Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All I remember about Avatar is how they used Papyrus for the subtitles. Can't remember the plot or the character names or anything but they did that loving thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"story" is like the least interesting thing in any given movie. stories are to tell babies at bedtime. i watch movies to see cool stuff happen.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did you establish who would be the Keanu?

still just Keanu IMO

actually let Alex Winter do this one

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this is why Shoot Em Up is the best action movie of all time

I thought Free Fire was a cool movie for this reason.

It's basically 90 straight minutes of a dozen or so people shooting at each other in a large warehouse with about 15 minutes of opening exposition framing it.

It also stars known cannibal Arnie Hammer as some jerk everyone hates, just like real life.

(Shoot Em Up is the better film, to be clear. I thought Free Fire was interesting but fairly flawed)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

He says Lucas called him but he would only direct if he could write the script too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBhrS9Dkmk&t=916s

among star trek: discovery’s many sins is casting cronenberg in a semi-recurring role and then not really doing much with him

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Me irl

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

He says Lucas called him but he would only direct if he could write the script too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBhrS9Dkmk&t=916s

lol how many people did Lucas ask to direct Empire

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I definitely remember a good chunk of the audience laughing during the Watchmen sex scene. Having read the comic I knew what to expect but it was still incredibly awkward up on screen.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Laterite posted:

I definitely remember a good chunk of the audience laughing during the Watchmen sex scene. Having read the comic I knew what to expect but it was still incredibly awkward up on screen.

the leonard cohen cover song or w/e was one of the bad needle drops of the movie. all along the watchtower cover song also bad

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

should have been straight bob dylan greatest hits

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can they break new ground by having four-breasted mutants/aliens??

Akshully there was a woman with SIX breasts working at Java’s palace as a dancer (the fat one). Lucas was ahead of the curve in boob technology.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i see we're doing the movie version of the bit from calvino where they've got the machine that reduces every book to the ten words most used + ten words used only once

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

There are plenty of other spectacle-type scenes that don't move the narrative forward and they have not been completely excised from cinema

A fist-fight scene doesn't move the narrative forward except in that one person wins -- you could "fade-to-black" that too and just show one person all beat up and the other one not, but it is generally accepted that everybody likes to see fist-fights and it's not stigmatized in any way. The same goes for larger-scale battles -- you can usually tell pretty easily from looking at a battle's aftermath who won and who lost. Dancing scenes, a lot of songs (counting the ones that take 2 minutes 35 seconds to communicate what could have been a single line of dialogue), etc. I'm not saying to cut out everything fun from movies, I'm saying that people are completely okay with stuff in movies being there just for fun, with this one exception, because American society is particularly prudish.

A lot of conversations don't move the narrative but characterize the participants; sex scenes (and fist-fights!) could do this too

you do know you can look at infinite amounts of titties online right. you can jerk off that instead

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Tankbuster posted:

>historical accuracy

Are you going to talk about how scottish people didn't wear kilts during braveheart?

I listened to the Braveheart commentary with Mel Gibson ages ago and he said that the main liberty they took was that Isabella would have been three years old during the time the story takes place

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Also the Last Samurai has really good male bonding and is very pretty to look at.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"story" is like the least interesting thing in any given movie. stories are to tell babies at bedtime. i watch movies to see cool stuff happen.

:hmmyes:

visual spectacle is a key ingredient of movies. show me something.

babypolis posted:

you do know you can look at infinite amounts of titties online right. you can jerk off that instead

worldstar isn't a replacement for Rocky III

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean the obvious response is "you can just open Spotify to hear music, you can just play Street Fighter if you want fistfights, and you can just read a book if you want narrative" but I actually do think the increased ease and convenience of titty-viewing of the modern era has at least a little to do with why there aren't sex scenes in movies anymore yeah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think the reason is because tittyballs make a movie rated R and then it can't gross a billion dollars

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its because horror movies are now about a single mother with a young kid in a suburban home being sort of attacked by a metaphor for postpartum depression, while in the past they were about 5-15 teenagers played by 30 year olds being killed mid coitus by a really tall guy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I think the reason is because tittyballs make a movie rated R and then it can't gross a billion dollars

yeah and i think international audiences outside europe are more conservative on titties

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

yeah and i think international audiences outside europe are more conservative on titties

I don't think that's true for Japan or Korea

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

its because horror movies are now about a single mother with a young kid in a suburban home being sort of attacked by a metaphor for postpartum depression, while in the past they were about 5-15 teenagers played by 30 year olds being killed mid coitus by a really tall guy

this made me laugh really hard

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Or South America

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

are those markets significant for box office though? I could be wrong but I think internationally they're mainly trying to appeal to China/SEA and India, and to a lesser extent Latin America, which as a bloc probably dwarf Japan and Korea

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

deadpool has ryan gosling getting pegged and loving it and only made 783 million at the box office

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

deadpool has ryan gosling getting pegged and loving it and only made 783 million at the box office

i think it was reynolds. if it was gosling i'd definitely remember it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sorry that's right. detective pikachu

edit: I found the scene and he actually did not love it. memory isn't what it used to be

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

It's R rated so why not have 3 minutes of some of the horniest footage I've ever seen in a movie. I went and saw it with my dad and he can't really handle that or men kissing on film

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

edit: I found the scene and he actually did not love it. memory isn't what it used to be

lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

barely 3/4 of the way there

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous when he has to sit through 3 minutes of cinema that are not strictly necessary to the film's narrative: dramatic_guy_on_beach_meme.jpg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh, poo poo, there's a joke in there about how he considers three minutes of sex too long IRL too but I can't stick the landing on it without making it feel too mean

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

no its ok i can take it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lay it on me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Antonymous posted:

lay it on me

its over already, didnt you notice

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
freddie gibbs' new album is good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

its over already, didnt you notice

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/t3rr0rgheist_/status/1575965446456500224?t=1tuuQxFl-FUFYBUhfbAjGQ&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Me, fast-forwarding through the parade scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off: What a waste of time, if I wanted to see this I'd simply go to a German cultural celebration myself and climb onto their largest float while playing The Beatles on my phone speaker. I simply must know the next step in Ed Rooney's investigative process and I must know it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Ducks-Two-Years-Oil-Sands/dp/1770462899/

wow kate beaton's book finally came out