Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My old Yamaha RM1x had song mode too. Man I miss that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There’s a rm1x going on my local Craigslist. I was thinking about getting the new sp404 tho since they’re finally in stock

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I dug my RM1x (that I bought new the year it came out) out of storage at my parents’ house and while rad, I can’t really find a good use for it in my setup. Most of the onboard sounds still suck, too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

from reddit, and with advice on how to make it very easy to control:

there goes my weekend

no reason this can't take midi I/O and then send a clock out to my real stuff, I don't think
kick rear end.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

field balm posted:

question for modular gurus in the thread, i don't really understand combining modulation. say on a filter cutoff i have a v/oct sequence going into that input, and an envelope going into the fm input but i still want to add an lfo modulating it but have no more inputs, how do i do this?

Short answer would be a matrix mixer with attenuation control for each input.

Longer answer, pass your non-v/Oct signals through attenuators (so as to not max out most of your resulting signal) before putting them into a precision adder or similar mixer, combining your signals before passing them to their destination.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A MIRACLE posted:

There’s a rm1x going on my local Craigslist. I was thinking about getting the new sp404 tho since they’re finally in stock

I’m liking mine and I haven’t even finished figuring it out.

Buy it. Buy the 404. Also the other thing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My all-time dream synth is the ARP 2600, even though I don’t really play the keys and know next to nothing about synthesis. The reason is simply my love of the The Who, the sound and the fun people who know how to use them seem to have. I have owned a few synths in my life, without really getting hooked. I still dream about turning knobs and having more or less aimless fun though - and hopefully make something worthwhile once in a while. Another tempting thing about the ARP is that it seems fairly easy to use and understand. You can easily get usable sounds without using cables, but when you do the options seem almost limitless. However, as a big amateur, I would like to be able to save presets (if that's even possible on synths like that) so that I can get back to that special sound that I might find some day.

Are there any synths that sound good, are fun and easy to use with (semi)modular capabilities and that let’s you save presets? It would be a big plus if said synth is possible to get and doesn’t cost as much as a car.

I am aware that I probably sound like a madman so please bear with me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you're not opposed to computers you could check out VCV rack which runs on your computer and lets you save everything.

I'm not sure if there's an ARP 2600 within VCV but worth a shot?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think what you want is a software ARP, such as Cherry Audio's incredibly inexpensive recreation.

Modular synths by their nature almost never allow you to save presets. The only exceptions I know are the ridiculously expensive Buchla Easel and Erica Synth's Pico System, which uses voice card 'presets' which involve soldering, and thus can only be written once.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well, you can save a preset, but only one.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

I’m liking mine and I haven’t even finished figuring it out.

Buy it. Buy the 404. Also the other thing.

buy the rm1x. not too sure about the other thing. you're gonna need to replace the switches on the rm1x, which involves a fair amount of soldering

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Can anybody tell me how I could get started trying to emulate the synth voices heard in the intro for MSTRKFRT"s Easy Love? https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/mstrkrft/easy-love?node=164.5 has the chords, but I don't really understand enough to deconstruct the sound other than there's some sort of pulsing envelope and it's poly because chords.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I should just learn to love my circuit rhythm. I wanted the sp 404 for ripping full tracks off my vinyls lol

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Can anybody tell me how I could get started trying to emulate the synth voices heard in the intro for MSTRKFRT"s Easy Love? https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/mstrkrft/easy-love?node=164.5 has the chords, but I don't really understand enough to deconstruct the sound other than there's some sort of pulsing envelope and it's poly because chords.

Stacked detuned saws, short (organ-type) envelopes, maybe a touch of sync? The intro is a slow filter sweep of a LPF up, or maybe filter env amount?

Thats basically the same patch as in Van Halen's Jump, which there are tons of tutorials out there for. If nothing else it'll get you close.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

My all-time dream synth is the ARP 2600,

Just get the Behringer version and write down detailed notes about what was connected to where and the position of each slider. There are probably some PDFs with patch sheets.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

The Voice of Labor posted:

buy the rm1x. not too sure about the other thing. you're gonna need to replace the switches on the rm1x, which involves a fair amount of soldering

I just bought an rm1x and I'm waiting for the rubber switches in the mail but I've desoldered all the old ones. The clicky switches seemed fine although I was getting double trigger on the +1 button when running all the tests, hopefully I can disassemble and clean it or just swap it with a less used switch. I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it as its too big for my desk and I think my brain's too stupid for it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Just get the Behringer version and write down detailed notes about what was connected to where and the position of each slider. There are probably some PDFs with patch sheets.

This is basically how I save patches with my modular rig - either I write a diagram of what hooks up to where, or I just take a picture on my phone. The latter isn't really an option when you're in full clownpuke mode though. Some sites like Modulargrid will even let you save patch diagrams for your rig.

I'm in the process of moving and not having access to my modular is making me itchy.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The best way to save a patch is to record it and chop it up in your sampler of choice. You do have a sampler to go with your modular, right?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I prefer to think of a modular patch as a drawing in the sand, I record 5-10 minutes at the end of a session and unplug everything everytime I sit down

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

field balm posted:

I prefer to think of a modular patch as a drawing in the sand, I record 5-10 minutes at the end of a session and unplug everything everytime I sit down

Same. Some of the patch gets left behind as seasoning though (knob positions).

Unplugging a patch is something that started out easy and is becoming more of a chore.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I made this spooky vid/track/thing about being trapped in a tunnel of piss.

Hope you guys like it (no credit taken for the video, jamming on the Monome Arc to demo it for a friend)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWmGr20Wg0

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 3, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I made this spooky vid/track/thing about being trapped in a tunnel of piss.

Hope you guys like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWmGr20Wg0

:lol: Looks like fun!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

kick rear end.

lovely weekend for my steamdeck to have the controllers poop out! Hopefully valve straightens me out...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steamdeck can run M8 headless too, if you can source a teensy.

Assuming you want more awesome music toys to make portable. And assuming Valve fixes things for you.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

Assuming you want more awesome music toys to make portable. And assuming Valve fixes things for you.

I will file this away as dangerous information!

Cloud Terrarium just showed up so that's probably all my exploration bandwidth for this week. 3hp free still, probably will want a pico dual vca in there, but if i think i can get away with not adding another VCA i am going to jam a Zlobz chaos generator instead.

edit: also now up to 17hp of modules not racked in a box, so, I imagine another RackBrute will happen before Christmas :laugh: Chipz is trash but it still has an LFO!! :-P

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

is there a good step-by-step guide for running M8 on Steamdeck? My deck is on its way so I'd like to have the info handy, I did some looking and couldn't find anything as clear and straightforward as the Anbernic instructions but it's possible I was looking in the wrong places.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

is there a good step-by-step guide for running M8 on Steamdeck? My deck is on its way so I'd like to have the info handy, I did some looking and couldn't find anything as clear and straightforward as the Anbernic instructions but it's possible I was looking in the wrong places.

I don't have a steam deck so am not well versed on it, I've just seen people mention in the discord that they've done it.

All I got is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/m8tracker/comments/vqcv3r/m8_headless_on_steam_deck/ . One of the comments gives a recipe.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Looks like Korg is clearing out sq-64s. I don't know anything about them but thought yall might be interested.

https://cdm.link/2022/10/korg-sq-64-poly-sequencer-sale/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
What’s the glaring flaw on this one? :v:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Self control at an all time low

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

thats badass

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I wish it had more knobs. Honestly an sq1 that had endless encoders so it could do more channels/longer sequences would be perfect

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Startyde posted:

What’s the glaring flaw on this one? :v:

I love my SQ-64 when it works, and that "when it works" is doing some extremely heavy lifting in that sentence. I usually spend about 5-10 minutes just trying to get it to turn on when I set it up, and at that point it works maybe half the time, otherwise I give up and put it away.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

release the wavestate se you cowards

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I saw that you have to manually quantize your notes individually in them which seems like a huge oversight and why i didnt go for one when i was doing my 'I need a central brain for my setup' research.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 4, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I saw that you have to manually quantize your notes individually in them which seems like a huge oversight and why i didnt go for one when i was doing my 'I need a central brain for my setup' research.

And I think there's a similar issue with the arp

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

hahahaha

reading a ton about the SQ-64 to convince myself I don't want it because I already have a 3CV, 1 drum poly sequencer with 64-step variable sequencing in the way of the KSP

however I also may have sold myself on trying a Squarp Pyramid as a replacement for the PC in this setup and move all longer sequencing and recording tasks to there.

Thoughts? Will this free me from the tyranny of using a mouse to select and quantize samples into bars to repeat forever, or will it just be another god drat thing in that pipeline?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But mostly I think it's a pretty awesome piece of hardware. But yeah, the inability to quantize or arpeggiate outside the confines of one beat is a pretty big oops and one that people have been suggesting will maybe get addressed in some future update.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Cabbages and Kings posted:

however I also may have sold myself on trying a Squarp Pyramid as a replacement for the PC in this setup and move all longer sequencing and recording tasks to there.

Thoughts? Will this free me from the tyranny of using a mouse to select and quantize samples into bars to repeat forever, or will it just be another god drat thing in that pipeline?

I like the pyramid, its modal interface is very well thought out. Maybe it's only since they've been mentioned so recently but it does feel like an old yamaha flagship sequencer except playing notes on the device itself is actually fun, and no stopping for offline 'jobs' to effect changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

haha, Squarp's new hotness is the Hapax which is not very available right now. So if I want to kill off my PC daw I need to do a bunch of learning about pyramid vs hapax vs other options in the $500-1k price range. I just want the best and simplest sequencing experience for sounds, noise generation and built in drum machines etc matter a lot less. That said, the Deluge might do everything I want too.

Startyde posted:

I like the pyramid, its modal interface is very well thought out. Maybe it's only since they've been mentioned so recently but it does feel like an old yamaha flagship sequencer except playing notes on the device itself is actually fun, and no stopping for offline 'jobs' to effect changes.

any opinion on the relatively new Hapax also from Squarp?