Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's 3am on a Saturday just winding down after a night of booze, drugs and shaggin' hot ladies (this is a lie), and the current wait for the Shell website is 18 minutes.

Do they need someone to go in and change the elastic band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
catte taxxe (I pay my taxes, unlike Amazon, say)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Only Kindness posted:

It's 3am on a Saturday just winding down after a night of booze, drugs and shaggin' hot ladies (this is a lie), and the current wait for the Shell website is 18 minutes.

Do they need someone to go in and change the elastic band?

I got a text message on Thursday with a link to a meter readings page that bypasses the login queue.

The message also said you can submit backdated readings any time before 29th October

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
No worries on my account, I sorted it all out 3 hours ago, when the wait was a paltry 7 minutes. I'm just chilling with a milky coffee, listening to IndieXL, tweaking some inno scripts, and every so often idly rejoining the queue to see how long it is.

My point is not "haylp, I can't get onto the Shell website!", it's "look at these loving cheap bastards".

(15 min at time of :justpost:)

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Tarnop posted:

They want you to overpay because money now is worth more than money later (can be invested, buying power diminishing with inflation). I keep mine on the monthly I've worked out and while the account page keeps warning me it needs to be increased I just ignore it to no effect so far

Makes sense. I don’t have that much of a credit balance so perhaps they are trying to stop my account go into debit too. However last year I was something like £500 in credit at one point and they were difficult with refunding me, so screw them, they can deal with me owing them money for a few months.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So they’re putting the full-on austerity message out to the press now

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1576089975900307456

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I can only hope the streets become too unsafe for tories to walk them soon.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Don’t ask what your country can do for you, only what you can do to ensure number goes up.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

Don’t ask what your country can do for you, only what you can do to ensure number goes up.

They’re tanking number though. Number hates this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can only hope the streets become too unsafe for tories to walk them soon.

We need to have Blade Runners hunting them down, retiring those who can’t display even the most basic humanity.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

peanut- posted:

I'm genuinely curious at what point the English people riot over this. Northern Ireland and Scotland have their escape vectors, but you punching-bags are trapped in this endless cycle.

I mean, if you think you're going to vote in Starmer and he's not just going to roll all this back, but implement policy to get you to where you think you should be? He's not. I'm not sure what you're all accepting as the term for "accountability" anymore.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

peanut- posted:

[redacted on legal advice]

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lady Gaza posted:

Makes sense. I don’t have that much of a credit balance so perhaps they are trying to stop my account go into debit too. However last year I was something like £500 in credit at one point and they were difficult with refunding me, so screw them, they can deal with me owing them money for a few months.
If my bill is similar to last year's use it would be something like ~£150/month in summer and ~£300 in winter. With a projected average cost of £225 then yeah it's likely you'd go over the current DD value in the winter months and they're trying to avoid a debit balance.

gently caress them though.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

I love how their 'growth plan' is justified as 'Boosting economic growth will enable stable funding for public services, higher wages and greater opportunities for the whole UK.' But we have to gut every public service to achieve it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

I love how their 'growth plan' is justified as 'Boosting economic growth will enable stable funding for public services, higher wages and greater opportunities for the whole UK.' But we have to gut every public service to achieve it.

You don't understand. They don't have to gut every public service, they get to gut every public service.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

"Why are you hitting yourself UK people? Stop hitting yourself!" The government says.

"Well if you're going to keep being so irresponsible we'll just take away all these nice things"

Its just so transparent and lovely and yet still people are warbling about bootstraps and others getting a 'free ride' and all the old poo poo about scroungers and yooves, benefit cheats and foreigners while the rich just laugh and pour liquidised horses into their bellies with a hose.

Just loving insane. I know we like the boot as a nation but come the gently caress on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They’re not really though. I mean the lead editorial in The Times of all places today is saying she needs to be sacked immediately. You can see the polls, this seems to be almost universally unpopular. The nation has been given literally no say in this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

As predicted

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scientastic posted:

We need to have Blade Runners hunting them down, retiring those who can’t display even the most basic humanity.

The first-generation Fabricants will be easy to detect

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stop rushing the Shell website you dorks, you don't need to submit anything now you have weeks to do it.

I'm trying to rush the Shell website and honestly you're all being very frustrating.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

peanut- posted:

You fools, you really don't need more than one meal a day.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

You fools, you really don't need more than one meal a day.

If you ration how much of the Tory cabinet member you eat they should last you for months

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Buy a new kettle and wait for this to all blow over

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought a thermos so I'm not boiling the kettle so often.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've invested in thermal onesies and they're pretty cosy.

I do feel like a big man baby in them though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Look at these two Rockafellers who can afford kettles and thermos.
FOOLS

Necrothatcher posted:

ooooo link?
Was thinking of just getting something similar.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 1, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1576124451863040002

:toot:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Or, or.......

Wait

Listen

Guys

What if

Hear me out

You just, like, DIDN'T do the tax cuts, and then you wouldn't be """"""""""""""""""forced"""""""""""""""""" to cut public services?

What about that?

Pretty loving simple.

Also, hangalltories.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BenObeseJecty/status/1576091261370789890

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

seems like the Enough is Enough thing has been partly scuppered because the trains aren't running

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Couple of racists racisting it up in the comments

https://twitter.com/ByronLomax1963/status/1576126610620944385

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

DesperateDan posted:

what courses? would love to go back and finish my degree or at uclan if I had the time or cash

this weekend I'm splitting and bagging firewood and then feeling sore from splitting and bagging firewood

I am doing MST224 Mathematical methods and M248 Analysing data. I am doing a BSc in Data Science, started October 2020.

I didn't go to University, so I have never started a degree and am able to apply for student finance and I will never earn enough to pay it back!

Take that Liberals.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This is the best we get. This is it. The great hope on the horizon.

This country is hosed. Terminal.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

This is the best we get. This is it. The great hope on the horizon.

I assume the edited version of Sandman’s duel with Lucifer (from ep4 of the Netflix series) has already been created by someone, so I don’t have to bother.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That also seems like supply side economics to me, I dunno.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I have recently found out that long johns aren't called that anymore they are now baselayers.

Almost as bad as tactical dad gear.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Outrageous estimated bill for our flats from SSE Business Energy.

I give meter readings regularly and on 22nd Sept gave reading of the night meter of 140129 and our average use throughout the 'summer months' (ie we have not put the heating on yet and we're going to hang on until the clocks go back unless there is a very cold spell) has been approx 6 units per night.

Their estimate for amount used between 22nd Sept and 29th Sept (bill only available today) is over 3000 night units instead of the 30 units it actually is! There is no algorithm on this planet that can take multiple readings from April onwards or compare to last year's Sept/Oct readings (which also averaged approx 6 units per night) and come up with using 3000 units in a week! This is patent exploitation. Naturally customer services is closed for the weekend.
If they can get the 'day' rates right, no excuse for the night rates.

(Obviously I've given them new meter readings this morning. So I hope they revise this bill!)

Ed: in £ this is over £1000 extra charge on the bill!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 1, 2022

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peanut- posted:

How did austerity pan out the last time around and has it been properly wound down? Not like, are they spending as much money as before they went austere, but have they reimplemented the institutions which austerity's killed off?

Is the answer no? Because I'm beginning to suspect this immensely punchable man might be less than credible on the subject he's been chosen to be the expert on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

How did austerity pan out the last time around and has it been properly wound down? Not like, are they spending as much money as before they went austere, but have they reimplemented the institutions which austerity's killed off?

Is the answer no? Because I'm beginning to suspect this immensely punchable man might be less than credible on the subject he's been chosen to be the expert on

They are doing more austerity because there are still some institutions it didn't destroy. They've got 2 years to get what's left.