Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

Yeah, that might be fair. Now think about how many Swiss or French you'd have to ask to label a map of Germany and list any state besides Bavaria on it. And they wouldn't be able to, and who cares? It's not any more relevant to a typical Parisian than it is for an American knowing which country is Austria.

I think these arguments miss the actual point: for all the pride a sizeable amount of Americans seem to take in their nation being the world's hegemon, they know startlingly little about the world they're supposed to be the hegemon of. The damning thing isn't that the average American can't distinguish between Slovenia and Slovakia, but e.g. that most of them can't identify Iran on a map, while it's supposed to be an important enemy power to them. This doesn't matter to, say, the average Moldovan person, as Moldova can neither project power world-wide nor has it any ambitions to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I think these arguments miss the actual point: for all the pride a sizeable amount of Americans seem to take in their nation being the world's hegemon, they know startlingly little about the world they're supposed to be the hegemon of. The damning thing isn't that the average American can't distinguish between Slovenia and Slovakia, but e.g. that most of them can't identify Iran on a map, while it's supposed to be an important enemy power to them. This doesn't matter to, say, the average Moldovan person, as Moldova can neither project power world-wide nor has it any ambitions to do so.

Unlike say the Brits and French who can't place most of the places maimed and by their nations, and in some cases still beholden to them economically.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

YouGov have just released a poll with Labour over thirty points ahead, which would mean… this:

Apparently the next general election in the UK will only happen in 2025? It'll be difficult to hold on to such an advantage for so long.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Phlegmish posted:

Apparently the next general election in the UK will only happen in 2025? It'll be difficult to hold on to such an advantage for so long.

Mid-January 2025 at the latest.

The perfect storm of Truss creating a sterling crisis, mortgage crisis, and pensions crisis in her first proper week in power (apparently we were hours from a run on pension funds on Wednesday) could be as lethal as Black Wednesday was to John Major's Tory government in late-1992.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

An election has to happen at most five years after the last one, but if the sitting parliament chooses to or it loses a vote of no confidence it can happen earlier.

Admittedly, neither of those are likely any time soon - Truss and her gang won't willingly leave until their golden parachutes are good and ready, and you'd need a significant amount of the tories to join a NC vote when it would be very likely to lose them their seats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

Mid-January 2025 at the latest.

The perfect storm of Truss creating a sterling crisis, mortgage crisis, and pensions crisis in her first proper week in power (apparently we were hours from a run on pension funds on Wednesday) could be as lethal as Black Wednesday was to John Major's Tory government in late-1992.

Oh yeah, looks like the Tories did lose the 1997 elections in a landslide, despite it being years later. I can see the comparison.

I haven't been paying much attention to UK politics, but apparently Liz Truss is making Boris Johnson look sane and rational, which is quite a feat. One of the Brits I play Vermintide 2 with was complaining about her a few days ago, and he's not even particularly left-wing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grape posted:

Unlike say the Brits and French who can't place most of the places maimed and by their nations, and in some cases still beholden to them economically.
There's a whole cohort of old Anglo Boomers who can obsessively name and place the countries where 'the immigrants' are coming from. They're just incapable of linking it to any larger Philosophy of History.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Even her father dislikes her. :laffo:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Long after the names of my grandchildren are beyond my old feeble brain I will vividly remember the day in highschool when a girl loudly asked in history class "Why are we bombing Baghdad when we are at war with Iraq?". As in, she thought both were countries. Yes this was in the USA, shortly after 9/11.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

By 2025 Brits will be resorting to cannibalism and either fighting for or being raided by one of several warring neo-barbarian factions.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

By 2025 Brits will be resorting to cannibalism and either fighting for or being raided by one of several warring neo-barbarian factions.

Sixteen hundred years only to end at the same place.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think by 2023 Brits are going to be burning wheelbarrows full of hyper-inflated pound sterling just to keep warm.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

FreudianSlippers posted:

By 2025 Brits will be

I admire your wild optimism

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

There's a whole cohort of old Anglo Boomers who can obsessively name and place the countries where 'the immigrants' are coming from. They're just incapable of linking it to any larger Philosophy of History.
Or they can, but the philosophy is "We should have never let them go".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kennedytcooper/status/1575483819204825091

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jefferson?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

That's America's Prostate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s an exclave of Mississippi.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The borders are too organic to be a real US state. 3/10, try again.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Reminds me of this map (found this copy on Reddit by image search, but not sure what the original source was):

Also apparently there's a Canada version:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RIP Galveston and the rest of Texas's coastline.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

state of disrepair?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

First of May posted:

That's America's Prostate

Uncomfortably close to America's Penis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Uncomfortably close to America's Penis

America has a penis, Europe has the Hapsburg jaw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

America has a penis, Europe has the Hapsburg jaw

ha i see it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow when you overlay the netherlands and randstad over holland it's really eye-opening

[costanza voice] then who are the dutch??

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd like to see Tokyo, Shanghai, Cairo, New Delhi and etc

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Count Roland posted:

Houston and Dallas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DFW would approximately cover the northern bulge of the country; groeningen, drenthe and friesland

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Houston and Dallas

Which I guess is also an exercise in "what the hell do the colors on these maps actually denote", since a few city shapes I tried weren't really that apparent, and the map sure didn't show off Cairo's bullshit sprawl.

i say swears online posted:

DFW would approximately cover the northern bulge of the country; groeningen, drenthe and friesland

Dang, you called it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh that's really funny the area you chose lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Netherlands friends, how would you feel if everything north of Zwolle was paved over?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Netherlands friends, how would you feel if everything north of Zwolle was paved over?

There's something north of Zwolle?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The San Francisco borders are absolutely deranged.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they should just drain san francisco bay, easy

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Just remove the tops of the mountains that encircle us and dump it all into the Bay, then this place would be as flat as the Netherlands. Problem solved.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Family Values posted:

Just remove the tops of the mountains that encircle us and dump it all into the Bay, then this place would be as flat as the Netherlands. Problem solved.

Solves weird climate, housing crisis, golden gate suicides and let’s you ride a bike around town. Folks this plans a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Platystemon posted:

The San Francisco borders are absolutely deranged.

I mean they're doing metro areas rather than cities proper, that should just have been labeled the Bay Area.