Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Please tell me that glass is not full of what I think it is

I mean I know it’s a lie but it will make me feel better to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's chocolate milk (if you think about it, milk is just a term for liquified beef).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There really needs to be an autosave point before this

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I tried coffee jelly with agar and I did not like it. I suspect I messed it up, it was kind of wetly crunchy in a rather unpleasant way. Maybe too much agar?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Scarodactyl posted:

I tried coffee jelly with agar and I did not like it. I suspect I messed it up, it was kind of wetly crunchy in a rather unpleasant way. Maybe too much agar?

Nah, agar is slightly crumble-y in texture. Try using gelatin instead.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, I think it's back to gelatin for me--too bad since it seemed really promising while it was setting. Guess I'll have to find another use for all this agar I bought.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
love me some thermostabilised wet meat products

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you mix the agar into a cold liquid and let it sit, it dissolves more completely. If the liquid is hot or warm, the agar will clump and be grainy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can't convince me those photos aren't from an art project.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the ghastly ghost of atom age processed food experiments is menacing me.

me: i just want to go back to sleep for a couple more hours
extruded meat product: naw dude

reject pork!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Accept/reject/pork is the new gently caress/marry/kill

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That link from the tweet last page is is amazing, don't miss out:
https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search?f%5Bsubject_facet_ssim%5D%5B%5D=Operational+rations+%28Military+supplies%29

I like these 3 variants of the same food:

Time to find out if the military food thread is still alive somewhere.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The whole Digital Commonwealth page is an absolute goldmine for a whole bevy of things, including unsettling Cold War food

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Whooping Crabs posted:

Accept/reject/pork is the new gently caress/marry/kill

:nsavince:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crust First posted:

This unlocked a powerful forgotten memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqCPt9oj0_M

That commercial certainly explains why they also made me think of Count Duckula.

I ate the poo poo out of those things, until one day they ceased to exist, and my 6 year old brain couldn't comprehend it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/LSDFridge/status/1575216225092706304?t=_FQcf89X75-PNKRJpK4E_w&s=19

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
shroom tea is so much easier.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For real, I'll never understand

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've been told, though I'm not sure how true it is, that one reason that every MRE didn't end up as EFFICIENT DEHYDRATED BARS was that soldiers apparently had a habit of just eating them without rehydrating them first, which, uh, I'm not sure what that does to a digestive system.

Feels kind of tempting, though.

I want to experience the PEA BAR.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the eternal epic quest of mre makers is to actually get gi joe to eat it all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why they spent literal decades figuring out elementary school-level retort pizza

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Eeeyyy how bout a nice green bean pizzarino

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Mary Roach's book Grunt goes into the development of MREs and specifically MRE pizza and apparently it was very complicated.

Also found this while trying to remember the name of the book.

https://twitter.com/mary_roach/status/720350762895691777

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PurpleXVI posted:

I've been told, though I'm not sure how true it is, that one reason that every MRE didn't end up as EFFICIENT DEHYDRATED BARS was that soldiers apparently had a habit of just eating them without rehydrating them first, which, uh, I'm not sure what that does to a digestive system.

Feels kind of tempting, though.

I want to experience the PEA BAR.

Those freeze dried fruit bars in the early 90's were amazing though. I wish you could still get them

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That Madagascar pizza is upsetting.

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Serve piping hot in the meat ring" :wiggle:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the eternal epic quest of mre makers is to actually get gi joe to eat it all

Is that the quest? Contrary to that, I've heard it repeated a few times, though it has "urban legend" vibes to it, that the notorious WW2 "Chocolate bars" in rations were intentionally made gawdawful so that the highest energy and most durable item would be more likely to get saved for emergencies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommonShore posted:

Is that the quest? Contrary to that, I've heard it repeated a few times, though it has "urban legend" vibes to it, that the notorious WW2 "Chocolate bars" in rations were intentionally made gawdawful so that the highest energy and most durable item would be more likely to get saved for emergencies.
They made the chocolate bars god awful so they wouldn't trade them for cigarettes and hard liquor from the locals. We've spent 70 years course correcting ever since: the rations need to be attractive to be eaten and if they're gonna get traded for hard liquor and cigarettes, well that's just a good will campaign so we'll give them to the locals first.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Mary Roach's book Grunt goes into the development of MREs and specifically MRE pizza and apparently it was very complicated.

Whole lot of resources and time go into creating a single food for an MRE. Developing shelf stable, not-garbage tasting, and nutritious, food for soldiers and astronauts is extremely intensive.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just tried using half as much agar as the recipe (and agar bag) called for and it was a lot better.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I would expect a lot of people posting in this thread know about it already, but on the topic of MRE chat Steve1989MREInfo's YouTube channel is a good watch, especially when he digs into leftover Vietnam/WWII era ration packs...or older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also found this while trying to remember the name of the book.

https://twitter.com/mary_roach/status/720350762895691777

Cheese pizza, left :effort:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There is a really great thread in GWS about military rations across countries and eras

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750036&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

i'm going to glorify the living poo poo out of this loaf! i will tender crisp you til you beg for death! you will envy the Jolly Green Giant who i myself sent down to hell!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:colbert:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Are those donuts???

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Schubalts posted:

Are those donuts???

My guess was beer battered onion rings with green food coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"What should we have for dinner tonight, honey?"
"I don't really care, as long as it has A loving SHITLOAD OF RAISINS!!"