Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Irisi posted:

Sewing Bee and Pottery Throwdown have that original tone still, of amateurs giving it a jolly good go, and not hoping for a book deal and a slot on Saturday Kitchen afterwards.

Also, Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding need to go; their comedy is unbearable on this. They don't work well together at all: they are both surrealists and need an experienced straightman to bounce off of. Trying to do wacky comedy at the judges, neither of whom have much sense of humour, doesn't work. And trying to do skits at a frazzled amateur baker who is clearly already near tears because their meringue hasn't worked and they've got ten minutes left is just plain cruel.

Oh true I have watched Pottery Throwdown a couple of times. I should have a nice binge of that. Haven't tried Sewing Bee but I will. Ta for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We watch mostly out of nostalgia, but last (?) season Jurgen hit it out if the park.

I don’t watch the sewing bee, but the pottery show keeps me flipping between “I could never do that” and “I should build a kiln in my shed” about four times an episode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jurgen getting eliminated because he put time and effort into what was secretly an unimportant part of the cake, which the star baker that week replaced with a couple of plastic rods. Tragic miscarriage of justice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hate the technical challenge these days too. I feel like it used to actually be about their technical skills rather than trying to guess what the judges want. I'd much rather they get to see and taste the thing first and the challenge is to recreate it without instructions.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

HopperUK posted:

Oh true I have watched Pottery Throwdown a couple of times. I should have a nice binge of that. Haven't tried Sewing Bee but I will. Ta for the tip.

Glow Up is also great

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Ghosts is loving awesome and perfect Halloween viewing. Especially so if you've watched and enjoyed Horrible Histories.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I agree that Noel and Matt's comedy stuff is pretty weak, but it's also so short that I don't feel it impacts the episodes that much. Matt Lucas looks to have lost a borderline worrying amount of weight recently.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lucas just seems plain bad in dealing with people too. Next to no rapport with contestants. If a joke doesn't land he doesn't seem to know what to do other than frown about it. At least Fielding gives the impression he likes other people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

reality_groove posted:

I agree that Noel and Matt's comedy stuff is pretty weak, but it's also so short that I don't feel it impacts the episodes that much. Matt Lucas looks to have lost a borderline worrying amount of weight recently.

Yeah I noticed his face especially looks pretty gaunt. Idk what the deal is though, he might just be on a health kick so don't want to assume.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

Lucas just seems plain bad in dealing with people too. Next to no rapport with contestants. If a joke doesn't land he doesn't seem to know what to do other than frown about it. At least Fielding gives the impression he likes other people.

I loving hate how he stares forward instead of at the person. It looks so strange on TV
He's still been better so far this series, it feels a bit less like he's just telling a joke and the person happens to be stood there too

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Is there no strictly chat, or is that not as appreciated as other shows?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This thread is pretty quiet tbh. I don't think there's any ban against it, maybe just a lack of interest?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Red is Dead posted:

Is there no strictly chat, or is that not as appreciated as other shows?

I love Strictly in its' formulaic, clunking, glitter-encrusted familiarity. The news may be terrible, the weather may be awful, you might not be able to afford the heating on...but for 2 hours on a Saturday night you can switch off your brain and watch a dozen D-List celebrities be hauled around the dancefloor by beautiful young dancers, shedding sequins as they go, and it makes you happy for a little while. Sometimes they are surprisingly decent! Also, Claudia Winkleman is weird and I love her.

This year, I must say, Will Mellor (Jambo off Hollyoaks, Gaz off Two Pints Lager & Packet of Crisps) is aging very well. Matt Goss from Bros, slightly less so, I do not think his hair or teeths or wrinkle-free forehead are 100% real. I like his hats though!

I personally hope the CBeebies nature documentary man with the incredibly long hair goes the distance, there's something very charming about him, and he was incredibly light on his feet for such a squarely-built chap.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Irisi posted:

I love Strictly in its' formulaic, clunking, glitter-encrusted familiarity. The news may be terrible, the weather may be awful, you might not be able to afford the heating on...but for 2 hours on a Saturday night you can switch off your brain and watch a dozen D-List celebrities be hauled around the dancefloor by beautiful young dancers, shedding sequins as they go, and it makes you happy for a little while. Sometimes they are surprisingly decent! Also, Claudia Winkleman is weird and I love her.

This year, I must say, Will Mellor (Jambo off Hollyoaks, Gaz off Two Pints Lager & Packet of Crisps) is aging very well. Matt Goss from Bros, slightly less so, I do not think his hair or teeths or wrinkle-free forehead are 100% real. I like his hats though!

I personally hope the CBeebies nature documentary man with the incredibly long hair goes the distance, there's something very charming about him, and he was incredibly light on his feet for such a squarely-built chap.

My old housemate would watch it the next day and skip through everything but the actual dancing. In that format, I started to kind of enjoy it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It is by far the least rancorous of the original 'big' reality shows, and I think that's why it's endured so well. It's some slightly recognisable, mildly entertaining people doing their best, absolutely smothered in spectacle and razzle dazzle, and all the professional dancers are very sexy. What's not to love?

I don't actually watch it, but have no problems if I'm with family and they want it on.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I usually just watch the dances on YouTube for the first few weeks until all the people who really suck are gone.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Grand Designs may have been going for nigh on 23 years at this point, but still, the programme has the ability to surprise with just how pitifully, wilfully blind to costs, timescales and practicalities the amateur housebuilders are.

This couple tonight are particularly tragic. They have £1 million to build a MONSTROUS 500 metre square house atop a hill in the countryside for them, their 80 year old parents and their children when they come to stay.

The chap: "We'll come in under budget, our builders are very reliable"
The builders: "LOL the steel frame is £50K over budget in the first week and our lorries can't get 'owt up that loving unpaved hill"

The chap: "We'll finish on time"
COVID: "LOL, what was that?"

The chap: "We are sourcing our cladding and windows from Europe"
Brexit: "LOL, no you're not"

The chap: "It will be a wonderful communal living experience for us and our aged parents"
The aged parents: "Don't loving want to live out in the countryside 10 miles from the nearest shop, we like our wee place in town with the bus stop outside, also, guess who's got terminal cancer?"

Absolutely sodding brutal viewing. House was diabolical too, the outside looked like our local health centre, and the roof obstructed all the views from the upstairs bedrooms.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The BBC has How To with John Wilson. Weird New Yorker nerd who films absolutely everything and edits it together into video essays, accented with interviews and storylines of dubious authenticity.
Really fun viewing, like an American version of that Zen of Driving show.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

The BBC has How To with John Wilson. Weird New Yorker nerd who films absolutely everything and edits it together into video essays, accented with interviews and storylines of dubious authenticity.
Really fun viewing, like an American version of that Zen of Driving show.

It was produced by Nathan Fielder and it's definitely his brand of awkward observational social commentary non-humour, but milder, more personal, and less artificial. I've enjoyed it immensely.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I started watching Don't Hug Me I'm Scared on the All4 app. It was a disquieting experience, at times quite terrifying, really capturing the futility of existence, though the janky animation and long out of date stylings made me wonder if we really need this after so many years? But anyway, enough about the All4 app, I'm hoping I can continue watching DHMIS if All4 will stop screwing around and let me.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Marmaduke! posted:

I started watching Don't Hug Me I'm Scared on the All4 app. It was a disquieting experience, at times quite terrifying, really capturing the futility of existence, though the janky animation and long out of date stylings made me wonder if we really need this after so many years? But anyway, enough about the All4 app, I'm hoping I can continue watching DHMIS if All4 will stop screwing around and let me.

:golfclap:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God I just can't stand Matt Lucas as a presenter
He's not as bad as he was but he's still bad, please get rid

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe technically outside the purview of this thread, but Andor, the new Star Wars show on Disney+ is British as gently caress, heavily visually inspired by grimy 70s/80s UK sci fi. If they ever made a super-high-production-value reboot of Blake’s 7, they should get these guys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rogue One generally felt like 70s grimy British sci-fi (like the original 77 SW, honestly).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah to both.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Comrade Fakename posted:

Maybe technically outside the purview of this thread, but Andor, the new Star Wars show on Disney+ is British as gently caress, heavily visually inspired by grimy 70s/80s UK sci fi. If they ever made a super-high-production-value reboot of Blake’s 7, they should get these guys.

Also wasn't expecting to see Doc Brown just pop up, plenty of folks from the British scene I expected to see in an Imperial uniform first.

E: Also super didn't expect to hear the word "brothel" in Star Wars media.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 1, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

God I just can't stand Matt Lucas as a presenter
He's not as bad as he was but he's still bad, please get rid

shooting stars is the only thing i've found him funny in

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

shooting stars is the only thing i've found him funny in

PEEEEANNNNUTTTSS

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Both of Stewart Lee's most recent stand up sets are now on iPlayer. Would have been up earlier had the Queen not selfishly died.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Irisi posted:

This couple tonight are particularly tragic. They have £1 million to build a MONSTROUS 500 metre square house atop a hill in the countryside for them, their 80 year old parents and their children when they come to stay.
When both of the couple's fathers are dead the mothers realise they'll only get adequate support if they move in as well. As neither of them can drive, they're both stuck in an area with no autonomy or support apart from their children.

Very depressing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also wasn't expecting to see Doc Brown just pop up, plenty of folks from the British scene I expected to see in an Imperial uniform first.

E: Also super didn't expect to hear the word "brothel" in Star Wars media.

One of Rizzle Kicks was in Rogue One, so there’s form!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In SW Legends they were called Spazzhops.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gorn Myson posted:

Both of Stewart Lee's most recent stand up sets are now on iPlayer. Would have been up earlier had the Queen not selfishly died.

Given that Lee is the self-anointed king of the multiple-callback ending, it was rather rude of the DVR to cut off the last minute of the recording I made of Tornado.

Other BBC things I have binged through after spending half-a-week at licence-fee paying parents

I May Destroy You: Not an easy watch, but incredibly well written and performed.

Detectorists: Thread favourite, and rightfully so. Only got through S1 so far but hungry for more. Of course, have since discovered that UKTV Play has S1 but nothing later yet.

Zen Motoring: Knew what to expect from seeing the original Youtube videos. The higher production values made the artifice a bit more apparent, but still very funny.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Gorn Myson posted:

wow she died? :aaa:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/labourdesign/status/1576870948564672512

E: Oops, wrong thread. Enjoy it anyway!

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 4, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol the bloke who played Ted from Sunderland on This Time (WAP) has got a part on Emmerdale

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

He's also the original AFC Richmond coach that Ted Lasso replaces in the pilot

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

aaah they're doing Mexican Week and these people have literally never seen a taco before. they colonized the entire world and didn't bring back loving tacos??

I am having so much fun because it's the first time I actually know way more than the bakers on this technical challenge. No you dumb rear end in a top hat, that's not what refried beans look like. How can you not know how to make guacamole? No omg don't peel the avocado with a knife. It's pronounced pico de ga-yo not pico de gall-o you fool

I am way better at cooking tacos than any of these people. :smugdog:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Britain's never had a large wave of immigration from the Americas, I don't think. Our Mexican food culture is mostly rooted in watching yanks enjoy it on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you ever pop into the London restaurants thread, we’re always moaning about the lack of decent Mexican food or even good Tex-Mex over here.