Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shageletic posted:

Does Tom Cruise have the best run in movies? Discuss

i was so loving excited when they fit in the scene of him running at the end of top gun 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think with Cruise it just depends on how you feel about the different phases of his career. There's gonna be some people who love his 80s stuff but not necessarily the Mission Impossible series which dominates his filmography later on. If you're someone who loves Top Gun/The Firm/Rainman/A Few Good Men, also loves stuff like Magnolia/Eyes Wide Shut/Vanilla Sky, AND loves the more recent blockbusters, yea you could argue he has the best overall career of any actor ever.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
As far as actors goes, Meiko Kaji starred in a bunch of classics and zero bad movies over her career. Her career as a star only lasted about 12 years, but if you see her face on the poster, you are almost definitely going to see a very good movie.

I would argue that Hideo Gosha's 13 movie run as a director between 1964 and 1982 is the greatest run by any filmmaker any time, any where. There are 7 bona fide classics (Three Outlaw Samurai, Goyokin, Sword of the Beast, Tenchu, Hunter in the Dark, The Wolves, Violent Streets), a bunch more bangers, and zero bad movies.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Shageletic posted:

I think that honor must go to Josh Hawley.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Robert Patrick in T2 still gets my vote. Cruise's running scene in M:I 3 is a strong contender, though.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

filmcynic posted:

Robert Patrick in T2

Hands down

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Athena on Netflix is a great ride, especially if you're fond of continuous shot set pieces. I'm not sure it's up to its pretensions. It wants to be a more action heavy La Haine but ends up closer to The Warriors, which is not bad bar to reach.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xand_Man posted:

Hands down

No, he actually waves them around quite emphatically as he runs.

Which owns, it looks like he is uppercutting the air.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Admiral Snackbar posted:

I think that honor must go to Josh Hawley.

Absolute savagery

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

High Warlord Zog posted:

Athena on Netflix is a great ride, especially if you're fond of continuous shot set pieces. I'm not sure it's up to its pretensions. It wants to be a more action heavy La Haine but ends up closer to The Warriors, which is not bad bar to reach.

Netflix put a big making of on Youtube, just make sure to see the movie first, it's breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zvbNOAGrc

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

dokmo posted:

Scott Adkins interviewed Eric Jacobus on his most recent show, creator of excellent martial arts shorts over the years. Which led me to see what EJ is up to these days, and I see he made a really good video essay on screen kicking recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlYP4IfyqU

The tldr of that is, surprisingly no one had put athletic kicks on screen until Bruce Lee came along. That is bonkers to me considering the amount of martial arts talent on film in the 60s.

His short film Rope-a-Dope 2 is incredible. I'm pretty sure I've posted it before, but if you love action, definitely watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VSi7YNr4Y

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

High Warlord Zog posted:

Nice recommendation. Sadly, the film breaks down and I was left a bit disappointed by the end, but it has a ton of super powerful scenes (especially the opening dozen minutes) and great camerawork throughout. I liked how the tight shots were essentially the inverse of stuff I'd seen in Gavras's dads movies where the camera is super far back and you just see soldiers running around

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

filmcynic posted:

Robert Patrick in T2 still gets my vote. Cruise's running scene in M:I 3 is a strong contender, though.

Film fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgrA4UWDcW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRtlU2QOVQo

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
man I don't even know where to begin with the latest Adkins movie - I can't even think of the name and don't see any wiki/imdb page for it it : e: seriously i can't find any mention of it and don't see it on my server anymore... maybe I just dreamed it up in my head :catdrugs:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 4, 2022

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Hirez posted:

man I don't even know where to begin with the latest Adkins movie - I can't even think of the name and don't see any wiki/imdb page for it ot -- you'll wanna see Bullet Train before it since it turns into a Bullet train sequel ) e: e: seriously i can't find any mention of it and don't see it on my server anymore... maybe I just dreamed it..

It wasn't Section 8, was it?
I saw that one and it was dire, but no train stuff.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
yea Section Eight i turned off like 30mins in it was so bad... but yea I don't see the one in my head that I'm thinking of.

e: wtf it's 830am not 830pm... I think I had a crazy :catdrugs: type dream that only exists in my head ignore my previous post lol

e2: now that I've woken up it seems like I started Eight Section; it got so bad that I turned it off and just made up a dream in my head that was really really vivid whos who of people from bullet train (Pitt / Adkins / Bullock as the handler / Keanu as the Conucter; that some how turned into the Kumite on a train type movie that had 1 crew was fighting and the other crew was robbing it

Hirez fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 4, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
bullet train should have been a lot better than it actually was.

also what the hell is with the color matching of the car on this final scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

bullet train should have been a lot better than it actually was.

also what the hell is with the color matching of the car on this final scene

That's a really good summary. Bullet Train, despite having lots of really good individual scenes, was just kind of inert. I think if it had about 5 minutes chopped, primarily out of the inbetween scenes, it'd be a lot better. Not that everything has to be action, but the non action stuff felt very much like filler. I think it's just the rythmn of how people talked. They just stopped and talked. The energy of whatever scene was just gone once they started talking, and then it starts again.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a really good summary. Bullet Train, despite having lots of really good individual scenes, was just kind of inert. I think if it had about 5 minutes chopped, primarily out of the inbetween scenes, it'd be a lot better. Not that everything has to be action, but the non action stuff felt very much like filler. I think it's just the rythmn of how people talked. They just stopped and talked. The energy of whatever scene was just gone once they started talking, and then it starts again.

I was kind of enjoying it then there was a scene near the end that completely turned me off from the movie and I ended up not liking it. Had a ton of potential but overall not great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

B-Rock452 posted:

I was kind of enjoying it then there was a scene near the end that completely turned me off from the movie and I ended up not liking it. Had a ton of potential but overall not great.

Which scene?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Been a long time since I've been as angry at a bullshit ending of a movie like I was with Athena.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I really dig Bullet Train, it's like an early 2000s Smokin' Aces/some Snatch/Tarantino kind of light romp. It had that special sauce I felt. Not so much as an action movie tour de force, just as an offbeat comedy adventure yarn thingy. But I like it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

They just stopped and talked. The energy of whatever scene was just gone once they started talking, and then it starts again.

Just like a train!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dokmo posted:

Been a long time since I've been as angry at a bullshit ending of a movie like I was with Athena.

Yep I was really pissed off. It had already fallen apart quite a bit by then but it lost a ton of good will. A great watch if you just stop it right after the fire extinguisher scene

Heavy Metal posted:

I really dig Bullet Train, it's like an early 2000s Smokin' Aces/some Snatch/Tarantino kind of light romp. It had that special sauce I felt. Not so much as an action movie tour de force, just as an offbeat comedy adventure yarn thingy. But I like it.

i agree that's what it was trying to do ,but it just didn't work. The wolf scenes exemplify this pretty well. Flashbacks to mildly amusing things! That we don't care about! To set up a one minute fight that's halfway decent, then everyone moves on and it didn't matter at all

It felt like guy Ritchie paint by numbers and the final cgi thing was just awful. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't that good. It is kind of funny id never heard of joey king before and now seen her in two movies in a months time.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2022

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Those movies all had really good senses of pace, which Bullet Train does not have. It's especially important/intergral when you've got a geographically small film. For a movie that's set in a confined space, everything seemed really far apart and didn't interact until the plot needed it to. I really liked the idea, and it had a ton of really strong individual scenes, but it did not hold together by any stretch.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Basebf555 posted:

I think with Cruise it just depends on how you feel about the different phases of his career. There's gonna be some people who love his 80s stuff but not necessarily the Mission Impossible series which dominates his filmography later on. If you're someone who loves Top Gun/The Firm/Rainman/A Few Good Men, also loves stuff like Magnolia/Eyes Wide Shut/Vanilla Sky, AND loves the more recent blockbusters, yea you could argue he has the best overall career of any actor ever.
no I think they were saying he's the best at running, on camera

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd love to see him do a villain role again. He's so much fun in Interview with the Vampire and Collateral

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

scene where the female assassin gets poisoned and as she is dying Brad Pitt is mocking her. Just seemed really out of place and kind of mean.

This would have fit in a movie like Smoking Aces but it was a weird tonal shift at least for Pitts character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Martman posted:

i mean i'm super happy that people interpreted it this way too. Cruise contains multitudes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowman_McK posted:

Those movies all had really good senses of pace, which Bullet Train does not have. It's especially important/intergral when you've got a geographically small film. For a movie that's set in a confined space, everything seemed really far apart and didn't interact until the plot needed it to. I really liked the idea, and it had a ton of really strong individual scenes, but it did not hold together by any stretch.

It did for me and the folks I saw it with, but I can see where you're coming from. I personally like the pacing. But we also watched say Where Eagles Dare recently, a bit of different genre mix of course, it is slower paced due to the time period etc, still good. A movie by good ol' Deadpool 2/co-John Wick 1 guy from 2022 is not ignoring pacing. Just different taste, case by case as always.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Yes I figured that out but was hoping nobody would mention it. Thanks

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah even allowing for what Bullet Train was, which was a super stylized quasi-fantasy take on a multiple assassin clusterfuck, it still disappointed.

Some of the fights were OK, I liked the Thomas the Tank Engine thing, and a lot of the actors were really really killing it with what they were given. Both tangerine and lemon had some really great acting.

But overall the script wasn't great and the movie doesn't hang together right.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Scott Adkins keeps posting Accident Man 2 clips and they keep lookin' good.

The actual "real" premise of the franchise appears to be: get great stuntmen/martial artists and have them do an action scene or two with Adkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlrAO_n1VyY

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

It did for me and the folks I saw it with, but I can see where you're coming from. I personally like the pacing. But we also watched say Where Eagles Dare recently, a bit of different genre mix of course, it is slower paced due to the time period etc, still good. A movie by good ol' Deadpool 2/co-John Wick 1 guy from 2022 is not ignoring pacing. Just different taste, case by case as always.

Where Eagles Dare is a brilliant example of being the opposite of Bullet Train. Yeah, it's slower paced, but it's not languid, there's a sense of pressure, things are happening and its characters have to keep moving. There's a clear sense of geography, goal and tension.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Where Eagles Dare is a brilliant example of being the opposite of Bullet Train. Yeah, it's slower paced, but it's not languid, there's a sense of pressure, things are happening and its characters have to keep moving. There's a clear sense of geography, goal and tension.
Where Eagles Dare is one of my all-time favourite movies, and yes, despite being two and a half hours long it never drags. It quite smartly gets the slowest scene (the flashback exposition about the mission) out of the way right up front while also setting the stakes, and from then on keeps cranking up the pressure - as the team goes into the place that any sensible person would be trying to get away from, while having their numbers whittled down one by one - until things inevitably start exploding and you get the visceral payoff of an absolutely ridiculous number of Nazis being machine-gunned, set on fire or stabbed in the kidneys by Clint Eastwood.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, Bolo - get some Fish Oil / Chondroitin in your diet or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllvyM1XCAA&t=14s

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Basebf555 posted:

Yes I figured that out but was hoping nobody would mention it. Thanks
Lol sorry. I didn't notice the discussion had moved on for days

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Payndz posted:

Where Eagles Dare is one of my all-time favourite movies, and yes, despite being two and a half hours long it never drags. It quite smartly gets the slowest scene (the flashback exposition about the mission) out of the way right up front while also setting the stakes, and from then on keeps cranking up the pressure - as the team goes into the place that any sensible person would be trying to get away from, while having their numbers whittled down one by one - until things inevitably start exploding and you get the visceral payoff of an absolutely ridiculous number of Nazis being machine-gunned, set on fire or stabbed in the kidneys by Clint Eastwood.

I wasn't intending to throw any shade at Where Eagles Dare, far from it. It rocks, goes down smooth. I myself did find it to feel a little slower paced at times, at least compared to say the spaghetti Westerns I've been watching lately. But so much of how a thing feels isn't just literally pacing, it's a lot of factors.

Like, not to get all nuts and bolts on us having different opinions on Bullet Train, but saying you don't want all those dialogue scenes etc, that to me would say you mainly don't like the writing, aren't connecting to the characters and the tone they're going for. Which would make you less patient with the laid-back pacing etc. A movie could be slow as molasses, but if you're hooked you're hooked, if you're not you're not.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 8, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just watched Bullet Train myself and quite liked it. It gets a little silly later on with some of the stuff that happens to the train, without spoiling, but otherwise the colorful cast and constant twists and turns made it a fresh and pleasant experience. 7/10

E: it's closer to Ambulance than it is to Top Gun:Maverick, as far as the year's action flicks go.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Eric Jacobus does another deep dive, this time into the development of Donnie Yen's action style. I hope he keeps making these videos, they are a tremendous resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XTAyoYv1c