Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My wife would really like a pressure canner. I'd like a pressure cooker. We're trying to eat supper earlier and I think a pressure cooker could help with that. I do most of the cooking and sometimes my inherent laziness means supper isn't served until 9:00pm, and she's trying to get to bed by about that time and she wants to avoid eating just before doing so.

A really big pressure vessel, like Sir Sydney Poitier's new one, looks very appealing. It's just the two of us, though, and I see no need to cook multiple whole chickens at once. Would an extra-large vessel like that lead to problems with smaller food volumes, like just one chicken? Would a smaller cooker be too short for canning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

How would y'all adapt Ottolenghi's puy lentil and aubergine stew recipe for the IP?

Apart from the spices it is:

quote:

1 large red onion, finely chopped (160g)
½ tbsp picked thyme leaves
2 small aubergines, cut into chunks, about 5 x 2cm (420g)
200g cherry tomatoes
180g Puy lentils
500ml vegetable stock
450ml water
80ml dry white wine

Preparation is:

quote:

Fry [veggies] for 10 minutes, then add the lentils, stock, wine, 450ml of water and ¾ teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer gently for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are soft but still retain a bite.

I would like to make it in the IP to cut down the lentil cooking time from 40 minutes down to 6-8 minutes, but how would I change the amount of liquids? I know that the alcohol needs to be cooked off fully before putting the lid on, and I suppose the amount of stock/water needs to be brought down as well, but by how much? Half?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ExecuDork posted:

My wife would really like a pressure canner. I'd like a pressure cooker. We're trying to eat supper earlier and I think a pressure cooker could help with that. I do most of the cooking and sometimes my inherent laziness means supper isn't served until 9:00pm, and she's trying to get to bed by about that time and she wants to avoid eating just before doing so.

A really big pressure vessel, like Sir Sydney Poitier's new one, looks very appealing. It's just the two of us, though, and I see no need to cook multiple whole chickens at once. Would an extra-large vessel like that lead to problems with smaller food volumes, like just one chicken? Would a smaller cooker be too short for canning?

I am (was) Sidney, it is my daughter that is Sydney, thank you very much.

I had this worry about the big bugger, but I've managed to do lower volume stuff in it without issue. I made a risotto in it without it sticking which was more than could be said for my previous Tefal. This one requires an awful lot less heat input to maintain pressure compared to that one, too.

You ask about canning and I certainly want to be able to do that but my previous reading of this and the canning thread suggested to me that you get canners that can be used as cookers but not the other way around - that the canners relied on having a gauge so you knew you were maintaining the pressure required for safety.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've probably got Corona (borderline positive test result, will have to take another tomorrow) so I'm stuck at home and trying figure out a chicken broth recipe with what I've got. Everything is going to be in a pressure cooker, on account of not being up to watching a pot for a few hours, but let me know if there's a better place to ask about recipes.

Some chicken and duck bones + celery + parsley + onion + garlic + thyme = stock.

Unidentified frozen chicken meat (hopefully unfrozen by tomorrow, salt + pepper + saute), some yams and a bit of potato for the actual soup... feels a bit thin. Throw in some tomatoes \ lettuce? (Not the first things I associate with chicken soup). I could probably get my family to drop off some groceries - carrots and... mushrooms? Leek? Something nutritious to turn the whole thing into stew?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Add some carrot and tomato paste to the stock; add some lentils to the soup. And yeah, a couple diced tomatoes are nice in a light brothy soup. I even just take whole san marzes and hand crush a few sometimes.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Can anyone recommend some good taco/burrito recipes? Any meat is okay. Need to try something different!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Can anyone recommend some good taco/burrito recipes? Any meat is okay. Need to try something different!

Yeah I used this for a cheap pork butt I got and it’s delicious

Tricky Ed posted:

I think this carnitas recipe is pretty good. I personally add lime to the marinade, don't use the cinnamon, and put it in a cast iron pan over high heat before putting it under the broiler so it crisps on both sides. You can do what you like!

4 lbs of meat is about the upper limit for a 6 qt IP though.

Truth.

Definitely don’t skip the oven crisping part though.

It’s amazing the next day too.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

MarcusSA posted:

It’s amazing the next day too.
Yeah, the last couple times I've made Instant Pot carnitas, I made it the day before and just let the whole pot sit in the refrigerator overnight absorbing more of the juice. Then heat it back up and brown it before serving.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I am (was) Sidney, it is my daughter that is Sydney, thank you very much.

Ack! Sorry!

And thanks, we've pretty much settled on buying separate devices for separate uses, even if they overlap in "being steam bombs".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know I've heard some talk of salmon and rice in the IP in this thread, but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyone have a particular receipe they like?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I know I've heard some talk of salmon and rice in the IP in this thread, but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyone have a particular receipe they like?

I think the originator of the recipe(that I know of) posts here, but the quick and dirty "salmon rice" I do is: toss a cup of rice and water in, few pads of butter and whatever spices you want, then place 1-4 frozen salmon filets, depending on size, then pressure cook for like 5 minutes. Instant release, then toss a handful or two of greens in there to lightly wilt while you stir it all up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good enough! Thank you, much appreciated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That was really good! I sauteed up some shelled edamame and it was rather like a cooked poke bowl. Certainly was easy enough. Might be a new staple!

Used this for inspiration.
https://www.corriecooks.com/instant-pot-salmon-and-rice/

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I moved to Denver where altitude affects things like rice and pasta cooking time. Then I thought "maybe I should get a rice cooker", even though I'd probably only use it once every couple of weeks. I cook a lot too. Then I thought "maybe I should get an instapot?" Because can't those make rice in like, 15-20 minutes? (I have no idea) and I can make a ton of other stuff with it too.

Now I come here and looks like there are all kinds of pressure cookers and instapot does seem to be the favourite. I've got a family of 4. The kids don't eat much now but that'll change in a few years.

Would an instapot let me make rice quicker than the current 30+ minutes, which seems to result in a lovely mush when I do it in a pot on the stove?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd say my IP takes about 20 minutes total to make rice. You can see a comment from me, I think in this thread, that I try to take the rice out immediately so it doesn't overcook. Sounds like dedicated rice cookers don't have that problem. If you're looking for a kitchen swiss army knife, the IP is pretty good. I sous vide, air fry, make rice, pressure cook, etc., with it, but it's not the best at any of that except pressure cook. If I had unlimited space, I'd maybe lean towards dedicated devices for some of those things.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cooking enough rice for 4 in the IP is probably gonna take right around half an hour, but you don't have to keep an eye on it and it comes out pretty drat perfect imo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the boring mechanical rice cookers are much much better than the instant pot, there is an issue with them with the bottom getting a slight crust and every single one of them no matter the size does this. The electronic ones don't but it's £20 vs £120 and you just lose a bit of rice.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

If rice is something you make more than twice a week, a rice cooker will be your best friend. A good one will automatically adjust to the altitude. It won't be done in 30 minutes, but it's completely set and forget, and the rice won't be ruined if you aren't there to take it out immediately.

An instant pot is way more versatile and makes hell of soups and stews if you're into that. You'll have to add some time to most recipes to adjust for altitude, but I don't think it's more than 10% at your altitude. It's more of a pain to clean, IMO.

I love them both and I will defend their honor, but it's up to you to decide what you have room for.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Even my cheap $20 Aroma rice cooker has a delay timer, which is great because I can never remember how long it takes to cook rice (especially brown rice), but I can set it up in advance and have it ready by 6pm or whatever.

As far as rice in the instant pot goes, risotto and congee are both good.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok. Seems like rice cookers are pro-buys either way. Thanks so much for the replies. I think I'll get a rice cooker now and a pressure cooker some other time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If my multi-cooker doesn't have a Yoghurt setting, how would I simulate one? If at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xander77 posted:

If my multi-cooker doesn't have a Yoghurt setting, how would I simulate one? If at all.

on an instant pot, yogurt setting is two phases: bringing it up to pasteurization temps, then you take it out, let it cool down, add your starter, and put it back in and the second phase maintains ~110 degrees

you could just use sautee to pasteurize, then cool it and dump it in a dutch oven or anything insulated, then leave in a warm place or an oven with the light

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Or just cheat and use long life milk.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

eke out posted:

you could just use sautee to pasteurize, then cool it and dump it in a dutch oven or anything insulated, then leave in a warm place or an oven with the light
What about the "keep warm" function on the pressure cooker?

I...genuinely thought there was something pressure-specific to making yoghurt, what with the insane number of "pressure cooker yoghurt" recipes youtube gave me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Xander77 posted:

What about the "keep warm" function on the pressure cooker?

I...genuinely thought there was something pressure-specific to making yoghurt, what with the insane number of "pressure cooker yoghurt" recipes youtube gave me.

The real yogurt hack is to use a sous vide machine for it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

The real yogurt hack is to use a sous vide machine for it.

Oh poo poo.. I never thought to do that! Do you directly put the sous vide into the milk?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo.. I never thought to do that! Do you directly put the sous vide into the milk?

eeww no. you’ll never get the circulator clean

put the milk in a sealed container (ziplock would do) and put the container in a water bath

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hypnophant posted:

eeww no. you’ll never get the circulator clean

put the milk in a sealed container (ziplock would do) and put the container in a water bath

lol that's what I thought too but wanted to make sure

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Please do this and take lots of pictures.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

the latest in the Cronenburg releases... this summer... Yogurt Sous Vide-odrome

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

NPR Journalizard posted:

We'll also need a trip report with a focus on odors.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I do yogurt in the slow cooker. Takes about 3 hours to get fridge-temperature milk to ~190F, unplug it and let it cool down to ~125, gently stir in 1/4 cup of the last batch and put it in the oven with the light on overnight.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I know why the instant pot has a burn warning, I know what causes it, I know how to fix it, and it’s still aggravating.

Now I have a pot full of raw chicken that I need to cook on the stove for hours, and I have more dishes.

Maybe I should get a real pressure cooker.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Chicken and pork I cooked raised off the base of the instant pot, cheap accessories from china like a basket or egg cooking platform.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Chicken and pork I cooked raised off the base of the instant pot, cheap accessories from china like a basket or egg cooking platform.

Thanks I’ll do that. I need to get a smaller pot for inside the actual pot for everything. Meat burns. Rice burns. Anything with a hint of tomato burns. It will successfully boil a non-tomato liquid and that’s about it.

If it would just get to pressure it would deglaze itself with the delicious juices. But it gets hot enough to scorch, then turns off, then turns on and scorches again, etc.

I don’t think an instant pot is for me!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ghost Cactus posted:

I know why the instant pot has a burn warning, I know what causes it, I know how to fix it, and it’s still aggravating.

Now I have a pot full of raw chicken that I need to cook on the stove for hours, and I have more dishes.

Maybe I should get a real pressure cooker.

I've heard that nonstick variants don't have this issue. I'm getting one with a ceramic inner pot to see if it helps with making onion masala.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've heard that nonstick variants don't have this issue. I'm getting one with a ceramic inner pot to see if it helps with making onion masala.

I didn’t know that was an option, and it sounds like it will help. Thank you!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?

The nonstick coating is coming off, either because metal tools scraped it off or because it overheated and burned off. It’s not dangerous but it’s gross since the coating will keep flaking off into your food. Replace the bowl with another non-stick one and treat it better, or stainless steel and don’t worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Pretty sure Teflon breaks down over 500°F and gives off PTME fumes causing nausea, that looks like heat damage from the element. Replace as hypnophant suggests.

I do my best to stick to stainless steel but a non stick that's treated well can last a few years.