Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Repo!, Repo Men, Turistas, Coma, 12 Hour Shift,

Am I missing any good organ harvesting movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kvlt! posted:

How'd you miss Frankenstein? :P The ultimate organ harvester.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

How'd you miss Frankenstein? :P The ultimate organ harvester.

That's body part graverobbin', not organ harvestin'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Unperson_47 posted:

I love horror films and it never occurred to me to check if there was a thread for it here so this will live in my regular bookmarks. :toot:

Anyhow, I watched Kwaidan for the first time a few weeks ago and it was really good!

el oso posted:

Any list that mentions Viy is a-ok with me.

Never heard of Viy somehow, watched trailer

was gonna say, witch gives me Kwaidan vibes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well apparently wikipedia has an article on every film about organ harvesting of all things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_organ_trafficking

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

well apparently wikipedia has an article on every film about organ harvesting of all things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_organ_trafficking

I know everyone scoffs at tv tropes as a resource but imagine librarians who are too online and do this on their free time

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm going to be publishing a longer essay on it, but some short thoughts on THE MUNSTERS:

I went into it with what I call a "reverse open mind", meaning I am biased to like it, so I should still remain critical. Even then, maybe because life's been tough and I needed it, I just absolutely adored every scene.

What I loved most about it is how goddam unique it is. It's so neon and garish. It feels like those theme-park scary houses. I can't think of another movie that looks like this. I think of highly aestheticized movies like this like I think of wrestlers: people can love you or hate you and you're doing well, but the worst thing you can be is BORING (i'm looking at you BLUMHOUSE AND A24).

I liked the whimsical, campy nature. I thought all the performances were fantastic, in particular Jorge Garcia was just hilarious and had me laughing at each scene. Richard Brake kills it as usual. Daniel Roebuck is delightful and JDP and Sheri had great onscreen chemistry.

My only complaint is that it felt like a movie starring the Munsters, rather than a Munsters movie. The whole "normal family of monsters in a world of normal humans" idea of the Munsters is just sort of tossed out the window and replaced with an entirely spooky world. But Zombo was there, and there was a lot of great jokes and references to the series.

12/10.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Smile was more or less predictable. I think if you go in with a gimmick death movie in mind you won't be too disappointed a lot of lulls since it's about *trauma* so they need to let that simmer before really escalating to 100 SMILES A MINUTE. Some others brought It Follows which probably paced itself more, not to mention kind of established their rules better and adherred to them. The psychological battle at the end between her and the presence was interesting, though kind of a shame she doesn't really figure out how to really fight it (or just bad planning/timing with Joel). Thems the breaks when you're in a horror movie I guess

At least they didn't bring back Victor Salva. Christ cancel culture didn't come soon enough for him

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've always hated the Jeepers Creepers movies, so this isn't a defense of them it's an attack on the RT rating system.

If all the reviewers give the movie a 51/100, it'll get a 100%. So you'll see a 100% rating for a movie everyone thought was mediocre/lovely. How does that help anyone.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it works?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alan Smithee posted:

Smile was more or less predictable. I think if you go in with a gimmick death movie in mind you won't be too disappointed a lot of lulls since it's about *trauma* so they need to let that simmer before really escalating to 100 SMILES A MINUTE. Some others brought It Follows which probably paced itself more, not to mention kind of established their rules better and adherred to them. The psychological battle at the end between her and the presence was interesting, though kind of a shame she doesn't really figure out how to really fight it (or just bad planning/timing with Joel). Thems the breaks when you're in a horror movie I guess

At least they didn't bring back Victor Salva. Christ cancel culture didn't come soon enough for him

I liked the design of the prescence's true form, with the multiple nested smiling mouths that possesses you by climbing into your mouth, adding it to their own face. I thought that that was a fun visual.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Savageland (which is up on youtube for free!) does something like that, a fictional story presented exactly like a true crime documentary.

It's also got some genuinely super creepy imagery involved, I loved it a lot.

That sounds neat

Twin Cinema posted:

I will probably end up watching the Dahmer series at some point, but I really recommend the graphic novel, My Friend Dahmer. It's not really horror, per say, but it's a really great look at the formative years of a soon-to-be serial killer.

The movie is not that good, though.

Agreed it's an excellent comic

Chris James 2 posted:

In order by years:

1920s (5)
1920 - Cabinet of Dr Caligari
1921 - Phantom Carriage
1922 - Haxan; Nosferatu
1925 - Phantom of the Opera

1930s (4)
1931 - Dracula; Frankenstein
1932 - Freaks
1935 - Bride of Frankenstein

1940s (9)
1942 - Cat People
1943 - I Walked with a Zombie; The Ghost Ship; The Leopard Man; The Seventh Victim
1944 - The Lodger
1945 - Dead of Night; Hangover Square
1946 - Spiral Staircase

1950s (13)
1951 - Thing from Another World
1953 - House of Wax
1954 - Creature from the Black Lagoon; Godzilla
1955 - Night of the Hunter
1956 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers
1957 - Night of the Demon
1958 - Horror of Dracula; The Blob; The Fly
1959 - A Bucket of Blood; House on Haunted Hill; Plan 9 from Outer Space

1960s (19)
1960 - Black Sunday; Eyes without a Face; Psycho; Village of the Damned
1961 - The Innocents
1962 - Carnival of Souls; Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
1963 - Black Sabbath; The Birds; The Haunting
1964 - Masque of the Red Death; Straitjacket
1965 - Repulsion
1967 - Spider Baby; Viy
1968 - Hour of the Wolf; Kuroneko; Night of the Living Dead; Rosemary's Baby

1970s (30)
1971 - Bay of Blood; Slaughter Hotel; Blood on Satan's Claw; The Devils; Willard
1973 - Don't Look Now; Ganja & Hess; Messiah of Evil; Sisters; The Exorcist; Wicker Man
1974 - Black Christmas; Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1975 - Deep Red; Jaws; Rocky Horror Picture Show
1976 - Carrie; The Omen; The Tenant
1977 - Alucarda; Eraserhead; Hausu; Suspiria
1978 - Dawn of the Dead; Halloween; Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Martin; The Shout
1979 - Alien; The Brood

1980s (29)
1980 - Dressed to Kill; Friday the 13th; Inferno; The Changeling; The Fog; The Shining
1981 - American Werewolf in London; My Bloody Valentine; Possession; Evil Dead; The Howling
1982 - Poltergeist; The Thing
1983 - The Hunger
1984 - Nightmare on Elm Street
1986 - Aliens; Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer; The Fly
1987 - Evil Dead 2; Near Dark; Predator; Monster Squad
1988 - Child's Play; Killer Klowns from Outer Space; The Vanishing; They Live
1989 - Pet Sematary; Santa Sangre; Society

1990s (19)
1990 - Jacob's Ladder; Misery; Nightbreed
1991 - Silence of the Lambs
1992 - Bram Stoker's Dracula; Candyman; Dead Alive; Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
1993 - Cronos
1994 - Wes Craven's New Nightmare
1995 - Safe; Tales from the Hood
1996 - Scream; The Craft
1997 - I Know What You Did Last Summer
1998 - Ringu
1999 - Audition; Blair Witch Project; Sixth Sense

2000s (35)
2000 - Final Destination; Ginger Snaps
2001 - Brotherhood of the Wolf; Pulse; Devil's Backbone; The Others; Trouble Every Day
2002 - 28 Days Later; May; Signs; The Ring
2003 - A Tale of Two Sisters; High Tension
2004 - Saw; Shaun of the Dead
2005 - Hostel; The Descent; The Devil's Rejects
2006 - Slither
2007 - Inside; Paranormal Activity; REC; Teeth; The Host; The Mist; The Orphanage; Trick r Treat
2008 - Let the Right One In; Martyrs; The Strangers
2009 - Antichrist; Drag Me to Hell; Jennifer's Body; House of the Devil; Zombieland

2010s (24)
2010 - Shutter Island
2011 - I Saw the Devil; Cabin in the Woods; The Skin I Live In
2012 - Sinister
2013 - The Conjuring
2014 - Goodnight Mommy; It Follows; The Babadook
2015 - The Invitation; The Witch
2016 - 10 Cloverfield Lane; Raw
2017 - Get Out; Happy Death Day
2018 - A Quiet Place; Halloween; Hereditary; Mandy; Suspiria; House that Jack Built
2019 - Midsommar; Ready or Not; Us

2020s so far (13)
2020 - Host; Relic; Saint Maud; She Dies Tomorrow; The Night House
2021 - Candyman; Malignant; Old; We're All Going to the World's Fair
2022 - Bodies Bodies Bodies; Men; Nope; Scream

Neat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the design of the prescence's true form, with the multiple nested smiling mouths that possesses you by climbing into your mouth, adding it to their own face. I thought that that was a fun visual.

Smile/Barbarian spoilers
i honestly didn't even notice that. I think I was kinda nonplussed over the big CG mother subconsciously because of Barbarian

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Alan Smithee posted:

Never heard of Viy somehow, watched trailer

was gonna say, witch gives me Kwaidan vibes

now watch the trailer for viy 2, starring jackie chan and arnold schwarzenegger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71txQGFoYCM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kvlt! posted:

I've always hated the Jeepers Creepers movies, so this isn't a defense of them it's an attack on the RT rating system.

If all the reviewers give the movie a 51/100, it'll get a 100%. So you'll see a 100% rating for a movie everyone thought was mediocre/lovely. How does that help anyone.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it works?

Sure but you pretty much never get "universally agreed upon as very slightly above average" so your example of all critics saying it's 5.1 out of 10 resulting in 100% doesn't really happen. Think of it as a measurement of how likely you are to enjoy a movie, not how much you'll enjoy it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sure but you pretty much never get "universally agreed upon as very slightly above average" so your example of all critics saying it's 5.1 out of 10 resulting in 100% doesn't really happen. Think of it as a measurement of how likely you are to enjoy a movie, not how much you'll enjoy it.

i prefer the ROT system of measuring how much I'll enjoy a movie

Rob Zombie

Or

Toetag

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Does it show the cop letting dahmer take away the laotian kid and then become the head of the police union?

cuz that might be tough to watch but reading about that it was so hosed up that people need to know about it

Yes. Also him and the other cop with him that laughs it off basically are only punished with paid leave

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

I no idea there were so many film adaptations of this outside of the 1967 classic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a new Thai Kaiju movie coming out that looks rad

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

I'm still on the fence about whether I thought it was "good" or not, but would Crimes of the Future count? I mean, there's a lot of organ harvesting so it better count.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd say Crimes of the Future totally counts, lots of organ stuff happening there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Opopanax posted:

There's a new Thai Kaiju movie coming out that looks rad

Yeah this looks like my jam.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

call that a Thaiju

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I read the wiki for Gutterballs and feel like I need a shower. Goddamn even reading about it makes it like the worst kind of movie.

I'm so sorry that not only you, but several other people in this thread actually know about / watched this movie. It is the worst movie I've ever watched. By a lot. Not a single redeeming quality.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm going to be publishing a longer essay on it, but some short thoughts on THE MUNSTERS:

I went into it with what I call a "reverse open mind", meaning I am biased to like it, so I should still remain critical. Even then, maybe because life's been tough and I needed it, I just absolutely adored every scene.

What I loved most about it is how goddam unique it is. It's so neon and garish. It feels like those theme-park scary houses. I can't think of another movie that looks like this. I think of highly aestheticized movies like this like I think of wrestlers: people can love you or hate you and you're doing well, but the worst thing you can be is BORING (i'm looking at you BLUMHOUSE AND A24).

I liked the whimsical, campy nature. I thought all the performances were fantastic, in particular Jorge Garcia was just hilarious and had me laughing at each scene. Richard Brake kills it as usual. Daniel Roebuck is delightful and JDP and Sheri had great onscreen chemistry.

My only complaint is that it felt like a movie starring the Munsters, rather than a Munsters movie. The whole "normal family of monsters in a world of normal humans" idea of the Munsters is just sort of tossed out the window and replaced with an entirely spooky world. But Zombo was there, and there was a lot of great jokes and references to the series.

12/10.

Also, it's me. I'm the other person who liked Rob Zombie's The Munsters. It's a dorky as gently caress kids movie and it was great at being just that. The show was a dorky as gently caress kids show, too, so I don't feel like it was disjointed from the source, even if it had less screen time devoted to juxtaposing the Munsters with normal humans. I thought it was adorable creepy-cute camp fun, and it worked well as an origin story for the tv show's premise. Completely agree that the look of the movie made it worth watching all by itself.

Very clear how much Zombie loves the series. Hell, it even referenced Car 54 Where Are You?, another TV show that Fred Gwynne was in right before The Munsters.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 1, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I thought Smile was an okay movie, but it's really held back by having it's main theme be "trauma" and then trying to treat that theme with some sort of seriousness and respect despite not really being the kind of movie that's capable of handling something like that. It's not done so poorly that it's offensive, it's just also not very good or interesting and ends up being just generic melodrama and monologues in-between jumpscares.

Best Part: the main character dropping her wine glass twice

Worst Part: the cat death. I knew it would happen, but I still hated it. The cat they had for the role was extra adorable, and did the same "greeting humans at the door and demanding food" my kitty does, very unfun to see that sweet baby as a corpse later on.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i forever chuckle at people going to see movies for fun about people being brutally murdered and then getting upset when an animal is killed lol *

*not counting irl animal death/gore

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

It should be translated as "X% of all critics thought it was at least worth watching."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

i forever chuckle at people going to see movies for fun about people being brutally murdered and then getting upset when an animal is killed lol *

People suck, dogs are cool

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I know it's popular to say stuff like that online but I don't think any animal has greater value than a human life also i hate dogs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

I definitely heard about this but what a weird IP to be a sequel for. If they wanted something Soviet so that it was public domain they could have just as easily made it Battleship Potemkin 2

Or Soviet Hobbit 2

Or Soviet Winnie Pooh 2

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

I know it's popular to say stuff like that online but I don't think any animal has greater value than a human life also i hate dogs

I honestly think if you held a gun to 75% of the US populations dogs head and asked "the dog or a random person" that 100% of them would say random person

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

worms butthole guy posted:

I honestly think if you held a gun to 75% of the US populations dogs head and asked "the dog or a random person" that 100% of them would say random person

I honestly think if you believe that you need to get outside more. If someone came into a building with a gun and a dog and a human, and made you pick one to shoot, if you choose the dog you're scum.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

I fully recognize how irrational it is, but animal deaths just hit different for me.

Like, when I see a person die or on screen my brain is able to recognize "okay that's fake. That person is not actually hurt", but when I see an animal die in a movie for some reason my brain treats that as a "real" death. I know rationally that no animal was actually harmed, but my brain still sends the "be upset and sad chemicals" I would get if I were seeing an animal getting hurt in real life.

I dunno! Brains are weird and sometimes you don't have full control over what chemicals end up sloshing around up there!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

I honestly think if you believe that you need to get outside more. If someone came into a building with a gun and a dog and a human, and made you pick one to shoot, if you choose the dog you're scum.

Maybe it depends where in the US one lives tbh. I live in rural white maga territory

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Obviously movies are different, in real life if I’m faced with some kind of trolley problem and it’s a person vs a dog I’m going to save the person, but movies aren’t real life. Plus, since they’re movies and especially horror movies, the people generally, in some way, deserve it, whereas an animal isn’t going to

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is much less separating an animal in a film from how that animal would be in real life than there is any given character and their performer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the whole point of horror movies is to scare/disturb so if dog deaths do that for yall i say throw more in

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Nah I think if it really did come down to an irl situation where you had to choose between your dog and another person, 99%+ of people would choose to save the person.

It's just an example of that magical layer of unreality that films have. The people dying aren't real, you're aware that they're just actors and you're entertained by their deaths. Dogs I think are more of a blank slate so people tend to see their own dog and then the emotions get a bit more intense. In a real life situation where you knew the person wasn't a fictional character it would be totally different.

Edit: Ah, I see multiple others said pretty much this same thing already

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

Aww, you didn't like Future Kick?

Alan Smithee posted:

speaking of, were there any other horror movies/thrillers with a quiz show in it? All I could find was a Dutch movie from 2012 called Quiz
DeathTube, maybe its sequel as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My hypothetical scenario was an irl one so I assumed the response of the "75% would choose the dog" was to that. I really thought I was going nuts lol like "Would people really choose a dog over an irl human life?" (assuming its a random stranger and not like a scumbag serial murderer or something)

Very relieved the value of human life is not lost itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

My hypothetical scenario was an irl one so I assumed the response of the "75% would choose the dog" was to that. I really thought I was going nuts lol like "Would people really choose a dog over an irl human life?" (assuming its a random stranger and not like a scumbag serial murderer or something)

Yea it was the other post that was wrong I think, not yours.

Anyway I'm definitely not against dog death in horror movies, if it gets the audience going then I'm all for it. If they're sad about the dog then they're emotionally engaged, which is a key thing for horror.