Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

JFC, all the chuds came out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vargo posted:

Weren't... weren't you also illegal gambling at a middle school?
They're the protagonists of the arc, it's okay if they do it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Welcome to FLASHLIGHT WEEK

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 3-8, 1984)

Bullwinkle

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A pretty rough chuckle for Rocky and Bullwinkle today.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:stare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mister Beeg posted:

Nope. "Bullwinkle", "George of the Jungle" (and the lesser known "Hoppity Hooper") were produced by Jay Ward in Hollywood, while "Underdog", "King Leonardo", and "Tennessee Tuxedo" were produced by Total Television in New York.

However, both companies had connections. Both were primarily sponsored by General Mills, and in turn both companies had their animation work done in Mexico at Gamma Productions, which was formed by General Mills to produce animation on the cheap. So while they were two different firms, they both used the same animation staff.

THAT'S why both companies' outputs had such similar styles, they were literally sharing animators.

If memory serves: Howard Stern's father, Ben, ran the soundboard for the voice talent on the New York productions.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yup.

A toy with the heft of a cast-iron doorstop! And we'll make new memories! Horrible, horrible new memories!

And Yup.

They just quit jobs that they very recently rehired for, just to go back to what's been long established as a failing revival house, but this time they're running it on a rich actor's dime. Feels like another "Dudes rock!" moral to me, but did we really have to break the timeline to get here?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 5, 1934)

Peanuts (October 3, 1975)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 2, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 21-23, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 30, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mark looks like he's wearing a Spider-Man suit.

Mary Worth

"If they do follow my advice, that's also on them. I am responsible for none of the damage wrought under any circumstance. It's great."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I'm gonna be away for a couple days, so I won't be updating until Sunday or more likely Monday. If anyone just has to know if Hank Jr has that dessert (prediction: he does) and wants to post any or all of my usual lineup, feel free. Otherwise I'll do a catch up post when I'm back.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope the spaceship find a way to kill again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Huxley posted:

I hope the spaceship find a way to kill again.

It's a toy "spaceship" made of solid metal, weighting 2-3 pounds. Someone is going to toss it straight up, and it will come crashing down on some kid's soft spot in their skull.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Y'know... Since hanging is something that happens a lot in Blueberry also... Where the hell did it come from? Is it solely British?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'd never read Gil Thorp until it started getting posted here, and I admit I'm still a bit lost as to who most of the characters are. But wow, did the masks ever come off in that comments section. :stare:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Not sure what's going on with Billy's shirt situation there. Football jersey over a dress shirt?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "488 - Jucika And The Parachute Jump Target"

"489 - Jucika Signs"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Bad Suki

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Storefri

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kennel posted:

Sazae-san reference?

(the only thing I know about that is that the intro has a cat with fish)
:wink:
Nekonaughey

[Success! for Runaway Cat]

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

i like these two i hope they stick around more than their other neighbors

that said Ted we've all seen plenty of bathing suit strips you're both fit for your [undisclosed] age, now get out there and hike up a mountain

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kind of a letdown after yesterday's drama. The just sports strips are always a letdown though.

As far as the "wokeness" of the strip goes, I just gotta say that these kids are in high school. That's the perfect age to get up on a stage and say something that will piss off all the authority figures in the audience. Also the people pissed about this irl are probably the same people pissed that Lizzo played a historical flute they never knew existed before yesterday.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Cthulhu and Girl

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 30-November 1, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (January 26-28, 1920)

Dok's "Your Sword Is Invincible, Your But Feathered rear end Is Eminently Permeable" Duck (May 18, 1914)

Blondie From Court TV (November 28-30, 1932)

Just before I did Lefty for tonight, what was left of the tropical storm tried to blow our lights out several times, so best to get posting while the getting's good...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 1, 2022

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True August 17, 1919

And He Did! September 3, 1919

Cat Tales August 1, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 22, 1937

Mopsy April 8, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out September 3, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems October 14, 1952

Those Were the Days September 27, 1962

Wee Pals October 15, 1966

Dogbert August 31, 1967

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

So It Seems October 14, 1952

Some things never change. Well, except the clothes - wild to think that people used to get that dressed up to go to the movies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Crosby edition)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Now there's the Screamers who react, loudly, to every little thing that happens in horror movies or suspenseful moments. And the Motherfuckers Who Won't Turn Off Their Goddamn Phone.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

thanksmas. again. ten thousand years thanksmas.

Next time: baby time. yay.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now there's the Screamers who react, loudly, to every little thing that happens in horror movies or suspenseful moments. And the Motherfuckers Who Won't Turn Off Their Goddamn Phone.

Don't forget "Couple who brought their baby who starts crying every 10 minutes"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now there's the Screamers who react, loudly, to every little thing that happens in horror movies or suspenseful moments.

Don't forget the people who shout instructions to the characters, especially in horror movies. "OH DON'T GO IN THERE! OH poo poo, NO! OH poo poo, SHE'S GOING IN THERE! WHY WOULD YOU GO IN THERE?"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

They're the lead character from Qrais' manga Register-cat!

(thread OP voice) Gosh, sure is a shame nobody posts Register-cat comics. I wonder how they compare to Retail?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Alistair making the mistake of riding off assuming everything is going to plan, like all evil masterminds..., or Angel face is in the mood for some long pig trotters, or Jim and Red to the rescue! Oh God, Mike's gonna die, isn't he?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Jaybird the Mudlark is a peacock?

I'm starting to remember the last time Gil Thorp was posted in the thread and eventually dropped. Somebody thought it was worth posting because of a one-off interesting sounding plot hook. But that plot hook never goes anywhere, and most of the time the comic is just bewilderingly boring until another one-off interesting plot hook shows up.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

this sucks man

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 24, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Some Guy TT posted:

(thread OP voice) Gosh, sure is a shame nobody posts Register-cat comics. I wonder how they compare to Retail?

No promises, but I might! Here's the first one to give you the general idea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Is it a coincidence that Copper looks like a less eyebrow-licious copy of Golgo 13 or is there a story there? Or is it just me?