Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0hFEPPOGKI

crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's beautiful

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Suddenly having draw down issues with my switch. Didn't change my technique, and grind size don't seem to matter much. It is a new coffee though. Brazilian.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the coffee. It happens sometimes with a new bag.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I ended up buying a Niche Zero for myself for my birthday. I kind of bought it to replace my old Capresso for pour over, but I was going to experiment with it for espresso too. After dialing it in the first acceptable shot I pulled was better than anything I've managed with my Sette in the last year and a half. Plan B was to get a Fellow Ode when the G2 burrs are standard, so now I'm extra tempted to do that too. I also can't shake the idea of getting a midrange espresso machine with a PID. poo poo is getting out of hand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bandire posted:

I ended up buying a Niche Zero for myself for my birthday. I kind of bought it to replace my old Capresso for pour over, but I was going to experiment with it for espresso too. After dialing it in the first acceptable shot I pulled was better than anything I've managed with my Sette in the last year and a half. Plan B was to get a Fellow Ode when the G2 burrs are standard, so now I'm extra tempted to do that too. I also can't shake the idea of getting a midrange espresso machine with a PID. poo poo is getting out of hand.

Amazing countertop, I think this is what all of our partners are afraid of when we first start in the hobby.

Since the niche is pretty much zero retention can't you just use it for whatever you want or does it retain enough that you can't do that?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bandire posted:

I can still see the countertop, so you have plenty of space.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

VelociBacon posted:

Amazing countertop, I think this is what all of our partners are afraid of when we first start in the hobby.

Since the niche is pretty much zero retention can't you just use it for whatever you want or does it retain enough that you can't do that?

It takes over your kitchen pretty quick. Fortunately I don't have anyone to tell me no.

In theory, I could use the Niche for both, but cycling the grind setting back and forth would probably lead to some inconsistency and be annoying. I'm going to give it a shot for a while though.

I'm pretty disappointed in the Sette. I didn't know enough on how the actual workflow would be before I bought it. The noise doesn't really bother me, but the Niche is drat near silent by comparison.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Added a pressure gauge and dimmer switch to my Gaggia. I bought it used and the PO installed a supposedly 9-bar spring, it shows 10 bar on the gauge at WOT so close enough.

I have a coffee subscription so I’m usually working with rather fresh and varied beans so I sometimes take a while to chase down the right grind for a new bag and then following the beans as they age.

My lovely palette tells me that the combo of preinfusion/lower pressure (8.5-9 bar) is giving me less bitter/sour shots though. I’m also a weirdo and like to do triple yield (21g in 63g out) though. I like lattes and that’s what I’ve found I enjoy the most consistently.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just had fun flailing around on a commercial grinder and a Sanremo F18. That's what happens when the barista disappears for 2 hours the day before soft opening and the non-baristas want to try the new grinder. 3 or 4 shots after 4 pm :peanut: :synthy:

E: A pour-over guy and a Flair-only guy are not very good at using a commercial machine. We did not touch the barista's settings, just tried to figure out which preset would work, to very mixed effect.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 1, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bandire posted:

Grats on the Niche. It's a great espresso grinder, and in my opinion, still the king of workflow. The Ode will make a great filter grinder (I use it with the upgraded SSP burrs alongside a Niche for espresso). I'm not sure how the Gen 2 burrs will compare to the SSP burrs (probably not as nice) but they'll almost certainly be better than the Niche for filter. I just hope they let you grind fine enough for lighter roast pourovers, something the gen 1 burrs struggled to do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My understanding is the Gen 2 burrs were designed explicitly to fix that flaw. SSP burrs in the Ode seem like a big leap in cost for what I'd use it for. I'm expecting the updated Ode to only go up like $50 if the standalone g2 burrs are $80.

I'm not in a hurry though. I probably need to do a little more reading on pour over grinders.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I managed to snag a less than year old Decent for a good price. I unfortunately bought a bag of new beans a few days ago and I don't know if I'm still dialing in or just really don't like this blend.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Spiggy posted:

I managed to snag a less than year old Decent for a good price. I unfortunately bought a bag of new beans a few days ago and I don't know if I'm still dialing in or just really don't like this blend.

Grats on the Decent! My dream machine! Pity they cost £3500+ to import to the UK! If the beans are really fresh, they might be too fresh to pull shots with? I usually let espresso beans rest about 2 weeks before pulling shots with them.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Gunder posted:

Grats on the Decent! My dream machine! Pity they cost £3500+ to import to the UK! If the beans are really fresh, they might be too fresh to pull shots with? I usually let espresso beans rest about 2 weeks before pulling shots with them.

It's probably that plus it being a dark roast when I usually stick to medium to medium-light blends. It's a little weird sounding but overall much less noisy than the Silvia.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The café soft launch went well. Really fun to follow their foibles :3:

Here was the signature drink - very sweet like a Starbucks drink but it had real flavor from the pandan, and not charcoal coffee. Butterfly tea gives it the color.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

where is this cafe I would like to go thx

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Irvine, CA - The Cup location is the only one open so far. Had it hot today, could really taste the pandan. I think I'll ask for half sweetness next time though!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if pandan tastes awful by itself because the only time I tried it was on a thick slice of toast smothered with kaya (coconut and pandan) jam at Boba Guys. It was so overhwhelmingly sweet it reminded me of vietnamese coffee but with a tub of condensed milk added.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I haven't put flavor in my coffee since I was in high school but Hood Famous in Seattle does a very subtle pandan latte that I don't mind at all. Supposedly their ube is also very good, not too sweet or overpowering.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 3, 2022

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Just made me some coffee using an SL34 from Myanmar that the Roaster has stored in seasalt for 2 years. Very light fermentation notes but super approachable. Mostly fruit flavors, but it got some earthy notes as well.
I'm actually quite happy that I have so many local roasters so close to me that all do very different stuff. Makes it easy to jump around and get a different tasting coffee every few weeks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

stored in seasalt for 2 years

lol what is even conceivably the point of this instead of storing it at a stable water %

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
None other than just seeing what happens, if there is a change. No science, just having some fun.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Looking for recommendations for a single dose pour over grinder. I have a Niche that I use for espresso and while I've really tried to make the Niche work for pour over, I keep running into too many fines. Budget is $800 max.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Looking for recommendations for a single dose pour over grinder. I have a Niche that I use for espresso and while I've really tried to make the Niche work for pour over, I keep running into too many fines. Budget is $800 max.

I don’t know if you can really do that much better than the niche at that price point, and frankly i’m surprised to hear you say you’re having a problem with fines. I can do a perfectly adequate pourover with an encore and i think it’s very unlikely that’s producing a much tighter grind than a niche with double the burr diameter. Lots of people report good results with pourovers from the niche - what are the results you’re getting and what makes you say the problem is fines?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Finally got around to making my own water using a couple recipes from online. Maybe it's because brisbane tap water is shithouse but the difference is night and day, even with plain old supermarket lavazza d'oro beans

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hypnophant posted:

I don’t know if you can really do that much better than the niche at that price point, and frankly i’m surprised to hear you say you’re having a problem with fines. I can do a perfectly adequate pourover with an encore and i think it’s very unlikely that’s producing a much tighter grind than a niche with double the burr diameter. Lots of people report good results with pourovers from the niche - what are the results you’re getting and what makes you say the problem is fines?

I've been using the Hario Switch mainly and get a thick layer of fines on the bed. I have been running into a lot of under-extraction using my main pourover method with the 4:6 recipe. I changed to a Switch out of desperation but haven't found the under=extraction going away.

Ironically, I made a lot better pour-over with an Encore and then a Virtuoso before purchasing the Niche.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

An SSP Ode is gonna be less than $500 and is massively better for filter.

Edit: $485 from Fellow direct. https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder?variant=39859573817444

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gunder posted:

An SSP Ode is gonna be less than $500 and is massively better for filter.

Edit: $485 from Fellow direct. https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder?variant=39859573817444

Is that the same thing as this for $330CAD?

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/collections/sale-items/products/fellow-ode-brew-grinder

Sorry for ugly link I'm in bed on my phone.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

VelociBacon posted:

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/collections/sale-items/products/fellow-ode-brew-grinder

The same grinder, yes. That one has the original burr set, which is not able to grind fine enough for some use cases. That said, that's a pretty great price for the grinder itself. That is tempting.

You can then get the SSP burrs for $185 or the updated G2 burrs from Fellow for $80. The G2 burrs are supposed to be a lot better than their original burrs.

Edit: gently caress it, ordered

Bandire fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 4, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Don’t think so. The one I linked comes with the upgraded SSP burrs. That’s why it costs more than a standard Ode.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been watching their site for a while waiting on them to incorporate the G2 burrs into their regular offering. The Standard Ode with the basic burrs is $300 from Fellow. You can get it with the SSP burrs installed for $485. Standalone those burrs are $185, but are sold out separately. The G2 burrs are $80 by themselves. I'm going to just see what the original burrs are like I guess and maybe order the g2 burrs or ssp burrs later and save some money either way.

https://fellowproducts.com/collections/grinder

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anybody who offers multiple ratio drinks (commercially or just at home) where do you draw the line between these? Here's what I got from a James Hoffmann video and a "European Coffee Trip" video he links to.

Ratios are espresso shot to milk.
Macchiato: from 1:1 to 1:2
Cortado: from 1:1 to 1:3.5
Piccolo Latte: 1:3 to 1:4
Latte: 1:4 to 1:7
Cappuccino: 1:4.5 to 1:7

Also, these ratios are for the steamed / foamed milk right? So a latte and cappuccino with the same ratio will actually contain different amounts of milk since the cappuccino has more air incorporated right?

Just for curiosity, tomorrow I'll watch the 34 minute video by Epicurious James also links to and see if there are even other disagreements.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Truth is, it probably mattered a lot more in the past when the terms were first coined, due to any number of reasons (dogma, marketing, need for novelty), but I'd still like to know if there's anything to learn here.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Any answers are also going to be culturally contingent. For example, in Spain, a cortado will typically come in a smaller, specific glass, but one in the states comes in a Gibraltar glass (thus the west coast name of "Gibraltar" for the drink) and our Aussie/Kiwi friends call a similar drink a piccolo. Similarly, some places will have both a flat white and a cappuccino on the menu, and sometimes they're the same size with a different foam proportion, sometimes one is the 6oz and one the 8oz, etc.

For what it's worth, my general listing:

macchiato: in a demitasse, microfoam to top
cortado/Gibraltar/piccolo (for the antipodians): as above
flat white/cappuccino: 6 or 8 ounce mug, filled to top
latte: 12oz mug, filled to top

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 5, 2022

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I do 8oz of steamed milk for a triple espresso shot because that’s what fits in my tumbler and it tastes good. I call it a latte.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i applied for a coffee recipe development job recently and had a go at one of my ideas using a single serving cafetiere. i'm allergic to caffeine and also egg and dairy free so i tested this recipe on my mother (who is diabetic, so i couldn't add sugar - we really won the genetic lottery) and she loved it. it'd be real sweet if some goons tested it for me and let me know what to tweak.

ingredients: one egg yolk, cofe of your choice, three green cardamom pods, enough hot water to fill your single serving cafetiere, steamed milk to taste (or unsteamed milk if you like iced cofe)

break your egg yolk, beat it just a little to aerate it (about twenty/thirty seconds), put it at the bottom of your cafetiere, crush your cardamom pods, add those in with the egg yolks, spoon in the coffee of your choice (i actually used instant coffee for this cuz i'm a dirtbag but it worked just fine), insert your plunger and filter and slowly pour a little of your hot water (until your cafetiere is about 1/4 full), use your plunger to better incorporate this and also to form a good froth, add the rest of your water whilst continuing to use the plunger to keep it frothy, then serve with your desired amount of steamed milk

for obvious reasons i am not a coffee drinker, but i find warming spices compliment the flavour really well, so i thought about adding a little grated long pepper, maybe some cinnamon or cassia, to make it like a vietnamese-style cafe touba. a little dark brown sugar or even jaggery wouldn't go amiss either

eta: i forgot to write where the coffee goes lol

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 7, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Edit: looks good now lol. Wondering if the egg shouldn't go after the 10 minutes of coffee extraction / cooling but I'll try it "as written" first.

I'll try it! I'm a bit confused - do you add coffee grounds at any point, or is this a foam to mix with brewed coffee or espresso at serving time, along with the milk?

I assume the hot water here is for brewing the coffee since otherwise that's more than one serving but having a hard time imagining how that would work, raw egg with dried grounds or maybe adding grounds 1/4 of the way through. Halp.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 7, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was also gonna ask where the coffee goes in that recipe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

BrianBoitano posted:

I'll try it! I'm a bit confused - do you add coffee grounds at any point, or is this a foam to mix with brewed coffee or espresso at serving time, along with the milk?

I assume the hot water here is for brewing the coffee since otherwise that's more than one serving but having a hard time imagining how that would work, raw egg with dried grounds or maybe adding grounds 1/4 of the way through. Halp.

oh poo poo lol i forgot to write in that you add coffee. got too excited about eggs lemme edit that rq. hot water is for brewing the coffee unless you want like, egg juice