upwards of ten people to ensure they don't fall over while waving their hand

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
idgi. Last time the prototype was able to do some sweet dance moves. What happened?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

killer crane posted:

Who would pay to post on the internet?
https://i.imgur.com/GotiN3x.mp4

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol every time this idea resurfaces, that we should automate human industrial workflows by going to enormous effort to create humanoid robots, when those workflows tend to have major inefficiencies and hurdles to account for human limitations and safety that robots don’t need.

the push with cutting edge AI and robotics should be to design more and more specialized robots that can vastly exceed human physical capabilities and operate in conditions and spaces humans can’t. you know, like basically all other industrial machinery.

it doesn’t even really make sense for household assistant type tasks in spaces that must conform to human shapes. it’s still going to be much easier and cheaper to have separate specialized assistant devices, like a robot vacuum or whatever, than some 100+ lb awkward general purpose thing doing multiple tasks badly for $20,000 (pretending tesla has ever hit a price target) that cracks your tile every time it trips over your dog.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
They want plausible sexbots.

That's it.

You can read about it from history when Southern Women would write about what their husbands and sons would do with their "R.U.R." equivalent.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Bad Purchase posted:

lol every time this idea resurfaces, that we should automate human industrial workflows by going to enormous effort to create humanoid robots, when those workflows tend to have major inefficiencies and hurdles to account for human limitations and safety that robots don’t need.

the push with cutting edge AI and robotics should be to design more and more specialized robots that can vastly exceed human physical capabilities and operate in conditions and spaces humans can’t. you know, like basically all other industrial machinery.

it doesn’t even really make sense for household assistant type tasks in spaces that must conform to human shapes. it’s still going to be much easier and cheaper to have separate specialized assistant devices, like a robot vacuum or whatever, than some 100+ lb awkward general purpose thing doing multiple tasks badly for $20,000 (pretending tesla has ever hit a price target) that cracks your tile every time it trips over your dog.

The suggestion that the body that humans evolved to deal with life a million years ago happens to be the best one for urban living is silly.

The ideal general purpose assistant is probably going to be some sort of compact quadruped that has a shelf that can carry poo poo and two hands coming out of its back that can manipulate things. Although to really gently caress with people, it could also be a robospider with a carry cage underneath its body and 4 of the legs can turn into various manipulators.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
For specific tasks, it makes sense to design robots for that specific task. Like the robot arms you see in car factories or any variety of liquid handler. For general tasks, it makes sense to have a robot that has a form convenient for general tasks. Since we are humans, it makes sense to make those general robots human shaped because you can swap a human/robot in as needed for the general task. Plus you don't have to design specialized tools for generalized applications.

The human form isn't the best form for urban living but if we are designing something to augment human living, giving them a human form makes sense.

There are a lot of extinct breeds of dogs that used to have some utility that we've since automated in a different way. A specialized robot will ultimately have the same fate. On the other hand, a robot that can replace the servant class will make them extinct.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
elon stans are the best

https://twitter.com/realMeetKevin/status/1576032217650040832

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

2nd Amendment posted:

Since we are humans, it makes sense to make those general robots human shaped because you can swap a human/robot in as needed for the general task. Plus you don't have to design specialized tools for generalized applications.

The human form isn't the best form for urban living but if we are designing something to augment human living, giving them a human form makes sense.

pure fantasy, a general purpose humanoid robot assistant that can outperform specialized machines in households or offices won’t happen in any of our lifetimes

the only possible exception, as noted previously, is for sex

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bad Purchase posted:

pure fantasy, a general purpose humanoid robot assistant that can outperform specialized machines in households or offices won’t happen in any of our lifetimes

the only possible exception, as noted previously, is for sex

Oh, word? Who was it that said that?

2nd Amendment posted:

They want plausible sexbots.

That's it.

You can read about it from history when Southern Women would write about what their husbands and sons would do with their "R.U.R." equivalent.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no poo poo, did you need me to quote both your posts?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bad Purchase posted:

no poo poo, did you need me to quote both your posts?

You seem very hostile. My goon, it is Friday. Relax, I'm not looking for a confrontation but I am feeling you are. I may be misunderstanding that, I'm multitasking so I may be misreading tone. Your frowny avatar doesn't help, maybe it should smile more?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so you’re saying you’re not mad, i am?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

You seem very hostile. My goon, it is Friday. Relax, I'm not looking for a confrontation but I am feeling you are. I may be misunderstanding that, I'm multitasking so I may be misreading tone. Your frowny avatar doesn't help, maybe it should smile more?

You could just, like, not be weird like this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i actually let my humanoid robot assistant write my last few posts, and i’m assured that its programming forbids hostility toward humans

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wow that's amazing

I've looked into it and ran some more numbers and apparently the world economy is $100 trillion. If you replace every single person on the planet with a Tesla bot Tesla would have a gross revenue of $100 trillion (if i didn't calculate wrongly). That a massive growth potential and a stock price increase of at least multiple times

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
^^^^^^Until I read the comments in that thread, I had no idea that anyone anywhere would be willing to take this basic rear end robot at face value, what to speak of believing it will ever do any of the things a robot slave would be expected to do. It's vaporware and will be "coming soon" for the next decade, like everything else Elon promotes.

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1576022300910006272

LOL at $<20k. Sure.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sad that sexbots were brought up but these tweets weren't

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576048595010080768?t=PdYq1ftVqaIq5VtxgW6AeQ&s=19

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

You could just, like, not be weird like this

Now there are weird creepy stans coming out of the woodwork?

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

WOW THE FUTURE IS HERE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

The texts he had with the rick and morty guy now make complete sense and why he's pushing hard for robotics. It really is just for sexbots.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, we are all adults here. Let's cut the crap and stop pretending like we don't all have a very strong desire to gently caress a robot. When you grow up in a modern western city the family printer is basically your first girlfriend. I mean, we all done stupid sexual stuff when we were young. Do you really want to throw the first stone? That's all just a normal part of growing up in the '00s. Everyone did that back then, even when most people wouldn't admit to it. Let's not be self-righteous assholes here. It's all very normal stuff.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

WOW THE FUTURE IS HERE

Rotor dances better.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Haven't people been saying that all fast food workers will be replaced by robots "any day now" for the last 30 years?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 1, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Preview of the Musk Bot's future:

https://i.imgur.com/gIX48Kj.mp4

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

2nd Amendment posted:

For specific tasks, it makes sense to design robots for that specific task. Like the robot arms you see in car factories or any variety of liquid handler. For general tasks, it makes sense to have a robot that has a form convenient for general tasks. Since we are humans, it makes sense to make those general robots human shaped because you can swap a human/robot in as needed for the general task. Plus you don't have to design specialized tools for generalized applications.

There are a lot of extinct breeds of dogs that used to have some utility that we've since automated in a different way. A specialized robot will ultimately have the same fate. On the other hand, a robot that can replace the servant class will make them extinct.

He doesn't need cars and trucks to look conventional either but they do. To me it is the true sign of the lack of innovation within Tesla, still building the same dumb poo poo as everyone else

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I always liked how they gave the prototype Robocops live ammo in their guns

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

Now there are weird creepy stans coming out of the woodwork?

Sorry, that was me being up too late and needlessly grumpy as a result.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

I mean, we are all adults here. Let's cut the crap and stop pretending like we don't all have a very strong desire to gently caress a robot. When you grow up in a modern western city the family printer is basically your first girlfriend. I mean, we all done stupid sexual stuff when we were young. Do you really want to throw the first stone? That's all just a normal part of growing up in the '00s. Everyone did that back then, even when most people wouldn't admit to it. Let's not be self-righteous assholes here. It's all very normal stuff.

I’d gently caress a robot but it also has to look like an alien from Mass Effect (any of them) (except the robot ones)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Did muskrat see Smith's I, Robot, and think it was a good idea???

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Musk is absolutely a huge Asimov fan. Though not because of what he wrote.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

GABA ghoul posted:

I've looked into it and ran some more numbers and apparently the world economy is $100 trillion. If you replace every single person on the planet with a Tesla bot Tesla would have a gross revenue of $100 trillion (if i didn't calculate wrongly). That a massive growth potential and a stock price increase of at least multiple times

What about when those bots start purchasing bots? It'll be a new age, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

Musk is absolutely a huge Asimov fan. Though not because of what he wrote.

Oh god no, please no. Is this the thread where I learn that Asimov was a rapist/pedophile/chud/eugenist/south African/had a really weird body shape?