Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's race realism lol

It's been a long time since I read Animal Farm but I thought it was meant to be a criticism of republics by pointing out that while the monarchs had been removed, they had also been replaced by the mercantile class. The animals are not meant to represent races, but castes. Dogs are cops/military, horses and sheep are labor, pigs are big business, the human farmers were the monarchs etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Armadillo Tank posted:

its 6 gigs of wasted space that does nothing to improve the game

it doesn't even fix pathing

it can't fix pathing because original starcraft is still played and would just keep being played if anything actually changed.

that's not true they fixed valkyries not working right but that was a bug fix like they never actually fired missiles because their stupid missile count went over whatever draw limit the game had originally so it was just an actually unusable unit. im sure there's other differences but they really did try to make the same dumb game.

i got really into watching starcraft during the pandemic and also still, because the pandemic is still but mostly i like it.

this is a playlist featuring two really old people talking over it it makes great background noise or also something to watch.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

sirtommygunn posted:

It's been a long time since I read Animal Farm but I thought it was meant to be a criticism of republics by pointing out that while the monarchs had been removed, they had also been replaced by the mercantile class. The animals are not meant to represent races, but castes. Dogs are cops/military, horses and sheep are labor, pigs are big business, the human farmers were the monarchs etc etc.

I mean Orwell said it's explicitly about the run up to 1917 and Stalinism after so it's yeah a critique of tsarism in addition to a critique of Stalinism

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
f in chat for human nature

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reminds me, I've got a really neat 1917 printing of the iron heel I should probably read. did jack london get canceled for class treachery?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Don't read any of his dumbass books go read Steinbeck instead

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Voice of Labor posted:

reminds me, I've got a really neat 1917 printing of the iron heel I should probably read. did jack london get canceled for class treachery?

london is right there in his name

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Climate refugees are coming to my dumbass state

https://twitter.com/nickgerli1/status/1575913221621530859

And they're probably petit bourg cause who the gently caress can afford a home?? Well this sucks what the gently caress I thought collapse was gonna be cool instead of a bunch of Californians in my neighborhood

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Climate refugees are coming to my dumbass state

https://twitter.com/nickgerli1/status/1575913221621530859

And they're probably petit bourg cause who the gently caress can afford a home?? Well this sucks what the gently caress I thought collapse was gonna be cool instead of a bunch of Californians in my neighborhood

everyone is marching north as the southern latitudes get too hot to live in. it's called adaptation

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
whenever a politician says that we have to adapt to climate change i want them to be more specific about what they mean. because they mean everyone will need to abandon their homes and flee to somewhere that is temporarily safer, until that area too becomes too hostile for humanity and they must march even further north. adapting to climate change is not just building a few solar panels and putting different windows in your house

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Stereotype posted:

whenever a politician says that we have to adapt to climate change i want them to be more specific about what they mean. because they mean everyone will need to abandon their homes and flee to somewhere that is temporarily safer, until that area too becomes too hostile for humanity and they must march even further north. adapting to climate change is not just building a few solar panels and putting different windows in your house

no I’m pretty sure everyone just needs to buy a new EV truck and that pretty much takes care of that, idiot

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Well not too far North or else you end back in tropical temps :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would simply not read a book.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That -22% in CT certainly explains why I'm constantly scratching my head at all the takes here about the housing market collapsing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'd be surprised if the housing market collapses. If it goes into a buyer's market for a little while that's normal but a collapse would mean investment firms stopped buying them in cash which I don't see any reason for at least in the US

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

I would simply not read a book.

burn the books free their carbon

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Stereotype posted:

one could say capital has been accelerated, due to the last fifty years of innovation being used primarily to facilitate its speed and influence, so that it has multilaterally infested everything from an individual’s psychology, to the dynamics of resource systems stretching as far below, and above us, so as to become ubiquitous

some question whether there is any escape from it

some think you gotta transition resources and infrastructure out of it and develop institutions and communities that cannot be commodified so as to withstand the shocks of hypercapitalism

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

The Voice of Labor posted:

jack london is hardcore racist, that's his main flaw

Shima Honnou posted:

london is right there in his name

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

if you're looking for old white men soothsaying and getting some things eerily right, the sheep look up is far from perfect but worth reading

in the same genre is rime's favourite book that he shared here once and it was the most insane abhorrent bullshit i've ever read lol. but the central premise was that the uk's first and only response to a global food catastrophe was to calmly nuke all their own cities and the citizens therein before they could riot, an insider insight into english psychology that i appreciate and respect

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

george miller's tacit confession that he dreams of being saved from mad max hell by a giant magical idris elba has endeared me to his work

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Iron Crowned posted:

Stop jackin' it in front of the TV

Throwback https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/nord-stream-rupture-may-mark-biggest-single-methane-release-ever-recorded-un-2022-09-30/

quote:

Sept 30 (Reuters) - The ruptures on the Nord Stream natural gas pipeline system under the Baltic Sea have led to what is likely the biggest single release of climate-damaging methane ever recorded, the United Nations Environment Programme said on Friday.

A huge plume of highly concentrated methane, a greenhouse gas far more potent but shorter-lived than carbon dioxide, was detected in an analysis this week of satellite imagery by researchers associated with UNEP's International Methane Emissions Observatory, or IMEO, the organization said.

“This is really bad, most likely the largest emission event ever detected," Manfredi Caltagirone, head of the IMEO for UNEP, told Reuters. “This is not helpful in a moment when we absolutely need to reduce emissions.”

Researchers at GHGSat, which uses satellites to monitor methane emissions, estimated the leak rate from one of four rupture points was 22,920 kilograms per hour. That is equivalent to burning about 630,000 pounds of coal every hour, GHGSat said in a statement.

"This rate is very high, especially considering it's four days following the initial breach," the company said.

The total amount of methane leaking from the Gazprom-led (GAZP.MM) pipeline system may be higher than from a major leak that occurred in December from offshore oil and gas fields in Mexican waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which spilled around 100 metric tons of methane per hour, Caltagirone said.

The Gulf of Mexico leak, also viewable from space, ultimately released around 40,000 metric tons of methane over 17 days, according to a study conducted by the Polytechnic University of Valencia and published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology Letters.

That is the equivalent of burning 1.1 billion pounds of coal, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator.

Improved satellite technology has rapidly enhanced the ability of scientists to find and analyze greenhouse gas emissions in recent years, something some governments hope will help companies detect and prevent methane emissions.

The major leaks that suddenly erupted in the Nord Stream gas pipelines that run from Russia to Europe have generated plenty of theories but few clear answers about who or what caused the damage. Both Russia and the European Union have suggested the ruptures were caused by saboteurs.

Europe and the United States have heaped sanctions on Moscow in retaliation for its invasion of Ukraine, raising worries the Kremlin will seek to deprive Europe of crucial energy supplies leading into the winter.

Caltagirone said, whatever the cause, the damage to the pipeline posed a problem beyond energy security. “This is the most wasteful way to generate emissions,” he said

cool. neat. rad.

I wonder how this compares to the hypothetical release of the laptev sea methane.

also man i totally forgot about the gulf of mexico leak.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Oct 2, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Things aren't actually that bad if you don't think about all the bad stuff.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
we're not dead at this very moment (I checked), which means everything is fine

stop worrying

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Paradoxish posted:

we're not dead at this very moment (I checked),

Did you check inside?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Microplastics posted:

Did you check inside?

User name post etc

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

climate change only happens outside

so i'm sure we'll be fine

kater
Nov 16, 2010

its a shame they didn't make that oil pipeline indoors

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i'm still dead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

don't dead, climate inside

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

an egg posted:

in the same genre is rime's favourite book that he shared here once and it was the most insane abhorrent bullshit i've ever read lol. but the central premise was that the uk's first and only response to a global food catastrophe was to calmly nuke all their own cities and the citizens therein before they could riot, an insider insight into english psychology that i appreciate and respect

I think I brought this book up, initially. I found out that it existed and read it on a whim like 10 years ago because as a middle schooler I had liked the YA SF that the author went on to write. I'd say that it's good I didn't read The Death of Grass at that age. I didn't think any of the main characters were supposed to be sympathetic. It was a surprisingly grim and black hearted take on humanity from someone who went on to write what I remember as a bunch of hero's-journey stuff about kids fighting aliens that have taken over the world with mind control.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

1984 is a good book imo but a lot is probably lost if you're not english since it's all about how poo poo England is

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/nord-stream-rupture-may-mark-biggest-single-methane-release-ever-recorded-un-2022-09-30/

cool. neat. rad.

I wonder how this compares to the hypothetical release of the laptev sea methane.

also man i totally forgot about the gulf of mexico leak.

2025 seems just about right

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
OIL REFINERIES ARE PUMPING UNTOLD AMOUNTS OF CRINGE INTO THE ECO SYSTEM. :negative: I AM GOING TO BLOW MY loving BRAINS OUT

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I do not know what world war 3 will be fought over. But world war 4 will be fought over cringefied water supplies.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Theres cringe in the air.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
some are making efforts to reduce the amount of cringe, but i fear it might be too late.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
our world is a car on a collision course with a wall. The wall? Cringe.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Maybe we should take a page out of the hippocratic oath: First, do no cringe.
what if we applied that to our daily lives to relieve the planet earth of its suffering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Extreme cringe detected. Environment not safe.