Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I bought 20 monopose plastic Skaven for £3.20 off Ebay. Will methylated spirits be safe to use to strip them or is it going to melt them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nothing about this thumbnail feels dishonest at all. Nope not one single thing. 🤦

I loved seeing that after complaining about him. :perfect:

Some painters don't like giving colour recipes because they want you to experiment and mix, but still show the process and explain what they're looking for. If you watch a Vince V video you shouldn't skip anything because he is dropping tips all the time, you never know which of these off hand nuggets will solve a huge issue. Citadels masterclass demonstrate their brush work and highlight placement in huge detail, so although their topics are usually not what I care for they're often worth watching. The other day I pulled the old citadel how to paint minis book off my shelf and was surprised, I'd forgotten how much they packed in there.

Squidmars videos are so light you can cut most of it for no loss of knowledge. They are more demonstrations that a technique exists, and then you go watch someone else to learn the technique. It's a vehicle for Squidmar branding, and Emil is playing a character for the audience, but idk I remember him being a lot better at actually teaching stuff before the algorithm got him.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I suspect once you decide to do YouTube for a living, you go from "I'll make videos I want to make teaching people what I'm good at" to "I must ruthlessly please the algorithm and become a Personal Brand™ or I don't eat."

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

The other day I pulled the old citadel how to paint minis book off my shelf and was surprised, I'd forgotten how much they packed in there.

I occasionally flip through the old blue covered one and the basic talk ahead of all the painting steps is still very good reading about various techniques. I'd love to get my mitts on the others but they never really go for cheap on second hand from what I've seen.
Especially the terrain book.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nothing about this thumbnail feels dishonest at all. Nope not one single thing. 🤦

lol ya I saw this pop up on my Youtube suggestions and I was like gently caress off.

Used to be a time where I would actually learn a thing or two from Squidmar. Lately I don't know what I'd get from watching any of his new stuff and I guess that's exactly what all his Patreons want from him now. So whatever.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Gambrinus posted:

I bought 20 monopose plastic Skaven for £3.20 off Ebay. Will methylated spirits be safe to use to strip them or is it going to melt them?

The new hotness for plastic in the uk is biostrip, spirits wont melt plastic but its not the best in my experience

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do the AP speedpaints reactivate with water after a few days once they're cured or is it solely a thing within a few hours?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gambrinus posted:

Should be fine, its my paint stripper of choice.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

God dammit I need a havoc launcher for my Tyrant Siege Terminator and the cheapest it is on ebay is $12

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Demilich posted:

God dammit I need a havoc launcher for my Tyrant Siege Terminator and the cheapest it is on ebay is $12

I know, man. Sourcing them where I can from acquaintances with motor pools. Right now this is the only one I have.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do the AP speedpaints reactivate with water after a few days once they're cured or is it solely a thing within a few hours?

Dunno, but I'll do an experiment for science and report my results in a few days.

I do know you can oil paint on top of them in a couple hours with no ill effect.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That's a cool dude.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Who wants to see some cultists?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Grimdark can suck it

wet blending with contrast paints is fun and easy

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Grimdark can suck it

When you wet blend with contrast do you add a retarder at all or just work fast enough?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Speaking of wet blending anyone have a good tutorial? I realized I'm rusty as hell last night when I was trying to ad gradients to a cape

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

When you wet blend with contrast do you add a retarder at all or just work fast enough?

I just worked fast. You have a decent window as it takes a while to dry

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not done, but proof I'm at least trying to get back to this. Most presentable of what's on my work table currently. The tacticals just have basecoat + wash, and honestly I might just leave them at that as "good enough".

Yeah, that's a really solid paintjob. You could take that to the club or FLGS with your head held high. Personally, I'd put a wash on it to darken up the recesses for extra contrast, but that's just a style thing. You're back !

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's a really solid paintjob. You could take that to the club or FLGS with your head held high. Personally, I'd put a wash on it to darken up the recesses for extra contrast, but that's just a style thing. You're back !

"Funny" enough, that *is* after a wash in all the recesses on every surface. Probably going to have to do another round. I don't know why my nuln oil is suddenly not leaving visible shade.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

You don't have to throw wash over the entire thing, just spot apply it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I misread your post. I wouldn't apply a second layer of nuln oil if you've already applied it. If anything you only need to add contrast to the beige/tan portions as they stick out the most, so there I would create a deep wash with a Paynes grey or a blue black.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

The other day I pulled the old citadel how to paint minis book off my shelf and was surprised, I'd forgotten how much they packed in there.
How old is the book and does it have Slap Chop™?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

working mom posted:

The new hotness for plastic in the uk is biostrip, spirits wont melt plastic but its not the best in my experience

Cheers. I'll get round to biostrip at some point but may as well use meths whil I've got some.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Grimdark can suck it

I love the claw thingy, looks so smoothly gradient.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Speaking of wet blending anyone have a good tutorial? I realized I'm rusty as hell last night when I was trying to ad gradients to a cape

Vince, as always: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDppIYBhdv0

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Are there any other model kits which have good bits to use for kitbashing? I was looking at Zoids but that poo poo is way too expensive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Squirt guns and thrift store playsets, and my friend says this (repainted) Lightyear spaceship is on clearance:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Painted some Zombies for my Gravelords army. All contrast paints, except for metals.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

moths posted:

Squirt guns and thrift store playsets, and my friend says this (repainted) Lightyear spaceship is on clearance:

People have been bringing that up for terrain and it's tempting

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Funzo posted:

Painted some Zombies for my Gravelords army. All contrast paints, except for metals.

I really need to get me a box of those.

Also, I painted Cthulhu Moses.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Siivola posted:

How old is the book and does it have Slap Chop™?

2008 and yes imo this counts as chapslop.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Such a shame they got rid of their glazes. But I guess that's contrasts nowadays.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Their glazes were good and they should have kept them over, say, the "dry" line.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

2008 and yes imo this counts as chapslop.

Amazing, thank you.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Funzo posted:

Absolutely awesome looking. What colour did you use for the skin?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Absolutely awesome looking. What colour did you use for the skin?

Plaguebearer flesh. I wanted to try out the "slapchop" thing. These were primed with Pro Acryl black brown, heavy drybrush of Zandri dust, light drybrush white over that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Funzo posted:

Plaguebearer flesh. I wanted to try out the "slapchop" thing. These were primed with Pro Acryl black brown, heavy drybrush of Zandri dust, light drybrush white over that.

I've discovered that you can get some insanely cool color depth with this exact recipe if you undercoat certain parts with a very very bright magenta before drybrushing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Poor photo, might get a better one when I can put a proper light box together, but checking in: one Rhino tactical squad done. Some assembly flaws and some mold lines that didn't show up until after I'd already primed, most of these models will get replaced over time, but in the interim it's a complete squad at least. Camera lens is damaged so proper focus is a nightmare to get.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 2, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The new line of contrast paints are really really fun and will mix nicely with each other so you can wet blend them and do poo poo like this:

edit: it's just a blend of these three for the hook (and just the left two on the jacket)

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 2, 2022