Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'Just draw the out' doesn't really work for Mine anymore now that people are protecting it with Beat Cop. Now you have to draw the out TWICE.

Card needs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just draw Cosmic Cyclone, it's not that hard! /s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'd like each player to get a few turns to try and make their decks do their thing and end in a time which is enjoyable for all parties involved. I am an idealist and have no real ideas on how to achieve any of this. It's just what I'd like.

Then your problem isn't with Mystic Mine, it's with every other topping deck in the format. Mine gives you a very large amount of turns!

Vandar posted:

'Just draw the out' doesn't really work for Mine anymore now that people are protecting it with Beat Cop. Now you have to draw the out TWICE.

Card needs to go.

A: Boo hoo, you need to draw TWO outs. When I'm facing Swordsoul I need to draw four in one turn, and THEN deal with a 3k/4k beater that only gets stronger every time I try to kill it.

B: You know, as I recall the problem with Mystic Mine Burn was that they'd circumvent Mine's own backfire/destruction mechanic by playing no monsters, thereby never having more monsters than their opponent. Sounds to me like Mine players actually became easier to deal with by playing Beat Cop.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're not maindecking Counter Cleaner are you even trying to win

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Just draw Cosmic Cyclone, it's not that hard! /s

Great, you draw Cosmic Cyclone, and then lose because of TCG time rules. :v:

Cleretic posted:

Then your problem isn't with Mystic Mine, it's with every other topping deck in the format. Mine gives you a very large amount of turns!

A: Boo hoo, you need to draw TWO outs. When I'm facing Swordsoul I need to draw four in one turn, and THEN deal with a 3k/4k beater that only gets stronger every time I try to kill it.

B: You know, as I recall the problem with Mystic Mine Burn was that they'd circumvent Mine's own backfire/destruction mechanic by playing no monsters, thereby never having more monsters than their opponent. Sounds to me like Mine players actually became easier to deal with by playing Beat Cop.

A: The difference is that Swordsouls actually have to build a board and you have a chance to stop it or slow it down with things like hand traps. Mine is one single card that shuts down half the game just by activating it.

B: You summon the Beat Cop and then immediately tribute it for its effect so that you don't have any monsters, and thus now Mine is online.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Vandar posted:

Card needs to go.

Can't you just cosmic cyclone go through beatcop protection? just draw the out and pray they cant stop it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jehuti posted:

Can't you just cosmic cyclone go through beatcop protection? just draw the out and pray they cant stop it.

It can, and then you end up losing because of TCG time rules. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vandar posted:

Then play more outs, so you draw them more often. I don't see how this is difficult for people.

As a bonus, the outs tend to also work on other decks as well! You can chew up some of the Adventure engine with some backrow removal.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Because there's not that many decks in the current meta that require backrow removal in the form of a spell or trap so running that many outs just for one card is quite frankly ridiculous. It also doesn't change the fact that, y'know...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mystic Mine is a completely unreasonable card since it
- disabled the primary win condition of attacking
- turns off the vast majority of the outs to it
- ruins almost every combo/search line in the game

There is no point in YGO's history at which it would've been a reasonable card, it should be killed.

^This all still applies.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Vandar posted:

I would simply swing for game since they lost mine protection, i have 8 cards, and have less monsters then me :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jehuti posted:

I would simply swing for game since they lost mine protection, i have 8 cards, and have less monsters then me :v:

By the time you've drawn through your deck to get to the Cosmic and you activate it, time gets called, and you don't get to attack. RIP. :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
S/T based 'Out' was looked down upon because doing it through monster card effect are much more superior and efficient in the format. Also no one in meta plays traps anymore, so why pack Out and risk bricking :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vandar posted:

By the time you've drawn through your deck to get to the Cosmic and you activate it, time gets called, and you don't get to attack. RIP. :v:

1. Have more of whatever your choice of non-monster backrow removal is, so you draw it more often. poo poo, steal from Mine itself and play Anti-Spell Fragrance to stop them getting a new Mine on the board.

2. Bean them with literally anything. Mine plays total poo poo for monsters, they aren't gonna beat over you. You don't need to combo together a board, you just neet to sucker-punch some teeth out.

If Mine is the most prevalent opponent, then you build to counter Mine.

If you really wanna say 'Mine outs have literally no purpose against any other deck ever', then forfeit game one and then side in a bunch of counters. I know you're not playing Master Duel, so you're playing best of three: win the other two.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mine isn't the most prevalent opponent is the problem. Because most people don't want to play Mine. However, the person who does play Mine is playing a deck that is purely designed for misery simulation.

There's no version of a mine deck that isn't awful to play against. Just "draw" the out isn't a good answer to a card that turns games into slogs worse than any other floodgate ever printed.

Furthermore, if the mine deck is doing beatcop then the only outs that "work" are things other than destruction, which makes it even longer to get the "out". Plus they'll be playing the metaverse trap anyway.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Cleretic posted:

If you really wanna say 'Mine outs have literally no purpose against any other deck ever', then forfeit game one and then side in a bunch of counters. I know you're not playing Master Duel, so you're playing best of three: win the other two.
That seem like a really good strategy. :magemage:

Immediately forfeit to save times, swap in all the Outs from side decks, win two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't forget the "pray you don't brick because you no longer have any margin for error after forfeiting game 1" in between.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I hope they don't play burn when I unbrick myself by drawing 30 times.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

Card needs to go.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bring back running 6 pieces of one off s/t removal.

Return to your roots.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nyaa posted:

I hope they don't play burn when I unbrick myself by drawing 30 times.

If the complaint is that they take ages to win by mill, you should hope they play burn.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

No, it's just... I never really figure out the right way to deal with Stall Burn. :raise:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lord_Magmar posted:

However, the person who does play Mine is playing a deck that is purely designed for misery simulation.

I mean, yes, but only after having so many Dragonmaids get Ash Blossomed that I was ready to make everyone else suffer. :unsmigghh:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Did people run s/t backrow removal during a format(s) where eldlich was more popular?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23FEdp71LTk

Just let me draw multiple one of my unsearchable outs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1561639724158050304?s=20&t=YS7eQ8JcQZjODQzv6e0vng

The absolutely riveting gameplay of Mystic Mine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

quote:

Principal Magic Designer at Wizards of the Coast. Former professional player.

The main reason Mine is just The Worst isn't because it's "Anti-Meta" but because it is Anti-Yugioh. If they want to print out searchable S/T removal printed on S/T for archetypes go right ahead, but you have to make it tutorable without monster effects and on top of that the tutor effect will also need to tutor monsters becoming even more toolbox-y. But they haven't have no intention to, and are not designing around Mine.

"Just play around Mine." So decks become Mine Decks and Anti-Mine decks, it doesn't take someone much to realize that is a card warping the game around itself. Yugioh as a game is very focused on monster effects, tutoring cards, and stringing together those two things. You can argue you don't like that design and don't think the game SHOULD be like that. But that's a different discussion all together. What you think Yugioh SHOULD be isn't what Yugioh IS, and what it is, is not a game that supports the existence of Mystic Mine.

Mystic Mine should be banned for the exact same reason Maxx "C" is banned in the TCG, because it warps everything around itself. Maxx "C" when legal, determines that X slots in your deck are devoted to anti-Maxx "C", 3 Ash blossom for being the most effective Maxx "C" counter, 1 Called By the gave, being the most effective counter to both, and 3 of your own Maxx "C" because you'd have to be a loving moron, just an absolute complete dipshit idiot to NOT run Maxx "C" at 3. Throw in any number of Crossout Designator based on how much you want to be able to respond and oh look 7-10 deck slots, eaten up just by "The Maxx "C" package. Of course the bigger issue is that there are MORE outs to Maxx "C than there are to Mine.

"Just Draw The Out Bro."

Okay so they have 3 Mystic Mine at most you can have 3 Cosmic Cyclone, ignoring how you can't guarantee having it in hand, if a SINGLE CC gets negated you lose, on the spot, you have no ability to remove future Mine's without more investment, creating the Beat Cop Loop. You need two removal spells to remove a Mystic Mine that's been Beat Copped, then you need to get through the Fogs the opponent has set, provided they aren't Bribe's or other negates for your removal spells (they are. That's all they're playing.) They have 3 mines, You need 2 non-removal negation for a Mine, so each copy of Mine requires 6 'MST' cards. To get through Beat Cops, then you need 3 Cosmic Cyclone as the Most Effective Tactic Available to remove Mines permanently. Then you have to content with Extra removal, and hoping they don't have a Metaverse, Demises of the Land or anything else that puts a field spell into the Field zone.

So right now we're looking at 8 minimum for a shot, just a SHOT to beat Mine, and you don't want to be running these main deck, because they're flat loving dead against any other deck in contention. Which, there are two top decks, one that barely got hit, with two very different things to contend with. So your side deck has 7 slots left, at maximum, for anti-The rest of the meta.

Mystic Mine is a problem, it warps the game around it, because it fundamentally goes against card design in a way that leads to unfun experiences. If you disagree, you are wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Just play master duel instead of making a really long post about it imo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Just play master duel instead of making a really long post about it imo

I do.

It has the same problem with Maxx "C" which I just covered in the above post. In fact it has worse problems because it's a client designed around Bo1 with a banlist refusing to hit many cards that specifically make Bo1 a terrible format.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

well then i guess everybody has no choice but to play rush duels on their nintendo switch video game console

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Everyone has no choice but to play Duelist of the Roses

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Maxx C is also fine, you just have to react to it by cutting your combo as short as possible without loving yourself. Which, I will grant, is a difficult thing to learn and not exactly something you can just pick up from a deck guide or something. But it's definitely not a card that's as unfair as some of the louder complainers act like it is, you just have to exercise restraint. ...which those loud complainers are usually fairly bad at.

Seriously, I was outright baffled when I actually started playing against the notorious, infamous Maxx C, and just... did fine, mostly.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 1, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Cleretic: This is fine.jpeg

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Maxx C is also fine, you just have to react to it by cutting your combo as short as possible without loving yourself. Which, I will grant, is a difficult thing to learn and not exactly something you can just pick up from a deck guide or something. But it's definitely not a card that's as unfair as some of the louder complainers act like it is, you just have to exercise restraint. ...which those loud complainers are usually fairly bad at.

Seriously, I was outright baffled when I actually started playing against the notorious, infamous Maxx C, and just... did fine, mostly.

The issue with Maxx C is if one person has it and the other does not the game is dead, because the person with it gets to stop the combo, the person without does not.

Personally, I don't really mind Maxx C much myself. It's been at 3 in the OCG forever, but in a Bo1 format specifically. It is a bad card.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

What you just said, and let's be clear is "Giving your opponent a minimum of Upstart Goblin which also ends your opponent's turn, is perfectly fine." And a single Special Summon past that is Pot of Greed, and that Pot of Greed is perfectly good and reasonable to be legal at 3.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 1, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just play synchro combo and deck them out

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

they really ought to just errata maxx c to say "you can't activate other cards or effects during the turn you activate this effect". that way when playing against it you won't have to worry about playing through every hand trap in your opponent's deck, and it dissuades players from activating it while they already have an established board. actual counterplay becomes possible

as for mystic mine, I'd just put a time limit on it. have it sent to the gy during your second standby phase after it's activated. if mine players want to keep mine up, they should simply draw more mines

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The issue with Maxx C is if one person has it and the other does not the game is dead, because the person with it gets to stop the combo, the person without does not.

Personally, I don't really mind Maxx C much myself. It's been at 3 in the OCG forever, but in a Bo1 format specifically. It is a bad card.

See, I feel like this is a good point, but also, whenever I have complaints about a combo deck like Swordsoul I'm told that I should just stop their combo by drawing an out, most likely Ash Blossom. And I literally don't see the difference between a match decided by who drew Ash Blossom and a match decided by who drew Maxx C. (Save for the part where Ash Blossom also stops Maxx C, so one of those cards is clearly a bigger decider.)

A lot of these issues are exacerbated in a best of one format, though, I can agree, because there the luck of the draw changes so much; if only one person draws the interaction staples in a Bo1, that's kind of it, but even a Bo3 format without side-decking would give both players a higher chance to not break bad.

That said, I do think that both these cards could do with some erratas to shave off the extreme unfairs and that'd be decent, mostly because I don't think the core of either card is actually the problem part:

Skeleton Mom posted:

they really ought to just errata maxx c to say "you can't activate other cards or effects during the turn you activate this effect". that way when playing against it you won't have to worry about playing through every hand trap in your opponent's deck, and it dissuades players from activating it while they already have an established board. actual counterplay becomes possible

as for mystic mine, I'd just put a time limit on it. have it sent to the gy during your second standby phase after it's activated. if mine players want to keep mine up, they should simply draw more mines

This Maxx C change seems extreme, but it would also be quite okay to me. I would say that you could still curb it almost as well by just saying that you can't activate any other hand traps the turn they Maxx C, since I've always found the big prickle about the card is that you've got a high chance of drawing even more immediately available gas, but I wouldn't say no to 'if you use Maxx C you don't get your negates', which is what that means to most players anyway.

That Mystic Mine errata could work. My angle has always been to give it Kaiser Coliseum rules where it just doesn't do anything or gets destroyed if you don't have a monster on the board; it not only stops the Mystic Mine decks where they just don't keep any monsters on the field in the first place, it also provides another angle to snuff it out, since apparently the one it has isn't enough.

EDIT: Alternative, joke answer to Maxx C erratas: you can play any amount of them you want in your deck, but if you draw another Maxx C with the effect of your Maxx C, you discard your hand.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 1, 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

See, I feel like this is a good point, but also, whenever I have complaints about a combo deck like Swordsoul I'm told that I should just stop their combo by drawing an out, most likely Ash Blossom. And I literally don't see the difference between a match decided by who drew Ash Blossom and a match decided by who drew Maxx C. (Save for the part where Ash Blossom also stops Maxx C, so one of those cards is clearly a bigger decider.)

A lot of these issues are exacerbated in a best of one format, though, I can agree, because there the luck of the draw changes so much; if only one person draws the interaction staples in a Bo1, that's kind of it, but even a Bo3 format without side-decking would give both players a higher chance to not break bad.

That said, I do think that both these cards could do with some erratas to shave off the extreme unfairs and that'd be decent, mostly because I don't think the core of either card is actually the problem part:

This Maxx C change seems extreme, but it would also be quite okay to me. I would say that you could still curb it almost as well by just saying that you can't activate any other hand traps the turn they Maxx C, since I've always found the big prickle about the card is that you've got a high chance of drawing even more immediately available gas, but I wouldn't say no to 'if you use Maxx C you don't get your negates', which is what that means to most players anyway.

That Mystic Mine errata could work. My angle has always been to give it Kaiser Coliseum rules where it just doesn't do anything or gets destroyed if you don't have a monster on the board; it not only stops the Mystic Mine decks where they just don't keep any monsters on the field in the first place, it also provides another angle to snuff it out, since apparently the one it has isn't enough.

EDIT: Alternative, joke answer to Maxx C erratas: you can play any amount of them you want in your deck, but if you draw another Maxx C with the effect of your Maxx C, you discard your hand.

Counterpoint. Swordsoul actually has very few chokepoints you can stop with Ash, and if they Maxx "C" you... well, do you find Swordsoul easier to beat when they have more cards and every play you make gives them more answers? Because typically I always found that Swordsoul's strength was in its ability to generate value with many starters.

As for if Ash is the more impactful card? No. We can tell this because in past formats in the TCG Ash has fluctuated in use in dependence to the Meta, if the current Meta had no Maxx "C" you'd see Ash with variance because it's a bigger hit to Branded Despia (Hit the Fusion) than it is to Swordsoul (Which has ways to play through interruption) In fact, the fact that Ash Blossom is Interruption, not ending a turn, and doesn't even negate on-field monsters or destroy cards on activation, leaving you plenty of room for follow up plays, is pretty telling to the difference in power-levels here.

I don't know what Deck you play, I don't exactly play the Meta myself, but I'm good enough at card evaluation and deck building to recognize that Maxx "C" demands 8 deck slots.

3 for Maxx "C"
3 for Ash Blossom
2 for Called by the Grave (Which trumps both.)

Not only are these cards forced into the main deck (due to Bo1) and heavily hamper deckbuilding, but it's the true minimum required to remain competitive. 8 cards of your deck should not be required to match up to a single hand trap, which at minimum is "Upstart and end your opponents turn" and at worse is "You win the game because turns out drawing even 3 extra cards gives you enough starters and resources to just crush your opponent."

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Regarding Ash, it's actually basically useless in the current format.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Syenite posted:

Regarding Ash, it's actually basically useless in the current format.

Yup, it sees 3-of in OCG Spright because, guess what, both decks have 3-of Maxx "C", but Tear doesn't bother running it because... lmao Tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love drawing cards ,maxx c is good