Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

DamnitGannet posted:

i dont know anything about take and bake stuff, if we do that at my warehouse its not done in food court. the chicken bakes you get from the food court come frozen, they're brushed with Caesar dressing and then topped with parmesan before getting popped in the oven. they used to be made in house but that was pre pandemic and before my time there. we do so many pizzas, i'm amazed there was time to make the bakes and all the other things they used to have on the menu.

Seems like Costco has really been cutting costs in the food court. Frozen bakes, fewer items on the menu overall, driving traffic to the order kiosks as well as fewer staff behind the counter (at least at my location).

IMO it's driven down the value of the food court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
There aren't fewer staff behind the counter at my location, but they do heavily push people towards the kiosk ordering so the staff can focus on serving food. Which is great in my opinion. Nothing more frustrating than picking the wrong line and getting stuck behind a group of people that don't decide what they want until they get there, then asking a bunch of questions, trying to convince the staff to do their special order, letting their children slowly think about what they want and talk through a decision and faffing about with their payment. Now if they want to spend 15 minutes ordering and having a chat the staff can get on with things and I can "jump" them in the queue by placing my order through one of the 6 kiosks in 30 seconds.

I also like the limited menu, it's not a restaurant, it's just stuff that's broadly appealing for people to grab and go. Keep it simple and don't make it so appealing that the locals come every day for cheap food and clog up the whole place.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My 'co shrouds their register in pizza boxes to make it appear the only option is the kiosk. Because I am not a boomer I use the kiosk regardless because it's so much faster.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was told the reason for chicken bakes coming in frozen now is so they're consistent with quality. Before they could either be real good or real lovely depending on who was making them. I'm sure it's actually about money, but that was the reason I was given. In fact, everything served from the food court comes in frozen except for the hot dogs and the cheese.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

The turkey sandwich was good

as time goes on i miss it more and more. it was delicious.

:sigh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The polish dog and chicken Cesar salad was gods combo and it’s poo poo they took that away from us.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I don’t think you can even do a non-kiosk order at my Costco anymore.

Which is fine with me, as long as the drat people waiting for whole pizzas get out of the way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pro tip: when you're checking out you can ask the cashier to add a hot dog or whatever to your purchase and skip the kiosk

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Heading into synagogue tomorrow to stock up on some essentials - and even more non-essentials.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shear Modulus posted:

Pro tip: when you're checking out you can ask the cashier to add a hot dog or whatever to your purchase and skip the kiosk
^ Done this all the time for years. If it's close to closing and someone is in front of me in line, I leave my cart and walk to the food court real quick to check if they have any of the food I want left, then tell them to hold that for me before ordering from the register and letting them know I checked.

MarcusSA posted:

The polish dog and chicken Cesar salad was gods combo and it’s poo poo they took that away from us.
Honestly I loved the polish dog but I'm fine with the newer hot dog that's somewhere inbetween the polish and the old hot dog; also less gas issues. Kirkland also makes a polish dog you can boil up at home.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 1, 2022

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Ordered two pairs of glasses on Sunday. The first pair arrived yesterday and the second pair arrived today. My eyes have experienced the miracle of high quality, affordable glasses once again.

PUBC

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think we all feel this way sometimes

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmCV7Lp/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The chicken bake machine was down today.

I cannot believe this I had to drive 45 miles to get a chicken bake. It's bullshit

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

You buy other things at Costco besides hot dogs??

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I’ve been eating a lot of the semi prepared meals recently since I moved and haven’t unpacked / settled yet. Chicken tikka, kebabs on naan, meatloaf, and pulled pork. I hadn’t had the pulled pork before but it’s not great. Basically tasted like shredded ham cooked in liquid smoke. But put it on the ciabattaesque rolls with some sauce and cheese and it’s pretty good!

Also the closest church used to be an hour+ away, now it’s only a 10 minute drive. PBUC.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Where was that?

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm also curious what place you're talking about because that's exactly how I would describe the place I would go to all the time and still do when I visit my parents. The Livonia Italian Bakery has the best take and bake pizzas I've ever had.

You know, that might be it! I guess I never really went there myself, my dad would pick them up on his way home from work.

Fake edit: Just looked at some pics on Yelp and that's 100% the right place. I'd know that pizza anywhere. Glad to know the business is still around.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Pro-tip: no, you can't, at least not at all locations. They had it for a very short time available here and then stopped doing it, I assume because people had meltdowns when the kitchen ran out of whatever they wanted and/or it pushed the "taking 15 minutes to order" problem to the checkouts.

It's kiosk or nothing here, the only time the staff will let you order at the counter is if you insist on paying cash and can't be convinced otherwise.

Frozen chicken bakes chat is interesting - I figured the unsold raw chicken breast got turned into the packs of shredded cooked chicken breast, which would in turn get made into the caesar salad or other food court items like the bakes the day before expiry. Sounds like that's not the case.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Here you're given an option between Kiosk or counter.

Kiosk is objectively better, but the one down side is that while you're ordering you're forced to listen to boomers complain how hard it is to tap a picture of the food they want to eat.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

once they installed the kiosks here, they got rid of the counter register altogether. that’s the best way imo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They only allow counter orders with cash at mine

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My old move was to call a pizza pie in when I got there then pay at register and pick up. Do they not accept phone orders any more?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

It's weird reading about food court strategies because at my local, the huge backup at the food court *is* the line of people waiting for orders from checkout and has been for years, so the kiosks changed the dynamic very little.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Going to order an induction range from Costco but I'm not sure if I want the Samsung or spend $800 more for the LG with convection. Help.

evil zorak
Jul 26, 2022
Is this legit that the onions won’t come back? Onions and mustard and relish made that cheese pizza even more of a steal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

StormDrain posted:

Going to order an induction range from Costco but I'm not sure if I want the Samsung or spend $800 more for the LG with convection. Help.

Will you miss the 800 dollars? If no, get the convection.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hed posted:

My old move was to call a pizza pie in when I got there then pay at register and pick up. Do they not accept phone orders any more?

They still take phone orders at mine. You're directed to the kiosk to pay. A prompt appears asking if you've already phoned ahead.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Bought two pairs of the zip off hiking pants when they were on sale a couple weeks ago. Went to put on the second pair for the first time this morning and it only has one leg attached... :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dms666 posted:

Bought two pairs of the zip off hiking pants when they were on sale a couple weeks ago. Went to put on the second pair for the first time this morning and it only has one leg attached... :(
Oh, the OP found the rare Horseman Co's All-Terrain Dicksling.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

StormDrain posted:

I'm looking at the website and the LG with convection is $1000 off right now

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Don’t buy Samsung appliances, especially not a fridge.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

evil zorak posted:

Is this legit that the onions won’t come back? Onions and mustard and relish made that cheese pizza even more of a steal.

As of yesterday they officially removed any sign of the onion dispensers at my store. The sawed off the dispenser mounts and filled in that little space where stray onions would go. Truly the end of an era. Won’t stop people asking me about them though. And the sauerkraut.

I like helping our elderly members with the self kiosks because it gives me a chance to get out of the kitchen for a few minutes and the members are always surprised at how easy it turns out to be. “You’re a born natural,” I tell them :3:

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 1, 2022

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
idk if I missed anyone answering but the refrigerated take and bake pizzas were in service deli and absolutely not the same as the food court pizza. They came frozen with the cheese and sauce already applied and we just threw a dumb amount of pepperoni or extra cheese on that poo poo and slapped a label on it. We haven't had them at my location for about 2 years now and I usually heard they were kinda trash

There was one year were we sold this 2 pack of take and back flatbread pizzas and those were legit good imo. One was a basic pizza topped with halved meatballs, parmesan, a pesto drizzle, and I think sliced bell peppers? the other was a bbq chicken pizza. They took too long to prep compared to the basic frozen ones and didn't sell well enough to justify the extra labor though, so rip. Sucks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmqCS5o/

https://i.imgur.com/hVbuYv6.mp4

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 1, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:smith:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dude really wanted his raw onions I guess.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

One day I feel like buying a knife pack, a 2 pack of cutting boards, and a couple bags of onions and just go to town dicing onions for people in the costco food court.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

by golly, he's right! they do need to have the raw onions!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just buy a container of chopped mushrooms and put it next to the mustard

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

El Jebus posted:

One day I feel like buying a knife pack, a 2 pack of cutting boards, and a couple bags of onions and just go to town dicing onions for people in the costco food court.

Swear to god I thought this same thing after watching that video. I don't think that'd fly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've heard that sam's club still has onions for their hot dogs...