Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh yeah you hosed up that part.

One more: I was working at a bank and when the old lovely as400 system stops working right, we delete a temporary file. This happens constantly so I wrote a script (without telling anyone or having it properly tested). My script didn't just delete the temporary file, it deleted the entire config folder. Also there was one config folder for the entire company so I brought down the bank's entire uh... banking platform thing? I don't know what you'd call it but nobody could do any work in the entire company. The people who manage the system wanted to get C suite involved because they needed to break glass to restore from backup but I owned up right away and my boss's boss went in there and twisted their arm to fix it immediately. Luckily it was late afternoon on a Friday and the system was usually lovely anyways so not many people noticed.

Use proper change management for your automation, people.

In retrospect, the part that was their fault is they probably should have done more knowledge transfer on the way the system works instead of just "delete this file when it breaks"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
one time while removing a module from the backplane of a massive UPS like this:

I didn't properly power it down, so when I pulled out the module I touched the 220 line feed from the street against the frame of the unit. The resulting spark shot the module out into my chest slamming me into the wall, it melted a chunk of the frame, welded the connector to the post, and took out power to the entire floor of the building.

This happened minutes after the markets closed, so the trading floor didn't even really mind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I ran a software update on an access control system in the middle of the day which then pushed a firmware update to all the door controllers, causing them to fail locked for the duration of the update. The door controllers communicated with each other via a daisy-chained RS485 serial link, and there were about 40 of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The worst fuckup I did recently was when I was in the AV portal blocking some spyware and I told it to block the parent process. That parent process was explorer.exe. So once the policy got pushed down to everyone, Windows stopped working for everyone. Even my PC.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GreenNight posted:

The worst fuckup I did recently was when I was in the AV portal blocking some spyware and I told it to block the parent process. That parent process was explorer.exe. So once the policy got pushed down to everyone, Windows stopped working for everyone. Even my PC.

That's just good UI design, so sparse as to be useless. You just got a preview of Windows 13

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AV should have a level of sense checking to prevent you blocking things like explorer.exe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

AV should have a level of sense checking to prevent you blocking things like explorer.exe

You'd think. But they expect folks to be smart too apparently. At the time it was Cisco AMP which is now Cisco Secure Endpoint.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd think. But somehow someone committed the code for a new feature in our software in such a way that it lets any user bypass account restrictions and edit certain types of data they don't have permission to change. Because it doesn't actually check the permissions, it just assumes because you have access to the feature you're allowed to use it anywhere.

This made it all the way to production on our largest customer, where users promptly started using it and made a mess of things. :yotj:

Unless someone specifically outlines the 'sense check' in the design document, it won't get built.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My mentor during my internship wanted to go home after lunch on Friday but had to reboot the exchange server after business hours (decades ago, so no remoting in).

We came back from lunch as he suddenly yelled “OH NO!! There’s a major issue with our exchange server”. Walked into the server room, came out 30s laters and said: “fixed the issue with a reboot, going home now”.

The hard reboot broke one of the disks, one coworker spent the afternoon fixing it while the rest of us had to man the phone telling people the email server was indeed down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What a legend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
In hopes to give context to some of you that are on the fence about being ethical with our employment, here is what I am dealing with right now.

One of my orgs, the HR C level is totally unreachable during the hours of 9-6. She often sends a flury of emails and teams messages before 9 and then again after 6. Their calendar is blocked off with meetings one after another, with double bookings and even triple bookings. Its basically booked to the gills for the next 90 days.

Almost all of these meetings only have her as the participant. I know this as they are all set to private but I finally decided to loving snoop. I snooped, because she has had this terrible habit of calling me during dinner because time zones are hard and she wont' respond any other times. This has become a pattern and I have decided its a security event.

Obviously she is either doing nothing or she has multiple jobs. The other c-suite might know or they might not. but I am 100% confident that this person has no issue laying anyone off or firing someone for finding people double employed as she has talked about it openly as something she despises.

You do you and don't feel bad about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you doing anything or just holding it for some mutually assured destruction? If you've given yourself read access on her calendar then do you have to account for that somewhere?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you doing anything or just holding it for some mutually assured destruction? If you've given yourself read access on her calendar then do you have to account for that somewhere?

Guessing he is the one who sees access logs, and isn't going to report himself, but the bit about it being a security issue is also CYA.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My new job that is exactly 1 month old is already experiencing a shake up with my boss (CTO) being let go. So uhhh that’s cool. I continue to be a harbinger of doom.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Well the point of doing two jobs is that you can be at least pretend to do one of them in some meaningful way. If you cant attend any meetings, make any calls, or respond to email.... then you basically deserve to be outed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Are you able to see the meetings have only 1 attendee because you are looking through a security lens of some sort?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Well the point of doing two jobs is that you can be at least pretend to do one of them in some meaningful way. If you cant attend any meetings, make any calls, or respond to email.... then you basically deserve to be outed.

No sure, I'm more asking whether anything gets flagged at your org when you grant yourself permission to read an HR employees calendar, or are you the person that would get the alert?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Are you able to see the meetings have only 1 attendee because you are looking through a security lens of some sort?

Probably using the o365 legal hold features to dump her calendar. That's how I would do it. :ssh:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I can read my companys calendar because the gmail default admin gets calendar read permits apparently :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You use an admin account day-to-day? :gonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

lol

I have a master key login to any client server with maximum permissions in the UI, and while more difficult I can absolutely get in and give myself root access to the back end to gently caress with base levels of code. This gives me absolutely stupid levels of access to PII and other things that'd probably make the Actual IT Department at my company and our clients' stroke out.

My job title is documentation. Security is theater, and everyone at this company is reading off a different sheet of music.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

App13 posted:

Windows PCs in a domain environment. Unfortunately the backup server is not on the domain so it’s kind of a nightmare. The only guy who can put the server on the domain is stretched so thin I can see daylight through him

I was going to throw powershell at it but the permissions and scopes and everything are a nightmare.

Robocopy will do this as well. I’ve created a script that produces all of the diffs by using the dry run command.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. CONTEST IS
OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND
WORLDWIDE, EXCEPT FOR QUEBEC, CRIMEA, CUBA, IRAN, SYRIA, NORTH KOREA, and
SUDAN.

https://capturetheflag.withgoogle.com/rules1

Quebec are terrorists?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

SUDAN.

Quebec are terrorists?

Google probably didn't want to set up a second completely identical mock datacenter in French :v:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Security is for thee not for me peasent

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the biggest gently caress up I did was accidentally deploy a bunch of test transactions into the live database, which lead to about $200k worth of expedites/missed freight charges. Thankfully my boss at the time was understanding enough that I was at least trying to use the test system, but accidentally ran the script in the live system. We updated our testing process after that and basically walled off the test system into it's own domain so it couldn't happen again.

I was like 24 and barely knew what I was doing, so something like that was bound to happen eventually.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

I think the biggest gently caress up I did was accidentally deploy a bunch of test transactions into the live database, which lead to about $200k worth of expedites/missed freight charges. Thankfully my boss at the time was understanding enough that I was at least trying to use the test system, but accidentally ran the script in the live system. We updated our testing process after that and basically walled off the test system into it's own domain so it couldn't happen again.

I was like 24 and barely knew what I was doing, so something like that was bound to happen eventually.

You know... this reminds me.
Since we're looking at backup systems, nearly all of them offer the ability to restore over your existing servers, but also to another location like a test environment.
Segregating the two environments is easy enough, but restoring to the wrong location is as easy as tapping your scroll wheel just before you click "ok." in nearly all of them. I think at least one of our candidates gives a separate popup warning notifying you that you're about to overwrite something but I'm terrified that someone is going to gently caress up a test restoration one day.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

SUDAN.

Quebec are terrorists?

https://www.liveabout.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835

quote:

The reason why so many sweepstakes are void in Quebec is that the sponsors must follow a stringent set of laws set out by Quebec's Regie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ), which governs alcohol, lotteries, contests, gambling, and more.

Lots of places simply don't bother even running their stuff in Quebec because the law is a big PITA apparently

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
A whole state of frenchaboos lol gently caress em

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I assumed quebec was part of the axis of evil.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
they are, no company anywhere wants to spend the money to be compliant with their archaic laws

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

A whole state of frenchaboos lol gently caress em

Ouiaboos was right there!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Ouiaboos is difficult to spell, but on the other hand it is reminiscent of ouroboros which may or may not be meaningful

palindrome fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 1, 2022

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

johnny park posted:

https://www.liveabout.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835

Lots of places simply don't bother even running their stuff in Quebec because the law is a big PITA apparently

I used to live in Canada and can swear vilely in Quebec French.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/jyO1ILQAGsU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Montreal was nice to visit. I liked it more than Paris.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

navyjack posted:

Tabarnak Caliss!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

navyjack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

But if you really think about it blocking explorer.exe is a highly effective way to secure windows. Malware and viruses will be stopped dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

they are, no company anywhere wants to spend the money to be compliant with their archaic laws

Great place to visit, but yeah.